What TV Will You Play GT Sport With?

• Thread starter DMacs13
  • 58 comments
United States
Dallas, Texas
DoublePass
I am in the market to buy a new TV for my dedicated sim rig and I was wondering do you guys think GT sport is worth buying a 4K TV to play on?

This TV will not be used to watch television it will just be used for gaming and will be attached to my rig, also I race on PC mainly using my Oculus Rift but since I cannot use the Rift on PlayStation and PSVR is only 1v1 I figured I get a dedicated screen so I don't take up the family television lol.

I was thinking about a 720p TV because it would be the only racing game I'll play where I can't use my Oculus Rift but I wanted to here the opinion of some of the guys here that played the beta on 4K with HDR and yes it will be that played on PS4 pro.

I'm curious how a monitor compares to a high-end tv. For gaming, is spending that much more on a tv worth it when a 24, 27, or 32-inch monitor is a fraction of the price?
In my case, my couch is a bit from my stand, so TV's that small would be a bit harder to game on from the location, and just using a chair to sit in the middle of the TV and the couch would just feel odd. I use a 42 right now, but I think I might need to bump it up to something slightly bigger. I do hear they are great concerning latency though.

Last edited:
I am in the market to buy a new TV for my dedicated sim rig and I was wondering do you guys think GT sport is worth buying a 4K TV to play on?

This TV will not be used to watch television it will just be used for gaming and will be attached to my rig, also I race on PC mainly using my Oculus Rift but since I cannot use the Rift on PlayStation and PSVR is only 1v1 I figured I get a dedicated screen so I don't take up the family television lol.

I was thinking about a 720p TV because it would be the only racing game I'll play where I can't use my Oculus Rift but I wanted to here the opinion of some of the guys here that played the beta on 4K with HDR and yes it will be that played on PS4 pro.
Depends on your budget limitations. If you can afford it, 4K and HDR is the way to go. Whether it is "worth" it is not something anyone can answer for you because everyone's situation and personal preferences are different.

In my case, my couch is a bit from my stand, so TV's that small would be a bit harder to game on from the location, and just using a chair to sit in the middle of the TV and the couch would just feel odd. I use a 42 right now, but I think I might need to bump it up to something slightly bigger. I do here are great concerning latency though.
That's been my situation for the previous and current generation of consoles. [Edit - I've been using a 6 year old vizio and a 4 year old Samsung at times.]

Playing GTS and potentially upgrading my PC, I would like to know the cons from a technical point of view since I'm going to make gaming (competitive and story driven games) a higher priority than before. If I could afford an HDR tv, I would go for it plus a monitor. Unfortunately, not an option. 1080p is fine for movies and TV at the moment.

Priorities:
Gaming
Sound / accessories
Movies / TV

... if that makes sense.

That's been my situation for the previous and current generation of consoles. Playing GTS and potentially upgrading my PC, I would like to know the cons from a technical point of view since I'm going to make gaming (competitive and story driven games) a higher priority than before. If I could afford an HDR tv, I would go for it plus a monitor. Unfortunately, not an option. 1080p is fine for movies and TV at the moment.

Priorities:
Gaming
Sound / accessories
Movies / TV

... if that makes sense.
I'm actually going to be putting more effort into it this time around too. I've been using the same 1080p TV since 2011, as I didn't see it necessary to upgrade before, but with all the recent advancements and the push developers are doing with 4k HDR, I think now is a good time to upgrade. I've also been interested in some sort of sound system too, but can do with something as simple as a sound bar to be honest. I'm hoping that around Thanksgiving/Christmas that we see some good sales, the only thing I need to do is research as I'm absolutely clueless on the subject.

This is going to be an expensive year for me, what with the Xbox One X, Ps4 PRO, and a 4k tv I'm trying to get my hands on.

Last edited:
I'm going to upgrade my 37" 1080p TV with a 55" 4K/HDR TV soon, mainly for GTS, PCars2, and F1 2017. A year ago 4K/HDR was rather pointless, but now more and more PS4 games are coming out that make good use of the technologies.

TV prices will probably still go down a bit in October/November for 2017 models, but I've got 4 weeks off work coming up, so I don't want to hold out.

