What is everyone's aversion to TCS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mindspin311
  • 40 comments
  • 2,809 views
Messages
63
Messages
Justin_L_311
So I have seen this a lot on this board, and I am sort of baffled about how many boast about driving w/o TCS and how others who use it are far less superior.

What irks me the most about this, is cars in REAL LIFE that have TCS on the car. Same goes for race cars.

I understand wanting to drive the car like it was designed, but why am I not allowed to use TCS on my modern street and race cars when I play online?

Can someone please enlighten me? Some of the greatest race car drivers pilot cars what are equipped with TCS, yet I'm not allowed to drive that same car with TCS when I race online.
 
I find that TCS is allowed in most rooms online, though I never use it. It doesn't make me superior, I just don't want the traction control getting in the way of fun and speed.

As for the occasional TCS restrictions online, some races do ban aids and other things, so I think it's fine.

You can always make your own TCS enabled room.
 
I host many very fast and clean online rooms. I ban all aids except TCS & ABS.

TCS is fine because it won't make you faster, and some people are more comfortable with it. I don't use it, but I won't stop you from doing so.

SRF, ASM and Driving Line are always banned though.
 
Can someone please enlighten me? Some of the greatest race car drivers pilot cars what are equipped with TCS, yet I'm not allowed to drive that same car with TCS when I race online.

It's easy to explain. For most cars and skilled drivers, you are much faster without any TCS. So most skilled drivers do not use it, and often will note they aren't using it when discussing how to tune their cars.

This evolved to people assuming they are not very credible as drivers if they use the aid. In reality, there are some cars (And some levels of driver skill) where TCS makes you faster and is a sensible option.

Those who sneer down on TCS use don't make any sense 99% of the time. You should be faster without it, and if that's not your experience, then you should work on your driving skill. Those who act like it's a cheat are really exposing that they are slow.

Anyway, another factor is that a lot of people are constantly trying to find ways to filter online games to have quality competitors, and one way to try is to make the racing more difficult. That's a different issue. A race of tricky Enzos with no TCS probably doesn't appeal to most of the worst drivers, after all.

Anyway, there should be no shame in using TCS. If the car is very difficult to control (like a super fast F1 car), even a great driver is faster with this aid. But usually, the aid slows you down.
 
i only use it when i drive with a DS3 its hard to actually control the car with that.
But with mt DFGT i dont use it
 
That aversion is nothing compared with what "Skid recovery force" produce. I think sometimes TCS at 1 can help a lot.
 
i only use it when i drive with a DS3 its hard to actually control the car with that.
But with mt DFGT i dont use it

That is why I use it. Although, I can control most lower powered cars without it, it is definitely difficult.

Based off my observations, 8/10 rooms I go into do not allow it. And they are all high HP or PP rooms where race cars or RM cars are being used.

The Peugeot 908 has 1000ft/lbs or more. Thats hard to control!
 
I noticed in GT4 that all the assists made you slower. Turn everything off and you could gain as much as three seconds a lap. ASM made you slower in the corners, and TCS made you slower on the exit.

I assume this is still true, at least to some extent, in GT5, though I have not tested it. But what I do know, is that all the cars feel a lot better with the assists off. You can feel the "assists" (inhibitors would be a better name) kick in, and the car just feels like it's not being driven by you. You hit the gas and nothing happens.

So, if you go faster, and have more fun, why not turn them off? I think that's the basic reason why many people are always telling others to turn the stuff off. Of course if a given car is too much to handle, you have no choice but to leave some assists on.

Skid recovery force is a completely different thing, though, it's basically a cheat.
 
I think its more challenging to play with all of it shut down :) so I also host rooms with the aids turned off :)
 
Some modern race cars have tcs and stuff and others don't. LMP cars seem to have it but Super GT cars for example doesn't. When i host rooms i personally don't limit tcs use even though i don't use it. It just doesn't give that kind of advantage and can even slow some cars down. Unfortunately the GT5 version of tcs isn't as good as the one used in real life prototype racing... :)
 
The only driving aid that bothers me is Skid Recovery Force which just basically alters the physics. All others I'm okay with people using because they just slow you down.
 
I prefer not to use it, without it the game is much more fun IMO. IDC if other people do though.
 
I can manage, its just easier to set it at 1 on the DS3 haha
 
Skid recovery force is a completely different thing, though, it's basically a cheat.

Yeah. It's akin to a cheat code. I don't think people are cheaters exactly, since we all can use it, but it's certainly not fair for one to use it as anything other than a 'I suck and this is a way to handicap my relative competition'.

Honestly, it breaks the game. The miracle of modern cars is how controllable they are under extreme use. Working out how to get a car to handle well is the entire point, so why flip a toggle and make that automatic?
 
