Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 877 comments
Wow, I didn't know LG was associated with Goldstar, however I feel the company's current products are far better than what they produced under the Goldstar brand. Seen some nice looking displays from them recently.

I seem to recall a lot of college dorms with crappy little Goldstar CRT/VHS combos back in the day. They've come far. So has Samsung. Anyone remember the GX gaming TVs?

x6a00d83452989a69e20115713e2992970b-800wi.pagespeed.ic.LL-t2dkv8t.jpg

Samsung GXE1395 TV Opens Its Doors To Retro Gaming

I seem to recall a lot of college dorms with crappy little Goldstar CRT/VHS combos back in the day. They've come far. So has Samsung. Anyone remember the GX gaming TVs?

x6a00d83452989a69e20115713e2992970b-800wi.pagespeed.ic.LL-t2dkv8t.jpg

Samsung GXE1395 TV Opens Its Doors To Retro Gaming

Oh, I remember them all too well. As someone who's been an avid gamer since the Odyssey days, these TVs actually don't seem that retro to me at all. They're actually kinda recent from my perspective.

2 Pioneer's house speaker's 150w each with 12in sub's 6in speaker's and tweeter's all built in a tall speaker box.
1000w Optimus Receiver.

42in Sanyo 1080p hung on built wall in my camper. I put my computer on back side of the wall for more room in livingroom it's small room. Room 5 by 6 and got good setup for playing game's my speaker's are under the tv with old record cabinet in between. Cabinet hold's receiver and ps3 I put hole in the built wall and install a computer fan suck out hot air from ps3 makes it alot cooler.

2 Pioneer's house speaker's 150w each with 12in sub's 6in speaker's and tweeter's all built in a tall speaker box.
1000w Optimus Receiver.

42in Sanyo 1080p hung on built wall in my camper. I put my computer on back side of the wall for more room in livingroom it's small room. Room 5 by 6 and got good setup for playing game's my speaker's are under the tv with old record cabinet in between. Cabinet hold's receiver and ps3 I put hole in the built wall and install a computer fan suck out hot air from ps3 makes it alot cooler.

You do realize that watts mean very little, so long as your receiver/amp is pushing enough to properly drive the speakers. Many people don't realize this, but a 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as one of 100 watts. In order to double the volume, one needs to multiply the wattage by 10. Just a random fact.

Last edited:
You do realize that watts mean very little, so long as your receiver/amp is pushing enough to properly drive the speakers. Many people don't realize this, but a 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as one of 100 watts. In order to double the volume, one needs to multiply the wattage by 10. Just a random fact.

Exactly, to make just a 3 DB difference in sound which is just a noticeable increase in volume you need double the power, which is why I had no reservations of purchasing a 50 wpc Marantz which is rated over 20 - 20,000 Hz at .08 % distortion instead of just 1 kHz at 10% distortion like many other brands do to grossly inflate their power ratings. Most systems rarely crack 5-10 watts under normal listening volumes unless they're driving very inefficient speakers.

Exactly, to make just a 3 DB difference in sound which is just a noticeable increase in volume you need double the power, which is why I had no reservations of purchasing a 50 wpc Marantz which is rated over 20 - 20,000 Hz at .08 % distortion instead of just 1 kHz at 10% distortion like many other brands do to grossly inflate their power ratings. Most systems rarely crack 5-10 watts under normal listening volumes unless they're driving very inefficient speakers.

Bingo.

I was going to bring that up as well, but I didn't want to stray too far away from the heart of the topic. Inefficient speakers aside, the watts only come into play during extreme peaks. Making sure the amp can handle the ohm load (impedance) is more valuable than wattage.

Last edited:
Oh hell yes!!! So how far from Michigan are you. : )

Man Cave: Theater/Gaming Room

Details:
•60" DLP
•PS3
•Tritton Pro
•Denon 3113ci 7x 125 watt RMS
•Klipsch Reference
•Towers - 8" horn / dual 8" drivers
•Center - 6" horn / dual 6.5" drivers
•Surrounds - dual 6" horns / 6.5" driver
•Rears - 6" horn / 6.5" driver
•Subs
•PSA Dual 15" sub (Front & Rear fire) - 750 watt RMS
•MK 12" sub - 150 watt RMS

2ch= 1150 watts RMS
5.1 = 1525 watts RMS
7.1 = 1775 watts RMS

PSA sub plays down to 10hz this thing literally shakes the walls at 20hz test freq.

