What the he** did they do to the AI?!?!?

Not sure about faster (maybe a bit) but it definitely much more aggressive.

This one AI wants to ram me off and this is in GT League beginner race:

I haven't completed that series in Beginners because it is so 🤬 annoying. Like little terriers yapping at your ankles! The dirtiest driving, ever. Decided to forget it, even if I don't complete Campaign 100%! And that was when I first got the game in January, not just since updates.

I've read that maybe the AI in Beginner championships are more aggressive because they're supposed to be beginners, so more prone to mistakes and more aggressive.
If so then they should've been slower and oversteers most of the time , not suddenly become toxic rammer.

I haven't completed that series in Beginners because it is so 🤬 annoying. Like little terriers yapping at your ankles! The dirtiest driving, ever. Decided to forget it, even if I don't complete Campaign 100%! And that was when I first got the game in January, not just since updates.

In custom races, AI beginner accelerate only to 60% of the max; AI intermediate 80%, and professional 100%. If it is anything like in custom races, just pass them in the straights and you finish first easily. I mean, come on, finishing the beginner campaign is easier than placing decals correctly on the porsche 919...

@Loverson
I always wondered if I am the only one that has issues on Interlagos Gr3 custom race. I really have issues matching the time of the top AI, I found this out as I wanted to train for next week's Gr3 race.

I have also witnessed for the first time an AI crashing in the BMB premium race in a really weird way : the blue nsx was entering into the last curve of BMB, and mid turn it suddenly turned right and crashed full speed in the wall, spinning one or two times. Super weird.

Last edited:
The AI in Beginner and Amateur prone to have some serious nutty problem.
They sort of program at least a single car to be way faster or such and some races they have that but just go off track and ram other racers. Some are just plain fast and can become a bothersome (The Amateur Autopolis race with the Roadster is a nightmare with stock and using the Eunos, it's always this pink Roadster going in hard)

Anyway back to Custom Race AI, i've never had any problem with them, the only issue is obviously the unbalance part of the N category with the cars.
If you pick the SLR Mclaren in N600... well good luck winning properly but if you pick N700 with the Huayra in top speed tracks, you'll hardly have any trouble aside same cars or a 650S.

Gr.3 always suffers to have the M6 being the fastests and starting firsts. They sort of improve the racing line with the 1st placed car but they depend on track! Interlagos in Brazil can be tough but tracks like Nordschleife the AI can't keep up.

I have found that the AI will drive "normally" until I pass the leader, then it becomes much more aggressive. So I pace the leaders (usually stay around 2nd-3rd place) and then rush ahead on the last couple laps for the win. If I pass them too soon, I spend the rest of the race defending my lead position. So I have not allowed them to re-take the lead to see if they slow down, that would be interesting to see what they do once back in the lead.

I used to love this game, used to being the keyword. I hadn't played for awhile, and got this brilliant idea a couple nights ago to fire up the PS and play it. There is no way I can keep up with AI in the custom races!!! They must have sped them up tremendously!!!! Oh well another game for the trash dumpster to keep Project Cars 2 company...

you want to donate your copy of Project Cars 2 to me seeing as your just throwing it in the trash?

The Amateur Autopolis race with the Roadster is a nightmare with stock and using the Eunos, it's always this pink Roadster going in hard

I've had some fun side by side, back and forth actions with the white striped pink roadster on Tokyo. The one I watch out for is the pink Aston Martin

Just did an Amateur Clubman race right now with the Clio. Was making good pace but after I passed the blue R34, on the straight heading down hill to the right hander, that SOB pit maneuvered me. I kid you not. And he didn't stop until I was turned around. That was with counter steering and a FF car. He was determined and I made quick friends with the wall.

At Maggiore**

I used to love this game, used to being the keyword. I hadn't played for awhile, and got this brilliant idea a couple nights ago to fire up the PS and play it. There is no way I can keep up with AI in the custom races!!! They must have sped them up tremendously!!!! Oh well another game for the trash dumpster to keep Project Cars 2 company...
Project Cars 2 has a bug that where all the AI cars will get disqualified for speeding in pit lane. I guess there’s no danger of being beaten there :lol::lol:

With an unmodified MX-5 (NA) around Tsukuba, I am TWO seconds faster per lap than the "hard" AI drivers with the same cars. Catch-up disabled, of course.
Also, at one point I caught a glitch where a white MX-5 (NA) was going NINE seconds slower per lap. The replay showed the AI driver refused to accelerate 100%.

AI isn't much of a challenge as long as I stay on track.

