Whats the final word on the physics??

United States
United States
Hey guys, I am mulling over the idea of buying an Xbox1 for Forza 6, ive looked at plenty of Youtube videos and Forza's physics model just doesnt seem right AT ALL.

The cars appear to be so unstable, always oversteering! Even at low speeds car just dont seem to grip around a corner.

I watched a video of a Ghurka (the fast and furious truck the rock drives) and it constantly oversteer and slide thru corners as if it were a drift car....that video really destroyed my enthusiasm for Forza.

Can a non-fanboy, sim racer, please review the physics. I really dont know what to do....everywhere I go I hear the physics are excellent however in videos they look anything BUT excellent.

What the hell is the final say on it?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. ive been playing GT6 for 2 years now and the physics engine in that game is GREAT. The cars drive exactly how id imagine them to drive...an older NSX tends to suffer for some oversteer while the newer NSX does not. GT6 seems to have done this right, while Forza is perfectly ok with making everything oversteer, even a 6 ton truck.

Hey guys, I am mulling over the idea of buying an Xbox1 for Forza 6, ive looked at plenty of Youtube videos and Forza's physics model just doesnt seem right AT ALL.

The cars appear to be so unstable, always oversteering! Even at low speeds car just dont seem to grip around a corner.

I watched a video of a Ghurka (the fast and furious truck the rock drives) and it constantly oversteer and slide thru corners as if it were a drift car....that video really destroyed my enthusiasm for Forza.

Can a non-fanboy, sim racer, please review the physics. I really dont know what to do....everywhere I go I hear the physics are excellent however in videos they look anything BUT excellent.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. ive been playing GT6 for 2 years now and the physics engine in that game is GREAT. The cars drive exactly how id imagine them to drive...an older NSX tends to suffer for some oversteer while the newer NSX does not. GT6 seems to have done this right, while Forza is perfectly ok with making everything oversteer, even a 6 ton truck.
Your attitude is very off-putting.

Last edited:
You're attitude is very off-putting.

Well I apologize if thats the case. Its just becoming a difficult decision weather to put down 350 bucks for a console to own 1 game. Its a question that I am hoping the community can assist me with, any attitude was unintentional.

It's going to be hard to tell by just watching a video if you'll like the physics. Unless it's stated in the description, it's hard to know what settings they had on and assists that they use. They might have it set up as a drift car. Have you ever played any Forza titles? If your worried about wasting money, the best bet would be to find someone who has it, a friend or relative, and play it for a good while. Not just 30 minutes, if you've never played Forza games before, it may take a bit to get used to. I think the physics are fine myself, and I've played a lot of both Forza and gran Turismo.

If that's the case then that's fine, I'll throw my input in.

Coming from a different game it will seem different to you, no game is going to have similar control inputs. Take the time to get acquainted with it and you'll soon find most nuisances gone. Precision is key, and what I've noticed from most videos, is that this is what they lack, and because of that people draw their conclusions right there.

I can get pretty much get pretty much any car around the track well enough and even went about on the official forums for a while, debunking claims that so and so car only oversteers, or every car is undrivable, by jumping in the car they would tell me to.

Modulation of the throttle, brakes, and steering inputs is going to make all the difference in the world this iteration, as what I have noticed is that at first it seemed a bit more sensitive than past iterations, and I think that's where alot of people are getting problems from. All it takes is adjusting, just like you would do for any other game.

The physics are great, and there have even been test done that indicate that it's actually simulating more, especially in the tire model, compared to GT. you can search through the GT v. FM threads and they debunk many claims that are brought up(on a cell phone, its very hard to link it, sorry)

One thing I will note too. If you upgrade a vehicle out of its stock range, a tune is absolutely necessary. That is another problem that people don't take into consideration, and if you don't tune a modified vehicle, it can produce some undesirable situations.

It's going to be hard to tell by just watching a video of you'll like the physics. Unless it's stated in the description, it's hard to know what settings they had on and assists that they use. They might have it set up as a drift car. Have you ever played any Forza titles? If your worried about wasting money, the best bet would be to find someone who has it, a friend or relative, and play it for a good while. Not just 30 minutes, if you've never played Forza games before, it may take a bit to get used to. I think the physics are fine myself, and I've played a lot of both Forza and gran Turismo.

Thanks for the reply! So the cars dont seem to lean more towards the oversteering side? Ill take the word from GTPLANET, if you guys say its good then ill be more inclined to trust you guys.

thanks again.

If that's the case then that's fine, I'll throw my input in.

Coming from a different game it will seem different to you, no game is going to have similar control inputs. Take the time to get acquainted with it and you'll soon find most nuisances gone. Precision is key, and what I've noticed from most videos, is that this is what they lack, and because of that people draw their conclusions right there.

I can get pretty much get pretty much any car around the track well enough and even went about on the official forums for a while, debunking claims that so and so car only oversteers, or every car is undrivable, by jumping in the car they would tell me to.

