What's your DS4 set up?

United Kingdom
Behind you
Just curious what people use, I tried the motion control and it seemed fine, but couldn't be bothered learning it and knew it would be a pain for long sessions/races.
So my set up is
Left Stick - Steering
Right Stick - Gears
L2/R2 - Brake/Accelerator
Other buttons are shifted as I feel I need them, passing for example is put on X and/or L1 when I need that
I know some still use the D-pad and/or the right stick for Acc/Brake both of which seem really strange to me, but as long as it works for you go for it.

Left stick: Steering
Right stick: Look around/behind
Left trigger: Brake
Right trigger: Throttle
X: Gear up
Square: Gear down
Circle: Overtake
Triangle: Reverse
L1: Handbrake: (I tried this on circle for awhile and accidently hit it during a race once)
L3: Lights - and this annoys the people in front of me to no end, yet I still refuse to remap it

Last edited:
Yeah I think I should change to your lots set up, having no camera isn't often a problem but can be and although shifting is better with the stick it occasionally skips a gear and that can be really bad.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210207092457.png

I share the common features of my button layout with the other racing games I play (Driveclub and F1 2020), so here it goes!

R2/L2: Accelerate/Brake
Left Stick: Steering
Right Stick: Look Back
R1: Change camera
Circle/Square: Gear Up/Down
X: Handbrake
Triangle: Overtake/DRS

As weird as it may sound I don't find myself pressing the handbrake as much I should with this layout.

PS_App_20210128_105319.jpeg

Biggest changes are probably sensitivity maxed out at 7 and right stick to change gears up/down... for me it's a bit quicker changing multiple gears while turning. I don't think I've ever had it skip gears though... my problem is my left stick wanting to turn right :lol:

Last edited:
I use manual. I like R1/L1 since they're on separate sides of the controller much like how paddle shifts would be on a steering wheel.
I use index finger for acc/brake so hitting L1/R1 constantly isn't possible for me, I take it you use middle fingers.

Yeah, I use my middle fingers to control the pedal inputs. Not really all too difficult but I've been doing it that way for years.
Do your hands get "tired" in longer races with that setup? I'm just wondering as I just tried holding the controller in that position and it felt a bit awkward on the index/middle finger.

Do your hands get "tired" in longer races with that setup? I'm just wondering as I just tried holding the controller in that position and it felt a bit awkward on the index/middle finger.
Yeah definitely but I'm used to it. My hands get sore after a while but I can race for four hours straight with no issues. I think my issue is actually gripping the controller too tight rather than the positioning of my hands.

Last edited:
Yeah definitely but I'm used to it. My hands get sore after a while but I can race for four hours straight with no issues. I think my issue is actually gripping the controller too tight rather than the positioning of my hands.
Four hours sounds like a lot to be honest! I don't think I could stand that much racing in a row, probably because of my span of concentration being just shy of an hour. :lol:

But hey, as some people say, "if it ain't broke, don'f fix it". And if you feel your quickest and most comfortable keep it up! :cheers:

Motion control set to max steering sensitivity except for Porsche and the like which then gets set at -1
L2 brake
R2 gas
Circle button is parking brake which comes in handy for forcing a downshift when using an Automatic trans... and other reasons:guilty:
L stick camera rotation
R stick up/down shifting Manual trans
R1 switch view
And one of these wheel shells for the DS4...
shell.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few WII wheels kicking about maybe if I fitted the DS4 to that it would feel better? Doubt it though, the wheel was great for things like mario can't see it being comfortable doing a 90 min race or 4-6 daily race Cs in a row.

Steering: Motion sensor (I can't afford a steering wheel)
Accel and Brake: Triggers
Right stick: Move camera
Shift up and down: X and square
Camera controls: L1 and R1
Reverse: Triangle
Handbrake: O
MFD: Uhh the... the directional buttons?

I will change the shift up and down to be R1 and L1 and for the camera cotrol to be X and square.

Last edited:
Still dont have handbrake mapped.
My sons always telling me to spin out at the end and I always have to explain that I don't have a handbrake. I don't have it because spinning is too tempting and apart from the fact it can spoil others races I have done it too often on the penultimate lap, mostly offline so not too embarrassing still don't want the opportunity.

Rockin' it old school. D-pad, X and square. Giggidy.

Same here, using the paddles for gear shifting right now. I will hope to move accelerate/braking to the paddles eventually but concentrating on other things right now. It does affect trail braking but that is something to put on the learning track for later.

Accel/Brake : R2/L2
Shift up /down : R1/L1
Steering : left stick
Cam control : right stick
Wipers : Triangle
Ghost/Flashing : Square (TT/Race)
Handbrake : Cross
DRS/Overtake : Circle
Hi-Lo Beam switch : L3
Change view : R3
MFD : Pad

Motion control set to max steering sensitivity except for Porsche and the like which then gets set at -1
L2 brake
R2 gas
Circle button is parking brake which comes in handy for forcing a downshift when using an Automatic trans... and other reasons:guilty:
L stick camera rotation
R stick up/down shifting Manual trans
R1 switch view
And one of these wheel shells for the DS4...
View attachment 990178

Back