What would you like to see on the livery editor on GT7?

India
India
AfraidRacer
AfraidRacer17
I'd like to do a video on what we all would like to see for the livery editor in GT7, what would you guys like the most?
For me:
-ability to group decals
-moving the sport mode numberplate
-text editor with fonts
-'simple' editor as an option(like f1, pc3)

Please let me know by what username I should credit you!

Good suggestions there. PD take note!

For me I would like:
- Ability to use the PSVR motion sensor to move decals around. My biggest barrier to using the livery editor is I find using the twin sticks very cumbersome. I'm sure people who spend a lot of time designing liveries gets used to it, but being able to actually use your hands would be a lot more intuitive and quicker.
- More colour options for decals (e.g. currently if you want a chrome decal, you have to paint the whole body and then cover up areas outside the decal)
- Ability to "remix" other people's liveries. So many times I found a good livery, but the rim choice/colours are not to my liking. Of course, the original author should also be credited if you upload your "remix" version.
- Offline storage for liveries. We still don't know if we can keep liveries in GTS once the servers go down :nervous:

Rearrange the standard liveries.

Change the colours of the standard liveries

Tyre branding

Keep the tyre branding of the standard livery

Use of the window decals

Keep the window decals of the standard liveries

Removal of number plates

Headlight film for ALL cars(separate from headlight covers, that could be available from the tuning parts or GTAuto)

Some of the centrelines on models like the autech GTR and Alfa TZ2 dont line up to the centre of the car. I'd like that fixed.

Otherwise would looks to be able to favourite selected colours so i dont have to open up liveries with favoured colours before creating new ones with matching schemes.

Otherwise, being able to rotate decals 90 degrees and to have the coordinates displayed.

Lastly theres too many nonsensical wheel limitations. For instance, the best looking All American racing wheels can't be fitted to the Shelby 350R. Madness.

Last edited:
Like mentioned above, the coordinates would be most appreciated, along with the angle of decal.

Also:

- scalable grid layout with option for either lengthwise centerline or center blockline.

- flatplane 2d layout of the car exterior like in the Viper Racing pc game, maybe with both the front bumber and rear end being connected to the end of the car body instead of being separate like in the pic below.

201246-viper-racing-windows-screenshot-the-paint-kit-allows-to-customize.jpg

- option to choose half a car to add decals on, be it left side or right side and then the option to flip/mirror all decals to the other side at once.

- better lighting in the editor. currently the lower areas of the cars get too shadowed to see what you are doing, no matter what the ambient light setting is.

- the camera/cursor needs to go further downwards when choosing placement dictated by camera.

- get rid of the different sections we currently have: i.e body, hood mirrors, etc... Give us a grayscale mockup of the3d body with free reign to place decals as we wish.

- better quality premade decals from PD. some decals get fuzzy/jagged edges if made too small/big, or are of poor quality in general.

- more accurate/different color scale(s) then the HSV. RGB, hex etc.

- if we buy the car, we get the paintchip from it like in the GT6.

- more rims like mentioned above.

- a simple lightbar with simple flashpattern, ( or the M4 lightbar since they've already re-used it on the Megane safety car ) available in all white, white/amber, all amber, amber/green, all blue, blue/white, red, red/blue and red/white led colours. can be put to almost any car bar race cars or certain VGT/concept cars.

Comes with the option to turn the lights on/off while driving. Requires you to assign a separate button for the function. Works like the hazard lights on all cars.

Last edited:
  • The ability to move the sport mode number boards. Even if it's a choice of a couple different placement options.
  • Editable shared liveries. Mostly for league racing with livery requirements. That way, organisers can share a "base" livery with mandatory decals, and people can just edit to create their race livery.
  • More accurate colour scale. HSV is fine. But, give us the full 360 point scale.
  • Ability to paint wheels different colours. Even if it's just a left/right, or front/back split.

I think what could be neat is a potential skin system, where you can obtain pre-made liveries from the game itself (vs. downloading them from other users) such as various prototype or testing liveries, such as for the A90 Supra. Another idea for these skins would be various liveries used by the AI in the campaign.

I also would be interested in a "simple" mode where there are pre-set places for certain decals, almost like the livery editor in NFS Most Wanted 2005.

