What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,121 comments
My HP Omen's primary hard drive (the boot drive) has been dying a slow death over the past year, with the computer getting slower and slower. Figured it was high time to get everything fixed up and running like new, so I opened the PC up.

Cleaned out the three fans, and am currently in the process of cloning the main drive to a Samsung Evo 3 SSD to give it a new lease on life.

My smaller HDTV, which I have used as my TV and later as my PC monitor and in a multi-monitor setup... has died on me. So now all I have for a separate monitor for a multiple monitor setup is my big HDTV. My big monitor, surprisingly, goes up to 720p while my main PC monitor does 1080p. I'm not complaining. I used the HDTV output for my previous monitor. I used it for audio output when I am not discreetly listening to things on my PC. Finally,, it has died on me. So I am back to a VGA monitor setup with the proper PC monitor I've used. Sad deal.

For quite some time, one of my favourite things I like to do is tinkering with old PCs.
The latest one is this: a completely base-spec IBM ThinkPad A31. (These pics were shot the moment I recieved it)
CPU: Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M @1.60GHz
RAM: SODIMM PC2100 DDR @128MB
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (16MB DDR)
The lid is a bit scuffed, but the rest of the PC is in amazing conditions (if a bit dirty and sad for the years of neglect)
photo_2022-06-11_17-58-49.jpg

photo_2022-06-11_18-27-05.jpg

(It has a DVD/CD-RW combo, a floppy drive and a IR port like a proper PC should :lol:)
photo_2022-06-11_18-24-27.jpg

The screen is dirty too, but it's actually quite crisp and bright (the pictures do not do justice), also the keyboard feels amazing and it almost feels like someone never typed on it.

This has been salvaged by my uncle at his workplace, it had a lot of things missing but I'm trying to restore it or at least, make it as good as possible.
Today I did a good deal of work on it; I've installed a SSD via a mSATA to IDE adapter, installed Windows XP and I've cleaned it up quite a bit.
Also I discovered that the 6-cell battery STILL holds a charge, it lasts maybe 30 minutes but it's impressive considering how much time has passed since its last time and it has less than 200 cycles.

photo_2022-06-29_02-46-47.jpg

This is a pic of it in its current state, it's as clean as I can get it to be and it's in a nearly complete state.
They really didn't make them like they used to, huh?

I had a ThinkPad for work a while ago. Trying to put my finger on exactly when. I think it was probably newer than this one. Maybe 2005-2010 or thereabouts.

I remember it had an "illuminated keyboard" - not backlit keys like in a modern style, but a single LED in the top of the screen which shone down on the keys. It was surprisingly useful, and I would wager consumed less power than the current backlit lot.

It was a great machine. I've only had a couple of work laptops where I thought "Yeah, I'd buy one of these with my own money." My current HP x360, and that old ThinkPad.

-Vivaldi had, for a few days, decided to not send notifications when I download images.
Reopening the Downloads panel and closing it somehow fixed the problem.

-Transferring music and some photos from my old phone and laptop to my new phone

I had a ThinkPad for work a while ago. Trying to put my finger on exactly when. I think it was probably newer than this one. Maybe 2005-2010 or thereabouts.

I remember it had an "illuminated keyboard" - not backlit keys like in a modern style, but a single LED in the top of the screen which shone down on the keys. It was surprisingly useful, and I would wager consumed less power than the current backlit lot.

It was a great machine. I've only had a couple of work laptops where I thought "Yeah, I'd buy one of these with my own money." My current HP x360, and that old ThinkPad.
That LED must be the best thing about that laptop: it illuminates the keyboard quite well but it's quite subtle and, in a very dark room, shines some light around the computer (and I find it quite handy in some situations).
Backlit keyboards are nice, but a simple light does the trick for me :cheers:

What started as "hey why isn't my phone playing this song" turned into "oh hey it doesn't support this audio file type let's convert it" before becoming "finally begin pulling together non-poo quality album covers to either give them one or make it look kinda alright"

Now I wait for my Chromebook to decide to either:
  • drain the battery to 0% so I can plop it on the charger to save tabs and powerwash it
  • stay on long enough to save tabs and powerwash it

Last edited:
I am back and forth on when I should upgrade my computer. I have already upgraded the video card, but the rest of the machine is not up to matching a 3080.

