What movies have you seen lately? Now with reviews!Movies 

• Thread starter scentedsoap
  • 8,163 comments
Not reviews of the films as such, more a - "are these worth a download/stream?" quick fix?

Anything below 6/10, not worth watching.

US - Started good then ran out of ideas, full of plot holes and ludicrous at the end, a let down after Get Out. (6/10).

Knives Out - A welcome return to a brazen 'who-dunnit' type scenario movie, good cast, enjoyable but predictable. (7/10).

The Hunt - A veritable gore fest in the first 15 mins or so, genuinely slavering at what was going to unfold after 25 mins, then - well you'll see. (7/10).

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (Netflix)

Went into it expecting the worst and I actually like a lot of Will Ferrell's movies. But I was pleasantly surprised that I actually kind of liked it.

7.5 out of 10.

The Ritual 2017, Dont watch on your own in a darkened room. - 7.5/10.

The Two Faces of January 2014, A retro ride of deceit and intrigue. - 7/10

Watched Ocean's 8 after recording it earlier in the week.

It was alright, though not as good as 11, 12 & 13.

Watched the Death Wish remake.

I thought it was quite good. Rare occasion where a modern remake is as good as the original.

Just saw Motherless Brooklyn last night. Overall, I enjoyed the time I spent with the movie. It's far from perfect for sure, but for those who like noir style movies it's worth checking out. The beginning of the movie is probably it's weakest part, so I suggest trying to at least watch past about the 30 minute mark before making a decision on whether to quit or keep going. I loved the sound mixing and the soundtrack overall, even though the title song by my favorite Thom Yorke is not his best by a long shot. Couple of things that bring the movie down are editing (some scenes seem very out of place) and acting by some of the cast, which could also be partly blamed on writing.

Still, for me personally, it punches above its weight. I don't really rate movies on a scale of 1-10 or 1-5, but between "I wanted to turn it off" to "I felt deeply moved by this movie". This one falls into "I felt something watching this movie".

Last edited:
Bad Boys For Life. Sorry, turned it off 20 minutes in.

21 Bridges: 10/10 The music set the tone. The acting is good.

DA 5 Bloods: 6/10 I'm a Spike Lee fan. Inside Man and Miracle at St. Anna were him venturing new ground for his movies. This movie reminded me of Dead Presidents. Didn't give me much to engage with the characters.

Had the day off, and completed the chores I needed to, so I sat on the couch and went to work on clearing out the Tivo. Apparently at some point in the last month I recorded Phsyco (1960).

Great movie, albeit tame by today's standards. Hilarious because of the main character (Norman Bates) having the same name as the president of the company I work for.

Just watched this Documentary about Synthwave. Really enjoyed it and can’t wait for my Blu-Ray copy.

B703F05A-3C7C-4EF1-BFD6-E2597D1419D6.jpeg

Watched Mosul on Netflix last night and it’s pretty damn good.

It’s a fictional story, based on real events around the Mosul Police SWAT teams, who remained in the city to fight ISIS after the Iraq army pulled out.

The film was inspired by the New Yorker article about them, which is well worth a read as well.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/06/the-desperate-battle-to-destroy-isis

What makes it stand out for me is that it’s a western funded and released film, but it uses and entirely Middle Eastern/North African cast and is in Arabic.

Nor is it the standard gung-ho mess that films set in the region often are, it’s brutal, but also remarkably human.

Dunno if it can be counted as a movie but the last dance showcasing michael jordan's holiness in the nba which was released several months ago is soo abysmal..

Watched Tommy Wiseau's The Room. I... I... I can't even.

That's an hour and a half of my life that I will never get back.

WW1984 (2020)

I honestly thought it was fine/good until the third act. What a shame
I watched it the other day and thought the whole film was meh.

It felt more like an extended TV episode than a movie, it had a very weak plot IMO and didn't feel at all fleshed out enough for a film. A plot that shallow can be told in 45 mins if you lost the filler.

There were too many scenes that felt like they'd been shoehorned in just because they wanted to include x, like the opening one which had nothing much to do with anything else. It was little more than a chance to show Diana as a kid back on her island but was never referenced or tied into anything late on.

I watched it the other day and thought the whole film was meh.

It felt more like an extended TV episode than a movie, it had a very weak plot IMO and didn't feel at all fleshed out enough for a film. A plot that shallow can be told in 45 mins if you lost the filler.

There were too many scenes that felt like they'd been shoehorned in just because they wanted to include x, like the opening one which had nothing much to do with anything else. It was little more than a chance to show Diana as a kid back on her island but was never referenced or tied into anything late on.
I can’t wait for the Honest Trailers of this one.

I was expecting a Wolverine vs Lady Deathstrike at the end but it turned out to be quite laughable.

Last edited:
WW1984 (2020)

I honestly thought it was fine/good until the third act. What a shame

My girlfriend and I watched it yesterday and while she liked it, I on the hand was left very disappointed because I was expecting a bit more....I thought the plot for the movie was very weak. Some of the fighting scenes felt a bit rehashed and the special effects looked "amateurish" at time (something I didn't expect at all from a big budget movie)....I just don't think it lived up to the first movie at all. I heard a 3rd sequel has already been greenlit...I hope it will be better.

Also watched "The Midnight Sky" on Netflix...maybe it's just me but I found the movie to be extremely irritating. Just wasn't a good time at all!

Some films from the last weeks.

Die Hard. (1988)
Die Hard 2. (1990)
War for the Planet of the Apes. (2017)
The Untouchables. (1987)
The Magnificent Seven. (1960)
Mad Max : Fury Road. (2015)
Blue Thunder. (1983)
8MM. (1999)

Last edited:
Watched Tommy Wiseau's The Room. I... I... I can't even.

That's an hour and a half of my life that I will never get back.

The key to enjoying this is getting some friends to watch it now as well so you can all quote it to each other all the time.

Watched today, "A Dog's Purpose". Kind of shows the meaning of life. I can relate to the lows so feels touching whilst still giving hope.

Watched "The Gentlemen" starring Matthew McConaughey last night. It's a Guy Ritchie film. Lot's of plot twists. Michelle Dockery plays his wife.

7.5 out of 10

Watched today, "A Dog's Purpose". Kind of shows the meaning of life. I can relate to the lows so feels touching whilst still giving hope.
Googled the film and found there was a sequel called "A Dog's Journey" and it's on Netflix which my brother has. Watched it today making it the first film I watched on Netflix. The film highlights bad and good, sad and happy in its unique way. 👍

After seeing all the cool Alfa ads I finally took a crack at watching 6 Underground a while back. I wish I knew it was a Michael Bay film before going in. Within ten minutes I was thinking oh no, this feels like a Bay flick. Another fifteen minutes after that I just couldn't watch anymore. Just like those Transformer movies, this felt like it was slapped together and editted by a gradeschooler. Sorely disappointed, but if I had known beforehand I could have massively curved my expectations.

Back