You shouldn't need it on the pad, to be honest... it's a case of practice-makes-perfect.

Very few specification series allow TCS (I can't actually think of any, though I'm sure someone can), that's probably one of the reasons that it's frowned on slightly.
 
The Peugeot 908 has 1000ft/lbs or more. Thats hard to control!

I think it's one of the easiest to drive. The amount of torque or power doesn't matter, we have throttle for that.

What makes a car hard to drive is peaky power curves, like the Escudo's.

I think its more challenging to play with all of it shut down :) so I also host rooms with the aids turned off :)

For my own curiousity (and I guess the topic starter's as well) why not just allow TC? You can drive with it off even if you host a room allowing it.
 
Last edited:
You shouldn't need it on the pad, to be honest... it's a case of practice-makes-perfect.

Very few specification series allow TCS (I can't actually think of any, though I'm sure someone can), that's probably one of the reasons that it's frowned on slightly.

Are you referring to specification series like the ALMS/LMS/DTM/Etc?

If so, you are very mistaken. To my knowledge, only F1 has banned TCS.

ALMS/LMS/FIA GT all use it. Im sure DTM does as well since their cars are so extreme compared to the road car.
 
Are you referring to specification series like the ALMS/LMS/DTM/Etc?

If so, you are very mistaken. To my knowledge, only F1 has banned TCS.

ALMS/LMS/FIA GT all use it. Im sure DTM does as well since their cars are so extreme compared to the road car.

DTM certainly does not permit TCS. They don't even permit antilock brakes.

LMS does not permit brake intervention TCS, though they permit the combustion level type.
 
I wasnt sure, tried too google it haha

Either way, I know there are a lot of series that do allow it, and of course some that dont.
 
I generally leave it on 5, except for FGT. God I hate it when people use TCS on an FGT and claim that they are better because they use TCS, when actually F1 cars dont have TCS.
 
I wasnt sure, tried too google it haha

Either way, I know there are a lot of series that do allow it, and of course some that dont.

Either way, it really doesn't bug me much. TCS slows down the car. One should dial down the TCS until they reach the fastest speed they can still control the car with. If they don't do that, then a competitor with less or no TCS will have an advantage.

No real reason to worry about whether someone else uses it. SRF is a different matter, though.

Also, as for authenticity, I don't know that I care about that too much. we get a little carried away with that sometimes.
 
Why do I not permit it? Don't really know. If I drive like that all in that room should too.. Not that I am good at it.. As I mentioned it before.. Makes it challenging I guess..
 
Some cars such as super GT cars are easier to drive without TC and faster, things like FGT and hugely powerful cars i like with TC1. Its up to you, lots of rooms for lots of different tastes.
 
I prefer not to use it but I don't brag about it. Plus tuning your LSD can help to reduce your wheel spin a bit also. I do turn on the TCS with some cars when I have to.
 
I prefer not to use it but I don't brag about it. Plus tuning your LSD can help to reduce your wheel spin a bit also. I do turn on the TCS with some cars when I have to.

Hey man, Ill send you that car when I get home in about an hour.
 
". If I drive like that all in that room should too"

Why? Let people have a diversity of tuning options. I agree that LSD tuning is often going to produce a drastically better result. But sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not gonna lie. I like turning on TC1 for the tough part of a track, and then turning it off for the rest. It's really an interesting feature. You give up speed for a little bit more handle.
 
I believe driving without the aids makes you a better driver long term. You learn how to brake and accelerate without spinning out. Driving line, only if I don't know the track or am not use to it in the dark. Otherwise all off, and I am getting better.
 
Because it makes you feel like you're driving a sofa!! You wind up caught in a stasis field on every tight turn.

That said, sometimes the bad is outweighed by the good. Such as in a stock Alpine on comfort softs in a shuffle race on Trial Mountain. LOL

But if allowed, a good tuning set up is always better than Traction Control. That's why people are averse to it.
 
I always wanted to know, which was more realistic. Setting the TCS to 1, or 10?
 
I prefer TC off the cars feel kind of dead for me with it on. It was really hard to get used to I don't feel myself as a top driver but not the worst either probably somwhere in the middle. there are some cars i still cannot drive without TC like the FGT and most le mans cars but maybe this has something to do with setups or my brutal mashing of the throttle lol. I have tuned some roadcars pretty well in the suspension and LSD that they are so grippy it feels like they have tc on and srf on but they are not (lotus 111R last night for British seasonal is a good example insane grip no aids and ds3 racing softs though but never oversteered out of corners was magic). The default setups for most cars are very bad.
 
Back