What type of Graphic upgrades do you want in GT5?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 45 comments
GTP_Royalton
I saw the Gran Turismo visions trailer and I was not impressed. All I saw was the same graphics with 10 more cars and more pit men.

That leads me to believe what we saw at E3 was GT4 graphics engine running on some kind of PS3 hardware and KY used the extra power to add a few more cars and pit men. I am 100% convinced that GT5 will look NOTHING like Gran Turismo visions. I doubt development on GT5 has even began. I expect to see GT5 Winter 2007.

So heres the question. What graphical upgrades to you expect/want for GT5? Type what you want and I will make a list in my first post of all your suggestions so you can see if someone already posted and idea that you have had.

I'll add my suggestions first

- Rubber on the track. Marbles. After a long race the track outside of the racing line should fill with rubber.

- If you run off the track, into either sand or grass, you should drag some of the sand or grass back onto the track when you get back on.

- I want the background to move, trees should sway in the wind, Ferris wheels should spin, and track workers on the other side of the fence should be animated. Also have the occasional bird or even deer, not on the track of course.

- Weather

- Day-Night

- Oil and grease build up on the cars after long races. No more just losing a waxy shine like in previous GTs. I want the car to look nasty.

- Pit boards, they dont have to say anything but it would look good if someone held out a pit board.

- Checkered flag, Nice to see someone welcome you home to a victory

- Race flags, eg. yellow if someone has crashed. Red for race aborted.

- Pace car in race.

- Small rivers to run through in rally races

- In rally races have the dirt thats been kicked up cling on to signs and walls

- In ice races have icicles form on the car

- In cockpit view, dust, etc. gathers on the windshield making it harder to see
- An animated grass and dirt particle engine. Squeal your tires, kick up dirt, mud, and grass, and smear it on your car and track...and it stays the entire race. Totally dynamic.

- Animated everything from trees (individual leaves) with dynamic sunlight bleeding through, clouds, realtime sunlight, grand stands of people, kids getting cotton candy, etc.

- More audio effects, individual screams at places, loudspeakers of announcers, and even pit crew guys yelling back and forth for communication and using headsets.

- Cockpit view

- Bugs splatter on windshield

- Kangaroos on Australian tracks

Good list.
I would like to see
- Pit boards, they dont have to say anything but it would look good if someone held out a pit board.
- Checkered flag, Nice to see someone welcome you home to a victory
- Race flags, eg. yellow if someone has crashed. Red for race aborted.
- Pace car in race.

superhodge
Awesome!!!! a topic that was sinking brought back to the top by someone who doesnt want the topic to be there :rolleyes:
this topic will likely fall anyways, or get a couple more posts them fall. Then the creator will yet make a new post of the same thing. Dont get pissy at me. Tell a mod about the extreme reposting the same thing going on here. Ive already done that but apprently just me isnt enough. PM Boombexus and tell him to close the threads in here that are like this.

Other than what is said above:
- In rally races have the dirt thats been kicked up cling on to signs and walls
- In ice races have icicles form on the car
- In cockpit view, dust, etc. gathers on the windshield making it harder to see

I want more exterior mods, common and rare body and aero kits. A painting system even more advanced than the one in juiced and forza combined.

I remember watching a DTM race at Hockenheim and a hare tried to run acrossthe track, the CLK DTM doing 180Mph hit it, there was a lotof damage to the car. If PD were to implement something like animals running onto the track it should be kept to a very minimum though as it doesn't happen often.It should be random but with like a 1% chance it'll happen so you don'tfind it happening too much.

live4speed
I remember watching a DTM race at Hockenheim and a hare tried to run acrossthe track, the CLK DTM doing 180Mph hit it, there was a lotof damage to the car. If PD were to implement something like animals running onto the track it should be kept to a very minimum though as it doesn't happen often.It should be random but with like a 1% chance it'll happen so you don'tfind it happening too much.
Also things like the crazy man who ran on to the track at the spanish gran prix :dunce:

I can't believe no one has said Online Mode. :boggled:

Similar to the first post, I'd like to see:

An animated grass and dirt particle engine. Squeal your tires, kick up dirt, mud, and grass, and smear it on your car and track...and it stays the entire race. Totally dynamic.

Animated everything from trees (individual leaves) with dynamic sunlight bleeding through, clouds, realtime sunlight, grand stands of people, kids getting cotton candy, etc.

More audio effects, individual screams at places, loudspeakers of announcers, and even pit crew guys yelling back and forth for communication and using headsets.

Cockpit view

Weather, Day and Night

I want to see bugs splatter on my car's windscreen(especially if we get an in car view)

Make your own photo drive location.
Start off with a basic flat landscape add trees mountins set the sun position and snap away.
Better still make your own track

Well, let's see..

As rovens said, volumetric smoke. We know the PS3 can do it, so that should be covered.

Hm.. This is actually pretty tricky, since most of the "upgrades" I'd be looking for will be practically automatic with the PS3. HDR reflections (which, by default, will look a hundred times more realistic than what was in GT4), full reflections that show things like the other cars.. self-shadowing, higher polygon counts, visible driver, etc. That should all be there by default.

