Whatever Happened To the Route X Variation?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by KinLM, Dec 7, 2018.

1. KinLM

KinLM

I understand that GT Sport is very eSports centered; that it isn’t really a ‘normal’ GT game.

For that reason, I guess it makes sense that we’ve lost circuits which aren’t great for that kind of racing, such as RouteX.

However, I cannot let this one thing go. Because it made me so curious, so intrigued, and so amazed that PD could have such lunacy, that I feel as though it’s lack of inclusion in any GT game is a massive shame and missed opportunity to bring back something which would rival the classic “crazy” tracks of old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

901DA70C-16A6-4CA6-AA4C-BD4443C27C0B.jpeg
    5B998635-F087-4EB3-BD6E-DF88320B574F.jpeg

Will we ever see it’s inclusion, perhaps with a return of Route X? Or will this track (which further photos seem to confirm that it has been modeled in great detail throughout) be left to our imagination forever?

2. banckzy

banckzy

I have never seen that before as I never played the gran turismo that had that track but looking at it, I’d say it looks like something that would be better suited to wipeout.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    JSHuiting, 2clicks, GBalao888 and 4 others like this.
  3. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Staff Emeritus

The death of intentionally vague thread titles?

alp, Lebowski and usmaan like this.
  4. KinLM

KinLM

My apologies. It has been amended.

5. Slapped

Slapped Premium

Speaking as an experienced WipEout veteran then yeah I'd be totally up for that track. However in GT not so much.

2clicks, GBalao888 and usmaan like this.
  6. StealthVel

StealthVel

I saw a post about this from a while back on GTPlanet earlier today, and now this is posted? :eek:
    I never knew about this track layout, looks quite cool. Has it ever been mentioned by Polyphony or shown in any trailers?

usmaan likes this.
  7. usmaan

usmaan

What game was that I'm, never seen it before

8. Hoopzah

Hoopzah

It was in GT5.. I bought it.
    Useless now lol

Edit: I bought "special stage route x" as some DLC pack that was available. Not to be confused with the route X variation posted above.. I obviously confused the two :p

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    usmaan likes this.
  9. Famine

Famine Administrator

No, it wasn't.

GTR365, Marc30599 and KinLM like this.
  10. Hoopzah

Hoopzah

Correct

KinLM likes this.
  11. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

It looks as though PD shelved the idea ages ago, which is a shame because the experience would've been incredible!

12. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

I'm not shooting for the moon... Route 7 would be fine with me.

13. XSquareStickIt

XSquareStickIt

I can't really answer that question, and I doubt anyone other than PD themselves and Kaz can. What I want to know is...

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS I WANT THIS IN MY GAME

Could you please link us to where you found these screenshots? Would be much appreciated, thanks!

dppllggr, KinLM and SecretAgentZero like this.
  14. G.T.Ace

G.T.Ace

Wasn't it possible to spot these locations through glitches?
    I might remember wrong though...

KinLM likes this.
  15. elston87

elston87 Premium

This would be more appropriate for the Gran Turismo 5 or 6 boards. In any case, it's not playable. The course data is removed in GT6, but leftovers of the course's assets remain. It's unknown whether or not the data is in GT5 still. I've heard rumors floating about that the geometry of this layout can be seen by breaking out of Special Stage Route X at a particular spot, but it has no collision; said people who've posted said rumor have not provided any proof, though.

The course itself was seen throughout several promo videos, though, with the most notable one being the Acura NSX Concept video:

SDSPOWER01, ProjectF, usmaan and 7 others like this.
  16. 05XR8

05XR8

Could be useful for the Tomahawk and Red Bull cars. As an FIA venue, which other cars could be used without hitting the fuel cut in 1,000 meters?

Baliwa and usmaan like this.
  17. Pedinhuh

Pedinhuh

Damn, I never knew this was a thing! That tunnel looks ****ing rad!

18. Auditore

Auditore

WHAT IN TARNATION?Only a madman could create a track like this for a racing simulator.

[​IMG]

19. Huks

Huks Premium

It was probably cut because GT's physics engine has never been very good at handling cars going airborne and going past a certain roll angle. Remember GT4 and the older games, where it was impossible to get your car to roll beyond an angle of about 30 degrees? GT5 got rid of this restriction but rolled cars would behave very strangely, and GT Sport isn't much better based on the videos I've seen.

20. Auditore

Auditore

I think most Simracers have a problem with this,probably because the simulation has some limits and the car getting off the ground is not part of the equation,so everything goes nuts.

KinLM likes this.
  21. XSquareStickIt

XSquareStickIt

Oh gosh that Acura concept video got me clamouring for Grand Valley and Seattle aga- *cough*

Would've been sick to see if F1 cars could indeed drive upside down with their insane downforce huh?

22. simsimsheree

simsimsheree

Which didn't stop PD wasting vast resources and time on a stupid Moon Rover event. Sometimes, everything going nuts is fun!

GTR365, JayRS200 and KinLM like this.
  23. Quakebass

Quakebass

It may have been scrapped because the engine in GT5/6 wasn't made to handle surfaces beyond 90º. If you had a chance to try some of the goofy modded tracks in GT6's course maker, things got weird with friction and contact simulation when you one past those limits.

It seems like PD wanted to use it as a an extreme testing ground (much like the standard Route X was for ultimate top speed tests), but expanding to high-G and aero testing (hence the 360º pipe sections). Who knows if it'll ever see the light of day in a later iteration of GT.

Sander 001 and KinLM like this.
  24. Sander 001

Sander 001

Would be really cool to have this but two hurdles:

1. The physics engine is definitely not up to task

2. The FIA license may not sanction

usmaan likes this.
  25. Auditore

Auditore

It would be a fun conversation with the FIA guys at least.

"So we want to put a tunnel in the game that let's you do loops"-Kaz

"You wot m8?"-F.I.A

26. Draggon

Draggon

I swear I've driven that course in GT6. I don't remember how, perhaps someone made it with the modified course maker.

27. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

28. GBalao888

GBalao888

Now that Route X is back in the 1.32 update, I wonder if Polyphony could reconsider this layout again in the future...

29. elston87

elston87 Premium

What a surprise that Special Stage Route X is making a comeback for Gran Turismo Sport. If anything, this has got to be the biggest source of fuel for wild-running imaginations, because the trailer displayed a shot that overviewed the cant section for the unused layout. Whether or not it's playable, Polyphony Digital modeled out that section once again. With GT Sport's increased depth for its Photo Mode, perhaps we can get a closer look at the break points in the oval that separate the two layouts...maybe.

Can you imagine...?

[​IMG]

Taegon Lewis, KinLM and silverman_GT like this.
  30. MMX

MMX Premium

With the addition of this track, there's new hope that this inner part will finally be driveable. It looks like it would be so much fun.

KinLM and Pigems like this.