Modulation of the throttle, brakes, and steering inputs is going to make all the difference in the world this iteration, as what I have noticed is that at first it seemed a bit more sensitive than past iterations, and I think that's where alot of people are getting problems from. All it takes is adjusting, just like you would do for any other game.

The physics are great, and there have even been test done that indicate that it's actually simulating more, especially in the tire model, compared to GT. you can search through the GT v. FM threads and they debunk many claims that are brought up(on a cell phone, its very hard to link it, sorry)

One thing I will note too. If you upgrade a vehicle out of its stock range, a tune is absolutely necessary. That is another problem that people don't take into consideration, and if you don't tune a modified vehicle, it can produce some undesirable situations.

Thanks buddy, this helps alot!

Judging a game's physics from videos is your first mistake. :)

The Ghurka is an anomaly in stock form. Though why you'd look to a vehicle that's massively different from everything else in the game as an example of the entire physics engine is beyond me.

That thing is awful! :lol:

Can a non-fanboy, sim racer, please review the physics.

Didn't we do just that in the news article earlier this week where you asked? ;)

Here's the thing: you're coming in with confirmation bias. You like how GT's cars handle, and in your mind, it's how they should handle (even if you haven't experienced them). Comparing FM to GT is the wrong way to go about it: compare both to reality.

There's nothing wrong with that of course: I was late to the FM party, coming in just before FM4's release. And at first, the game felt very different. It takes a little while to hop in and feel comfortable. I've since grown a lot more familiar with the series, and appreciate the sense of weight you get from the cars that always seemed lacking in GT.

I've actually just lapped the two generations of NSX-R's very recently in FM6. They both feel very similar - not surprising, as they are the same generation of car - but both will succumb to oversteer if you're trying. At very low speeds, mashing the throttle will cause it. At higher speeds, it's a matter of weight transfer, where quick braking combined with winding on any significant amount of lock causes the lump of engine mass to want to move forward and towards the outside of the turn. The earlier NSX can unstick easier thanks to its smaller, less grippy tires, but it's more progressive because of them too. The newer car doesn't start slipping until faster speeds, but requires more exact countersteering, since the high-grip tires can regain their purchase much quicker.

The best advice would be to try before you buy. For me, the console has been worth the price of admission based on how often I play FM, and the Horizon series is an excellent, more casual experience (I prefer it to DriveClub in everything except Photomode visuals). 👍

Very well, couldnt have asked for better assistance!! Thanks a ton to all of you...Id have to agree that looking at gameplay vids through youtube is not the best representation of a games physics model.

Thanks for the reply! So the cars dont seem to lean more towards the oversteering side? Ill take the word from GTPLANET, if you guys say its good then ill be more inclined to trust you guys.

thanks again.

I find that the cars I have driven in FM6 do oversteer excessively. Even the 1965 Austin Cooper S. I had a 1965 Cooper and it was never a car to oversteer. With the extra power of the "S", there would be even more understeer.

Torque steering is very mild.

So it doesn't feel right.

My background in these games is Forzas 1 through 4, then GT5 and 6.

I use a wheel in all of these, and triple screen. Not in FM6 of course.

For me, GT6 feels more realistic. So do the earlier Forzas.

Last edited:
I've only played FM5 and FM6 demo and seen videos of FM6 being played. Found in demo the way cars grip very odd and not very fun to drive so didn't get the full game as it looks like it handles the same way going by videos. I seem to have to think the opposite of reality to get on top of the physics. If you do get it, set steering to Normal so it helps correcting slides as I think you are likely to be having many oversteer moments and on simulation you have higher chance of losing control. I wonder if in full version, you get boost in acceleration on lower grip surfaces. :lol:

Had you asked me before the recent update my answer would be: Yes, cars have a tendency to oversteer but it's manageable and the cars feel great on simulation steering. However, after the update cars hardly oversteer anymore but other things feel a bit dumbed down. For example, correcting oversteer requires little to no effort now.

Oversteer is only invoked by user input. Drive any car with disregard for the rear tyres and it'll oversteer. Top Gear is full of oversteer, do you think they use magic to provoke it, or the same techniques as Forza? Namely, an excess of power and/or exploiting a car's balance?

Kinda off topic, but ive also heard from others that paddle shifting cars still requires you to press the clutch, not sure if its true or not.

Forza's good, physics-wise. It's not an hardcore sim, sure, but that's more because it's more lenient than real life than because the physics are wrong (which shouldn't be read as "Forza is an easy-to-play game", mind you).

That being said, it took quite a lot of adjustment to get where we're at now. At release cars had a mild tendency towards oversteer, and countersteering was hard due to a miscalculation of the angular momentum of cars. Both issues have been fixed through the ordinary monthly updates, together with a plethora of other issues with the game.

As it is now, I'd suggest you buy an Xbox, and get the Ultimate Edition of Forza 6. Definitely worth the investment, and besides, I doubt FM6 will be the only game you'll ever play on your XBONE.

