What will it be of GT once Kaz retires or well...

• Thread starter Fat Tyre
  • 240 comments

Would you continue to buy GT games if Kaz would not be in charge?

• Yes

Votes: 123 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Depends (expand on comments)

Votes: 79 36.4%

• Total voters

Buying future GT games has nothing to do with Kazunori Yamauchi retirement for me.
It's very simple:
If in the future GT games the physics remain simcade I would not buy these games.
If in the future GT games the physics becomes on a par with the best PC simulators I will buy these games.

....Actually, I think future GT games should be developed by someone other than PDI led by Kaz....:sly:

How 'bout the lead designer from Forza? :embarrassed:

7280eedf85ea5d674c22c5959d6e86cb.gif

Even if Kaz retires, or dies (hopefully not, even if he's a smoker), or gets Kojima'd. I would still buy GT games and merchandise. I mean, he's what he is nowadays due to GT, and for his automotive visions he has (like the vision GT), and that's what I have in mind everytime I play either GT6 or an older GT. For more uglier it can be the game, I still feel the essence and soul that makes GT unique than other games. And, even if Kaz dies, GT at least would still have the essence and soul Kaz and PD left to the game, something WE ALL would hate to see gone, and there would be even more things coming to the game. :)

To be honest, I don't know how PD would survive without Kaz, but I'm sure we'll still get some great games...

Buying future GT games has nothing to do with Kazunori Yamauchi retirement for me.
It's very simple:
If in the future GT games the physics remain simcade I would not buy these games.
If in the future GT games the physics becomes on a par with the best PC simulators I will buy these games.
I don't see that happening. PD has to cater to controller users too.

I don't see that happening. PD has to cater to controller users too.
That's what driver aids are for.

Frankly, I think this thread is aweful. I think PD knows best what they'll do. Many of the guys working there have built this franchise from the ground up with Kaz. I'm sure the lead would go to one of them. Like why even discuss this? :odd:
Why are you here if you feel that way? Plenty of other threads to enjoy on GTP.

A blessing or a curse,but I say get a new person up to replace Kaz's position for a sake of new direction or at least evolve GT as it should. His accomplishments mean well,but doubt he likes the publicity he's been getting to enjoy his position as of now from the decisions he made these recent years. Just my thoughts.

if Kaz retires this would be the best what can happen to the GT Series. He paved the way and everyone is thankfull for that, but its time to make space for a younger guy who's mind isn't in the 90's anymore. Kaz made too much major mistakes since GT4.

I honestly don't care who's in charge as long as they make a good game. My respects to Kaz for making these kind of games exist in the first place and for the legacy that GT is, but his "vision" is not what sells the game anymore. Sadly we live in a super fast-pace and ever-evolving society. Consumers want the best "now." And as a consumer, there will be other options in the market that already sell you what what other products just promise for "soon."

Hope that by the time other games get boring, there will be a new GT that does everything better.

That's what driver aids are for.

Why are you here if you feel that way? Plenty of other threads to enjoy on GTP.
All the driver aids in the world won't help you if the physics engine itself is 100% tailored to wheel users.

All the driver aids in the world won't help you if the physics engine itself is 100% tailored to wheel users.
The physics engine is tailored to real life, not wheel users. Physics are real and the game is supposed to emulate them, as close as possible if it's a sim. It's up to game designers to find a way to make controllers work well with the physics, not the other way around.

It's mostly about who's in charge. If he's not in charge though, the staff involved would be a huge factor when considering whether or not to buy a game or continue supporting the series.

Put it this way: Would most people in charge of a racing game on a games console consider supporting as many wheels that are out of date (example being the Logitech steering wheels) as Kazunori Yamauchi did or does? They kept using their support of the Logitech wheels long after they were made fully compatible to GT5 and 6.

Last edited:
It's mostly about who's in charge. If he's not in charge though, the staff involved would be a huge factor when considering whether or not to buy a game or continue supporting the series.

Put it this way: Would most people in charge of a racing game on a games console consider supporting as many wheels that are out of date (example being the Logitech steering wheels) as Kazunori Yamauchi did or does? They kept using their support of the Logitech wheels long after they were made fully compatible to GT5 and 6.

PlayStation 3 Wheels
Fanatec Clubsport Pedals
Logitech Driving Force EX
Fanatec Clubsport Wheel
Logitech Driving Force GT
Fanatec CSR Logitech
Driving Force Pro
Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
Logitech G25
Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera
Logitech G27
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel
Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel
Thrustmaster F430
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel
Thrustmaster RGT FF Pro
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel
Thrustmaster T100
Mad Catz MLG Pro Circuit
Thrustmaster T80
Thrustmaster T500 RS Racing Wheel
PlayStation 3 Supported Wheels
Atomic Super Sport
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS2
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S
Fanatec ClubSport (NEW)
Fanatec CSR Elite (NEW)
Logic 3 TopDrive GT
Logic 3 TopDrive RF
Logitech Driving Force
Logitech Driving Force EX/RX
Logitech Driving Force Pro
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 Force Feedback
Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience
Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Pro Clutch
Thrustmaster T500RS Racing Wheel

PlayStation 3 Wheels
Fanatec Clubsport Pedals
Logitech Driving Force EX
Fanatec Clubsport Wheel
Fanatec CSR Logitech
Driving Force Pro
Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
Logitech G25
Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera
Logitech G27
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel
Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel
Thrustmaster F430
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel
Thrustmaster RGT FF Pro
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel
Thrustmaster T100
Mad Catz MLG Pro Circuit
Thrustmaster T80
Thrustmaster T500 RS Racing Wheel
PlayStation 3 Supported Wheels
Atomic Super Sport
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS2
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S
Fanatec ClubSport (NEW)
Fanatec CSR Elite (NEW)
Logic 3 TopDrive GT
Logic 3 TopDrive RF
Logitech Driving Force
Logitech Driving Force EX/RX
Logitech Driving Force Pro
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 Force Feedback
Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience
Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Pro Clutch
Thrustmaster T500RS Racing Wheel
I meant that they fully supported Logitech wheels, then throughout the updates improved the feedback. Even with wheels older than the DFGT, they were improving FFB. I remember the G27 and G25 weren't fully supported when GT5 launched. I'm not sure if the G25 was ever given full support. The Fanatec wheels were never fully supported, right?