Replaced a GPU fan.

I'd never really replaced a component on a particular card before. But my GPU fan was dying, and GPUs are valuable enough these days that it seemed like it was worth fixing rather than buying a new one. A $10 fan and a few screws later the GPU is back to normal.

Oh man, you can just do a drop-in replacement instead of a full-on upgrade if that's what you meant. You could grab anything in the 5000 series and have a good time. 5700/5800x is hovering under $300 and even cheaper at like $270 and below at Microcenter (If you have one in your area) Even the 5600x would be life changing coming from the 2600x (the 2600x was in my second ever DIY built, too!) And if you really wanna spend some money, you can grab the 5800X3D. It's supposedly going to have a price cut after the announcement of the 7000 series from AMD. I bought mine from Microcenter as it was on sale for $400 and had a coupon to take off another $25. So for $375 I ain't mad at all. Beastly CPU

Good luck with whatever you decide! But I'd say definitely grab something from that 5000 series line up if you can. Will take full advantage of your 3080.

I agree, just upgrading your CPU to the latest would be enough. However, if you do do this, do not forget to update your BIOS first before you install a Zen 3 CPU as the 300 series motherboards do not natively support Zen 3

If I were to upgrade Zen 3, then I would also grab some more and faster RAM, along with a bigger power supply. I need to do the power supply regardless because I am right about at the limit. My only hesitance on upgrading Zen 3 is Zen 4 being announced soon. Though, I wonder how long before we see those on shelves.

If I were to upgrade Zen 3, then I would also grab some more and faster RAM, along with a bigger power supply. I need to do the power supply regardless because I am right about at the limit. My only hesitance on upgrading Zen 3 is Zen 4 being announced soon. Though, I wonder how long before we see those on shelves.
Zen4 will be on shelves by October. Bank that. It appears that you just gotta determine what you wanna do. Be it a full system upgrade to Zen4 or an in-socket upgrade to Zen3. Which goes back to my original point, you just gotta decide how much money you're trying to spend.

I am leaning heavily towards upgrading to the 5800X3D. I will also be adding another SSD--the three I have are full enough--more RAM, a bigger power supply, and a Noctua CPU cooler.

I am leaning heavily towards upgrading to the 5800X3D. I will also be adding another SSD--the three I have are full enough--more RAM, a bigger power supply, and a Noctua CPU cooler.
I dig that my mans. As a 5800X3D owner, you will not regret it. Gaming is buttery smooth.

Historically, AMD socket changes have taken a while to iron out. I probably wouldn't go to Zen 4 until Q3 next year at the earliest. Plus DDR5 is far too expensive. At this point an in-socket upgrade is the way forward, especially as you also identified some other components to upgrade. Your SSD and PSU could be carried forward to a Zen 4 build.

I dig that my mans. As a 5800X3D owner, you will not regret it. Gaming is buttery smooth.
Historically, AMD socket changes have taken a while to iron out. I probably wouldn't go to Zen 4 until Q3 next year at the earliest. Plus DDR5 is far too expensive. At this point an in-socket upgrade is the way forward, especially as you also identified some other components to upgrade. Your SSD and PSU could be carried forward to a Zen 4 build.
Not wanting to deal with a new socket is what pushed me to upgrade my Zen 3 build. I ordered everything yesterday. Not related to the computer build because I was planning on a different third monitor, but I also bought another 32" monitor to go with my current 32" and 27". My entire desk and setup will have to be rearranged to accommodate it, but I have been wanting to rearrange it anyway and this will get me to do that.

