What's the Greatest Movie Car of All Time?

• Thread starter Famine
  • 44 comments

What's the Greatest Movie Car of All Time?

• Blade - Dodge Charger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cannonball Run - Dodge Sportsman Ambulance

• Cars - Chevrolet Task-Force 3800 "Mater"

• Cars - Plymouth Road Runner Superbird "The King"

• Death Race 2000 - Shala-Vette "Frankenstein's Monster"

• Green Hornet - Imperial Crown "Black Beauty"

• Harold and Maude - Jaguar E-Type Hearse

• James Bond (SPECTRE) - Jaguar C-X75

• Johnny English Reborn - Rolls-Royce 101EX

• Minority Report - Lexus 2054

• Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - BMW Vision Efficient Dynamics

• Need for Speed - Ford Mustang

• Taxi Driver - Checker Taxicab

• Transporter (series) - Audi A8

• xXx: The Next Level - Shelby Cobra Concept

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
You guys might remember that, a few weeks ago, we ran this article on the blog. It was a survey conducted for Hyundai to find the greatest movie cars of all time, to coincide with the Veloster Hot Wheels appearance in Ant Man and The Wasp.

By and large, it was fine, but some of the entries on the list made us wonder exactly how they'd arrived at them, even as options never mind the top 40. There were some weird choices on there, and at least one car had never even been in a film.

You seemed to agree, with several alternative and more deserving cars suggested in the discussion thread. We figured our community could do better, so we let that run, and the staff and writing team also came up with their own ideas. We also plucked the best from the list in the article. This created a longlist of very many cars.

We didn't take on every idea. Some of the cars (particularly on Hyundai's list) simply aren't significant to their own films, never mind compared to all other movie cars. We had to make a judgment call to pare the list down to a still large but manageable list - almost all of the cars left on this list rate at four stars or better on IMCDB, for vehicles that play a significant part of the film's plot, with some exceptions.

But we need to make the list smaller, so it's time for you guys to have your say again.

The list is above. Pick any cars that strike you as being the greatest movie cars of all time, by whatever criteria you think - whether they're culturally significant, particularly important to the plot, or you just like them. You can pick up to ten, but you don't have to.

Have at it!

Reactions: TB
A surprising thread at this late hour. More than happy to get the ball rolling though.

Ten was the perfect amount for me. No more, no less.

Voted.

One stood out to me amongst all others but not in a good way. The Murcielago from TDK has no place in this list.

TB
The Murcielago from TDK has no place in this list.
It's one of the not-four star cars (three - others include the F&F Charger, the xXx Shelby and the Lexus from Minority Report), but it does get name-checked* and appears in an important scene.

*"Ah, the Lamborghini then. Much more subtle."

TB
Voted.

One stood out to me amongst all others but not in a good way. The Murcielago from TDK has no place in this list.

I know what you mean but I did enjoy the scream of the Lambo in that film. I haven't since the film in probably about 10 years and that scene still sticks out.

Im scraping the barrel here but maybe the futuristic Audi from I Robot would be a more worthy car?

Just to be clear, these are to be only movie cars, correct? Or are cars as they appeared on television included?

General Lee speaking (:P), I tend to picture John Schneider and Tom Wopat rather than Stifler and Jackass.

While I prefer the Kenworth W900, it isn't an option so I have to vote for the Trans Am from Smokey and the Bandit.

Total Recall is one of my top 3 movies of all time, but I just couldn't select the Johnny Cab. :lol:

I see the JP Wrangler was among the rightful mentions in the other thread but the poll here only went with the Explorer.

1504560706318.gif

We had to make a judgment call to pare the list down to a still large but manageable list - almost all of the cars left on this list rate at four stars or better on IMCDB, for vehicles that play a significant part of the film's plot, with some exceptions.
You left out some really significant ones / well known ones like K.I.T.T from Knight Rider, GMC van from The A-Team, Gran Torino from Starsky & Hutch.
I known you couldn't add every car, some on the list are a surprise cause you don't see them mentioned that often and some seem like they are just filler.

Ahh buggerspuds, submitted too soon and missed off my vote for Bandit's Pontiac and the General Lee. Still, in the end, I went for the Delorean, Ecto-1, Keaton's Batmobile, both Eleanors, the Taxi from Taxi, and the Challenger from vanishing point.

