What to look for when buying used DFGT

• Thread starter awildo
  • 8 comments
Belgium
Belgium
slyye23
Hello !
I'm going to buy my first wheel and I would like to know what to test before buying it ? If something might not be okay, like pedals or something.
Thanks.

Rule number one for buying a used wheel is, don't buy a used wheel! There are reasons why its used, either faulty and someone's trying to get rid of it or its been banged around too much and on its last races!

Think about this before you buy, just a precaution. You don't want to waste your money on something that you can get new for a bit more money!

You could still buy a used wheel, but you have to keep close touch with the seller first. If something's up with the wheel or pedals and the owner suddenly goes away, it's on you. Taking a risk like this requires full trust with the seller, as like any purchase of this caliber. If you really need to buy a used one for whatever reason, inquire as much as you can to make sure the owner won't just bail off with your money. Of course buying from a well-known reputable source is good, but 9 times out of 10 the source is just third-party.

Rule number one for buying a used wheel is, don't buy a used wheel! There are reasons why its used, either faulty and someone's trying to get rid of it or its been banged around too much and on its last races!

Think about this before you buy, just a precaution. You don't want to waste your money on something that you can get new for a bit more money!
If you check Craigslist, you will occasionally find one that's "barely used, still in original box" or something to that effect. Many people DO buy a wheel and then stick it in the closet. Wheels like that are worth buying, 'cause they're like new for less money. Check out the wheel, pedals and packaging; it's not hard to tell if a wheel's hardly been used.

A significant enough discount to make it worth your while! Have them demo it for you if you can. Besides that, no UNUSUAL rattles, and no wear at the pedals or handholds or distressed rubber, ect, that usually means it's had the tar used out of it. Press all the buttons and make sure they don't stick. A box is usually a good sign that someone cared about it and took care of it too.

Check out the wheel, pedals and packaging; it's not hard to tell if a wheel's hardly been used.

It's the insides of the wheel component that's the issue, not the cosmetics. My wheel is nearly 4 years old but looks as good as the day I bought it, does that mean it's in good condition? I could easily sell mine with MINT condition box for nearly full price but is that fair to the guy buying it? Not to me, the motors are old and wearing down but you wouldn't know that by looking at it.

The only test that's really needed is, to see if the pedals spike when playing a game, or checking the force of the feedback/noise.

All I'm saying to the OP is, beware! There are way too many stories on here about people buying used and getting screwed over, especially if it's out of warranty.

If you are buying first FFB wheel, don't buy used, you probably don't understand any issues what that wheel might have 'coz you don't have any point where to compare.

Back