Last edited:
Nothing done to my personal computer. The last thing I did to it was replace my dual 24" monitors with a single ultrawide, curved 32" monitor.

Most recently, my new job sent me a computer to use for the job. I honestly thought we'd be using our own computers for the job. But the computer they sent is a tiny thing. It's about the size of an Apple Mac Mini; but it's a Dell. They also sent a (crappy) keyboard, a (crappy) mouse, a (crappy) monitor, and a cheap headset. The monitor is an LCD, but it's really thick, so I imagine it's probably quite old. However, I'm not using it. I plugged the work computer into my personal monitor and can just switch back and forth between it and my own computer. Hopefully they'll allow me to do that. If not, then I'll have to set up the other monitor. But it's a pain since it takes up desk space and it has to sit to the side since my personal monitor is mounted to the wall.

The headset they sent is a cheap Plantronics set. I have a decent Logitech headset saved to my Amazon list that I'll probably end up buying. The Plantronics is not comfortable at all. My gaming headset, Logitech G935, works just fine, and is really comfortable, but they don't allow wireless peripherals. If they did, I'd get a wireless headset, and wireless keyboard and mouse combo to use. As it is, I have so many extra wires on my desk that it's really annoying. I hate clutter and don't like extra wires if it can be avoided. But it is what it is and I have to deal with it.

Thankfully the actual computer is tiny so it doesn't take up much room. And I imagine it's got either an SSD or some other small form-factor hard drive in it. It doesn't really make any sound when it's on, and it boots up pretty quick.

ETA: This is what the computer they sent looks like (picture is bigger than the actual computer).
51NQfL97B-L._AC_SL1000_600x.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing done to my personal computer. The last thing I did to it was replace my dual 24" monitors with a single ultrawide, curved 32" monitor.

Most recently, my new job sent me a computer to use for the job. I honestly thought we'd be using our own computers for the job. But the computer they sent is a tiny thing. It's about the size of an Apple Mac Mini; but it's a Dell. They also sent a (crappy) keyboard, a (crappy) mouse, a (crappy) monitor, and a cheap headset. The monitor is an LCD, but it's really thick, so I imagine it's probably quite old. However, I'm not using it. I plugged the work computer into my personal monitor and can just switch back and forth between it and my own computer. Hopefully they'll allow me to do that. If not, then I'll have to set up the other monitor. But it's a pain since it takes up desk space and it has to sit to the side since my personal monitor is mounted to the wall.

The headset they sent is a cheap Plantronics set. I have a decent Logitech headset saved to my Amazon list that I'll probably end up buying. The Plantronics is not comfortable at all. My gaming headset, Logitech G935, works just fine, and is really comfortable, but they don't allow wireless peripherals. If they did, I'd get a wireless headset, and wireless keyboard and mouse combo to use. As it is, I have so many extra wires on my desk that it's really annoying. I hate clutter and don't like extra wires if it can be avoided. But it is what it is and I have to deal with it.

Thankfully the actual computer is tiny so it doesn't take up much room. And I imagine it's got either an SSD or some other small form-factor hard drive in it. It doesn't really make any sound when it's on, and it boots up pretty quick.

ETA: This is what the computer they sent looks like (picture is bigger than the actual computer).
51NQfL97B-L._AC_SL1000_600x.jpg
We just got some of our work stations in the hangar upgraded to these. Does the job for pulling up manuals and browsing the internet.

Not wanting to deal with a new socket is what pushed me to upgrade my Zen 3 build. I ordered everything yesterday. Not related to the computer build because I was planning on a different third monitor, but I also bought another 32" monitor to go with my current 32" and 27". My entire desk and setup will have to be rearranged to accommodate it, but I have been wanting to rearrange it anyway and this will get me to do that.
Here are the updated build specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P6 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack
Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Asus ProArt Display PA278QV 27.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor
Monitor: HP X32 31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor
Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless Wireless Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech Pro X Headset
Keyboard: Custom Squid 60 w/Glorious Panda Switches and Cannon Keys NicePBT Black on Grey Keycaps or GMK 80082 Keycaps

My PC has become something of a money sink. Because I'm not picking up a new case for the foreseeable future and am sticking with the HAF-X, I've decided to modernize a bit where I can and the list of things I want to do grows by the week or so.

