What is the decorum on the GTP_Something PSN name?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JLawrence
  • 35 comments
  • 1,853 views
Messages
1,283
Messages
GTP_FreakinWolfy
I am curious because I am about to create a Gran Turismo specific account, and would like something easily recognizable, but don't want to step on anyone's toes. So is there some sort of formality there or what?

Thankyou
 
I am curious because I am about to create a Gran Turismo specific account, and would like something easily recognizable, but don't want to step on anyone's toes. So is there some sort of formality there or what?

Thankyou

Are you talking about the GTP part of the PSN name?
 
Yes.
I'm assuming that there is some significance there because it seems like its only the mods and a few of the more high profile people on here that have them, but I could be completely off. Like I said before, I just want something that is easily recognizable to make it easier to remember.
 
Yes.
I'm assuming that there is some significance there because it seems like its only the mods and a few of the more high profile people on here that have them, but I could be completely off. Like I said before, I just want something that is easily recognizable to make it easier to remember.

It's there because for people to know you're a registered member on GTPlanet. You can add the decorum if you want. Adding it will give people the reference that you're a clean driver, or something to that nature.
 
Check the Weekly Race Series forum.

I'll note that we can't stop you - or anyone - using a GTP_ username for PlayStation Network, so although you know that any GTP organised event with GTP_ drivers only is going to a clean one it's not technically a guarantee of anything out in the wider online world.
 
I haven't ever read those rules, but I race in game like I do in the real world, so I'd assume that would suffice, and that is the impression I would like to give.
 
Real life and gtp are pretty much non comparable. Gtp rules turn racing into a sunday church trip with the blue haired women and old men in hats.

They totally ruin an aggressive driving style. Not dirty,just aggressive. Contact happens in racing. But if you follow the OLR then if you turn your wipers on and they spray rain on you opponents car you must pull over and flatten your tires before you can continue on your way.

I get that it isnt bumper cars but honestly the OLR is completely over the top.

Might as well be racing trains.
 
If you aren't "fair and honest" on a real race track it can get awful expensive, and for a college kid like myself that's not a good thing, so... I try to avoid any and all incidents that I can.
 
Caz
Real life and gtp are pretty much non comparable. Gtp rules turn racing into a sunday church trip with the blue haired women and old men in hats.

They totally ruin an aggressive driving style. Not dirty,just aggressive. Contact happens in racing. But if you follow the OLR then if you turn your wipers on and they spray rain on you opponents car you must pull over and flatten your tires before you can continue on your way.

I get that it isnt bumper cars but honestly the OLR is completely over the top.

Might as well be racing trains.

Bro, you had me laughing myself silly here. 👍
 
Caz
Real life and gtp are pretty much non comparable. Gtp rules turn racing into a sunday church trip with the blue haired women and old men in hats.

They totally ruin an aggressive driving style. Not dirty,just aggressive. Contact happens in racing. But if you follow the OLR then if you turn your wipers on and they spray rain on you opponents car you must pull over and flatten your tires before you can continue on your way.

I get that it isnt bumper cars but honestly the OLR is completely over the top.

Might as well be racing trains.

I have to disagree with you my friend. I am an aggressive driver til the day i die, but when it comes to overtaking i make sure i can do it with as little contact as possible but banging doors is a part of racing. I always extend the kind or courtesy i show towards others because racing is a gentlemanly sport. I say the rules are ok for being a responsible courteous driver.
 
Ahhh. But aggressive driving is against the rules. It has its own ruling. Same as the little bamg on the doors. Any contact is strictly forbidden as well. You would be at fault and have to give your position away.

Since i posted my first post i went and reread the OLR to make sure i wasnt misremembering.

And why does the OLR get into license tests and special events as well?

Being responsible and courteous are all well and good but racing is racing and mistakes happen. The OLR in my opinion is just too over the top in some areas.

I too always try to race clean and never intentionally ruin peoples races and do get pissed when i get purposefully moved out of someones way.


