What transmission do you use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brown TE37s
  • 32 comments
  • 3,374 views

Manual or Auto?


  • Total voters
    77
Messages
230
Philippines
where every politician is corrupt
Messages
tlc_o918
I use manual while my reaction time is still good. I might probably use auto in the later GT games when I get older (prolly in my 60s-death)
 
I think torque curves and possibly needing to save tyres/fuel in GTS will see a landslide for manual gearing but you can still put in a decent lap with automatic.

It'll be interesting seeing how many people are still using it.👍
 
Automatic most of the time for what you said... it's easier on the arthritis. My only gripe with the automatic is that it does not downshift like real world automatics and bogs the engine. I have to tap the parking brake or hold down the brakes longer to force a downshift.
 
Manual with motion sensor in cockpit view.

:cool:
 
Last edited:
What makes it fun or boring? Trying to influence people's votes, was sort of interested will skip.

Realism I guess? I thought it was a natural progression moving from automatic transmission to manual transmission. I moved to manual and do enjoy the shifting. I recently moved to cockpit view and love it! That adds a little more realism (for me).
 
It's somewhat challenging to get used to manual on a DS4, but with a wheel it's basically second nature, especially if you've ever driven a DCT car in real life.
 
why not just put the options down without the bias?


Exactly. I don't want to vote knowing there's a backlash afterwards. It's like "vote for Person A and the country will prosper, but vote for Person B and we will have a recession." It's no longer neutral.

There are good reasons why one chooses an AT over an MT. I, for one, used AT because my cheap steering wheel's left paddle is broken, hence I cannot downshift and rely on the game to do it for me. Would that make me any less skilled or less of a person in general?

Pretty much why I returned to DS4 with motion control steering in order to switch to MT and get to the corners better, not because of satisfying my ego.
 
Last edited:
@Brown TE37s Listen to people above.

Polls should be about people's choice, so no bias is accepted at all. Do not put your own opinion on the polls (fun / boring). I suggest to edit the poll answers before it's too late.
:lol:
 
No idea, but this isn't anonymous. But polls like this just annoy me, why not just put the options down without the bias? I don't think there really is a great difference for most players, it just comes down to preference.

If it's down to preference, which I totally agree with, why would the bias annoy you so much?

I raised an eyebrow at it but it falls way short of protesting about.

Exactly. I don't want to vote knowing there's a backlash afterwards. It's like "vote for Person A and the country will prosper, but vote for Person B and we will have a recession." It's no longer neutral.

There are good reasons why one chooses an AT over an MT. I, for one, used AT because my cheap steering wheel's left paddle is broken, hence I cannot downshift and rely on the game to do it for me. Would that make me any less skilled or less of a person in general?

Pretty much why I returned to DS4 with motion control steering in order to switch to MT and get to the corners better, not because of satisfying my ego.

It's just a census, not an election.

There's a bloke on this forum (numbnuts?) who uses auto, can set ridiculously good times with it and I doubt they're the only one. I can easily ignore the so called bias knowing that plus it makes the census more interesting.
 
I use Auto because the game is more fun for me that way. I've tried different button configurations on the DS4 to use Manual, but I just haven't found one that I can get comfortable with. I know if I put the time in that I would eventually get comfortable with it and it would be second nature, but each time I try it is just too much hard work :).

I've got plenty of room for improvement with regard to the racing line, my corner entries and exits, and dealing with other cars. Using Auto allows me to focus on getting better in all of those areas for now.
 
I am C driver with S/A sportsmanship. Today I was against B, C and D in race A. I could not believe that 9 of 12 drivers were automatic. I was manual and placed 1st. I am 75 yrs old. The B driver was on auto. For those who do not know how to discover who was on what, save race and on replay check each driver with full details in on position and beside the gear number will be MT or AT. So I went back to my first win last August in Race A and because I was new at sim racing I used auto. I looked at all the drivers and every single one was on Automatic! I think the survey is good but it is skewed by drivers who think it is embarrassing to be using auto. Not true. Use whatever makes you happy.
 
I think ones controller plays a major role here. Ive been using manual (sequential / flaps) for years with steering wheel, but I really dislike manual on those rare occasions I use gamepad. Just an unnatural fuzz to me to change gears on pad.

Similar matter of taste between sequential/flaps vs H-pattern with clutch. H-pattern "real manual" is more fun as a simulation, but when racing competitively I rather rely on sequential paddles. There is a reason most of the real life race cars rely on sequential and most often with paddles.

Personally I would need the real life "butt feeling" and g-force feedback to operate H-pattern and especially clutch even remotely naturally.

As for the biased poll - i was tempted to vote automatic just because of the bias. :lol:

I use manual while my reaction time is still good. I might probably use auto in the later GT games when I get older (prolly in my 60s-death)

..and I dont think manual shifting requires much of reaction time - its not like you are surpriced by the need to shift gears.. :cheers::lol:
 
Last edited:
I personally cannot control GR.1 cars AND make sure my braking is correct AND shift properly so anytime I race one of those monster you can bet it is with an automatic transmission. Too many things to deal with at the speeds those things move for me.
 
FoRiZon: ↑

@Brown TE37s Listen to people above.

Polls should be about people's choice, so no bias is accepted at all. Do not put your own opinion on the polls (fun / boring). I suggest to edit the poll answers before it's too late.


He said polls.

Beavis Butthead.gif


There's no denying manual gives you more control over your car but no one should ashamed of using automatic. Use whatever you're comfortable with. However if you are finding it hard to find more speed I suggest giving manual a try.
 
Last edited:
Well... If you're not using a clutch and an H shifter then it's an automatic with a full manual valve body and paddle shifters. If PD would fix the automatics downshift so it's more like real world automatics, you'd have stiffer competition with the auto.
 
Last edited:
I use manual, but learned it mainly because I wanted to improve results in fuel saving races. I do know several drivers who use Automatic a lot and still thrash me to bits all the time. At least 2 of them for A+ on auto only. Run what you like and go like hell
 
Used manual for 20 years before switching to auto recently for GR4 and above except for some unusual cars like the Veryzon. Still use it for the N200 and 300 where it seems to make a real difference. The paddles on the TG-T are also kind of uncomfortable for me to use. Sometimes I'll switch to manual for a few laps to see if there's a marked difference.
 
The best drivers want control of their cars , you look at your tac and the sound of your motor revs , that will tell you if you go up or down a gear.
 
Only use gamepad and have a history of arcade racers, so auto for me.
 
I started off with automatic gears, but changed to manual once I got a wheel. It's just second nature now, and I even use manual when using a controller.
 
Well... If you're not using a clutch and an H shifter then it's an automatic with a full manual valve body and paddle shifters. If PD would fix the automatics downshift so it's more like real world automatics, you'd have stiffer competition with the auto.

Maybe I am using a Ty-drive with a 5 speed Liberty. The Ty-drive mates a torque convertor to what is normally a clutch operated manual.
 
Mistake, sorry
 
Last edited:
I am 75, and I have won 25 races, over 20 using gears. I find I need an hour of practice to qualify near the top in the dailies. The slower the cars, the better I am! lol
 
I use automatic transmission nearly all the time in this game.
 
Back