What tips do you guys have for a beginner in GT Sport in terms of Sport mode?

• Thread starter YoungBoi
  • 30 comments
United States
United States
I had a very disappointing first Sport race (DR: E, SR: B) where it was 2 laps and all miatas. I ended up 10th out of 12th even though my position in the starting grid was 5th. That race was just downright pathetic. On the bright side my SR went up mostly.

So I wanted to know, what tips do you guys have? Not looking for tips in a specific area, any tip goes! Thank you!

It depends what you want from the game, if you want to tick off the awards, then there are ways to speed that up.
If you want competitive races with clean drivers, and care about that more than ticking boxes, then practice the track and car before entry. Don't just practice the hot lap, practice defensive lines, overtaking lines.

Do about 10-20 practice laps before entering the event, you'll be surprised how much faster you are after even that short period of time.

Then just try and be clean when driving, if someone wants to come past at all costs, prob worth it to let them past, have them have a horrible SR rank while yours increases and you'll move onto better pastures.

There's a lot of truth here. Get your practice laps in ahead of time, and keep an eye on your mirror. Just concentrate on hitting your marks/apexes, and having clean races. Getting out of the SR dumpster is key to a good experience, and you'll gradually get faster as you go.

Do about 10-20 practice laps before entering the event, you'll be surprised how much faster you are after even that short period of time.

Then just try and be clean when driving, if someone wants to come past at all costs, prob worth it to let them past, have them have a horrible SR rank while yours increases and you'll move onto better pastures.

1. Drive in the bumper cam mode, the one with the rear view mirror. This allows you to easily see what's going on behind you.
2. Learn your brake points, and understand that if you're drafting somebody, your brake point is now different.
3. Don't follow right behind somebody until you're comfortable with how they drive, and even then - I wouldn't follow directly behind someone until higher DR, lower skill drivers are unpredictable.
4. Just because you are going faster than somebody in front of you, doesn't mean it's a passing opportunity. Especially in the slower cars, trying to go 2 wide through a technical section of course usually will just slow you both down - and at lower DR's most drivers won't know how to give space for another car when they're not used to it.
5. Winning races is just as much about being consistent as it is about being fast.
6. Don't retaliate, if somebody pushes you off track, or slams into your rear end, don't try and "teach them a lesson" - it'll just make things worse.
7. LEARN the tracks - seriously, go to circuit experience and get all gold for the track you're about to race.
8. Watch for brake lights, they're hard to see in this game - but they are there, and are a valuable resource when you're in a pack.
9. If you see what looks like a dangerous situation in front of you, or a wreck happening - don't try and barrel through it at full throttle. Yes sometimes you can hold the gas and get through unscathed, but 9 times out of 10 you won't. You'll have a much easier time navigating trouble/accidents when you simply come off the gas (you don't necessarily have to hit the brakes).
10. Watch the fastest lap replays, and turn on telemetry so you can see their braking / throttle and get an idea for how they drive the track.
11. Drive clean, you won't learn anything from using other peoples cars as barriers, or dive bombing every corner.
12. Just because you don't win, doesn't mean you had a bad race.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I will definitely be finishing the entirety of driving school (I participated in this race when I just finished the first set of intermediate driving school lessons), the missions and the circuit experiences before my next foray into sport mode.

I'll be taking everyone's advice into consideration!

If you want to progress your SR at a good pace, always spend a bit of time getting the best qualifying time you can achieve; if you're placed higher in the starting grid you're less likely to be bumped off track or end up getting caught in traffic.

In Sport mode as mentioned above many times it's really important to get the absolute best qualifying time you can achieve. So spend however long it takes you to feel like you've reached your potential, then enter the race.
It's important to try and be relatively near the front if you want to have a chance of winning because the grids are so spaced apart it's difficult to really climb if you start towards the back.
Personally I've found it best to concentrate on one of the daily races only, rather than spreading yourself thinly across all three.

Oh I forgot one of the most important lessons...

Have the radar on at all times when you can!!! :lol::lol:

1. Drive in the bumper cam mode, the one with the rear view mirror. This allows you to easily see what's going on behind you.