So. According to the OLR. Im following you very closely trying to pressure you into a mistake. You male one but it happens to be brakeing a little early. Since i am so close to you i cannot possibly react quick enough to not tap you. Your car gets a little squirly and you cannot pull it back under control or over throttled and spun because you know i am about to pass . My fault or your driver error in correcting your car? I choose the later. Clean racing incident. According to the OLR i should pull over and let you pass.

We were racing for first and second. The pack was fairly close. Now im waiting for you to get going again but i get passed and you dont. Fair and clean?
 
Last edited:
Yes.
I'm assuming that there is some significance there because it seems like its only the mods and a few of the more high profile people on here that have them, but I could be completely off. Like I said before, I just want something that is easily recognizable to make it easier to remember.

:lol:

The rules on GTPlanet do not carry over to PSN, you can choose whatever name you prefer and the only reason people put "GTP_" in their name is so people online can recognize that you are part of the forum and you are more than likely going to follow the rooms rules and not jerk around like some random person online might.
 
Caz
Ahhh. But aggressive driving is against the rules. It has its own ruling. Same as the little bamg on the doors. Any contact is strictly forbidden as well. You would be at fault and have to give your position away.

Since i posted my first post i went and reread the OLR to make sure i wasnt misremembering.

And why does the OLR get into license tests and special events as well?

Being responsible and courteous are all well and good but racing is racing and mistakes happen. The OLR in my opinion is just too over the top in some areas.

I too always try to race clean and never intentionally ruin peoples races and do get pissed when i get purposefully moved out of someones way.

So. According to the OLR. Im following you very closely trying to pressure you into a mistake. You male one but it happens to be brakeing a little early. Since i am so close to you i cannot possibly react quick enough to not tap you. Your car gets a little squirly and you cannot pull it back under control or over throttled and spun because you know i am about to pass . My fault or your driver error in correcting your car? I choose the later. Clean racing incident. According to the OLR i should pull over and let you pass.

We were racing for first and second. The pack was fairly close. Now im waiting for you to get going again but i get passed and you dont. Fair and clean?

I admit i brake the rules about banging doors and aggressive driving but i follow everythig else because of courtesy. I dont care to wind myself up so tight that i might burst by following most of the rules. I think some are a bit silly but overall the ones about respecting the other drivers on track are ok. After all rules were made to be broken. And if someone doesnt like the way i present myself on track then too bad everyone has there own driving style.
 
Is there a genuine requirement to be a good racing driver? I'll admit I'm a clean racer and I don't go out of my way to disrupt anything, but I really do suck at actually racing. Most of my laptimes are between 2 and 10 seconds behind whatever I see on the forums
 
200MphFord
I admit i brake the rules about banging doors and aggressive driving but i follow everythig else because of courtesy. I dont care to wind myself up so tight that i might burst by following most of the rules. I think some are a bit silly but overall the ones about respecting the other drivers on track are ok. After all rules were made to be broken. And if someone doesnt like the way i present myself on track then too bad everyone has there own driving style.

So we do agree! :)

Dragon. Im inthe same boat as you.some days tho it all clicks into place.
 
I just spent some time reading the OLR, and in all honesty, they sound a fair bit like what we use for real life racing, only instead of pulling over to let some one regain their position, you either pull into the pits and assess the damage, or pull onto the trailer and take it home. GT5 is almost nothing like real racing in most regards because here contact is just a part of racing, in the real world it is a really big deal. Unless you are part of a professional team there is almost never anything that can be brushed off as a minor scrape unless it really is a tame scrape along the doors.

But whatever. I now am GTP_SpitRacer.
 
isildur
Bro, you had me laughing myself silly here. 👍

Glad i could brighten yourday
 
Caz
I get that it isnt bumper cars but honestly the OLR is completely over the top.

