What is the best drift car?

• Thread starter AeroFox87
  • 23 comments

AeroFox87

(Banned)
United States
North Carolina
AeroFox87
I have never played drift mode or whatever it is, but which is the BEST drift car on here? No matter the cost, what is it? Also do I have to fully tune it or what? Thanks!

The 'best' car depends on a number of extremely complicated considerations. Some cars, with the best driver possible, are better for a single corner, but not for all corners, for example.

Most drifters do not use 'drift mode', but just practice their drifting on their own. The drift mode is wildly inaccurate and not very useful for becoming a good drifter.

Improving your skill with a car is going to matter far more than having the 'best' car or tune, for beginners. Drifting is not like circuit racing where if you remove weight and add enough power and downforce even an idiot can put down a good lap time. It's about approaching limits that are already there, not trying to raise them.

As for cost, that doesn't matter at all.

For your level, the best drift car is something slow, comfortable, and predictable.

I have personally found the 1971 Nissan 240ZG to be the best drift car. Not because it will outdrift an LFA, but with me behind the wheel, I can drift any track, any direction, and never make a mistake and ruin the drift, for as many laps as I want, and in it, I can approach the very limits of what is possible in the car.

Would it kill people to use the search function..? heck there's 3 threads on the first page covering this topic..

Get an S13, put this* tune on it, drift until the cows come home because there is no "Best" drift car, only drift cars you enjoy drifting and can get the most out of. Different strokes for different folks.

*Personally I used 2.0 camber at the front on this tune.

So I could use any car? I just have to master it? What about drivetrain? Does that matter? And thanks for your response!

So I could use any car? I just have to master it? What about drivetrain? Does that matter? And thanks for your response!

I think you need to understand what drifting really is.

Drifting is when the car is following the path of a corner where the slip angle of the rear is higher than the front. Note that this doesn't mean the rear is sliding and the front is not, it just means the rear is sliding MORE than the front.

Since the rear wheels do not steer, when you apply power forward, they want to go to the outside of the corner. If the tires are gripping, it understeers. However, once the tires lose grip, since the tires are pointed toward the outside of the corner, those tires slip across the track in that direction. Hence, oversteer. Extreme oversteer is a form of drifting (But not all drifting).

So that means the general rule is Rear Wheel Drive. MR, FR, RR, are easiest to drift this way.

But what you need to know is that if the rear is sliding outward, the car starts to rotate. That means you need to keep going along the corner, but your car will start to spin out. You point the front wheels in the opposite direction so that they continue to counteract sideways forces and change your direction in the way you want to go. But this, too, is not always necessary. It is possible to drift without steering the car, or a 'no countersteer drift'.

I'm goin to go out on a limb here and say in blocks Subaru impreza!

A certain 3 Time D1GP Champion's S15 says Hi.

ApbossS15.jpg

Thanks guys! Imma check into cars later tonight, does it matter how much power you have? or grip with tires? In prostreet it kinda did.

I think its more about Technique at Drifting, not so much about the best car to use. Pick a car youll be comfy drifting (AWD RWD RR), a good track like Suzuka east, Autumn ring (Any configuration) Tsukuba, SSR5 and Practice Practice Practice. I use a C60 Art Morrison for drifting most of the time, but is it the best? I doubt it.

Ok here go it may sound dumb but best feeling car out of the box premium car would have to be the blitz er34 run it stock comfy softs even work it's a ridiculous feeling car.
FALKEN*GT-R just tune tscd to rear
The standard er34 is ok to.

The car I started with was the 88 supra stock with ch tires all driving aids off. Yes I was slow and crashed a lot but I really learned how to control a vehicle that was out of control.

Last edited:
Ok here go it may sound dumb but best feeling car out of the box premium car would have to be the blitz er34 run it stock comfy softs even work it's a ridiculous feeling car

Makes sense. It is, after all, a pre-tuned drift car.

Ok here go it may sound dumb but best feeling car out of the box premium car would have to be the blitz er34 run it stock comfy softs even work it's a ridiculous feeling car.
FALKEN*GT-R just tune tscd to rear
The standard er34 is ok to.

The car I started with was the 88 supra stock with ch tires all driving aids off. Yes I was slow and crashed a lot but I really learned how to control a vehicle that was out of control.
Huh, thanks! Imma try that car!

it should work fine same model...

True, I just don't want to mess with my 07 cause its like perfectly balanced, and the 05 Idc as much cause its a Standard car and I never use it, I just like having it, so I'll do the tune to it! And thanks!

Word of advice...from OP it seems that this a newbie to the drifting world..as such, the best drift car is a lightweight low powered vehicle whose rear end actually articulates...Power to a newbie is a crutch, it masks the skills and subtle motions necessary to excel at drifting..get a Silvia(S13), and RX7(FC), or a hachiroku(AE86), learn how to drift 1st; yes you will be slower than your friends, but you will be better.

AeroFox87
I have a AE86 so now what do I do to it?

And thus the maxim of leading a horse to water but not being able to make it drink has been personified..comfort hard tires, all aids(including abs) off, season to taste(should be stickied as the universal answer to all drift newbies, if any mods are reading this).

Latest Posts

Back