I personally don't like bumper cam and found that with a DS4 correcting snap over-steer was easier when I could see the wheel. Also some of the race cars have decent rear view mirrors or a big screen in the middle of the dash that also gives you a good view of behind

No that's not good advice. You need to be practicing running in traffic cleanly and raise your rating properly, otherwise you'll get to S and then you'll be the one causing issues for other drivers due to your inexperience.
Yeah that's a good point.

Some really good advise in here.
My .02, drive as clean as you can, grin and bear the crash and ram fests when they occur, just keep racing even if you get rammed/spun all the way back to last place. Getting DR and SR up only happens if you race, if you exit just because you (or you get) spun/wrecked, you are doing yourself no favors.

Example, I started a race at Suzuka last night (DR.B SR.A) in 4th, I made a mistake in turn 1 (high speed, did not take anyone with me), buy the time I recovered and made my way back on track I was in 18th place (last). Ran the entire race (10laps) and got back up to 5th (made a couple nice passes, but most spots gained were due to cars making mistakes which simply put, allowed me through)... upon exiting the race I noticed I am now SR.S.

Had I quit, I would not have progressed.
At one point I was Mr. E/E... yep, I was that guy... and the racing sucked... I decided to get real, be clean and considerate and earned my way back up the ranks. The racing at SR A and S is an entirely different experience.
So glad I matured my thinking/driving... much more fun now.

Last edited:
No that's not good advice. You need to be practicing running in traffic cleanly and raise your rating properly, otherwise you'll get to S and then you'll be the one causing issues for other drivers due to your inexperience.

It actually isn't completely bad advice either. If someone has no experience racing online, it's best to start in the back. However, they shouldn't just ride around back there. They need to work their way up. This would build confidence and experience running in traffic. It would avoid the mid pack aggression. Starting first few races up front or in the middle will result exactly like his race did. So much going on and so much pressure... hard to learn that way.

BTW OP: focus on being clean and consistent first. Avoid any and all contact. Speed will come with time. You need to focus on that SR now. Good luck and have fun!

Here's one for you and everyone else. If you have an off , don't come back on the track and immediately look to jump back on the racing line unless you are sure perfectly sure it's clear. Don't try to get back up to speed in the middle of the track, hold the line to the side you came back on so the cars already at speed can get by. And even then merge back on gradually. Don't let your incident create issues for others.

2. Learn your brake points, and understand that if you're drafting somebody, your brake point is now different.
3. Don't follow right behind somebody until you're comfortable with how they drive, and even then - I wouldn't follow directly behind someone until higher DR, lower skill drivers are unpredictable.
4. Just because you are going faster than somebody in front of you, doesn't mean it's a passing opportunity. Especially in the slower cars, trying to go 2 wide through a technical section of course usually will just slow you both down - and at lower DR's most drivers won't know how to give space for another car when they're not used to it.
5. Winning races is just as much about being consistent as it is about being fast.
6. Don't retaliate, if somebody pushes you off track, or slams into your rear end, don't try and "teach them a lesson" - it'll just make things worse.
7. LEARN the tracks - seriously, go to circuit experience and get all gold for the track you're about to race.
8. Watch for brake lights, they're hard to see in this game - but they are there, and are a valuable resource when you're in a pack.
9. If you see what looks like a dangerous situation in front of you, or a wreck happening - don't try and barrel through it at full throttle. Yes sometimes you can hold the gas and get through unscathed, but 9 times out of 10 you won't. You'll have a much easier time navigating trouble/accidents when you simply come off the gas (you don't necessarily have to hit the brakes).
10. Watch the fastest lap replays, and turn on telemetry so you can see their braking / throttle and get an idea for how they drive the track.
11. Drive clean, you won't learn anything from using other peoples cars as barriers, or dive bombing every corner.

This is pretty much spot on.

Only thing is add is put a proper amount of time in to qualifying - an hour or so to 1) get a good qualifying time and 2) learn the Car/track.

Don’t put in a qualifying lap so you’re behind everybody and just stay clean. Do that a few times to get your SR up and then you can go for it.

Learn the rythym around the track before racing in sport mode. Learn exactly where youre going to brake, turn in, get on throttle for every corner to the point where you can visualize the entire lap in your head. A fast lap is important bt having that rythym to stay consistent throughout a race is just as important.

This only comes from practice. I do at least 20 laps of learning the track and car before I do a sport mode race. I end up going up against the fastest drivers in my region as a result, it seems daunting but you will rank up quickly doing it this way.