My one complaint I remember is the AI's line on T1 at Nurburgring GP. They take the inside line every time, they usually brake late and just completely overshoot the turn and I always end up getting torpedoed.

keep-calm-and-git-gud-10_article_large-jpg.704055

AI have always been faster in custom races and I am very glad it is. They provide me with a real challenge and I would be very annoyed if PD slowed them down (not that this is on their agenda though!). I've always loved the AI in this mode.

I only do custom races running a completely stock tune on the cars and cannot speak for those who tune their cars to completely smash the AI.

Absolutely. Tuning is kinda pointless in this game to me. Can't be used in Sport, you crush the AI in single player stock.... I guess some lobbies eh? And top speed runs on SSX. And farming credits in some races....

AI have always been faster in custom races and I am very glad it is. They provide me with a real challenge and I would be very annoyed if PD slowed them down (not that this is on their agenda though!). I've always loved the AI in this mode.

As someone who doesn't like Sport, I'm not fast enough to get in with a group of people who are consistent and display sportsmanship. I'd rather be rammed by a bad robot than a jerk of a human - plus the actual cheating.... anyway, with a properly set up race I find the Professional AI an interesting challenge when I start far enough back, set the right amount of laps.

I think the real test to being allowed to race in Sport instead of watching a video is to complete an Endurance Race and winning clean. Too high of an entry barrier though I'm sure.

I kind of like threads like these once in a while. I spend so much time looking at the laps of aliens and the really good drivers I tend to think I'm the slowest one out there. This reminds me I am not! :cheers: for making me feel better.

If you really want to feel you suck try beating the R8 in the six lap Interlagos challenge! For the average that was a challenge!

Last edited:
To be fair to the OP, if you race "like for like", ie. GT3 vs GT3 you might find the classic "two rabbits" running away...

eg. I found the two Walkenhorst BMW M6's walk the rest of the field (so to speak) while the lone Ueno Clinic F1 rounds up third and the rest of the field is way behind.

It may take some creative driving if your car is stock/untuned.

OK I just did the Autopolis 30 lapper... I wasnt brave enough to use the Ueno Clinic F1 so I used an old staple, the Vantage V12 GT3. This car is really good with an engine that doesnt have much of a midrange... again this 6.0 V12 is sort of like the 6.0 V12 in the F1... it has top range but obviously nowhere near as much as the BMW S70.

So my strategy was terrible... RH and just drive as fast as you can overtaking mid markers on max fuel map. I think I got the lead by lap 18... I didnt see who the leaders were as I overtook them in the pits... so there was no decisive battle for the lead.

Fuel up max and always took RH. I think by about lap 23 I had like 5 laps of fuel left. I was already doing max fuel map 1 on the straights but dropped it map 3 or so on the twisties.

By about lap 27 I was in dire straights... I flat out did not want to pit so I just 'fuel map 6' the rest of the race.

My lead went from 20 secs to about 45 secs by the end. My car was doing 1'55" times so pretty terrible.

Max attack times were about 1'47" so again pretty poor.

Ended the race with like 0.8 lap fuel left. Short shifted everywhere and took corners in 3rd with say 4,000rpm.

This is not exactly very strategic racing... RH tyres did the lot, you didnt need to change tyres much but you may as well for consistency.

You do better with a car with good fuel econ which is not a V12. Allegedly you get 10 laps per refuel but I go nowhere near that.

The lack of AI pretty much says it all.

The slow AI in Gran Turismo Sport has a few reasons to exist, here is what I can guess from my 20 years of playing racing games and my 6 months working in an actual PS4 racing game:

· The AI drivers obey the laws of physics within the game, probably working with the same inputs too, that is a good thing if done right. The issue is that Polyphony might have failed to make them have the reflexes players have so they play it "too safe" and cannot be as fast as B-rated players (I am B-rated and I am, on average, around 2% faster than the HARD drivers in custom races).

· Remember the "inputs" thing? Well, in a way, AI drivers have less things available than we do. They cannot tune the car and, as far as I know, they cannot use different fuel maps. They do have some sort of strategy even if it is poorly calculated, they know when the fuel window opens. If you want to have a "fair battle" with them on longer races, always go for a full tank of fuel and always use the richest fuel map.

· The game only has ONE RACING LINE PER TRACK. If you use a slow car around a fast track you are going to see the AI drivers take unnecessarily wide lines around corners that are 100% flat. Cars with unbalanced behavior suffer from this specially because they take lines that are incredibly inefficient for them.

How to solve some problems for future Gran Turismo games?

