What's the point of Red Bull challenge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nerdbuster
  • 145 comments
  • 15,304 views
Messages
36
Although I just finished Red Bull challenge, I'm still outrageously angry about this being nonsense. GT 5 is supposed to be as real as possible. All those concept cars and cars that are never put into production or racing should be gone. Why do we want Ferraris and Lamborghinis? We want them because they are real. If the game maker really wants to give a serious challenge, it should be different, like time trial with a car that has certain problem or so. Otherwise I feel really stupid while playing. Do Sony sell games to make people feel stupid?:crazy:
 
The point of the RedBull Challenge?

To get, the X2010, simple.

This is a car which can be built IRL, although it may not perform to the extent it does in GT5. Only thing RB needs is money and motivation, we may be seeing this car out on the road.
 
The point of the RedBull Challenge?

To get, the X2010, simple.

This is a car which can be built IRL, although it may not perform to the extent it does in GT5. Only thing RB needs is money and motivation, we may be seeing this car out on the road.

I saw a vid of the red bull x2010 on nurburgring, looks impossible. No way a car going that fast can hug a turn at that speed..
 
The point of it is the same as the rest of the races, to win some cars, get some exp, make some money and further complete the game. Also show your racing prowess with an intense concept car.

Feel lucky though, if that challenge makes you "outrageously angry" you have a very very luxuriously lovely life. (I love alliteration)
 
I have no doubt Red Bull and Adrian Newey could build the X1 and I'm convinced it would handle as well as it does in the game, the reason they havn't built it is they have nobody to race it with as it breaks every rule in the F1 book.
 
I saw a vid of the red bull x2010 on nurburgring, looks impossible. No way a car going that fast can hug a turn at that speed..

The X2010 has a fan which gives the car incredibly high amounts of downforce no matter what speed you're going at.
 
I am sure if Adrian Newey is involved the X1 is more or less realistic. But driving this thing is a joke nevertheless.

So yeah this is the most cheesy event in the game IMHO.
 
Although I just finished Red Bull challenge, I'm still outrageously angry about this being nonsense. GT 5 is supposed to be as real as possible. All those concept cars and cars that are never put into production or racing should be gone. Why do we want Ferraris and Lamborghinis? We want them because they are real. If the game maker really wants to give a serious challenge, it should be different, like time trial with a car that has certain problem or so. Otherwise I feel really stupid while playing. Do Sony sell games to make people feel stupid?:crazy:

Wouldn't really call the idea of the X2010 nonsense. If the FIA hadn't declared the Brabham BT46B illegal back in 1978 would the Red Bull X2010 really be that ridiculous given the way car technology has evolved since back then.

ground-effects-in-formula-1-6717_3.jpg


 
Last edited:
I find that the Red Bull Challenge is put there to frustrate me! Having said that I did use the X2010 (which a Friend wanted to trade me) to eventually make a clean lap of the High Speed Ring which did strike me as hard work at times on a DS3 (and I have yet to master the use of a wheel). Still Bob can probably amke better use of it!

I am by no means an expert at the game and have very little desire to work at the problem, other than to have fun racing cars I CAN drive to enable my car collection to grow!

I even have problems with the FGT (hence the fact that series is incomplete on my game). Instead I have fun (a slightly elusive commodity in GT5 at times) driving a variety of cars around the Rome track at 99K a time (plus Seasonals)! This approach has enabled me to reach Lv 33!
 
I have no doubt Red Bull and Adrian Newey could build the X1 and I'm convinced it would handle as well as it does in the game, the reason they havn't built it is they have nobody to race it with as it breaks every rule in the F1 book.

That and there would probably be no able to cope with those G's
 
That and there would probably be no able to cope with those G's


What do you base that on?
John Paul Stapp did experiments in the 50's where he did about 40G - I don't think the Red Bull will ever come close to 40.

And, btw he died of old age.
 
Wouldn't really call the idea of the X2010 nonsense. If the FIA hadn't declared the Brabham BT46B illegal back in 1978 would the Red Bull X2010 really be that ridiculous given the way car technology has evolved since back then.

ground-effects-in-formula-1-6717_3.jpg
And the fan was driven by the car's engine, not a separate motor!
The drivers had to accelerate for the whole corner or the car had no grip :lol::eek:
 
I have no problem with the car being in the game, but I also don't feel it's remotely feasible in real life.

It's just a pretty model with a huge amount of virtual downforce attached to it. I'm fairly sure Red Bull didn't waste their time planning out the layout of thousands of components and doing CFD simulations of the fan, it's just a sketch.
 
I have no problem with the car being in the game, but I also don't feel it's remotely feasible in real life.

It's just a pretty model with a huge amount of virtual downforce attached to it. I'm fairly sure Red Bull didn't waste their time planning out the layout of thousands of components and doing CFD simulations of the fan, it's just a sketch.

So you didn't see the photo's of Adrian Newey and Kaz together working on it.
 