Some of my ideas. I few things may have already been mentioned. ;)
  • Make the saved decals searchable, and/or re-orderable. Having to scroll through up to 1000 decals is a pita.
  • Possibly the ability to save found decals to users own machines so that they don't disappear should the original decal be deleted from the PD network. That has already started to happen to me as people stop using GT Sport.
  • The ability to group decals together to move as one.
  • The ability to copy decals (or a group of decals) from side to front, rear to front, basically from any view to any other view, rather than only from one side to the other. This would be particularly useful because of the lack of decal search / organisation options mentioned earlier.
  • An option to move a complete design to another car. The decals would not match up obviously, but then it would copy everything, and just need to be moved and adjusted to the different car rather than starting from scratch.
  • To be able to put a stroke (outline) of variable width and colour around decals could negate the need to have multiple duplicated decals below a main decal, moved slightly to get the same effect.
  • Similar to the above, the ability to add a drop shadow to a decal could negate the need for multiple layers to get the same effect.
  • The option to paint objects with the custom colours, including the chrome/metallic 'colours'.
  • More control over the depth of decals, as some can show through highly curved spoilers from reverse for example. It is sometimes hard to stop the decal showing behind some bodywork that is away from the main body of the car.
  • I understand deals and branding, but it would be nice to have plain helmets and race suits with no logos on.
  • More control over where decals can be placed on race suits.
  • When searching for decals, make it quicker to find stuff, rather than having to go through page after page, most times with no results for many pages, just to find something. Just show me a big list of the stuff related to what I am searching for. Surely it should be easier to search a database.
  • As well as all that, they should fix some cars on which the decals don't work the same as on most other cars.
How easy some of these things are to implement, only a developer could say.

The Livery Editor was a great addition to the game for me, and with the lack of a proper offline mode, is what I have used the most in GT Sport.

The most important feature though, as I have been the victim of a corrupted save game, and lost the ability to re-edit a lot of stuff I had spent many hours creating, is having my data, my liveries, whatever, saved on my system. It would not only give a local backup of all I create, but would also allow me to edit when the network is down, or I have no internet connection for whatever reason. But the main thing would be if the data on the PD servers gets somehow corrupted, there is a copy somewhere.

Having lost a lot of stuff, I’m not as enthusiastic in creating lots of things when the data is so vulnerable to the one weak (connection) link in the chain.

I hope there are improvements though, as there has not been any big improvements to the Livery Editor in GT Sport since the game was released.

Decal grouping, the ability to move Sport numberplates, but one feature I'd love to see is some form of livery template system that you can edit on a PC, like in iRacing for example. Let's say you would go to the GT community website, download a template, edit it on your PC with the photo editing tool of your choice, and when you're done you upload it to the game, in a similar style to today's decal uploader.

Also PD pls don't butcher livery texture resolution in lobbies pls

Decal grouping, the ability to move Sport numberplates, but one feature I'd love to see is some form of livery template system that you can edit on a PC, like in iRacing for example. Let's say you would go to the GT community website, download a template, edit it on your PC with the photo editing tool of your choice, and when you're done you upload it to the game, in a similar style to today's decal uploader.
I like the idea of that, as I would definitely have more control editing on my PC being more adept with mouse and keyboard from using Photoshop for many years, but I can see a problem, in that PD could have no control over what went onto a cars livery, whereas now they in theory assess decals for inappropriate content, doing that for a whole design could be very difficult and time consuming. Hopefully I am wrong though.

I like the idea of that, as I would definitely have more control editing on my PC being more adept with mouse and keyboard from using Photoshop for many years, but I can see a problem, in that PD could have no control over what went onto a cars livery, whereas now they in theory assess decals for inappropriate content, doing that for a whole design could be very difficult and time consuming. Hopefully I am wrong though.
Maybe scan the whole texture when you upload it?

- I want to be able to put decals on the windows
- I want to be able to change the color or add decals to a car that already has a livery, without the original decals getting removed
- I want better shades of yellow.
These^^

- Chrome/special colored decals
- Ability to keep original tires on some cars
-Tire decals for all cars including more additions such as white walls
- Aftermarket bumpers/spoilers

Maybe scan the whole texture when you upload it?
The problem for PD would be the job of checking each detail on a whole uploaded livery design, some aspects of which could be very small, and difficult to see. Even a small decal could open full screen to check.

It's hard to know what will be determined as "livery editor" and what will be in the tuning section. I would like the option to be able to turn any new car from the dealership into essentially a Gr.4 car, but I think that's another topic.

The biggest thing for me as others mentioned is get rid of the arbitrary roadblocks.. Let all cars have tire decals, all cars have tinted lights, all wheels etc.
Other than that, grouping/merging, additional sticker textures (chrome, metallic etc.), and more shapes - esp.. more gradual curves.

Bonus: Again, probably more appropriate for tuning but tire width and wheel offset are underrated. Honestly pulls me out of immersion when you throw on racing suspension on a vintage or small car and you go racing with skinny bicycle tires.

It's hard to know what will be determined as "livery editor" and what will be in the tuning section. I would like the option to be able to turn any new car from the dealership into essentially a Gr.4 car, but I think that's another topic.

The biggest thing for me as others mentioned is get rid of the arbitrary roadblocks.. Let all cars have tire decals, all cars have tinted lights, all wheels etc.
Other than that, grouping/merging, additional sticker textures (chrome, metallic etc.), and more shapes - esp.. more gradual curves.

Bonus: Again, probably more appropriate for tuning but tire width and wheel offset are underrated. Honestly pulls me out of immersion when you throw on racing suspension on a vintage or small car and you go racing with skinny bicycle tires.
That has been done in earlier GTs for nearly every car.

