What is Drifting?

I'm new to the concept and i've been playing Gran Turismo 3 and 4 for a while and was wonder what exactly is drifting and what is so good about it. Forgive me I am new to drifting.

"Drifting is a high-skill level motor-sport in which drivers control a car while it slides from side to side at high speed through a fixed course. It is similar to Rally racing on ice barn, but is done on a tarmac (paved course) and judged on speed, angle of attack, execution and style rather than just who finishes the fastest. Drift cars are typically compact to midsized, rear-wheel-drive sport cars. The goal is to apply enough power to the rear wheels to break the tires' traction and initiate a slide while accelerating the vehicle forward, or "drift" Once a drift is initiated, it must be maintained through the turn using nearly a full power, a tap of braking and precise counter steering."
-D1GP definition of drifting

welcome to the drift forum. I'm sure you'll find this style of motorsport most rewarding and entertaining. catch some of the member's vid's, they provide a good demo on what you're wanting to know ;)

Vette Racing
I'm new to the concept and i've been playing Gran Turismo 3 and 4 for a while and was wonder what exactly is drifting and what is so good about it. Forgive me I am new to drifting.

I'm gonna nip this in the bud right now.

In this case google might be your friend.
some link i found with google
i'm sure there's better sites than this, this is just what i found on the first page of results

basically, drifting is controlling the car past the limit of its tires. I forget who made the comparison, but its sorta like figure skating in a car. I dont really like the idea of being a GT4 figure skater, but the analogy fits.

Whats so good about it?
its fun;
its all about control and precision, and less about speed;
it requires considerable skill and understanding to put together a clean lap, or a good demonstration;
i guess you could look at it as a form of expressing yourself;
and most of all, it just looks so cool :sly:
thats my quick take on it. I know there will be more to follow.

well here is how i see it,

GRIP DRIVING = getting from point A to point B in the fastest way possible..
DRIFTING = getting from point A to point B in style...

Drifter5

d3p0
Drifting = Getting from point A to B as fast as possible with the most angle and using the best line.

this is gonna start the whole grip vs drifting thing again lol... it just depends, lets just leave it at that.

hehe, indeed it is.

~TankSpanker takes the frilly pink tutu off of his car and puts some snow goggles over the headlights

Drifter5

i would argue that one can be stylish grip driving as well.

personally, i think all driving is a mixture of art, technique, and balls 👍.

and fyi, i wear a pink skirt EVERYtime i drive my car :P

Shoes_98ls
i would argue that one can be stylish grip driving as well.

personally, i think all driving is a mixture of art, technique, and balls 👍.

and fyi, i wear a pink skirt EVERYtime i drive my car :P

oh no dont get me wrong, i am not sayin grip driving has no style in them, but i am sayin that drifting has more style. its alot fun-er to watch than grip driving IMO. but hey i do agree that driving is mixture of art, technique and balls. takes alot of that to be able to drive down a strait with 200mph and comeing up to a hard right with out crapping in your pants. that last line...i hope that you are a girl...if not that is jus wrong. :ill:

Don't confuse drifting with cars only how ever... I like to fly fish in my spare time for trout... I use a Drift technique that involves you drifting a nymph along the bottom or near the bottom to entice a fish to strike. So try that too I find it extremely fun

what about AWD cars? you pretty much have to break all 4 tires loose to get them drifting.

as for the question at hand....what is drifting? I suggest downloading the recent videos people have been posting. that should give you a good idea 👍

194GVan
what about AWD cars? you pretty much have to break all 4 tires loose to get them drifting.

as for the question at hand....what is drifting? I suggest downloading the recent videos people have been posting. that should give you a good idea 👍

YThat is why drifting a A/4WD car is so hard, because all of the wheels will break, So you need to work on the settings to overcome this.

There is a big difference between a powerslide and AWD drifting. I'm not sure you understand this difference. A "power slide" would be a controlled slide while all four wheels are "sliding" out of control, so to speak. In the type of AWDrifting done in this forum, the wheels are not merely "sliding," they are indeed drifting, being powered by the engine to create enough power to break the tires' traction, not just sliding because you're going too fast or you ripped the e-brake.

Basically, a powerslide is a controlled braking drift, AWDrifting is using the exact same principles as regular drifting, only you have to create massive understeer (front wheels spinning) otherwise the AWD will literally PULL you out of the drift.

Man, I really suck at explaining this. Sorry if there's any confusion. :crazy:

when AWD/4WD drifting you use the front wheel to pull you thru the corner, its more of a low angle drift, but faster, IF you dont mess with the whole AYC to make it into a RWD car.

Back