Might as well be racing trains.
Funny post...but the OLR allows drivers to race side by side night after night. Without it, things go downhill fast. One guy hits you, you hit him back, and before you know it, someone is punted into the outer reaches of the stratosphere. Any semblance of realistic racing becomes lost. What most drivers consider aggressive driving in this game would be considered reckless on a real track.

The alternative that OLR offers is to encourage drivers to race nose to tail and side by side until one of you makes a mistake. The game also rewards drivers who can follow closely with an unbelievable draft. There is no need to divebomb someone in a turn when you can coast into it on their bumper and pass half-way down the straight.
 
chuyler1
Funny post...but the OLR allows drivers to race side by side night after night. Without it, things go downhill fast. One guy hits you, you hit him back, and before you know it, someone is punted into the outer reaches of the stratosphere. Any semblance of realistic racing becomes lost. What most drivers consider aggressive driving in this game would be considered reckless on a real track.

The alternative that OLR offers is to encourage drivers to race nose to tail and side by side until one of you makes a mistake. The game also rewards drivers who can follow closely with an unbelievable draft. There is no need to divebomb someone in a turn when you can coast into it on their bumper and pass half-way down the straight.

What do you consider aggresive driving? Also, this is a Video Game. If i had the access to drive a '67 GT40 MKIV i would never drive it the way i do in the game.
 
There is nothing wrong with aggressive driving, but there is a difference between aggressive and stupid.

Aggressive is sticking your nose in there and trying to make your opponent make a mistake, or braking slightly later than usual, etc.

Stupid is pulling along side, bumping doors, rear ending, trying to out brake in bad corners.

Just spend some time watching most of the people that race on here and then compare it to how you and I race and you'll get a good idea Ford. You're aggressive, but smart about it.
 
There is nothing wrong with aggressive driving, but there is a difference between aggressive and stupid.

Aggressive is sticking your nose in there and trying to make your opponent make a mistake, or braking slightly later than usual, etc.

Stupid is pulling along side, bumping doors, rear ending, trying to out brake in bad corners.

Just spend some time watching most of the people that race on here and then compare it to how you and I race and you'll get a good idea Ford. You're aggressive, but smart about it.

I agree with pretty much all your saying but I still think you can be a smart aggressive driver by lightly bumping someones real end or the side of their car while being aggressive without causing a huge wreck.
 
I agree with pretty much all your saying but I still think you can be a smart aggressive driver by lightly bumping someones real end or the side of their car while being aggressive without causing a huge wreck.

That depends on the type of racing you are doing. If you are racing vintage like me, contact of any kind is a bad thing, but for say NASCAR or something of the like bump drafting is just part of the game. But, even if you watch the Rolex series you'll see drivers back off and lose time so avoid any and all contact that they can generally speaking.
 
That depends on the type of racing you are doing. If you are racing vintage like me, contact of any kind is a bad thing, but for say NASCAR or something of the like bump drafting is just part of the game. But, even if you watch the Rolex series you'll see drivers back off and lose time so avoid any and all contact that they can generally speaking.

Well if by the "Rolex series" your talking about real life then of course you'd back off to avoid hitting someone because you could be potentially hurting someone but as far as GT5 goes I think a slight tap to someones rear bumper or side while being an "aggressive" driver is not going to effect much, if like I said it's a slight tap.
 
Last edited:
I am talking about real life, and 90% of crashes are caused by someone getting over-eager and lax in their judgement.

In GT5 you can get away with a couple nudges and not be classified as dumb or reckless, but anywhere else but NASCAR that can/will instantly put you on the black list.
 
I am talking about real life, and 90% of crashes are caused by someone getting over-eager and lax in their judgement.

In GT5 you can get away with a couple nudges and not be classified as dumb or reckless, but anywhere else but NASCAR that can/will instantly put you on the black list.

Well bumps like that in real life have more effect on the car and driver than they do in GT5 without a doubt and I don't think little bumps like that in GT5 means you should be put on the "black list" because a lot of them are unintentional and harmless. If there is absolutely no contact I like to think that it's probably not a good race to begin with. :sly:
 
Back