What's with the framerate?PS4 

• Thread starter Sander 001
  • 54 comments
I'm playing the demo on PS4 Pro and I like it but it's just not completely smooth visually. It's like the framerate is running at a steady 55fps or something. A slight but constant stutter.

Is this just the demo? I tried turning off many of the effects to no avail. Anything else I can try? Oh in the options I did set it to favour framerate. Anyway Kinda getting bored of GT Sport but damn is it ever buttery smooth.

I feel like it's running smoothly enough (but definitely not near locked framerate in all or most circumstances) on my standard PS4.
My biggest issue visually or performance wise is that the game goes from looking quite pretty in most daylight conditions to ugly as hell once the cars turn on their headlights from late evening to morning. Suddenly it's like a switch is flicked on for aliasing and all the cars turn into an ugly pixelated mess. I'm guessing this is a massive trade-off since the game engine can't keep up with so many light sources (on the base consoles at least, is it different on the Pro?).

The thing is I don't remember this being nearly as bad in the first Project Cars, but maybe my memory is just off?

As it is it's completely putting me off from night racing.

game engine can't keep up with so many light sources (on the base consoles at least, is it different on the Pro?).

That was the case when I had it on the original PS4, can't speak for the pro.

I'm on PC now and it's 100+ FPS across the board (drops to 80 during rain) no more stutter and the AA issues are no longer an issue being able to fine tune everything. Super sampling/msaa is king.
It's easy to say I know, but if your not that attached to the PS4 with friends or Sony exclusives trade that console in toward a decent PC.

I'm on PC now and it's 100+ FPS across the board (drops to 80 during rain) no more stutter and the AA issues are no longer an issue being able to fine tune everything. Super sampling/msaa is king.
It's easy to say I know, but if your not that attached to the PS4 with friends or Sony exclusives trade that console in toward a decent PC.

Will probably happen again some day - I've had gaming PCs in the past - but I've been hesitant to spend around a thousand Euro on a decent gaming PC. Although with all the PS4 games I've bought just the price difference on the PC versions might have just about earned that back.

Will probably happen again some day - I've had gaming PCs in the past - but I've been hesitant to spend around a thousand Euro on a decent gaming PC. Although with all the PS4 games I've bought just the price difference on the PC versions might have just about earned that back.

I understand I've spent alot on my PC they are not cheap.
Steam is my friend and I have recovered some through their sales.
Yesterday I picked up Dirt Rally for $11.99.
I wish I could help the OP but it just is what it is with the PS4 with lack of performance adjustments and hardware limitations.

Yeah, but it is a lot about those exclusives!

My gaming PC is a little out of date but I'm going to hold fire for some time until GPU and hopefully RAM prices stop being so stupid. I want a VR capable system next time I upgrade my gaming PC but not prepared to pay current prices.

I feel like it's running smoothly enough (but definitely not near locked framerate in all or most circumstances) on my standard PS4.
My biggest issue visually or performance wise is that the game goes from looking quite pretty in most daylight conditions to ugly as hell once the cars turn on their headlights from late evening to morning. Suddenly it's like a switch is flicked on for aliasing and all the cars turn into an ugly pixelated mess. I'm guessing this is a massive trade-off since the game engine can't keep up with so many light sources (on the base consoles at least, is it different on the Pro?).

The thing is I don't remember this being nearly as bad in the first Project Cars, but maybe my memory is just off?

As it is it's completely putting me off from night racing.
I run the game in enhanced resolution mode on the Pro and as far as I can tell the framerate is extremely solid as is the overall image quallity.

I don't get this? how is trading in his PS4 for what 50 bucks gonna help him towards a PC?

Just a 500gb hdd alone is like what 80 bucks :rolleyes:

I've been running it more and it seems like it's camera shake. I turned it all down to zero but it doesn't seem to do much.

I watched some videos on YouTube of the PS4 version and it's smooth! So maybe only the demo version has a bug for the camera shaking setting.

I don't get this? how is trading in his PS4 for what 50 bucks gonna help him towards a PC?

I overlooked that part :). Yes, aside from how far I would still be from the cost of a gaming PC, I have over 200 games in my PS4 library (no discs, all downloads) so I would definitely keep the console even if or when I buy a gaming PC.