Practice before the race. If you had no laps and the event is 2 minutes to start, dont go for it, wait for the next slot. Put some laptimes.

For the first races you'll probably face SR D drivers, focus on defensive driving if youre not in front. Try to raise your SR to at least A as fast as possible to get out of the limbo.

Here are the best things I can suggest for a new GT Sport player:

-- Be patient. Learn how to manage your emotions and not react with anger or vengeance when someone wrecks you... it may be deliberate or it may be an honest accident... but either way, people will wreck you and it will happen regularly. Even clean drivers make mistakes once in a while.
-- Learn your braking points for each track. This is important. Practice practice practice.
-- Learn how to share the track with other players... meaning, how to be respectful, when and how to allow a faster driver to pass, how to pass someone cleanly (also requires patience), and how to re-enter the track without wrecking anyone.
-- There will always be someone faster than you, and you can't change that... you're never going to be the fastest driver on the planet (if you were, you would have been playing this game from the start instead of just starting with it now).
-- There will always be emotionally reactive drivers, retards, and just crappy people behind the wheel of other cars. You can't change that either. Just learn how to ignore them and move on with your clean and fast racing.
-- Become friends with other clean and respectful drivers, doesn't matter if they are fast or slow. Quality friends are better than quantity friends.
-- Finally, GT Sport is not a perfect game. There will be times when you get pissed of just because the way the game is designed. Just remember there is a lot of good stuff in this game and that's what to focus on. Just take the good with the bad, and most importantly, have fun!

Hope this helps you.

for this miata race of today, try to get a good exit of the chicane, you'll have easy overtakings in the big

How can you turn on telemetry?

for this miata race of today, try to get a good exit of the chicane, you'll have easy overtakings in the big

How can you turn on telemetry?
When watching a replay, go to the gear on the far right, and select turn all options on. Then press O when watching and it will take away the controls for pause/fast forward etc and show the drivers telemetry, including speed and gear.
I find it helpful when I compare there brake points to mine, where they are on the track when going through technical sections, and what speed they take corners at.

It depends what you want from the game, if you want to tick off the awards, then there are ways to speed that up.
If you want competitive races with clean drivers, and care about that more than ticking boxes, then practice the track and car before entry. Don't just practice the hot lap, practice defensive lines, overtaking lines.

How do you determine defensive lines vs overtaking lines?

Do an arcade race vs pro ai first.
USE DRIVING AIDS LINE CONES
Don’t use stability control or counter steer assist these are not allowed in sport mode
USE CONES AND DRIVING LINE
BEFORE entry in sport mode you should be able to turn cones OFF and KNOW where to brake for EVERY corner EVERY lap with little thought at all.
QUALIFY BEST YOU CAN
RACE YOUR RACE
Do what you can do in race with control, if too slow practice more, then try again.
Complete all mission and experience gold on the track you wanna enter before all of what I just said.

THE MOST IMPORTANT IS KNOWING THE LINE AND BRAKE POINTS.
Never miss a brake point
BRAKE BEFORE THAT IF FOLLOWING ANOTHER CAR IN RACE
DO NOT REAR END THE GUY AHEAD.....EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!
DONT TURN OFF TCS

Really knowing when to brake alone and having line on will put you in the mix

Basically once you can follow the line without thought and podium against ai pretty much every time without touching them you should be good to go

Last edited:
Good advices abowe. Id say that one most important one is, that top 10 finish is good and gives positive dr points. Well usually...
So dont be too agressive and risk yours and someone elses last lap...
I have 178 smode races 32900drA 97sr s atm. Top 5 finishes somethhing like 50?
So be cool and respect other players 👍

I heard on some GT Sport stream on twitch that you get points only if you finish higher than number on your car.

This isn't true. The formula for gaining/losing DR is:

For every car you finish in front of you gain:
80 - ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

For every car you finish behind, you lose:
80 + ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

The game ranks everyone in the lobby in order of Driver Rating and allocates door numbers in order. So your door number serves as a rough guide but shouldn't be relied on. The door number system also messes up if there are mixed rankings in the lobby because of some random programming. So if you're in a mixed lobby you shouldn't pay your door number any notice at all.

Latest Posts

Back