Livery editor are for cosmetics, tuning section is for performance.

That has been done in earlier GTs for nearly every car.

Livery editor are for cosmetics, tuning section is for performance.

Yes I've played all the games extensively.

Wheels are partly for performance IRL, yet they are included into the livery editor on sport. I should have clarified I'm questioning how and where Gran Turismo will place these things. Not where I think they will go. I think the livery editor should purely refer to paint and decals, for the record.

The Livery Editor would be the stickers and the paint, and the Tuning would include bits under the body, and bits added to the body, wings, spoilers, skirts etc. Whether they give the option for either, or both, combine or keep separate, time will tell.

The Livery Editor would be the stickers and the paint, and the Tuning would include bits under the body, and bits added to the body, wings, spoilers, skirts etc. Whether they give the option for either, or both, combine or keep separate, time will tell.
In theory yes, like I said above I agree with what it should be.

However in history, (GT4 + 5,6) The things I have bolded were not included into tuning (even if they should be.) Also, as I said before wheels - which are in fact a performance part as they offer lightness and strength are literally in the "Livery Editor."

I was questioning what Gran Turismo themselves were considering things that went into the livery editor were. Personally I'd like everything be merged into "GT Auto" for nostalgia sake.

In theory yes, like I said above I agree with what it should be.

However in history, (GT4 + 5,6) The things I have bolded were not included into tuning (even if they should be.) Also, as I said before wheels - which are in fact a performance part as they offer lightness and strength are literally in the "Livery Editor."

I was questioning what Gran Turismo themselves were considering things that went into the livery editor were. Personally I'd like everything be merged into "GT Auto" for nostalgia sake.
I can't remember, did changing the wheels in previous GT games alter their weight, or the weight of the car in any way? :confused: If weight and 'stiffness' (not sure how they would model that) are no part of the 'simulation', then they are purely cosmetic, and so should be in a livery section. Same with aero parts, wings, spoilers, etc, if they are not modelled to alter performance, then they are just for looks. And thinking about wheels, did changing the wheel sizes alter gear ratios, because again, if it is not modelled, it is cosmetic, and so shouldn't be in a tuning section.

I can't remember, did changing the wheels in previous GT games alter their weight, or the weight of the car in any way? :confused: If weight and 'stiffness' (not sure how they would model that) are no part of the 'simulation', then they are purely cosmetic, and so should be in a livery section. Same with aero parts, wings, spoilers, etc, if they are not modelled to alter performance, then they are just for looks. And thinking about wheels, did changing the wheel sizes alter gear ratios, because again, if it is not modelled, it is cosmetic, and so shouldn't be in a tuning section.

I really don’t want to go down the rabbit hole with this. Maybe direct this input at Polyphony instead of me.

I really don’t want to go down the rabbit hole with this. Maybe direct this input at Polyphony instead of me.
Just thinking out aloud, and not specifically directed at you, unless you knew any relevant details. ;)

If changing parts does not alter the physics modelling of the car, but changes the look or design, then, imho, it should be in a livery editor. If changing something alters the look, but also the physics model, to hopefully go faster, ;) then that should be in a tuning section. If they merge the two together, then hopefully they would differentiate in some way what actually helps with the racing. ;)

Though if you put 'go faster stripes' on a car... ;) :lol:

Not at all graphically inclined. Maybe a lack of practice on Illustrator, but getting a SVG file to work has not been a strong suite. Is there a way they could make uploads a bit more easy?

But maybe the ability to customize the windshield banner? Maybe the ability to copy and paste entire liveries from one car model to another? Maybe I like my livery on GT500 Lexus, but for FIA races I want the same livery on my Gr. 3 Lexus?

Rearrange the standard liveries.

Change the colours of the standard liveries

Tyre branding

Keep the tyre branding of the standard livery

Use of the window decals

Keep the window decals of the standard liveries

Removal of number plates

Headlight film for ALL cars(separate from headlight covers, that could be available from the tuning parts or GTAuto)

On top of this, I want custom window decals and number plates, the ability to use mattes/chromes/whatever other paint chips on the decals, and the ability to make "composite" decals (grouping decals together as a single object) along with maybe a way to draw our own generic shapes. These are just examples, I'm sure other people have thought of good additions too. There's a lot of extra features that they could add to the livery editor, though it's not like it's bad right now.

Just thinking out aloud, and not specifically directed at you, unless you knew any relevant details. ;)

If changing parts does not alter the physics modelling of the car, but changes the look or design, then, imho, it should be in a livery editor. If changing something alters the look, but also the physics model, to hopefully go faster, ;) then that should be in a tuning section. If they merge the two together, then hopefully they would differentiate in some way what actually helps with the racing. ;)

Though if you put 'go faster stripes' on a car... ;) :lol:

I think each sticker should be at least 5 performance points haha.

Jk, but I do think a good work around for the visual/tuning thing would show a model of your car updated in real time as you add parts. And then the livery can be a separate section.

Last edited:
Back