Kinda off topic, but ive also heard from others that paddle shifting cars still requires you to press the clutch, not sure if its true or not.
It'll be up to you what the shifting method will be, like most any racing games. The options are Automatic, Manual, and Manual with clutch. It'll effect every car you drive no matter if they are offered with it or not.

Last edited:
Slower if you don't use clutch button IIRC.
That's correct, manual w/clutch will shift faster so if you want to get the most out of your car then this would be the best route. If you're approaching it more casually than manual would work fine.

I play both GT6 and F6 at the same time. ie. the input switch button on my receiver is pretty much its only function!

IMO the Forza 6 model is a hair better than GT6. On F6 I play all aids off except for clutchless manual, simulation steer. GT6 I just use ABS1 all aids off.

I think Forza has beaten me into its relative "low grip" model. GT6 feels like it has too much grip. But saying that, I feel Forza has moved progressively to a higher grip model.

Forza 5 was worst for having low grip and a very twitchy model. Forza 4 wasnt too good either, both these games forced me into buying grippier tyres to compete, Forza 6 does not. You do fine with street tyres but you need to widen them to even try to be realistic.

I see V8 rwd cars leaving the virtual showroom with 205/60/15 tyres. And you wonder why there's no grip?

If you play GT6 you should have no issue with Forza 6. That's one of the things that shows GT6 and F6 are relatively high fidelity driving models... I can switch between both and not feel any need for 'adjustment'.

This wasnt the case for me with say Forza 6 and Horizon 2. The models are so different that I rarely play these back to back.

I honestly think people are better off trying to game out with the appropriate settings at a friends place or even in the game shop to see if its worth spending $400 but Forza and GT are into these 6th gen and 10yrs plus... you dont get this far without having the best models on their respective platforms really. You cant fool millions of people for a decade plus.

I have played GT6/Forza 6/Project cars/Assetto Corsa with wheel & controller.
If you liked the physics of GT6 you will love Forza 6. You can feel when the car will lose grip & if you plan to play with a controller the trigger have awesome feedback.

Mild torque steer? My experience with that is quite the opposite.

I describe it as "mild" in comparison with the real life 1965 Cooper. What are you comparing the game to?

Most modern FWD cars, even those made say 10-15-20yrs ago without electronic aids have decent torque steer control.

I've driven a fair few FWD V6 sedans and they all drive fine except if you punch them hard, say in the rain.

Now go back to the 60s... probably a different story.

I describe it as "mild" in comparison with the real life 1965 Cooper. What are you comparing the game to?
Real life. I really haven't driven the cars stock in this game but modified FWD vehicles show massive signs of it.

I'm shocked to here that the Mini Cooper in real life shows considerable amounts of torque steer, considering the lack of horsepower, though. Meanwhile, the 2006 Civic Si I used to own didn't exhibit too much.

I'm shocked to here that the Mini Cooper in real life shows considerable amounts of torque steer, considering the lack of horsepower, though.

Yes, the horsepower is low, but so is the mass! 636 kgs (plus driver, and I was rather skinny in those days!) And the steering is very direct, so the driver has a low mechanical advantage against the torque. It all added up to a noticeable "pull".

About 5 years later, I had moved on to another front wheel drive car, the Renault 16. Mine was the "TS" variant, with (for its day), a LOT of power. It used a similar engine to the Lotus Europa, but even better. The TS exhibited a fair amount of inside wheel spin, but not anything like as much torque steering.

Thinking with my mouth open, torque steering is probably significantly affected by front-end suspension geometry as well.

Whatever the causes, my Mini Cooper wanted to veer off to one side when I planted the throttle in the 4,000 to 6,000 rpm range, and it took a very noticeable effort to hold it back.

Thanks in advance.

You may have picked the game up already not sure - if you haven't, get it today! You will not regret your purchase one bit. The physics are damn nearly spot on though more improvements are going to come with F7. Over the last two decades if I look back at all the GT and Forza games I've owned, I would say F6 is by far the most realistic driving game you can own on a console today.

To get the most from it, make sure your game is updated (stay connected when you launch it the first time) and immediately set your controller deadzones to zero inside and max outside for everything, except for clutch and handbrake.. leave that as-is. You'd also want to keep all assists off, drive on manual, and use sim steering.

Give yourself time - all that patience and practice will pay off big time.

Let me know if you need any help at all setting up the game or learning the ropes so to speak. Shoot me a PM or something.

Happy motoring and WELCOME to Forza! :D

Before even trying to learn Sim steering, it's recommended you get acquainted with actually driving the cars first. It's already going to seem odd to him, so throwing that in just usually ends for a bad time, especially when you're new to the series.

I would for sure leave normal steering on, it's probably best to take off some of the assists slowly as you learn the game. The first thing is getting used to the trigger system, just not mashing the triggers. I've heard/read way too many people complain that Forza cars are uncontrollable and they spin out/get loose too much. It's because they turn off all the assists and have absolutely no throttle control yet, they've played a lot of other racing games and think they are Mario Andretti. It's best to ease into it if you've never played a Forza game.

Back