If you have a PS4 I'll gladly give you $50 for it.

Sold mine for $250 with two controllers and 4 games, bought my PC for $700 so it was a decent chunk of the cost.

I run the game in enhanced resolution mode on the Pro and as far as I can tell the framerate is extremely solid as is the overall image quallity.

I don’t exactly remember which mode I am using but I am running PC2 on a Pro as well and it is extremely solid and good looking.

Actually if I have to place a remark is that the video quality ingame is much better than the replays.
In-game the framerate is smooth and solid, and the video quality is high with nice details and very good resolution.
Replays are not as smooth (30fps) with occasional frame drops, and a lower video quality. Many graphics details (rain particles for example) are much better ingame than in replays.
In this aspect SMS has to learn a lot from PD.

I run enhanced visuals on the 1X & to quote Cat from Red Dwarf, it's "smooth with a capital smoo". Regarding replays they ain't bad but I prefer to record direct gameplay & watch it back.

I don’t exactly remember which mode I am using but I am running PC2 on a Pro as well and it is extremely solid and good looking.

Actually if I have to place a remark is that the video quality ingame is much better than the replays.
In-game the framerate is smooth and solid, and the video quality is high with nice details and very good resolution.
Replays are not as smooth (30fps) with occasional frame drops, and a lower video quality. Many graphics details (rain particles for example) are much better ingame than in replays.

I really wish SMS would uncap the replay fps and allow Pro users to try something faster than 30fps locked.

Where do I go on my PRO to change these settings?

I think that is a slightly overstating it to say the least.
I swear I'm not.
Actually out of AC, GTS and PC2, PC2 has the worst graphics QUALITY in my humble opinion.
Yes the effects and graphics itself are nice, but the quality is bad; very blurry, pixelated, popping and flickering etc... It drives me crazy in replays as I can see the cars details literally popup clearly when the car is getting closer to the camera; AC and GTS does that better with GTS getting the crown in graphics department.
I do think however that this regression in graphics quality is due to the complicated physics/sim PC2 is adopting (physics simulation, weather, livetrack etc...) which our beloved console can't handle at max, so they decided to sacrifice the quality. I can imagine that it's a masterpiece on PC.
I'm on the PS4 pro too mind you.

Last edited:
Spell it out for me and I'll check it. Why would they fix this? Sounds exactly what we need! Or did it expose some weakness in the rendering?
Start watching a replay. Hit Pause and get to Options menu. Come back to the replay, unpause whatever. When you resume watching it should be uncapped fps. It was a bug but I think Ian said he might let it go since the benefit was generally positively received.

The rendering in replays in PC2 is already THE worst rendering I have ever seen on a racing game.
The criticism from the first game was that the trackside replay cameras were too close and narrowly focused on 1 car (which looked beautiful in high detail), missing all the braking duels and drag races and pack racing (think 'racing incidents'). Therefore we researched and watched hours and hours of actual race replay IMSA, Indycar, ELMS, Super GT, WRC etc (compare Long Beach in game and on YouTube, or Road America which I hand-edited myself to match IMSA) and tried to better match those angles and camera changes. Generally the community appreciated much more the longer zooms and wider shots and less camera switching (I had a rule of thumb that each camera must follow a car no less than 5 seconds for viewer comfort). What we gave up to achieve that was high detail models 100% of the time. So there's a balance there, perhaps it will find a happy middle next game. Although the broadcasters seem to be having a good time with replay cameras.

I've generally had a pleasant time but one race made me feel feel very sick. Career Caterham 300 race at Brands GP. I reckon I got 15fps max dropping to 8 on corners. In the rain at night with all those light sources.... Found it hard to drive at all so cycled through all the settings which didn't help. The low res one looked like Ridge Racer. Interestingly when I went in to change tires back to dry mid race the frame rates improved. I saved the PC2 replay and the frame rate was just as bad in that. ONLY this one race in the series was as bad as this. Rest of the time I've been having a blast.
I could post the replay but I don't want to knock the game just because I had one unacceptable race.
What I would LOVE is an option to actually choose the output resolution. I have an upscaling 4k TV which makes 1080p footage look superb. So no need to make the PS4 Pro overheat making it 4k when it could concentrate on rendering a great image instead!

Back