What would a good economy look like?

• Thread starter Rudenut
  • 87 comments
Personal preference: Larger payouts in sport mode. It tends to take a lot of effort to put in and improve qualifying time and can't do more than two races per hour (in C for example). Winning it in top split gives you measley 20k credits. Now repeat that 30 times to be able to afford a competitive gr3 car for that week, tune it and hope it works out.

Might also be a nice incentive for people to try out sport mode and do best to do well in it. 200k for a clean win would be a great motivation.
The issue with that is that would be a case of "the rich just get richer". The people that consistently win online races are probably the best of the best drivers. Not even just good, but the best. It would really block like 99.9% of players from getting good rewards

The issue with that is that would be a case of "the rich just get richer". The people that consistently win online races are probably the best of the best drivers. Not even just good, but the best. It would really block like 99.9% of players from getting good rewards
Haha, that might be just a realism Kaz is looking for ;)

In any case, maybe even rewarding a clean race itself in Sport mode is a good start. It would encourage new players to learn clean racing and awareness by offering lucrative payouts.
Aaand it would help publisher overlords too by luring people into getting PS+ if they haven't tried it before. Everybody wins :cheers:

if 'limited stock' did not exist, that would solve about 75% of the economy problems. if the pitiful payouts were improved or you got actual payouts from sport mode, that would be another 25%

even if cars at legendary dealership are costing 18 million right now, and the payouts are as they are, I don't think it would matter nearly as much if there is promise of payouts being increased (as kaz the gormless fool somewhat implied) or potentially having seasonal events which would grant more credits, because then you would kind of gawp at the prices and think "well I'll be able to afford that when payouts improve down the line, then I'd definitely be able to buy it". this is because it would not be limited stock and would always be available. then you'd have the odd person with a lot of free time who could still get them today, which would grant them bragging rights for whatever that's worth

very very importantly however, this is so long as the ridiculously priced cars weren't overpowered in sport mode

Last edited:
It should be like Gran Turismo 4. Where you could get the most expensive cars in 2 hours with B-Spec mode.
Basically. My suggestion is a similar encapsulation. Take the best bits, some amalgamation, of GT4, 5 and 6, with some of the new non-obnoxious DNA from 7, like additional Menu books to cover the pre-2000 cars. Stirred not shaken. ;)

Oh and I forgot, expand the pathetically small Used Car Dealership, and overhaul that bonkers prize ticket thing. GAH...

Last edited:
One where you can buy and sell and let the market determine the price. Would be fun to be able to flip cars for more money. Just like they use in MLB the Show diamond dynasty mode.

Last edited:
Haha, that might be just a realism Kaz is looking for ;)

In any case, maybe even rewarding a clean race itself in Sport mode is a good start. It would encourage new players to learn clean racing and awareness by offering lucrative payouts.
Aaand it would help publisher overlords too by luring people into getting PS+ if they haven't tried it before. Everybody wins :cheers:
Can't wait till Kaz makes me change my battery and drive there old one back to the store to "properly recycle it" and get my deposit back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fix the MTX economics and bring back GTS pricing.
gt mclaren bs price.png

They're only pushing realism on high car prices but ignoring real life car market where you can test drive cars, rent cars, sell cars you own, and get deals on clunkers. That's the fun economy. Why do I want to pay a million Turismo bucks for a car I might end up hating as soon as I hit the track? Why would I want to keep a ****** Prius? Is anyone in real life dropping 100 grand on a 70s Trans Am?

They're only pushing realism on high car prices but ignoring real life car market where you can test drive cars, rent cars, sell cars you own, and get deals on clunkers. That's the fun economy. Why do I want to pay a million Turismo bucks for a car I might end up hating as soon as I hit the track? Why would I want to keep a ******* Prius? Is anyone in real life dropping 100 grand on a 70s Trans Am?
So interestingly, I went and looked at the Trans Am prices. The most expensive that I could find in US was 75k and that was clearly some crazy person trying to shoot for the moon. It was basically 15k more expensive than anything else available. Most comparable cars were 40-60k. 50k seemed like a fair price for a clean Trans Am with low miles. So much for "prices based on real life". That thing was twice as expensive in the game

Daily Races pay 100k for wins.

Liveries pay 1k for likes/downloads.

Career races pay based on license required, like they always have in the past, with IA races paying at least 100k.

Completing one level of career mode should get you enough credits to purchase a required car to participate in the next level of career mode. That's really the only requirement I have. DreamCars that will only be used in side championships or not in career mode I'm fine with having to play a couple hours for. The biggest issue is that there isn't a complete career mode so I won't know what cars I am going to need.

