What is a hot lap and out lap?

• Thread starter jacksmith
  • 7 comments
Out lap is the lap during which the car gets out of the pits. A hot lap is basically a fast lap. It could be more specific such as when it refers to a qualifying lap. The out lap would be the one before that.

Some other lingo; in-lap, which is basically the lap before or on which they pit I assume. Also penulltimate lap I believe is the second last lap.

Out lap is the lap during which the car gets out of the pits. A hot lap is basically a fast lap. It could be more specific such as when it refers to a qualifying lap. The out lap would be the one before that.

Thanks but who decides and how can you find out if the driver is going to do a hot lap(qualifying lap).I hear martin brundle saying alonso is on a hot lap and I wonder what is it and how does he know he is on a hot lap.

Thanks but who decides and how can you find out if the driver is going to do a hot lap(qualifying lap).I hear martin brundle saying alonso is on a hot lap and I wonder what is it and how does he know he is on a hot lap.
One can tell if a driver is on a hot lap by the drivers sector times. Each circuit is split into (usually) 3 sectors. When the driver crosses a sector with a very competitive time, it can be assumed that the driver is on a hot lap. There are occasions, like in qualifying, where the driver has very little time to post a competitive lap, in those cases any fast lap is obviously a hot lap.

There is no exact definition in F1 for a hot lap. The commentator can apply it how they went. If Alonso crossed the line, completing his out-lap, and was going at a decent pace a commentator could say that he is on a hot lap.

During qualifying, cars obviously need to come in and out of the pit lane... a lap immediately after exiting the pits is called an 'out lap' and a lap that ends with a car coming into the pits is an 'in lap'. Any other laps are 'full laps' where the car starts and ends the lap by crossing the start/finish line. A 'hot lap' is any full lap attempted at full pace. Optimal qualifying conditions are fresh tyres and only as much fuel as is needed to complete one three-lap set of 'out lap', 'hot lap' and 'in lap', but sometimes drivers will stay out for longer, so long as they have enough fuel to do so.

You can also tell if a driver is on an out lap or a hot lap as out laps are not timed, due to the car having exited the pits instead of crossing the start/finish line.

In laps are also timed, but if the driver is more than about 3 seconds off the pace in normal conditions then the chances are it's an in lap.

Back