Thanks for replying guys! It looks like I'm not the only one having debates with myself about upgrading. I did some looking around and I found a 32inch TCL 720p-1080p TV going for $170 but I've also stumbled upon a 43inch TCL 4K HDR for $350 with 120Hz CMI. The price seems minimum for the great advantage you get

I'll be using a couple of screens. For just messing about with a pad it'll be the LG 55" B6 OLED with HDR (it's a stunning set if anyone is looking for a TV). But when I'm using the wheel on my rig it will be an iiyama ProLite X4071UHSU-B1. It's a dedicated 40" 4K monitor so no TV tuner or any of the other gubbins that comes with a TV. It's something for you to consider if you are not looking for a TV as the response time is much better than you get on a TV. The only drawback is that it doesn't have HDR.

I expected that to be more expensive, considering it's a Samrt, 4k T.V.

The MU6300 is the "entry model" of the Samsung 4K lineup, that's why. I don't think many companies are producing new 1080p screens at this point. It has very limited HDR capabilities too.

I've got my eye on this Sony model, but I'm going to hold off until Black Friday. Or Black Friday 2018. For me, (good) HDR is more important than resolution, but as it'll be the main TV in the house, I want it to be a good general-purpose model. It'll be replacing the Sharp 32" 1080p LED I currently use: that's actually been perfectly acceptable for the past seven years, but things have moved on.

The local Virgin megastore has the Samsung KS series. They're gorgeous and costs about 25% of my car. So in reality and old LG full HD TV.

I bought the 43 inch variant of the Sony X800D last month, as recommended by NeoGAF. Unfortunately, I bought it right after the GT Sport beta closed, so I can't really judge how the HDR looks aside from the menus and replay demos. =/

It's a good HDR TV, though. Netflix Marvel shows look amazing on it, as well as games such as Uncharted 4/TLL, inFAMOUS, FFXV, etc.

I'm wating until Sony updates their TV lineup with HDMI 2.1 and faster processors so less lag before upgrading. Will stick with the Sony Bravia KDL-32W705 until then.

I will play on my 21" Philips CRT. I use it since GT1!

I wanted to use my old 720p but my nephew dropped it when he was trying to climb a dresser lol. Just glad he wasn't hurt.

But I think I will make the jump to a 4K TV around black Friday to see if I get a little extra discount on the cheapest unit I can find

I wanted to use my old 720p but my nephew dropped it when he was trying to climb a dresser lol. Just glad he wasn't hurt.

But I think I will make the jump to a 4K TV around black Friday to see if I get a little extra discount on the cheapest unit I can find
How cheap do you need to go?

On a 55" Sony X90B
sony-xbr-55x900b-4k-tv-front-2-800x533-c.jpg

How cheap do you need to go?

Well I'm really looking at the TCL 43inch that's $350 brand new right now but just hoping I can get it cheaper, but I'm not sure if it will get any cheaper than that for Black Friday or cyber Monday.

I'm still waiting for Phillips to bring their Ambilight TV's back to North America.

A buddy of mine had the 2005 plasma initial offering. Although his display is nowhere near as good as my Samsung LED 120hz 1080P, or our mate's Sony 4K HDR TV, it is by far the best experience I've had watching movies or playing video games - it is an amazing technology that adds so much to the experience.

I'll give Phillips two years before I start looking elsewhere.

Can't wait to see what it looks like on my 65" Sony Z9D - The HDR should be great. :D With PS4 Pro of course.

And it should sound pretty decent on my Yamaha surround system.

Input lag isn't the lowest with that TV but it isn't too bad, don't think it will be a huge issue as it would be on FPS games. I didn't really buy it for gaming performance, but the picture quality is very good. 👍

I bought the 43 inch variant of the Sony X800D last month, as recommended by NeoGAF. Unfortunately, I bought it right after the GT Sport beta closed, so I can't really judge how the HDR looks aside from the menus and replay demos. =/

It's a good HDR TV, though. Netflix Marvel shows look amazing on it, as well as games such as Uncharted 4/TLL, inFAMOUS, FFXV, etc.

Do you notice a lot of input lag?? This is something I'm starting to worry about and now a friend has me looking into monitors because I am trying to get a bit more competitive on the sim racing side of gaming

My PS4 is currently connected to this:

IMG_1426.PNG

Beautiful TV, no complaints, no input lag that I've noticed.

With that said for me I've realised its to big, sitting in the right place when gaming has become a priority, having to turn your head rather than just move your eyes, adds tenths of second to your reaction times, so for me when GTSport drops, PS4 will be moved back to my trusty 21inch :lol:.

Back