Didn't vote the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics as with many of the more modern entries (or potential entries) for this list, it/they tend to feel like the film is trying to bludgeon the audience to death with product placement.

Those are TV shows.
To be fair, Starsky & Hutch hit the big screen starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson; my question above was intended to be humorous but it was a serious one as well.

If a noteworthy television car appeared in film as well...

That having been said, it's really more a case of GTP users leaving things out as everything not carried over from the Hyundai survey was suggested by a GTP user.

I chose Herbie 'cause I'm a bit biased. But aside from that, Herbie had 5 movies spanning from 1969 to 2005 and had a TV show in the 1980s.

My votes:

• American Graffiti - Ford Deuce Coupe - A hot rod classic, still inspiring hot rodders today.
  • Back to the Future - DeLorean DMC-12 - A perfect choice for one of the most quintessentially '80s movies.
  • Batman: The Movie - Lincoln Futura “Batmobile" - My vote is mostly influenced by the TV show, but it's a '60s kustom klassic.
  • Bullitt - Ford Mustang - Best car in best chase scene.
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - It was an ancient classic and it flew!
  • Ghostbusters - Cadillac Miller-Meteor “ECTO-1” - As much a part of the cast as the actors.
  • Herbie (series) - Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle - Herbie was like a friend growing up. The clever little car that always tried its hardest.
  • James Bond (series) - Aston Martin DB5 - If a DB5 could be magically turned into a human being it would BE James Bond.
  • Mad Max (series) - Ford Falcon XB GT "Pursuit Special" - The last of the V8s.
  • Speed Racer - Mach 5 - The movie got so little love, but I still think it's great. And the Mach 5 is as beautiful as it is fast.

There's currently 7 persons that have voted for the wrong Eleanor. Shame.

What's our stand on Le Mans, Grand Prix and Rush?

Couldn't in good faith vote for the other as I've never seen the movie.

• Back to the Future - DeLorean DMC-1
  • Bullitt - Ford Mustang
  • Christine - Plymouth Belvedere
  • The Dukes of Hazzard - Dodge Charger "General Lee"
  • Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder SWB
  • Ghostbusters - Cadillac Miller-Meteor “ECTO-1”
  • Herbie (series) - Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle
  • Smokey and the Bandit - Pontiac Trans Am
  • Vanishing Point - Dodge Challenger
  • The Wraith - Dodge Turbo Interceptor
I may have only picked my favorites, then selected the last few I thought would be popular to complete the 10. :P

The A-Team and Starsky & Hutch both have movies they are both modern remakes of the TV series but so is the Dukes of Hazzard
Completely forgot The A-Team was made into a movie...I guess that's the impression it made on me.

Meh...race cars in movies about racing. Plus the Mini that Hunt drove to the track in in the beginning of Rush had wheels shod with Yokohama A032Rs...25 years before the tire became available.

TB
Couldn't in good faith vote for the other as I've never seen the movie.
You so have to though, and not just because of the big chase:

I nerfed my vote and somehow completely missed the DeLorean, but it's not feeling the loss too bad, and while I proposed some oddballs because they stand out for me, the only submission of my own that I voted for was the Griswolds' station wagon because the others aren't particularly iconic.

I like real cars that actually fit into the storyline of the movie outside being a cool car, an obvious product placement, or neat gadget for the hero to use.

The Mini in The Bourne Identity, arguably the best chase scene in a movie and the mini is the primary vehicle of transport in that movie.

The BMW M5 in The Transporter. Perfect car for that character carptet and that movie, and one of my favorite model BMWs ever.

Last edited:
No AE86 from Initial D? I am disappoint.
People had an entire month to suggest anything they wanted. If there's something you think is missing, you had a month to suggest it...

When the voting is done, we're going to take the 32 highest scoring cars and we'll do something cool with them.

I voted for just one, despite there being several noteworthy candidates.

Steve McQueen.

I voted for both.

Both films are appealing in different ways, and both cars are iconic in their own right.

I had to look that one up. I've never heard of the movie. I thought that might be a Lincoln under there and I was right. A Mark III customized by the legendary Chuck Barris. Now I want to see the movie, despite the terrible reviews.

TB

Ah, I wasn't think of the right lambo when I saw that entry.

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back