What was your most shocking thought when GT1 came out?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ViperTeamOreca
  • 51 comments
  • 4,556 views
Messages
27
Mine was when I saw arcade mode, and you could choose from like Mazda, Toyota, Subaru, etc. I was overwhelmed by that. I remember running races 7 hours at a time, All i wanted was the special models and a viper. I was young back then, (19) now, but lol, I used to run the easy races at Autmn RIng Mini with a viper GTSR against like CIvics with 120 HP, just to save up 500,000 CR for the special models. LOL I remember those days. What were you guys' first thought when you first saw GT1?👍
 
I was very young when GT1 came out, and I didnt realize that there was a also career mode.....:scared:
After some months it was very boring and I was angry that the top speed in arcade modus was only 236km/h so I played around in the options menu and I found the career modus. My jaw fell of.:eek:

I played 2 days without a break saving money to get the Viper RT10 to break the 300km/h-limit! Can you imagine what I felt when I saw the racing modification for it? :dopey: :drool:
 
What's shocking was how addicted to GT I was. I mean I would spend my whole entire day thinking about GT. I was mostly a Viper guy, too,
 
Last edited:
I think I was shocked with the amount of cars and the fact that most of them weren't racing cars but everyday commuter cars.
 
I think I was shocked with the amount of cars and the fact that most of them weren't racing cars but everyday commuter cars.

Yeah deffinatly....i was like "How many cars!!:crazy:" :lol:
 
i was 3 or 4 when i got gt1, so i can't remember much but i was:drool: at the graphics, gameplay and especially the music, which in my opinion, is the best part of the game, it made me want to sit there all night and listen to it:drool:

i can't remember when it came out as i was too young:drool:
 
"Why in the world would people want to race with Civics and stuff?"

Come on...it was 1998, and I was a Need for Speed fan. :lol:
 
being 8 and a car lover i was astounded that i could "drive" all the cars i could only dream of
 
God it was years ago. i was about 12. I thaught it was the most amazing thing i'd ever seen. used to love playin the clubman stage with that GTO Twin turbo. Bought the game again a few weeks ago, gona kill it off once more!👍
 
Best days of my life.

I was 9 (almost 10) when Gran Turismo came out. When I first got my Playstation, I got a used soccer game and the demo that came with the system. On the demo disk, there was a GT demo. I would spend hours racing the NSX, Corvette and Subaru Racing car on the Clubman R5 circuit. A few months later, I got the real game. I couldnt get enough. I loved it. No other game came (or comes even now) close.

I would play and play and play. I wasnt very good, but I worked hard on getting my lisences and winning races. I ended up beating arcade mode on hard, but it was alot of great fun and hard, a had to use the fastest cars in each class. I remember winning the sunday cup over and over in my impreza Type R to save up for the GTO LM. Once I got it, I used it to win all the tough races. I also used my GTO to push the Silvia in the Sunday cup to finish second in the championship. I just felt sorry for it losing every race, so I made it second (behind me). Then I got my GTO twin turbo and modded it to 930hp and started entering the Megaspeed. 242mph baby! Then came the FTO LM, Cerbera LM, Del sol LM. It also took me a long time to get my IA lisence but I eventually got it and beat the game.

By the time I stopped playing the game 3+ hours a day (and whole days wasted on weekends), GT3 was already out for a while. It was 2003, 5 years later. lol, I skipped GT2 because I was so in love with GT1. I bought a PS3 and GT3 in 2003 (and GT4 the day it came out), but Ive still played the original from time to time. Not anymore though, as both my PS and PS2 are both broken and unplugged. Though when I get PS3 (probably with GTHD), ill be sure to play more of this unbelievable game.

God, I love this game. 👍

btw, I still get shivers every time I watch the Gran Truismo intro. What effect, its absolutely awesome!
 
I just kept plowing through the Sunday Cup and the easier races until I had enough money to full outfit my GTO to like 950 HP. And then it was basically a game of how much I could destroy the competition by.

The Concept Car was awesome (the Dodge Copperhead); I couldn't believe how well it handled after basically only driving the GTO for the last 200 races.
 
Once I got it, I used it to win all the tough races. I also used my GTO to push the Silvia in the Sunday cup to finish second in the championship. I just felt sorry for it losing every race, so I made it second (behind me).

btw, I still get shivers every time I watch the Gran Truismo intro. What effect, its absolutely awesome!

That's funny--pushing the Silvia to lead cuz you felt sorry for it :) I kinda felt sorry for it too...

And I also love the GT1 intro, it's my fave. I just love it when the music stops and the GT logo comes up. It looks like the intro is over but then you see a wheel, and a car blasts away! I always forget if it's a Skyline or an NSX.
 
Last edited:
i pushed a Skyline into the lead once beacuse i felt sorry for it:lol:
 
Eight tracks? Dozens of real cars? What great value for your money!

Wait a minute, what's this item here labelled "Simulation Mode"? Is that something good too?

(It wasn't until much later I realized there were a lot more cars the AI drove in Arcade Mode which you couldn't, at least not without a Game Shark).

Sorry, this is much like what Michael88 said, but it really is pretty much how I discovered the depth of the game.
 
I'm the opposite of you...to this day I've never touched Arcade mode in GT1. I mean...I literally never went there. I did a few arcade races in GT2 & 3, but I've never completed them. Kinda like real-life..when there's no money involved, what's the point?
 