Maybe not an explanation for a good economy per se, but this is the logic I feel would make more sense for the game:

At release, the game has X number of events (races, licences, missions etc). The sum total of coming first/getting gold in all these events adds up to Y credits. The most expensive car in game should be 50% of this total and the credit cap should be 150%. This makes the unicorn cars affordable, and doesn’t leave you with nothing once you’ve purchased one.

So interestingly, I went and looked at the Trans Am prices. The most expensive that I could find in US was 75k and that was clearly some crazy person trying to shoot for the moon. It was basically 15k more expensive than anything else available. Most comparable cars were 40-60k. 50k seemed like a fair price for a clean Trans Am with low miles. So much for "prices based on real life". That thing was twice as expensive in the game
Thanks for researching that. Wonder if any folks making car list spreadsheets are listing real world values. I suspect a lot of low end cars in GT7 are inflated.

At least double the payouts imo for single player events. And massively increase for custom races and sport mode. Get rid of limited stock and invitations.

Last edited:
An economy where players who have completed the career mode can buy and do anything they want, considering they've done everything that was expected of them. Before that, they receive enough to be able to progress to higher events and complete them.

I mean, it's a video game. The player achieves things, you reward them for their achievements. Make the achievements fun, and the rewards proportional to the effort the player put in. It's that simple.

Ofcourse, GT7's little tutorial mode would make a post-completion situation like that ridiculous, but not if there was a proper, long career mode that actually kept the player busy.

Last edited:
Thanks for researching that. Wonder if any folks making car list spreadsheets are listing real world values. I suspect a lot of low end cars in GT7 are inflated.
From what I know, the BMWs definitely are. An E92 M3 is cheap, because the engine is expensive to fix and BMWs aren't exactly collectible.

I'm new to the Gran Turismo games and this was advertised as the perfect game for someone like me: big fan of cars & car history. Was really looking forward to the collecting aspect. But naively thinking it would have collection mechanics of single player hits like Red Dead. The unicorns were attainable if you honed your skills and put in 50 fun hours. A game that's asking a 250 hour investment to 100% the collection is just a drag. Even if there were a hundred different tracks.
Maybe not an explanation for a good economy per se, but this is the logic I feel would make more sense for the game:

At release, the game has X number of events (races, licences, missions etc). The sum total of coming first/getting gold in all these events adds up to Y credits. The most expensive car in game should be 50% of this total and the credit cap should be 150%. This makes the unicorn cars affordable, and doesn’t leave you with nothing once you’ve purchased one.

Yeah the way that I got there, I've been thinking about buying a gen 1 Viper in real life so I've been looking at prices. So when I saw that Trans Am, I was like, BS I can fill my garage with 2x gen 1 Dodge Vipers for what they're asking for the crappy Pontiac. But also as a result, I can tell you that Dodge Vipers don't cost 120-140k either. They're actually fairly affordable in real life.

Last edited:
An economy where players who have completed the career mode can buy and do anything they want, considering they've done everything that was expected of them. Before that, they receive enough to be able to progress to higher events and complete them.

I mean, it's a video game. The player achieves things, you reward them for their achievements. Make the achievements fun, and the rewards proportional to the effort the player put in. It's that simple.

Ofcourse, GT7's little tutorial mode would make a post-completion situation like that ridiculous, but not if there was a proper, long career mode that actually kept the player busy.
100%. Video games are supposed to be fun. They are supposed to be ecsapist and completable in a reasonable timeframe. I can't figure out why this market realism thing is supposed to be a cool hook that keeps me playing. It had exact opposite effect.

Just for reference:

A NSX Type R from 2002 is 500.000 in GT7. When in real life they are just a bit over 100.000.

A Skyline R34 GT-R is 450.000 in GT7. Just like any "top-tier" JDM sports car, it tops out at a bit over 100.000.

A bottle of Nitrous costs 100.000.
You pay 40.000 for race soft tyres.

The best single races on this game gives you 105.000 for over 20 minutes of racing with fuel and tyre wear. You do one of these long-ass races and you barely have enough for tyres, suspension and a turbo. With still more than half the way through to completely have all the parts for you car.

Only thing real of this game is that PD wants for you tu buy credits with MTX. Actually, why do we even call it microtransactions? 15€ for 2 million credits, that's 1/4th of what I paid for the entire game and I still need to buy this 9 more times to get ONE high-end car out of dozens of them.