Anyway, I bought some ARGB strips last week and they've arrived today and already installed. Spent most of the day taking care of that, getting the cable extensions situated, and repasting the 5800X with some Kryonaut...just because. Everything was already outside of the case, so why not?

5qCimC1.jpg

A look at the extensions. I desperately wanted to break up all of the black, and the safest way to do that without going overboard (for me) was simply black and white. Here we are. Oh, the 2080 is repasted and all thermal pads were replaced. Made a tremendous difference as temps dropped anywhere from 12-20C+!

U0JhKY3.jpg

Close-up of the strip. It's in two parts that are daisy-chained by a three-pin connector.

qyIZU0k.jpg

Why this picture, you ask? The ARGB connector from the 140mm fan is tucked underneath the board, as is the connector from the strip itself, but there's also the 200mm ARGB fan up front that's daisy-chained here as well. All tucked and tied together neatly!

I should point out just in case...all of the daisy-chaining is beneath, tucked behind the PSU. The actual connection to the board is from the strip and it branches off from there.

ks9AsPS.jpg

The light show.

All that's left now is replacing the remaining fans (side intake on the panel door, the exhaust(s) (I'll buy a second fan for the top) at the top, and the Noctua fans...all with Noctua fans :lol: ), there's a later revision of the HAF-X where the front panel connections are native USB 3 and not the passthrough the original was.

I'm trying to find that module so I can swap it with the original, or I'll just buy a front panel USB 3 bay with a C connector and call it a day. I don't think there's anything else, outside of a new fan controller but that's not necessary in the least.

I'm done for the time being...I hope. :lol:

I just upgraded from an RX 590 to an RX 6700XT. Now the prices have started to come down I felt better about splashing out on it lol. On scan UK it's going for £620 but Overclockers UK had it for only £430.

One thing I don't get is the recommended PSU power ratings, the old card(RX590) needed a 550 watt PSU and drew about 370 max from the wall(full PC). The new card needs a 650 watt psu but the only way I could get it to draw a similar amount of power to the RX590 was to crank the power limiter to the max 15%+. I only have a 550 watt psu but it should be fine, plus I have undervolted to new card and for a few % performance loss I have dropped about 50 watts off peak draw.

I just upgraded from an RX 590 to an RX 6700XT. Now the prices have started to come down I felt better about splashing out on it lol. On scan UK it's going for £620 but Overclockers UK had it for only £430.

One thing I don't get is the recommended PSU power ratings, the old card(RX590) needed a 550 watt PSU and drew about 370 max from the wall(full PC). The new card needs a 650 watt psu but the only way I could get it to draw a similar amount of power to the RX590 was to crank the power limiter to the max 15%+. I only have a 550 watt psu but it should be fine, plus I have undervolted to new card and for a few % performance loss I have dropped about 50 watts off peak draw.
I believe with the AMD cards the recommended PSU capacity is high to allow for transient power spikes. I could've run my RX 6900 XT quite easily with my old 750w PSU but it wouldn't have enough overhead to handle any power spikes, hence the 850w recommendation from the manufacturer.

This video explains it pretty well:

I believe with the AMD cards the recommended PSU capacity is high to allow for transient power spikes. I could've run my RX 6900 XT quite easily with my old 750w PSU but it wouldn't have enough overhead to handle any power spikes, hence the 850w recommendation from the manufacturer.

This video explains it pretty well:

Ah right I see now, hopefully my 550 watt should just be enough then it's a good quality unit (supernova G2). I haven't seen anything crazy high on monitoring software but it seems the spike happen too fast to be registered.

Latest Posts

Back