Votes: 37 23.3%
  • Tourer

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Sportstourer

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Supermoto / Cross

Votes: 28 17.6%

• Total voters
Well, my sister wanted a road legal motorbike, and my dad obliged. My sister doesn't seem interested anymore, and I've been considering getting a motorbike license for awhile now, so behold! My bike, named "The crappiest bike in the world." Even though it probably isn't, but it's still awful. But I'm enjoying it.

Scorpio.jpg

That's right, a 2011 Yamaha Scorpio.

I've only been riding about on our rather long/slightly bendy gravel driveway, soon enough I'll be doing a skills and handling course so I can get my motorbike learners. So to answer the question, what kind of bike do I ride? ... Uh, whatever I can get my hands on is an accurate answer... If I in the future suddenly stop posting, then I got my hands on a superbike far too soon. :P

I don't know what I'll get in the future though when I buy myself a bike. I'm still undecided, I quite like the look of the Triumph Street Triple 675. And the 660 is LAMS approved so I could get that on my learners or restricted license. Might get a WR250F (or a TTR250) or a KTM of sorts for off road too, I could then go riding with my dad.

I don't know what I'll get in the future though when I buy myself a bike. I'm still undecided, I quite like the look of the Triumph Street Triple 675. And the 660 is LAMS approved so I could get that on my learners or restricted license. Might get a WR250F (or a TTR250) or a KTM of sorts for off road too, I could then go riding with my dad.

Get a KTM, you know you want to...

A KTM 200EXC is like my bike except it has lights, you'll be able to go anywhere offroad.

Get a Honda! :P

Only small Honda for him would be a CRF230L, which is pretty useless offroad even when compared to the CRF230F, the KTM is a barely legal street bike. Plus the 230 is more than 50lbs heavier.

Only small Honda for him would be a CRF230L, which is pretty useless offroad even when compared to the CRF230F, the KTM is a barely legal street bike. Plus the 230 is more than 50lbs heavier.
But reliability! KTMs have been hit and miss in that department in my experience.

But reliability! KTMs have been hit and miss in that department in my experience.

KTM's are the perhaps the best built bikes that I've worked with.
The Honda trail bikes are great, but the race bikes were lacking in reliability up until a few years ago.

The overall level of quality just seems higher when compared to the Japanese bikes, like they think things through more.

Maybe for racing I suppose. For all around general "beat up on", Honda can't be beat IMO. Especially old ones. The old 200X engines are among one of the best ever designed.

Get a KTM, you know you want to...

A KTM 200EXC is like my bike except it has lights, you'll be able to go anywhere offroad.

Get a Honda! :P

*Gets neither just to be annoying* :P

Well, I've considered both at multiple points too (but then again, I've considered every brand... Except for ones that no one knows about like "Keeway" or "Norton." :lol: Because they're all awful.). I think KTM's are more expensive though, not just purchase price, but for parts in general, aren't they? I've still got quite a bit of time to make decisions, so I'll just stick to the "Crappiest Bike in the World." :P When I go offroad, I'll probably start on a 250 four stroke. And again, if I suddenly stop posting and have no activity on GTP... Then it was a bad idea.

*Gets neither just to be annoying* :P

Well, I've considered both at multiple points too (but then again, I've considered every brand... Except for ones that no one knows about like "Keeway" or "Norton." :lol: Because they're all awful.). I think KTM's are more expensive though, not just purchase price, but for parts in general, aren't they? I've still got quite a bit of time to make decisions, so I'll just stick to the "Crappiest Bike in the World." :P When I go offroad, I'll probably start on a 250 four stroke. And again, if I suddenly stop posting and have no activity on GTP... Then it was a bad idea.

:lol:
You would too.:P

Norton is over 100 years old, but I suspect it may be a different company.
KTM's are more expensive yeah. But the brakes on my 200 are the best I've felt from any dirtbike.

A 250 4 stroke will be the easiest to ride if you get something like a WR250 or 250EXC-F, but a CRF250L is just way too heavy for offroad.

:lol:
You would too.:P

Norton is over 100 years old, but I suspect it may be a different company.
KTM's are more expensive yeah. But the brakes on my 200 are the best I've felt from any dirtbike.

A 250 4 stroke will be the easiest to ride if you get something like a WR250 or 250EXC-F, but a CRF250L is just way too heavy for offroad.

Really? ... Oops, well I've never heard of Norton. It's not exactly a big name because the only reason I know it exists is because I saw it in the manufacturer options on Trademe (New Zealand's Ebay).

