What is the most important turn on the Nurburgring (poll) Bergwerk leads!

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 57 comments

What is the most important turn?

• Hattenbach

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Hocheichen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flagplutz

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Schwedenkreuz

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Aremburg

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Adenauer-forst

• Metzgesfeld

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Kallenhard

• Wehrselfen

• Exmuhle

• Bergwerk

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Kesselchen

• Klostertal

• Stellstrecke

• Karussell

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Hohe Acht

• Wippermann

• Eschbach

• Brunnchen

• Pfiantgarten

• Schwalbenschwarz

• Galgenkopf

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Tiergarten

• Hohenrain

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
United States
California
Sk8er913
This is a challenging question isnt it. :D If you're at the nurburgring, what corner do you have to get right if you want a good lap time?
tmp_3637-nurburgring_map_color-1258183834.jpg

If your turn is not listed select the one that it is nearest. :)

Last edited:
Actually, this is a relatively tough question. Because if you screw up one single corner, you can still make up some time afterwards, that's because the track is so long. But back to your question. I have a few important corners: first there is the Carriciola Karussell. Very tricky to get through it without spinning. Second important part: Wippermann. If you get only one of the three corners wrong, you'll loose quite some time. Very important to get all corners right there. Third important bit: Pflanzgarten, brake too late and you'll fly into the gravel, brake too early and you're too slow for the right-hander afterwards. And then there is Schwalbenschwanz. Basically a mini version of the Karussell, also quite tricky to get it right.

Actually, this is a relatively tough question. Because if you screw up one single corner, you can still make up some time afterwards, that's because the track is so long. But back to your question. I have a few important corners: first there is the Carriciola Karussell. Very tricky to get through it without spinning. Second important part: Wippermann. If you get only one of the three corners wrong, you'll loose quite some time. Very important to get all corners right there. Third important bit: Pflanzgarten, brake too late and you'll fly into the gravel, brake too early and you're too slow for the right-hander afterwards. And then there is Schwalbenschwanz. Basically a mini version of the Karussell, also quite tricky to get it right.
I picked hohenrain. Because its such an important braking area, if you dont get it right you crash. And its important because it sets you up for the GP straight too.

I find Metzgesfeld as the easiest to crash at though. lol

Last edited:
I picked hohenrain. Because its such an important braking area, if you dont get it right you crash. And its important because it sets you up for the GP straight too
I hate this bit of track. It's super easy to crash there, really dangerous place hehe.

Galgenkopf!
If you take this corner bad, you loose a lot of time on the straight-away.
Mind you, there are many other corners with long straights just after, and those are all equally important. I chose Galhenkopf because it goes up-hill. :) ;)

As @kolio123 said, Galgenkopf. If you get it wrong you lose time all the way down the Dottinger Hohe, and can easily be slipstreamed past. The second most important would be Bergwerk, again because of the time loss on the flat out section that follows, although it's a bit easier to keep a competitor behind through Kesselchen than down the straight.

Roo
As @kolio123 said, Galgenkopf. If you get it wrong you lose time all the way down the Dottinger Hohe, and can easily be slipstreamed past. The second most important would be Bergwerk, again because of the time loss on the flat out section that follows, although it's a bit easier to keep a competitor behind through Kesselchen than down the straight.
Agree completely:tup:
I find a small lift to angle the nose into the apex is enough to maintain speed and allow early acceleration out of Galgenkopf - that's on racing hards or sport softs depending on the class of car. Mess it up and you lose time all the way to the start finish line:grumpy:

I'd say the most important turn is Flugplatz. If you can stay close to wide open there and then nail the braking zones for Aremberg and Adenauer-Forst, you can shave easily four seconds off your lap. The target speed for most cars through Aremberg is 120-130 mph. It's very scary the first few times you do it, but once you learn how, it's reasonably easy.

I'd say the most important turn is Flugplatz. If you can stay close to wide open there and then nail the braking zones for Aremberg and Adenauer-Forst, you can shave easily four seconds off your lap. The target speed for most cars through Aremberg is 120-130 mph. It's very scary the first few times you do it, but once you learn how, it's reasonably easy.
I disagree the target speed is closer to 130 with sports tires, 140 with RH and 150 with RS or an LMP with RH. :)

Also I think you mean this corner: Schwedenkreuz

There are so many difficult turns on the Nordschleife. The tires you use have an enormous impact on what is merely challenging and what is absolutely killer. I generally run CM or CS compound tires on my vehicles that are "street legal". A whole new can of worms opens up on some sections where you could go flat out with SS tires. You're not just lifting, you're downshifting and/or giving the brake pedal a tap.

One corner that has always given me fits, pretty much regardless of my vehicle and/or tire compound is Galgenkopf. I have rolled a few cars there. The right hand bend that follows can be tricky too when you're in an '04 Z06 on CM tires and trying to put the pedal to the medal following Galenkopf.

The Nurburgring Nordschleife is such a challenging course. It throws everything possible at you and it's so narrow... I pray that I get my butt to the Nurburgring some day and experience the track for real, in a decent car. That would be heavenly! :cool:

I disagree the target speed is closer to 130 with sports tires, 140 with RH and 150 with RS or an LMP with RH. :)

Also I think you mean this corner: Schwedenkreuz
No, I mean Flugplatz. The right hander at the top of the crest after the bridge near the start of the lap.

And notice how I said with "most" cars, which includes road cars.

I'd go with Bergwerk. Galgenkopf is a close 2nd. For Galgenkopf, at least with many cars, eventually you top out on the long straight, so you stop losing time at the end of the straight. Of course, if you slide off, it's going to hurt you much more. If you don't hit Bergwerk right though, you continue to lose time throughout the entire flat out section, all the way to Klostertal (which can be a pain in its own right). I feel there's more to lose there.