I would probably vote for NO tire marks, except in extreme circumstances. Most of the time, like when you're taking a corner, and the tires are squeaking a bit, there's not enough rubber being left to actually see. Not until a hundred laps later, anyway, when it starts to build up. The only time you'd actually see "tire marks" is when either a car spins, or if you do a burnout from a standstill, or under extreme braking if the wheels lock. The marks they made in Forza were pathetic.. slightly turn the wheel around a corner, and suddenly you're leaving these HUGE SLATS OF RUBBER on the track. Sorry, doesn't work that way in real life, it shouldn't do it in a game, either.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't mind seeing a more interactive environment. Trees blowing in the wind, leaves on or near the track that get blown around when a car zips by at 150mph.. ruts in the grass and dirt on the track from cars that go off. Little bits of debris on the track (yeah, most of this has already been mentioned above.. hehe), cars that get truly dirty as the race goes on, especially if it goes into the grass once or twice (as opposed to the previous games, where dirty=less reflection).

It wouldn't surprise me if, in GT5 (or GT6 at the latest), the games really do become almost indistiguishable from real life. There are things about GT4 that, as good as it looks, still look a bit "video game"-like. PS3 should blur that line a LOT more, with all the new lighting and texturing tricks they'll have at their disposal.

to the guy who was talking about the hare in DTM saying that caused a lot of damage you obviously hevnt seen the kangaroo @ bathurst last year, absolutely destroyed the front of stephen/jim richards commodore going up the mountain, but not as badly as the kangaroo got it, sorry i dont have the footage but it is going around on the forum

No, I didn't see the Kangaroo at Bathurst, I don't get see the Aussie V8's.

Earth
I saw the Gran Turismo visions trailer and I was not impressed. All I saw was the same graphics with 10 more cars and more pit men.

That leads me to believe what we saw at E3 was GT4 graphics engine running on some kind of PS3 hardware and KY used the extra power to add a few more cars and pit men. I am 100% convinced that GT5 will look NOTHING like Gran Turismo visions. I doubt development on GT5 has even began. I expect to see GT5 Winter 2007.

So heres the question. What graphical upgrades to you expect/want for GT5? Type what you want and I will make a list in my first post of all your suggestions so you can see if someone already posted and idea that you have had.

I'll add my suggestions first

- Rubber on the track. Marbles. After a long race the track outside of the racing line should fill with rubber.

- If you run off the track, into either sand or grass, you should drag some of the sand or grass back onto the track when you get back on.

- I want the background to move, trees should sway in the wind, Ferris wheels should spin, and track workers on the other side of the fence should be animated. Also have the occasional bird or even deer, not on the track of course.

- Weather

- Day-Night

- Oil and grease build up on the cars after long races. No more just losing a waxy shine like in previous GTs. I want the car to look nasty.

-

Everyone on the planet thinks Visions GT was an indicator of GT5. This isn't it, people. Visions GT was only a demonstration - PD had at most maybe.. what, 3 months with the development kit for the PS3? It's relitavely easy (I'd imagine) to add more cars onto the track at once and script some kind of movement for some people outside the pit lane.

All of us here wanted more cars on track at once in GT4 - it's the biggest universal gripe about the game. PD knows this too and basically said with this demo that they were fixing it. Visions: GT used the same car data and texture set as in GT4 - so yeah. It is obviously not going to be impressive.

Anyone else annoyed with everyone in media mixing up GT5 with Visions? Two entirely different things. One is a game, one is a demo.

I think the AI is the biggest grip, closely followed by larger grids and then damage.

Yeah but they're permentent, they're already there. He's talking about them appearing over the course of a longer race, becoming more distinct and noticable.

I too am for all these things mentioned about. Hopefully with the new engine, if there is a new engine, we will see better designed shapes and physics. I want to see a well modeled rim on the car when you play. More modeling on exausts, different types of exausts, different types of flames. In GT1 and 2, there was the option of racing modification, which basically gave you a racing body kit and spoiler if needed. This like stated above, would be very interesting, not too much of a variety just a few, but more then one.
-Reverse lights
-Better smoke, skid marks, and lots of particles!
-Dirt on the car as stated above.
-Better grass
-Water puddles if raining.
-Better physics on rally and snow racing.
-Visable roll cages if they are purchased.
-Visible brakes if purchased
-Visible exaust if purchased(each stage of exaust should look different)

Exhaust smoke in older cars.
windows wipers moving from the exterior view
cockpit view with each cars interior accurately modelled
the drivers clothes looking real, with the seatbelt not being an attatched texture but actually being there
swaying trees with leaves on the road, wet leaves being slippy
debris on the track from previous bumps or races
proper grid starts, with so many cars the red lights like F1 are a must
proper rumble strips, 3d etc
tyre walls that bounce and fall apart when hit
accurate damage obviously
better crowds (captain obvious)
visual wear and tear, dirt on the cars, tyres visually wearing etc
full 3D marshalls etc, if you crash they run out to help
crashes that total your car forcing you to retire, imagine that in a 24 hour race 23 hours in :P
planes and jets flying overhead in the distance
helicopters

thats me done!

Back