What is your favorite PP range of cars?

• Thread starter Sarkazmo
  • 51 comments
United States
OH
GTP_Sarkazmo
For me it's the 500pp class (475pp-525pp) of racing that is really my most enjoyable. There are a lot of great cars in that range including the Boss 302 (this is an amazingly well balanced car,) the new Camaro, M3 GTR and CSL, and most of the top of the lines from Japan. The racing is fast but not frantic. The cars have enough power to be a handful if you push too far but give a great feeling of satisfaction when you drive them well.

So what's your favorite pp level?

Sark

My fav is around 600 :) I find you can modify stock cars, use a track car or detune a race car, which gives more flexibility and variety in racing.

I also like the below 400PP range, which forces track specific tuning (transmission, suspension, etc) and efficient drive lines :) racing against friends in a Honda Fit really shows who knows how to drive!

500pp for me but it depends on the tyres, I hate entering a 500pp street car lobby and everyone's on Racing tyres :dopey:

450pp - CS 👍
500pp - SH 👍
Any street car - RH 👎 (unless it's tuned to 620pp+ with aero etc so it's basically a race car)

I'm currently doing a Megane Base Car Championship, we're using Sports Soft and it's much more enjoyable at that pp than Racing Hards

The vast majority of my own racing involves cars set up from 450pp through to 560. Tyres at 450 are usually SM, 500 I use SS, above that I use RH. 560 is good with either RH or RM, depending on race duration (or rather concentration capacity!).

450-550 (CS to SS, but usually on SH's). I like racing "normal" cars, preferably with a 6-speed and clutch. In this range you have everything from Civics on the low end, to Ferrari on the high end, and everything cool in between (M3, Camaro, Mustang, Integra, Clio, MX5, RX7, Supra, Golf, NSX, STI, EVO, and so much more).

I get far more satisfaction squeaking out every last tenth from a relatively slow car, than throwing a maxed out machine on RS tires around the same course.

I have just now really gotten into building cars to a PP number and testing/tuning them. I am using 500 and 600 PP numbers to start with as they are the closest rounded numbers to GT300 and GT500 cars. Coming from Forza, I'm used to wild differences in performance from cars with the same "PI" number (same thing as PP basically but unlike GT it factors in every part including tires). The difference can be sometimes 5-8 seconds at the exact same PI number.

Curious if that was the same on GT I started tuning and building differing race cars to 600. Staring first with current GT500 cars, but working around to all types of differing cars from different era's and series. Some cars, like say GT300 cars I added parts to to get to 600pp. Others I used ballast or the limiter to bring them down to 600...for example I brought the Audi R18 down to 600. All of them just got max downforce as a tune and ran them all on racing soft.

Was very happily surprised how evenly these cars matched up in my testing. Which was done on Motegi West as it's always been one of my go to tuning tracks, it's short and I know it well enough that I could crank out a decent time within 5-10 laps. Anyways, ended up finding that between about 20 different race cars, again of differing series and eras, the times all matched up within 2.5 seconds of each other. A good chunk of them within a second of the fastest car which I have so far found to be the Z06 LM Corvette. The slowest being a 2013 Toyota Nascar.

So, it's looking like 500-600 is going to be my favorite PP "class". Hoping somehow PD will end up adding classes based on PP numbers and some LB's.👍

550pp. I feel like that level allows you to use cars that are still fun to drive but still dont have so much power that it doesnt take skill to be fast with them.

I hate all this PP thing and I've said before, I rarely pay attention to this number. But I guess my favorite cars are between the 300HP to 500HP range. That would be somewhere in between the 400 to 500PP range I guess. I don't know. It's pointless.

I hate all this PP thing and I've said before, I rarely pay attention to this number. But I guess my favorite cars are between the 300HP to 500HP range. That would be somewhere in between the 400 to 500PP range I guess. I don't know. It's pointless.
Surely its not very accurate sometimes but its a good way to try to equalise cars in a race.
Power/weight limit is far worse because there are other factors that determine car's performance besides power and weight.

While I'll agree that the PP system is flawed it does an ok job of an extremely complicated task and allows a greater level of freedom of car choice and tuning. Most importantly, whether one likes or dislikes the system, it's the one we're all stuck with.

Sark

While I'll agree that the PP system is flawed it does an ok job of an extremely complicated task and allows a greater level of freedom of car choice and tuning. Most importantly, whether one likes or dislikes the system, it's the one we're all stuck with.

Sark

Surely its not very accurate sometimes but its a good way to try to equalise cars in a race.
Power/weight limit is far worse because there are other factors that determine car's performance besides power and weight.

I don't mind very mild tuning, but what I dislike is that in some cases detuning is needed if you want to use a car that you feel fits in that event, but it doesn't. That is something that I completely disagree with and it is unnecessary. This is was more noticeable in Seasonals (in GT5 specifically. Not yet in GT6) were people just took a race car and lowered the PP and still got better times than any street car could. Proof that the concept is flawed and serves no useful limiting purpose.

Some cars like the Veyron and Huayra are rendered useless in most events were they could easily participate, like the Super Car Events. In other cases, some cars fall very short against the competition and you're unfortunately forced to tune them.

I certainly wouldn't mind PP if there were different PP range races per event, much like in GT5's Seasonals. This career mode is far better than GT5's, but there are so many cars and so many possibilities, that the PP system only limits the car selection for those of us who follow the closest-to-stock style, as I imagine it does for those who prefer the fully tuned style.

I think I mentioned it before, but why not three sets of events for let's say, the European, American and Japanese Car events? Starting with three races with a range of 350-450pp, another set of three races with ranges from 500-600pp and one last for 650 and above? Same goes for Turbo events, NA events, FR, FF, AWD, MR...

If PD did this, I wouldn't hate the PP system, we would have bigger career mode and I would happily agree with you two.

Last edited:
600PP.

It's where road cars meet racing machines and they do battle. Awesome variety.
While my pleasure zone is usually in the 450-550PP range as many have stated above, I've been doing the i-A events, pitting my "race modified" sports and supercars up against the racing machines of various classes up to 700PP. Having gone through a car wreck a few weeks ago has made me skittish of the higher ranges in the Seasonals - the AMG Vision event gave me the shivers. But taking a Ferrari F430 Scuderia and tuning it to racing spec about 80 to 120PP below the standard makes for some tight racing with the bots. It's been a total blast. Though lately, I've also been running the Audi R8 LMS Team Phoenix and NOMAD Diablo GT1 car against superior LMPs in the 700PP range. Losing has never been so fun. :D

Latest Posts

Back