Although I just finished Red Bull challenge, I'm still outrageously angry about this being nonsense. GT 5 is supposed to be as real as possible. All those concept cars and cars that are never put into production or racing should be gone. Why do we want Ferraris and Lamborghinis? We want them because they are real. If the game maker really wants to give a serious challenge, it should be different, like time trial with a car that has certain problem or so.
I totally agree. Putting in a few days to gold a challenge like Mission 34 in GT4 would give the game (and platinum) some real 'GT' meaning.

IMO, the X2010 and the Vettel Challenge are just another example of how Kaz has lost the plot in the GT series.
 
What do you base that on?
John Paul Stapp did experiments in the 50's where he did about 40G - I don't think the Red Bull will ever come close to 40.

And, btw he died of old age.
He did, and people survive such forces in car crashes every day. But these are momentary stresses in a very short timespan, remember a driver of an X2010 would have to cope with very high g of changing conditions for a whole lap.

I am quite sure that Fighter Pilots are subject to higher G-forces than that.
I don't think so to be honest. Fighter pilots always pull upwards and thus also change the direction of the plane by rolling it to one side and then pulling "upwards" because this is the best way to cope with the forces on their body. Also, their special suits which prevent blackouts work best when the blood is pressed into their legs, which happens when they are subjected to a downwards force.

In an X2010, you'd have lateral g of great magnitude. That is much harder for the body to cope with. So as far as I understand it, the problem is not building this car, the problem is that no driver would be able to stay conscious through a whole lap of a track.
 
The point of the challenge is that it is the Sebastian Vettel Challenge, not the Sebastian Vettel Walk In The Park.
 
He did, and people survive such forces in car crashes every day. But these are momentary stresses in a very short timespan, remember a driver of an X2010 would have to cope with very high g of changing conditions for a whole lap.

I don't think so to be honest. Fighter pilots always pull upwards and thus also change the direction of the plane by rolling it to one side and then pulling "upwards" because this is the best way to cope with the forces on their body. Also, their special suits which prevent blackouts work best when the blood is pressed into their legs, which happens when they are subjected to a downwards force.

In an X2010, you'd have lateral g of great magnitude. That is much harder for the body to cope with. So as far as I understand it, the problem is not building this car, the problem is that no driver would be able to stay conscious through a whole lap of a track.

I have seen interviews with the pilots that compete in the Red Bull Airrace and they are talking about 8 and 9 G's during their run.
I have not seen just what kind of G's a potential X2010 driver (pilot?) would be subjected to, any info on that?
 
So you didn't see the photo's of Adrian Newey and Kaz together working on it.
Yes I did. Why? It would take many hundreds of man hours to get anything approaching a design. This is just a concept they came up with.

If they did produce an engineering design then I'd be really interested in seeing it.
 
I have seen interviews with the pilots that compete in the Red Bull Airrace and they are talking about 8 and 9 G's during their run.
I have not seen just what kind of G's a potential X2010 driver (pilot?) would be subjected to, any info on that?
According to the Gran Turismo website, the X2010 can pull up to lateral 8.75G.
With this proposal from Mr. Newey, the machine was transformed with a large fan added to the rear end of the body. With additional advice regarding the shapes of the front and rear wings and rear diffuser, its aerodynamics became even further refined. As a result, the Red Bull X2010 Prototype attained an astonishing level of performance, reaching a top speed of over 450km/h, with a maximum lateral acceleration reaching up to 8.75G. This is a performance level that is at the very limits of what a normal human body can withstand.
Source: http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d14918.html

I suppose that a well-trained human with an appropriate suit might withstand that over a short period of time. Whether this person would be able to withstand these forces for a whole lap of a track and on top of that pilot an incredibly fast car with high precision is at least questionable.
 
Last edited:
Yes I did. Why? It would take many hundreds of man hours to get anything approaching a design. This is just a concept they came up with.

If they did produce an engineering design then I'd be really interested in seeing it.

I don't think it would actually take Newey very long to come up with the design at all, this is his speciality remember and I'm sure that aerodynamicists like him would always know how to build the ultimate race car if there were no boundaries withholding him.

And as for the design, isn't it the X1.
 
The X2010 wouldn't have anybody that could drive it at 3 mins 30 secs round the Ring, it just wouldn't happen. Tyre technology would be a major problem as would finding anyone that could stand the stress on their body from it.
 
I saw a vid of the red bull x2010 on nurburgring, looks impossible. No way a car going that fast can hug a turn at that speed..
its possible cause i took the corner of the high speed ring doing 240 like nothing
 
The point of the challenge is that it is the Sebastian Vettel Challenge, not the Sebastian Vettel Walk In The Park.

Its certainly not a walk in the park! My shirt was soaking wet from sweat after an hour of trying to earn bronze on the Nurburgring. I qoute "TRYING" because I still dont have it.
 
I don't think so to be honest. Fighter pilots always pull upwards and thus also change the direction of the plane by rolling it to one side and then pulling "upwards" because this is the best way to cope with the forces on their body.
No, they don't do it to make it easier on the body. It's because that's the direction in which the wings generate force. For the body it's actually a worst case scenario because it drains the blood from the brain and renders you unconscious.
 
Back