· I suggest Polyphony goes for what a little game called SODA Offroad Racing did in the mid 90s. In that game you could build your own tracks and the game would then spend some minutes trying to figure out the best racing line possible by running dozens of simulations with each of the game's 3 vehicles (a lightweight buggy, a pro-2 pick-up truck and a pro-4 one). Polyphony might not be able to do that with all ¿1000? cars but they could take a few "generic" ones (SuperFormula, Red Bull Standard, Red Bull Junior, LMP1, GT500, GT3, RWD GT4, FWD GT4, AWD GT4, K-car, vintage muscle car, etc) that could serve as the base for all cars to follow. The lines taken by the AI drivers would make a lot more sense, that is for sure.

· There should be events for "bonestock" cars and events for tuned cars, BoP is not enough. In the 2nd type of events, cars with very obvious problems in the tuning side of things (the gear ratio of a lot of old cars and modern sports cars) could be somewhat optimized to better suit the racetrack.

Custom races are always fun when I'm out of sync with the daily races and have 12 minutes to waste.

I always race 1 class up on super soft racing tires from the back of the pack. The AI racing line is really predictable so it's a good way to practice passing on the outside. It helped out immensely with Nurburgring and learning how to pass an adjust racing lines to accommodate the passing.

This is interesting because I found them to be the opposite.

Maybe someone else can add their experience?

I mostly run single make races in custom and I experienced the same thing. There are some cars that give an easy win and others are very difficult indeed which I applaud.

My custom race:
  • 3 laps - 5 laps
  • No boost
  • Mono / Single make
  • Starting position: LAST
  • AI Pro
The races with the DS3 and 208 GTI are nice and the AI is enough aware but the aren't that fast. Win is possible within 3 laps and tidy driving. Now I fired up the Peugeot VisionGT on Big Willow and with exactly the same settings and the AI was fast, really fast. Only was able to get to place 12 or 10 after 3 laps and due to some errors of the AI.

Same for the GT3 class (mixed) at Barcelona and GTbyCtroën (single make) at Monza. Lovely racing against the AI and within 3 to 5 laps a win wasn't possible, probably need around 7 to 10 laps to achieve. However a small mistake and AI fights back and also they keep pretty much on your tail. Offline racing is quite fun these days 👍 allthough it could be a bit more balanced sometimes.

The only difficult part of custom races or GT league is avoiding contact from the idiotic AI. They are Slamming on the brakes right at the apex, after braking early. Or dive Bombing from 5 seconds back only to smash into you. Weaving down the straight or in braking zones. If they drove even remotely close to normal it would almost be too easy for a clean race bonus win. If you don't go for the clean race bonus, beating the AI is very easy. For example (one of many) at Bathurst. At the top of the mountain, turn 9, or frog hollows, regardless of class or ai difficulty level, they nearly come to a stop thru a turn that needs a lift, at most. Go around the outside and make up an easy 5 seconds per lap to the leader. There are couple of other corners there too where the same can be said. Custom races get difficult (IMO) when you start to do N400 with stock settings vs N600+. Why can't the AI behave like they do in Rfactor2, ACC, or just drive more realistically? In RF2 driving in heavy traffic there is at most minor contact (rubbing) but no erratic behaviour from the AI

Wow that was long, sorry. /rant

Assessing AI in GT League is pointless as all kinds of boosts are on.

For a fairer fight with AI it's best to run Custom Race with Boost off, also the AI run with BoP on with Sport Hard Tyre in N-Class and Racing Hards in race classes **(edit: AI run with BoP off if one-make race). There are some cars that are not competitive within there class with BoP which can make for some tough races if you choose the right or rather wrong car.

I wish the AI were more adjustable and race able without BoP on, I hate having to bork cars with BoP to race the AI. The Mclaren F1 is a prime example with BoP it's about 300kg heavier and no where near as fun to drive but pretty much the only way to get an evenish race.

Last edited:
The AI are improved.

It happened to me at LeSarthe. I don't think the AI should be intentionally pit maneuvering people.

I was so shocked I had to check the replay to be sure, and sure enough as I passed the AI car on a straight I saw their steering sharply move towards me right when my rear tyre was level with their front. It was totally unavoidable and dirty as hell. It doesn't even get that bad in daily races!

With an unmodified MX-5 (NA) around Tsukuba, I am TWO seconds faster per lap than the "hard" AI drivers with the same cars. Catch-up disabled, of course.
Also, at one point I caught a glitch where a white MX-5 (NA) was going NINE seconds slower per lap. The replay showed the AI driver refused to accelerate 100%.

But what tires are you running? They usually run sport hard.

Back