What is everyone's aversion to TCS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mindspin311
  • 40 comments
  • 2,809 views
Slows down track times and acceleration. But gives grip. Only use is when daily driver.
 
It's easy to explain. For most cars and skilled drivers, you are much faster without any TCS. So most skilled drivers do not use it, and often will note they aren't using it when discussing how to tune their cars.

This evolved to people assuming they are not very credible as drivers if they use the aid. In reality, there are some cars (And some levels of driver skill) where TCS makes you faster and is a sensible option.

Those who sneer down on TCS use don't make any sense 99% of the time. You should be faster without it, and if that's not your experience, then you should work on your driving skill. Those who act like it's a cheat are really exposing that they are slow.

Anyway, another factor is that a lot of people are constantly trying to find ways to filter online games to have quality competitors, and one way to try is to make the racing more difficult. That's a different issue. A race of tricky Enzos with no TCS probably doesn't appeal to most of the worst drivers, after all.

Anyway, there should be no shame in using TCS. If the car is very difficult to control (like a super fast F1 car), even a great driver is faster with this aid. But usually, the aid slows you down.

Agree to this. About how to filter online games, I would like to see some kind of statistics provided by PD, where it is calculated how often you cancel races or for example how many time you drive off track or are "ghosted" or get time penalties. Then as a host you can set cancel rate to max. 5% or something like that. It works to a certain point in FIFA online, where you can see the cancel rate of players and if it is too high you don't play against them, because they just cancel the match if they are about to loose, because it kills their "winning streaks" and this is just very annoying and I have the same on GT5 online at least once when I play online :grumpy: That also is a reason, why I barely play GT5 online, it's just no fun!
 
I always wanted to know, which was more realistic. Setting the TCS to 1, or 10?

It depends on the car. Some manufacturers use very intrusive safety aids allowing virtually no slip what so ever. Which is a good thing in mini-vans and such. Sporty cars usually have a lower lever off interference. Then there's the likes of Ferraris and so on, in those you can choose the level yourself on the onboard computer.
 
I think that in one way it's because those people want good drivers in their races, so by not allowing the driving aids they hope to filter away the newbies.

Another reason is probably that some people think that the driving aids are cheats that makes your car go faster, however all of the driving aids, except for the skid recovery force, actually makes the car go slower. Yes, it makes the car easier to control, but it also reduces acceleration by quite a lot. A car without TCS is faster than a car with TCS.
 
A car without TCS is faster than a car with TCS.

Assuming of course you can control the throttle and eliminate wheelspin, accurately and consistently.

Depending on the car and driver, the lower settings of TCS can help improve your times.

Since the game doesn't use a true TCS, but a delay throttle application, once you get past about 3 you are likely to lose time.

If the game used a top notch TCS as some cars do in real life, you would be hard pressed to beat it.

Particularly the more powerful the car.
 
So I have seen this a lot on this board, and I am sort of baffled about how many boast about driving w/o TCS and how others who use it are far less superior.

What irks me the most about this, is cars in REAL LIFE that have TCS on the car. Same goes for race cars.

I understand wanting to drive the car like it was designed, but why am I not allowed to use TCS on my modern street and race cars when I play online?

Can someone please enlighten me? Some of the greatest race car drivers pilot cars what are equipped with TCS, yet I'm not allowed to drive that same car with TCS when I race online.

First, I'm going to confess that I never read a single reply. I couldn't wait to jump into a response. If I end up just saying stuff that's already been said, I apologize in advance. Having got that out of the way....

1) Traction control is an aid. It is an aid in both the game and in real life. That's what it's intended for, both in real life and in the game. It helps you in the game, and also makes driving easier in real life.

2) Which brings us to the reason it's often frowned upon: it makes driving easier. It's like turning on "easy mode". If you're running traction control, you're playing on easy mode. It doesn't matter if you're driving a car that also has traction control in reality, because it's "easy mode" for both the game and for reality. Being on the real car doesn't take away the "easy mode" status.