So pCARS on the PS3 doesn't have Logitech wheel support but Riiiiiidge Racerrrrrr 7 does? I have pCARS On pc and the FFB is smooth, but it's horrible when trying to calibrate. With GT, it's seamless. I'm ignorant on what games series calibrate steering wheels the way GT5 and 6 do it. Then there's that "trick" to have 270/540 degrees steering lock for GT5 or GT6. That's a problem that should have been considered when "fully" supporting the Logitech steering wheels, especially for future purposes.

Say the F1 series, does it have that DFGT on-the-spot adjustable settings for that particular wheel for other Logitech wheels? I'm talking about that tcs, brake bias button. God, I can't frickin remember what it's called. Drawing a blank

24-position adjustment dial, that

Is that available for games other than GT or is it exclusively for GT? Things like that always made me think PD were unique considering they added the function to the G27. I can only assume it's available on the G25. I don't know about any other steering wheel, including the Thrustmaster wheels (especially when you take into account that Thrustmaster became the official GT steering wheel.

And did Driveclub add G2x compatibility? I know something, or some developer added official support. I just don't know who or what games on the PS4 support older steering wheels without using that adapter. Debunked is that idea of older wheels not working on current gen consoles. I mean, FM never supported Logitech wheels, so I'm thinking no current gen Xbox game ever will. It's the one reason I won't but FM6 now that I have easy access to an X1.

Anyway, the fact that PD continued to update the FFB of Logitech steering wheels as the updates came rolling in. That's another thing with Kaz; sure, I can agree that games should release "complete", but even with some features in GT5 and 6, some features were updated or added which weren't expected, least of which were updates to the original course maker or surface dryness/wetness adjustability. Should I post links of every "update thread" GT5 had, documented and undocumented changes?

Last edited:
I think it's a mistake to assume GT is what it is, good or bad, solely because of Kaz. Or that any artistic venture clearly produced by a team of people should be attributed to an individual.

B.K
if Kaz retires this would be the best what can happen to the GT Series. He paved the way and everyone is thankfull for that, but its time to make space for a younger guy who's mind isn't in the 90's anymore. Kaz made too much major mistakes since GT4.

This, absolutely. GT has completely lost its way since GT4, there needs to be change. Unless that happens I think GT7 will be last GT in the series.

B.K

Have to say I agree with this completely! Nothing against Kaz, he got the series up and running from nothing, but somewhere along the way it's like he has refused to evolve with market and customer demands. I feel like all the missing things we all wish we had in the GT series would be solved with a younger guy taking the helm.

When Kaz retires the GT games will turn into Drive Club clones, due to Sony's influence. The franchise will continue on name only, but it won't be the same.

I think it won't be a big loss really, because at this point the Forza games are better "Gran Turismo" games than the current Gran Turismos. GT5 and GT6 weren't very good games, and those two were the last 12 years of the GT series.

About the gamepad vs. wheel debate, the main reason why console games will never match PC sims physics is not the input used, but the target audience.

Since racing console games have to be very inclusive (from ages 7 to 77) and also Sony and Microsoft use them as a way to showcase their consoles, they have to focus their efforts, budget and limited processing power of the console on providing the best graphics as possible and hundreds to thousands of cars, which takes the focus away from simulation.

For example, the only way to have a proper simulator is to focus on having one car, or at most one in each racing category (F1, NASCAR, etc.). That's impossible on a console game from this millennium (luckily F355 Challenge was released in 1999 so this example is correct :P). Not only that, all tracks have to be laser scanned, including featuring all the bumps of the circuit and well made elevation changes, but in the GT series only those after Bathurst are (with it included). Reason is that budget went into modelling the stitching in 'premium' cars.

Last edited:
...snip..

About the gamepad vs. wheel debate, the main reason why console games will never match PC sims physics is not the input used, but the target audience.

Since racing console games have to be very inclusive (from ages 7 to 77) and also Sony and Microsoft use them as a way to showcase their consoles, they have to focus their efforts, budget and limited processing power of the console on providing the best graphics as possible and hundreds to thousands of cars, which takes the focus away from simulation.

For example, the only way to have a proper simulator is to focus on having one car, or at most one in each racing category (F1, NASCAR, etc.). That's impossible on a console game from this millennium (luckily F355 Challenge was released in 1999 so this example is correct :P). Not only that, all tracks have to be laser scanned, including featuring all the bumps of the circuit and well made elevation changes, but in the GT series only those after Bathurst are (with it included).
There's no reason why you can't have simulation grade physics in any console game, even one that is supposed to appeal to people from 7 to 77. With SRF, Stability Control, TC, ABS and more available, anyone can drive any car just like they do now.

Latest Posts

Back