That's the plan, I've looked at the WR250 and 250EXC-F. They're sort of the two I've been thinking about most. I like Kawasaki just because when I was a kid I was like "WOAH GREEN MOTORBIKE!! GREEN IS COOL!" But they don't make a KLX250F anymore, and even when they did... They're so ugly I couldn't stand to live with it. :lol:

Really? ... Oops, well I've never heard of Norton. It's not exactly a big name because the only reason I know it exists is because I saw it in the manufacturer options on Trademe (New Zealand's Ebay).

Heathen.

It was one of the most successful designs of all time.

The KLX isn't nearly as capable as the other two, it's like the CRF230L.
If you're looking at the 250EXC-F also look at the 350 because the extra power is nice.
The engine will also last longer because you don't have to rev the bike as much to make the power.
But then it starts to get pretty quick, I'd put something like a 450 right out of the equation.

Last edited:
Hi Bopop4, would the KTM EXC300 be too much for Skython ?.Also i don't know if they were exported to his country either.Or you could buy a Suzuki RMX 250, Kawasaki KDX 220, Honda CRM 250 AR, can't think of anything else.

Nath.

Hi Bopop4, would the KTM EXC300 be too much for Skython ?.Also i don't know if they were exported to his country either.Or you could buy a Suzuki RMX 250, Kawasaki KDX 220, Honda CRM 250 AR, can't think of anything else.

Nath.

Yes, definitely too much power.

A KDX200 would be good but I don't think they came street legal and I don't know NZ license laws.

If he can afford a 250EXC-F then that's probably the best bet in terms of ease of use and reliability.

I can't imagine he'd be needing too much over a 250. Most 200s alone would be plenty, regardless of the brand.

I can't imagine he'd be needing too much over a 250. Most 200s alone would be plenty, regardless of the brand.

You'd be right. Between 200 and 250 is my sort of considering space.

Nath.

RMX250? I'm quite sure my dad had one of those years ago. He says it was mental, so probably not ideal for the inexperienced imbecile that is me. :lol: I'm pretty sure my dad said something about the Suzuki DRZ, can't remember if he said 250 or 400 though.

EDIT: Went for the skills & Handling course/test today. I passed with flying colours, not the band Flying Colors, but with the saying.

Last edited:
Riding a DRZ E dualsported here. Will get you most places off-road easily, just not as quickly. It also handles mountain tar likes it's on rails and will do the ton. Came back from a 650 Vstrom and I feel safer and faster in the tight stuff. Can't recommend highly enough as an all rounder. No rear pegs on the E is the only downside for me.

You'd be right. Between 200 and 250 is my sort of considering space.

RMX250? I'm quite sure my dad had one of those years ago. He says it was mental, so probably not ideal for the inexperienced imbecile that is me. :lol: I'm pretty sure my dad said something about the Suzuki DRZ, can't remember if he said 250 or 400 though.

EDIT: Went for the skills & Handling course/test today. I passed with flying colours, not the band Flying Colors, but with the saying.

If you are restricted to LAMS and want a serious bit of kit take a look at a KTM RC490, a proper track weapon.

If you are restricted to LAMS and want a serious bit of kit take a look at a KTM RC490, a proper track weapon.

Yeah, LAMS until full license. The RC390 is a bit pricey, but definitely an option. I've heard lots of good things, though it's a shame that it's so ugly. :P I could still end up going either way, a road bike, or a road legal dirt bike.

But anyway, I went for an interesting ride on the Scorpio the other day. I went for a ride with my dad, he was on his KTM 990 as usual, but he decided we should go on some gravel roads, which turned into dirt, with lots of large rocks. Which on the Scorpio was an amusing activity, and even got it up to some places that surprised my dad. It was a bit uncomfortable though.

What is LAMS Skython ?.Does that mean a bike is restricted to 47bhp until you get a full licence ?.A bike you might like is the Honda CBR500R, that is 47 bhp.

Why does the poll not include scooters? :)

I ride all sort, though lately mostly a scooter. I currently own a chopper, before that a dual sport, before that dirt bikes (quite a few), street bikes but never a sports bike. I've ridden a fair few and loaned plenty for commuting but never owned one.

2007-2012

This was the first bike I ever owned and it was real good to me through the years. I bought it from a relative
and I used it mostly to commute to work and for a few summer vacation trips. I got rear-ended once in 2010
by an ignorant bus driver who wasn't paying attention.
Had to wait for spare parts for a number of weeks. :mad:

Foto0361.jpg
SAM_3018.JPG
SAM_3019.JPG

2012-present

Same model as above only younger and with a lot more power.
When I tried it out for the first time at the dealership I was stunned, the torque is simply amazing!
And I really like the nakedness of this model, I knew I had to have it when I first layed eyes on it.

SAM_3269.JPG
SAM_3271.JPG
SAM_3276.JPG

Back