What would you recommend as the best car to start drifting with?

• Thread starter Rogue8
  • 303 comments
When i put asm(understeer)to 20 i dont udersteer, it helps the car to start a drift alot easier.thats why i said N3 tires at the front, so the rear, i said N1, that means the car will keep drifting. PLEASE give it a try.:) Also try it for FR's thats how I drift.:cool:

Do you drift FR's with aids?

Do you drift FR's with aids?

Yeah I do, it takes alot less skill to start a drift that way. with ASM(Undeersteer) at 20.

Sometimes even with TCS, I tune my nitrous to full power and use it at the whole curve,but without ASM. Thats why I put a thread about which is the "best way to start a drift" so that I could find an easier way, cause there are alot of easy ways with the way I drift.

Yeah I do, it takes alot less skill to start a drift that way. with ASM(Undeersteer) at 20.

Sometimes even with TCS, I tune my nitrous to full power and use it at the whole curve,but without ASM. Thats why I put a thread about which is the "best way to start a drift" so that I could find an easier way, cause there are alot of easy ways with the way I drift.

Sure its easier but you're not really building any skill. Even if you drift like that for years, as soon as you take the aids off you won't be able to drift at all.

Sure its easier but you're not really building any skill. Even if you drift like that for years, as soon as you take the aids off you won't be able to drift at all.

I know...... I'm just too lazy, at least I drift as good as the others with out driving aids. I'll try though, I'll tell you later.

My s14 is the best for me, not too light so its quite predictable, but can be a little tricky when things get bumpy. Especially on trial mountain. It just loves going sideways.

you should give the holden monaro a go...

as seen in top gear it is a great car for drifting...

...i didnt belive it at first but then i tried it out stock with road tires at the nurnburgring and i have to tell you it is one of the most drivable car in the game...

...although its not one of the fastest 8:30+ on the 'ring...

Last edited:
its not as good as in real life, which is a shame, but with quite alot of camber i got some decent power sliding going. Dont even think about touching the handbrake with the monaro :scared:

When I started trying to drift, I used an older 240SX, but then I switched to the RX-7. If you put every part available on it except for the last weight reduction parts, a spoiler, and nice rims on it, you will be completely set. I am still working on tuning it b/c it's still kinda a work in progress, but it still drifts well.The 1998 Mazda RX-7 RS is the best RX-7 to use. Once you put everything on it, it should have, like, 600 HP. Before you race, go to the tune area and set the factors like this:
Brake=10/10
Spring rate=4.8/4.8
Ride Height=100/100-110/110
Shock bound=6/6-8/8
Camber=3/3.2-3.5
Toe=2/2
Stabilizers=3/3
Transmission=set all to the far left(all the way)
Final=3
Auto=12(set this first)
ASM Over=2-5
ASM Under=20
TCS=0-4
Limited Slip=LEAVE THIS ALONE!!!!!!!
Weight dist=35
You're gonna need a little over 250,000 credits, but it's definitely worth it. If I find any better settings, I'll post 'em.
PEACE!!!!!

I started with the Sprinter Trueno (pic <---)
Reasons were Im a Initial D fan and It was my first car in every GT to date.

Overall its a great drift car. Does a 1'31 at Trail Mountain while drifting. I have a video on the Drift videos GT4 section.

The car is my favourite 👍

The Rx-7 Type Rz has a lot of horsepower, so it isn't an easy one to drift with...(She's breaks out on the rear easily).
I would say, when you've got the cash, take a BMW M3 CSL or BMW 330i (both ar steady drifters, but the M3 has a bit more hp)

Toyota Minolta 88C-V '89 max bhp tune
, minimum down force front and max down forse at rear
= damn fun at High Speed Ring.
suspension set to bound but not rebound back tires toe -3
tyres super softs. Good for learning how to take the curves apex right.

other one to mention RUF or DeLorean for example: rear engine rear wheel drive (RR)
= most stable and good way to learn controlling the drift direction.

From those two mentioned above is guite easy to switch to ~300 bhp FR cars.
You allways need to adjust the suspension to make the car work as you want to and to make it fit your skill level.

hey im new to this......can you give me any drift challenges like to drift a particular part of a track........i find them fun! (sorry bout the sloppy writing, im on my psp)

Well, it's best to start out in a lower powered car, then work your way up to more powerful ones. The Suzuki Cappuccino is always a good place to start. Low power, and easy to get sideways. Just turn off all the driving aids and shove on some N1/2 tyres. You can tune it, so the power can be upped from 63bhp (I think that is standard) and take it to 150+ (I think, I am not sure). It's easy to control, and a great laugh. It's worth buying, honestly. You don't even need to change the gearbox or suspension, but if you want to, then go ahead.

I started out with a Lotus Elise in GT3. It wouldn't spin out if you ripped the E-brake!

I would suggest the Toyota MR2 G-Limited SW20 and Suzuki Cappuccino.., reasons??

1) Initial D fanboy, I have an IC Card for those in IDAS 4 and a corresponding setup for GT4.., :D 👍👍

2) MR2 = coolest Japanese car IMO, Cappuccino = cutest Japanese car IMO.., ;)

Last edited:
call me crazy, but if you tune the Dodge Viper GTS just right (lv1 engine mod, every other mod except limited slip, and close transmission, with super hard racing tires) it is a very fun, and pretty easy car to drift!

Hey guys, I started with an Isuzu Piazza XE, I`ve tuned the car to the limited, I think it has got 280 or 290 hp. I`ve learned drifting at the gynkana curse at the driving park. For the guys who are learning drifting at GT4, don´t worry, nobody of us drift without making mistakes, we are all learning like nk4e said. You need more than 1 day to drift well

Greets TNT_Rob

i use a lancer GSR EX (RWD) its a beast it has a cordia turbo motor mounted n/s...i wouldnt start with a rotary because you need to learn with torque not linear horsepower. torque=drift. there is something really wrong with the physics in this game for drift. its the thing that stops you from doing donuts. i have pro drift mates here who cant drift on gt4.
i can though.

dont start in something easy. and make sure its FR.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a lancer GSR EX (RWD) its a beast it has a cordia turbo motor mounted n/s...i wouldnt start with a rotary because you need to learn with torque not linear horsepower. torque=drift. there is something really wrong with the physics in this game for drift. its the thing that stops you from doing donuts. i have pro drift mates here who cant drift on gt4.
i can though.

dont start in something easy. and make sure its FR.

that's one of the many complaints in GT4, the physics complaint..,

If you want to start drifting, I suggest you use a car that likes to slide, or a car with a high center of gravity (Toyota MR2, Proto Motors Spirra, Suzuki Cappuccino, etc.)

i started with a renault clio sport v6 phase 2 because when i first drove it i noticed that if i took a corner at the right speed the back slipped out, i just experimented and wallah! i just have to countersteer to drift, coz the drift is automatic due to the way that even turning a simple corner slides the back out!!! lol :dopey::dopey::dopey:

Latest Posts

Back