Last edited:
Just for reference:

A NSX Type R from 2002 is 500.000 in GT7. When in real life they are just a bit over 100.000.

A Skyline R34 GT-R is 450.000 in GT7. Just like any "top-tier" JDM sports car, it tops out at a bit over 100.000.

A bottle of Nitrous costs 100.000.
You pay 40.000 for race soft tyres.

The best single races on this game gives you 105.000 for over 20 minutes of racing with fuel and tyre wear. You do one of these long-ass races and you barely have enough for tyres, suspension and a turbo. With still more than half the way through to completely have all the parts for you car.

Only thing real of this game is that PD wants for you tu buy credits with MTX. Actually, why do we even call it microtransactions? 15€ for 2 million credits, that's 1/4th of what I paid for the entire game and I still need to buy this 9 more times to get ONE high-end car out of dozens of them.
It is based on current value.

It should take at least 2 hours of grind to get the most expensive car, like in Gran Turismo 4. Anything above 5 hours is too much.

Here are some ideas for improving GT7 economy:

• Daily login bonus
  • Sell cars
  • Seasonal events with performance bonus
  • Higher credits prize per victory Sport mode
  • Sponsorship system: When you win a lot of races in single player mode, fictional sponsors will appear to help you get promoted to higher classes. They would pay out up to 100K each day, depending on how far along you are in the game.
  • Entering 2 cars per race: If you have a duplicate car, you can enter it to increase your chances of winning a race while also getting extra money if your AI teammate gets a podium finish.

Last edited:
It is based on current value.

... Oh, this is the limited 140 unit model? I take back what I said about "unrealistic" prices of cars then.

Repost from another thread on the subject.

How much credits is enough?

Some think that everything should be available after completing the menu so credits wouldn't matter at all, the game would die a horrible death if it was designed that way since most players want a purpose when the spend time playing.

If the goal of credits is to buy the most expensive cars within a few hours of playing, then the payouts would have to be in the millions pr event. And with that kind of money players would be able to buy everything in the game except the most expensive cars with a few days of playtime. Even if it was supposed to be possible to get a unicorn within weeks the same would apply, everything else would be so easy to get it would be almost like getting a buffet of "stuff".

Imho and as i have suggested before, the game needs a modern gaming loop with daily and weekly challenges and rewards.

Daily challenge:
For example, complete 5 laps on spa with provided car in under 12 minutes and pick between cars/spare parts/money in suitable class/amounts. Or complete 20 laps on spa with tire wear and fuel usage and earn more.

Weekly challenge (examples) complete all of the following:
Set a Qualifying lap earning at least bronze on these 10 circuits with the following car.
Complete the WTC 700 in the special provided car.
5 laps at spa in the rain with the slowest lap not being over 2:20:00 in a special provided car
4 laps are the N24, night race in a provided P400 car, place among the best 3 and do not lap slower than 8:20:00

Get a gift card for any car up to 4 million or 2 million in credit or any spare part of your choice.

And the wheel of misfortune needs to go to hell, it's the most stupid game mechanic ever invented and it makes no sense whatsoever, it's just a frustration catalyst. The card should just show the reward and it must always be "worth it".

Daily Login Bonus - Get a roulette spin just for playing each day.

Daily Login & Daily Workout Streaks - Instead of totally random grade tickets, get higher grade tickets the longer you maintain a login and/or workout streak.

Raise the reward floor of roulette spins, especially for higher grade tickets. I disagree with the idea that it should always be a car, but getting chump change feels rather insulting.

Boost payout of custom races based on highest obtained license and collector level

Nominal payout of 100 credits per mile driven regardless of what you’re doing

Last edited:
Make the Daily Workout roulette ticket always be a car like in GT Sport.
Allow the ability to sell cars for credits.
my biggest problem with the game is unability to sell cars, thats one aspect from reality that is cool, you get money for a car dont want to use anymore, for a company that invested in "real experiences" they surely are missing the ones that make the players a profit..

Personal preference: Larger payouts in sport mode. It tends to take a lot of effort to put in and improve qualifying time and can't do more than two races per hour (in C for example). Winning it in top split gives you measley 20k credits. Now repeat that 30 times to be able to afford a competitive gr3 car for that week, tune it and hope it works out.

Might also be a nice incentive for people to try out sport mode and do best to do well in it. 200k for a clean win would be a great motivation.
I agree with this. Online races are way more difficult to win than single player for most people. The payouts were a joke in Sport (ironic, given that it's a multiplayer focused game), and they aren't any better in 7.

Latest Posts

Back