Very very pleased with how it turned out.
Going for another PSA

As well in this Room is my Racing Rig.
•Custom Rig
•3x 24" Asus Monitors
•3x PS3's
•iRacing Purpose built PC
•2x Buttkicker Gamer 2
•Tritton Pro+

And now pictures:

11212675414_3bc52b2c37_o.jpg

11212690196_4251dd19c2_o.jpg

F02B1498-BF25-4ADE-910F-3D54E6861FC6-1494-000000D8DD2EEB39_zps8eb74442.jpg

8FBC8772-79B8-44C6-A93C-5F174110E276-1494-000000D8D7E31548_zps6e445d73.jpg

7b31318c.jpg

0b12b8e9.jpg

I couldn't help myself... Sold my previous setup to my dad and bought myself

Polk ATi A9 Floorstanding
747192118457.jpg

Polk DSW PRO 660 Subwoofer
747192120269.jpg

Polk CSi A6 Center
747192118495.jpg

Polk F/XiA6 Surrounds (in black)
747192118549.jpg

And the Denon AVR X4000 to power them.
denon-avr-x4000-05-06-13-01.jpg

So happy with this setup.

I couldn't help myself... Sold my previous setup to my dad and bought myself

Polk ATi A9 Floorstanding
747192118457.jpg

Polk DSW PRO 660 Subwoofer
747192120269.jpg

Polk CSi A6 Center
747192118495.jpg

Polk F/XiA6 Surrounds (in black)
747192118549.jpg

And the Denon AVR X4000 to power them.
denon-avr-x4000-05-06-13-01.jpg

So happy with this setup.
I just got the x4000 today and have been playing with it. The network features are nice but I can't get the sound I want. I'm sure some tinkering will get it there. My last receiver was the same way. I've also got almost the same speakers as you except I have the rtia5s in the front and an svs pb 13 ultra sub. I couldn't afford a seperate amp to power those A9s when I bought mine. I've heard those are some awsome speakers. It's hard to turn down polk when it comes to what you get for your money.

Congrats on the setup. I bet it sounds great b

:sly:

Its all mine baby :P

I've invited the neighbors over already.. and had them bring their favorite CD's... figured I needed to get them onside ASAP.

In the theater room have my PS3 hooked up to a 43 inch Samsung plasma TV (150w Samsung Home Theater for audio). I also have another PS3 in my room this time its hooked up to an old 32 inch Samsung LCD TV.

How many wall outlets / surge protector strips are some of you running? I am thinking of installing another wall outlet to run all my electronics. Currently I am using about 3 different outlets around my living room to make everything work. Just looking for some more ideas or inspiration.

Thought about getting an entertainment center something like this. But still not sure if I want to run a new outlet or just use the surge protection strips. Not even sure the best place to buy these things.

Last edited:
How many wall outlets / surge protector strips are some of you running? I am thinking of installing another wall outlet to run all my electronics. Currently I am using about 3 different outlets around my living room to make everything work. Just looking for some more ideas or inspiration.

Thought about getting an entertainment center something like this. But still not sure if I want to run a new outlet or just use the surge protection strips. Not even sure the best place to buy these things.

This is just an example. I don't even think this would work since I put my consoles horizontal.

View attachment 123906

You should really think about a power conditioner/protector rather than surge strips. Right now I'm running an APC H10 that works very well. Here's a link...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBLOAY/?tag=gtplanet-20

Conditioning the power, as opposed to simple surge protection is important because uneven power (over & under) is the leading cause of premature equipment failure. This unit delivers a steady supply of power, quickly compensating for over & under voltage. It also removes any hum or buzzing from electrical interference. It's one of the best investments I've made for my system.