I would have to say the next one, doesn't matter how you did in the previous corner once you are through it only the next ones matter, you can't be starting a lap thinking about a corner that is 5 miles away, always got to focus on the next one and do the best you can every time.

As for which corner is the most important, I would say the last one before the finish line as if you manage to come out of it with the lead you will win almost every time ;)

They gave those corners some really long and hard to remember names, but I have a better one

They should have just called the Karussell: "The really annoying banked corner with the grid thing on it that only ever spins you out when you are in first place"

For me, definitely Bergwerk. I can never seem to take that corner the same way twice and it so, so important to max your exit speed for the long, flat out, uphill section that follows. It caused me a great deal of frustration in trying to nail a good sector in qualifying for the WRS license in GT5:crazy:

They gave those corners some really long and hard to remember names, but I have a better one

They should have just called the Karussell: "The really annoying banked corner with the grid thing on it that only ever spins you out when you are in first place"
After 4 years of spinning and purposely taking the outer lane, I found out how to not spin yesterday. Lol

Here's translations and explanations for the names. Might make them easier to remember :)

Antoniusbuche - Antonius beech. Underneath a beech tree nearby there was an altar for the saint Antonius.

Tiergarten - Animal garden (or Zoo). Back in the medievals, this was a burial site for war horses.

Hohenrain - High edge. It's the border of a high field.

T13 - Named after a nearby grandstand (Tribüne)

Hatzenbach - Hunts brook. It's the name of the brook that runs next to the track.

Hocheichen - Tall oaks. Before the track was constructed, many tall oaks were cut down on this site.

Quiddelbacher-Höhe - Quiddelbacher-Height. A hill above the village of Quiddelbach.

Flugplatz - Airfield. In the 1930's there was a field nearby for sailplanes.

Schwedenkreuz - Swedish cross. Next to the track there's a stone cross from the Thirty Years' War. In 1638 the mayor of Kelberg were robbed and slain by Swedish soldiers on this site.

Aremberg - Aremberg (Arem mountain) is a mountain 10 kilometers northwest of this section. In the 1930's the mountain could be seen from this site.

Postbrücke - Post bridge. The track crosses the former post road between Adenau and Quiddelbach.

Fuchsröhre - Fox pipe. During the construction a fox hid in a drainage pipe here.

Adenauer Forst - Adenau Forest. The section runs through the forest of the community Adenau.

Metzgesfeld - Metzges field. The name of the field is derived from the Mertges family, who once owned it.

Kallenhard - Kallen hill forest. It's a forested hill.

Wehrseifen - Weir valley. It's a valley. With a weir. (The name can also mean "defense soap"...)

Ex-Mühle - Ex-mill. During the construction there was a mill at this site. The plan was to have the start/finish-line here, but the miller didn't provide the land required for it.

Bergwerk - Mine. Silver and led was mined here until around 1900.

Kesselchen - Little kettel. The name derives from the shape of the valley.

Klostertal - Monastery valley. There was a monastery here in the 14th century.

Caracciola-Karussell - Caracciola carousel. Named after the racing driver Rudolf Caracciola.

Hohe Acht - High field. Named by the mountain of the same name.

Hedwigshöhe - Hedwig's height. Hedwig was the wife of Dr. Otto Creutz, "the father of the Nürburgring". Hedwig used to enjoy the view from here when her husband was at the construction site.

Wippermann - Wippermann is a family name. It's also a company making roller chains. It's possible that the bumps that used to be here drew associations to a chain (but don't quote me on that).

Eschbach - Esch brook. It's the name of a brook.

Brünnchen - Little well. There's a... small well here.

Pflanzgarten - Plant garden. In the middle ages this was the location of the gardens of the count of Nürburg.

Stefan-Bellof-S (Pflanzgarten II) - Renamed in 2013 on the 30th anniversary of the record lap set by Stefan Bellof. He's the only driver who did a lap around the ring with an average speed faster than 200 km/h.

Schwalbenschwanz - Swallowtail. On the blueprints this section looked like the end of a swallowtail.

Galgenkopf - Gallowhead. It's the name of the piece of land. This was a site of execution and gallows belonging to the count of Nürburg.

Döttinger-Höhe - Döttinger Height. Named by the nearby town district of Döttingen.

Very hard to decide, since there are many important turns where you can screw up or gain a lot. Probably some of the most important corners are Hoheneichen, the corner before the straight leading to Flugplatz, very important to gain good speed for the straight. Flugplatz is of course really important, leading to a long high speed section. I think that also the Schwedenkreuz is pretty important, it is so easy to mess up there. Many times I have flown off the track there, also because of the small bump in the corner (or just before). As others have stated, Bergwerk is also a very hard corner, still can't take it the best way. Can still win so much time there I think. Pflanzgarten is also very easy to mess up if you want to go too fast there. I think that part is different between GT5 and GT6, since I don't remember having so many issues there in GT5 as I have in GT6. In GT5 I almost always took it flat out, but in GT6 if you do that you're flying off the track. :P Galgenkopf is of course very important too, if you can get enough speed there out of the corner you can maybe gain time on the ones behind or setting yourself up for a slipstream to the car in front.

Probably Galgenkopf is the most important turn at the Nürbürgring, if I have to make a choice. But in my opinion, you can't really say that one of the corners is most important, since there are just too many curves that are important for a good lap time or race.

My favourite part is easier to decide on, that's definitely the section starting at the Hohe Acht left-right S-bend until Eschbach. Love to drive (or race) that part. :D

Back