3) Not all race cars have TCS. Off the top of my head, Formula One definitely has no TCS. They've had it off and on, but it's been off again since the start of 2008.

4) If you're good enough, you can post faster laps without TCS than you can with it, so there's incentive to learn to race without it, besides the simple fact that learning to race without it forces you to get better.

5) You can still use it if you like. I encourage players to take off the training wheels and learn to drive properly without them, but if they are unable or unwilling to do so, that's fine. It's your right to play how you wish to play, and you don't need to justify it. However, people relying on aids like traction control need to also accept that they're still racing at the novice level, no matter what excuses they fall back on.
 
". If I drive like that all in that room should too"

Why? Let people have a diversity of tuning options. I agree that LSD tuning is often going to produce a drastically better result. But sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not gonna lie. I like turning on TC1 for the tough part of a track, and then turning it off for the rest. It's really an interesting feature. You give up speed for a little bit more handle.

I agree with you. Specially in open lobbies, it makes the competition better if anyone can set up their car to their preference. The set up is actually a huge part of racing, and comparing each other on that basis as well makes it interesting. If some feel that they need TC to be faster and drive cleanly, why not let them use it and have a nice race?

But as I have been in a lot of rooms that don't allow TC as of late, I have learned to set up the LSD correctly, i.e. so that it fits my driving style. I wasn't able to drive my favorite car without aids before (BMW M3 GTR Race Car) because it always spun ints wheels. But since I set up the LSD as well I can, and cleanly. In that respect it is nice if TC is disabled, it allows people to get further into the game and all the tuning options.

But I have to be honest, I am in no way able to drive the F2007 without TCS at 1, I'm just not good enough for that yet.
 
I don't think its an aversion to TCS as much as a way to weed out some of the less experienced players in online lobbies.

Personally, I think my times are quicker with it off, but I race with some friends who use it, so in our private lobbies we leave the option on.
 
I only use it with very high powered cars and a standing start. I'm using one of the original PS3 pads...Not even vibration so it is next to impossible to tell when the back wheels are losing traction.

Other than that, I never have it on, it is a crutch that will slow you down drastically.

Even having ABS at one slows you down slightly, if you do indy or daytona events they are infinitely more easy with 0 ABS. But again, for the most part I use 1 because it is difficult to threshold brake with a Pad.
 
If only my thumb were as delicate and accurate as my right foot. Then I wouldnt be making this thread haha
 
First, I'm going to confess that I never read a single reply. I couldn't wait to jump into a response. If I end up just saying stuff that's already been said, I apologize in advance. Having got that out of the way....

1) Traction control is an aid. It is an aid in both the game and in real life. That's what it's intended for, both in real life and in the game. It helps you in the game, and also makes driving easier in real life.

2) Which brings us to the reason it's often frowned upon: it makes driving easier. It's like turning on "easy mode". If you're running traction control, you're playing on easy mode. It doesn't matter if you're driving a car that also has traction control in reality, because it's "easy mode" for both the game and for reality. Being on the real car doesn't take away the "easy mode" status.

3) Not all race cars have TCS. Off the top of my head, Formula One definitely has no TCS. They've had it off and on, but it's been off again since the start of 2008.

4) If you're good enough, you can post faster laps without TCS than you can with it, so there's incentive to learn to race without it, besides the simple fact that learning to race without it forces you to get better.

5) You can still use it if you like. I encourage players to take off the training wheels and learn to drive properly without them, but if they are unable or unwilling to do so, that's fine. It's your right to play how you wish to play, and you don't need to justify it. However, people relying on aids like traction control need to also accept that they're still racing at the novice level, no matter what excuses they fall back on.

4. In a high powered car (Group C, FGT...), I don't think that's always truth.

5. I mostly play without TCS, but before I encourage people to take off TCS, I tell them to drive with something else than racing softs! Although I use them fairly often myself, but it's much more of a difference than TCS on/off in my opinion.
 
Back