You should really think about a power conditioner/protector rather than surge strips. Right now I'm running an APC H10 that works very well. Here's a link...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBLOAY/?tag=gtplanet-20

Conditioning the power, as opposed to simple surge protection is important because uneven power (over & under) is the leading cause of premature equipment failure. This unit delivers a steady supply of power, quickly compensating for over & under voltage. It also removes any hum or buzzing from electrical interference. It's one of the best investments I've made for my system.
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a 12 plug surge protector that I will run for now, but I will keep this conditioner in mind for sure. Makes perfect sense. Still trying to figure out something for the entertainment center too.

@CAMAROBOY69 as far as the outlets go I'm don't know about the relevant regulations in your neck of the woods. Last time I checked we can put as many as you want in the circuit with the correct cable and circuit breaker.

Keep in mind though the breaker is there only to protect the cable and not what is plugged into it.

The link that @Anomaly gave you is a much better option for protecting your actual equipment.

Call me cheap but this LG soundbar does the trick for me:

showimage.php

Really adds to the experience if you want to upgrade from TV sounds, but want to keep it cheap and easy. Payed 90 euros for this one.

Last edited:
Call me cheap but this LG soundbar does the trick for me:

showimage.php

Really adds to the experience if you want to upgrade from TV sounds, but want to keep it cheap and easy. Payed 90 euros for this one.

Well the most important thing is it works for for you and it makes you happy. I'm starting to considering one for the bedroom, there's really no room for anything else.

Well on another note, after 5 years my Samsung LN46A750 finally started the infamous turning on/off with no picture problem :( Bad power supply board caps. Rather than calling Samsung and getting a replacement board with the same poor quality caps I'll be recapping the whole board myself with good quality parts. I've read cases of replacement boards failing after only 2 years with the same problem :-/.

I figure an hour or two of my time and 20 or 30 bucks in parts is well worth keeping this TV alive. The picture still holds up very well by today's standards.

Well the most important thing is it works for for you and it makes you happy. I'm starting to considering one for the bedroom, there's really no room for anything else.
It's no surround home cinema, but it greatly improves the sound quality without inducing neighbor infuriating bass.

As some may have seen in the recent purchase thread I picked up some home AV stuff today.

B&W 685 S2
Yamaha RX-V675 AV Amp
Marantz UD7007 Bluray/SACD/CD/DVD Player
Chord HDMI
Triangle Speaker Stands

These complimented by my exsisting 46HX803 Sony Bravia, Chord Carnival Silver Screen speaker cable, Apple TV 3rd Gen and PS3.

I posted some rushed pics from my phone in the purchase thread. I'll try and get a good shot or two next weekend.

image.jpg

Last edited:
What PC cooling fans do you recommend for an entertainment center? Probably need about 4 total. Very quite that push at least a little amount of air. Was thinking something like little PC fans. Nothing crazy. I will be placing them behind the PC, PS3, and 360 and would be hooked to a switch. I would like the option to turn the LEDs on or off. There are many different versions available. Figured some of you would have some feedback on fans you like the most.

@CAMAROBOY69 I'd probably recommend something from Noctua. They seem to make high CFM pushing fans but are nice and quiet.

Other might way in and recommend others.

I don't need any crazy cfm pushing fans. Really just some of the smallest fans available. Nothing crazy at all. Just enough to pull a little heat out of the entertainment center once I get it built. Must be very quite for sure.

Was thinking something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SickleFlow-120-Radiators/dp/B0026ZPFCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395866166&sr=8-1&keywords=pc cooling fan

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lots-2-Blue...?pt=US_Computer_Case_Fans&hash=item3f26b33a5a

But they also need to hook to an on off wall switch. Not sure what switches I want to use yet. Will have to do some research for sure.

Last edited:
@CAMAROBOY69 - first off, sorry for not PM'ing you back yet - I'll take care of that tonight! Been absurdly busy as of late.

Back to the point at hand, in my old setup, I used a 12v power supply like this one (you probably have some laying around the house already) plugged into the switched outlet on my receiver so whenever the receiver came on, the fans started up. Unless you really need it running to a 110v switch, that is by far the simplest solution.

I ended up ordering 2 of these fans. 24 CFM and only 14 DBA! So they should be VERY quite.
I am going to wire them so they turn on and off with my receiver. I have actually ordered quite a bit of stuff lately for this huge project. I am about 95% finished. Just waiting for parts to arrive and I need a few other items.

Back