Last edited:
You don't get money in Arcade Mode, but you do get blue dots. (Later yellow and red!)

And you get more tracks! And then more cars!

And, since I was stuck for a while without a B license, and only 5 Simulation spot races to choose from, practising the tracks in Arcade mode seemed useful, and added variety. I also used it to help decide on car choices in Simulation Mode (although I now know that caused some unfair bias, since so many cars cannot be driven in Arcade mode).
 
I thought I would never be good enough to get the gold license times.
Damn they seemed hard back then.

Also I was shocked to find I could play the US version by loading the Demo and then swapping to the Pal Disc.

The Demo Disc also made it possible to easliy get the gold license prize cars with a bronze pass time.
 
Is that swapping with a modded PlayStation? Or is its lid detector malfunctioning? Or did the demo disable the lid check, somehow?

And, hey, for a while I thought I would never do the bronze times for the IA license! (And after that, I thought I would never win the Hard-Tuned, and then I thought I would never win all races in that series, but eventually I did...)
 
Most shocking was to find out I could win Sweet cars in a game that seemed real, Turned out to be a cheap addiction!-))
 
That's where I left off as you know....Hard Tuned Series. It will get done one of these days and then I can say I finally truly beat GT1 entirely.
 
Last edited:
Most shocking was to find out I could win Sweet cars in a game that seemed real, Turned out to be a cheap addiction!-))
But, after that, real life seemed so dull by comparison . . .
 
Is that swapping with a modded PlayStation? Or is its lid detector malfunctioning? Or did the demo disable the lid check, somehow?
Using a standard PS1, put the Demo in and start it, then after a few minutes take the Demo out and put in the Game (mine was PAL), It opens up all the garages for the US game, and in the license section there are no bronze, silver or gold times in the records section, pass with a bronze time and a gold entry gets added. Easy way to get the 4 coloured Nismo 400 R prize cars.
You can play almost up to 100% completition, however after clearing all off arcade the video must trigger something that stuffs up the game save.

I think the demo must have loaded just about a complete version into the PS1 and by putting in the game disc that unlocked all the code.


And, hey, for a while I thought I would never do the bronze times for the IA license! (And after that, I thought I would never win the Hard-Tuned, and then I thought I would never win all races in that series, but eventually I did...)

It took me so long to get better than fourth here. The first car from memory I won all five races in was a fully tuned turbo 4WD Galant.
 
But, after that, real life seemed so dull by comparison . . .
True, Big time, I was playing the game in the middle of the night, 2 hours before I had to be at work! I was saying i'm not doing that anymore and would end up doing it repeatedly! I was hooooooooked!!!
 
It took me so long to get better than fourth here. [Hard-Tuned Series] The first car from memory I won all five races in was a fully tuned turbo 4WD Galant.
That sound familiar to me, too.

But in
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/blue.txt
I seem pretty proud of having won all five races in the series with a GTO'95MR. That was at the end of June, 1999, six months after I had bought the game. One scary thing is that that six months seemed like a much longer time than six months of playing subsequent games did . . .

(Warning: I there use my nickname "Abnormal" as the name for the series, in all but one case--see there's a "Normal" series, and a similar "Abnormal" series).

Ah . . .
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-06-10.html
says a Viper RT/10 was the car I first won all five races with, though only some three weeks earlier. Er, maybe not. That was the first car to win at the Autumn Ring II.
 
I think the most shocking thought was : "There's dad's car in there!!" ('91 Primera/Sentra) :D

No wait it wasn't that! Granted, the car selection is still pretty wide for a racing game at the time. But being an Need For Speed fan from long ago, the infusion of "realistic physics" gave a distinct experience of driving, different to the "e-brake makes your exotic through an hairpin" arcade rendition of driving. :)
 
I was a little perturbed when I bought my first car in simulation mode, and went to the settings screens, and saw lots of adjustments which didn't work. I eventually figured out that was because you needed to buy adjustable parts, of course.

It was also amazing that they needed to use a two-CD case to hold the game manuals!!!
 
I remember that also, Like it was yesterday! I also remember how I finally got my licenses up to par and started winning races to win LM cars, I won them just to sell them and soup up my cheap cars, I didn't know of a GS and GS Pro then, Those were the days! I'd just go blow threw races to get the expensive LM cars so I could sell them and Crank up my Skylines and Hondas.
 
That's funny. That's what I do, most of my LM & specialty prizes wind up getting sold, but I'll occasionally keep a gem here and there. I'm obsessed with car specs, and since LMs aren't real (I can't look them up) I tend not to race them too often. It's like this: reality> car in real life> car in the game mimics car in real life. If it doesn't, I feel disconnected from it somehow.
 
Last edited:
I remember that also, Like it was yesterday! I also remember how I finally got my licenses up to par and started winning races to win LM cars, I won them just to sell them and soup up my cheap cars, I didn't know of a GS and GS Pro then, Those were the days! I'd just go blow threw races to get the expensive LM cars so I could sell them and Crank up my Skylines and Hondas.
But in GT1, selling an LM car didn't get you any more money. All prize cars were worth Cr12,000, even Demios! Perhaps you are thinking of GT2? The Red Rock Valley cash-machine. (Or perhaps you just didn't realize...)

When I said "didn't" there, I meant, "didn't realize at the time you were first playing the game", not "didn't realize when you posted your post". I want to leave the above unedited, however, since it has been quoted later in the thread.
 
Back