Whatever Happened To the Route X Variation?

• Thread starter KinLM
  • 35 comments
United States
Azle, Texas, USA
GTP_KinLM
KinLM
I understand that GT Sport is very eSports centered; that it isn’t really a ‘normal’ GT game.

For that reason, I guess it makes sense that we’ve lost circuits which aren’t great for that kind of racing, such as RouteX.

However, I cannot let this one thing go. Because it made me so curious, so intrigued, and so amazed that PD could have such lunacy, that I feel as though it’s lack of inclusion in any GT game is a massive shame and missed opportunity to bring back something which would rival the classic “crazy” tracks of old.

routex.img32sai.jpg

routex.imghau3o.jpg

901DA70C-16A6-4CA6-AA4C-BD4443C27C0B.jpeg

5B998635-F087-4EB3-BD6E-DF88320B574F.jpeg

Will we ever see it’s inclusion, perhaps with a return of Route X? Or will this track (which further photos seem to confirm that it has been modeled in great detail throughout) be left to our imagination forever?

I saw a post about this from a while back on GTPlanet earlier today, and now this is posted? :eek:
I never knew about this track layout, looks quite cool. Has it ever been mentioned by Polyphony or shown in any trailers?

It was in GT5.. I bought it.
Useless now lol

Edit: I bought "special stage route x" as some DLC pack that was available. Not to be confused with the route X variation posted above.. I obviously confused the two :P

Last edited:
I can't really answer that question, and I doubt anyone other than PD themselves and Kaz can. What I want to know is...

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS I WANT THIS IN MY GAME

Could you please link us to where you found these screenshots? Would be much appreciated, thanks!

This would be more appropriate for the Gran Turismo 5 or 6 boards. In any case, it's not playable. The course data is removed in GT6, but leftovers of the course's assets remain. It's unknown whether or not the data is in GT5 still. I've heard rumors floating about that the geometry of this layout can be seen by breaking out of Special Stage Route X at a particular spot, but it has no collision; said people who've posted said rumor have not provided any proof, though.

The course itself was seen throughout several promo videos, though, with the most notable one being the Acura NSX Concept video:

It was probably cut because GT's physics engine has never been very good at handling cars going airborne and going past a certain roll angle. Remember GT4 and the older games, where it was impossible to get your car to roll beyond an angle of about 30 degrees? GT5 got rid of this restriction but rolled cars would behave very strangely, and GT Sport isn't much better based on the videos I've seen.

It was probably cut because GT's physics engine has never been very good at handling cars going airborne and going past a certain roll angle.

I think most Simracers have a problem with this,probably because the simulation has some limits and the car getting off the ground is not part of the equation,so everything goes nuts.

Oh gosh that Acura concept video got me clamouring for Grand Valley and Seattle aga- *cough*

WHAT IN TARNATION?Only a madman could create a track like this for a racing simulator.

routex.imghau3o.jpg

Would've been sick to see if F1 cars could indeed drive upside down with their insane downforce huh?

It may have been scrapped because the engine in GT5/6 wasn't made to handle surfaces beyond 90º. If you had a chance to try some of the goofy modded tracks in GT6's course maker, things got weird with friction and contact simulation when you one past those limits.

It seems like PD wanted to use it as a an extreme testing ground (much like the standard Route X was for ultimate top speed tests), but expanding to high-G and aero testing (hence the 360º pipe sections). Who knows if it'll ever see the light of day in a later iteration of GT.

I swear I've driven that course in GT6. I don't remember how, perhaps someone made it with the modified course maker.

What a surprise that Special Stage Route X is making a comeback for Gran Turismo Sport. If anything, this has got to be the biggest source of fuel for wild-running imaginations, because the trailer displayed a shot that overviewed the cant section for the unused layout. Whether or not it's playable, Polyphony Digital modeled out that section once again. With GT Sport's increased depth for its Photo Mode, perhaps we can get a closer look at the break points in the oval that separate the two layouts...maybe.

Can you imagine...?

GT6_CRS_LOADING_BG_ROUTEX.png

Latest Posts

Back