What's your opinion on GTS car sounds? (poll)

• Thread starter Fabr_123
  • 45 comments

The sounds are...

• Perfect, PD nailed it!

• Very good overall

• Regular, could be better

• Not good

• Terrible. What are they doing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Brazil
Brazil
fabr_123
Seeing that PD recently won a award for sound design, I was curious to know what the GTP community thinks about the sound.

Sound to me is one of the crucial points in any racing game, and it's important to be as close to reality as possible. For me, the sound in GTS is regular, with several aspects leaving to be desired, but with some good points.

What is your opinion?

Can't say perfect, because the Doppler effect seems a bit too much, and sometimes engine sounds are a bit too smooth maybe. But the sounds are all very good, as close as you can get nowadays in racing games to real life. Definitely the best available game regarding car sounds.

Although, to this day, I still hold some sounds from NFSU2 as references. That game really nailed some cars perfectly in all regards.

I have low expectations. I'm 110% fine with the way GT Sport sounds.

IMO its probably the best looking driving title on any platform simply because the light engine just works.

The sound is as good as I'd expect... I'm disappointed when people show that GT6 had better sound eg. on the GT40 MkIV but overall I give this an "almost as good as Forza 4" badge.

It's very easy to find people saying RaceRoom is infinetly better or Iracing is better while GTS is disappointing.I'm not a car sound expert but GTS sounds good,some cars better than others(787b and the F40 sounds great to me)

While not perfect*, the car sound quality is probably the best I've experienced in the series. I briefly went back to playing GT5 to re-experience some of the original tracks (Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, etc.) and couldn't get over how so many of the cars sounded like shop vacs.

*One of my main issues with GTS is the sound of the Nissan R32. It's very stuffy regardless of which cam view you use. The R34 has a similar problem, but it's not nearly as bad (perhaps that's what their real life counterparts sound like). I have no problems with the R33, though.

Everything else from environment (crowds, wildlife, etc.), tire screech, off-track surface contact (gravel, grass, etc.), kerbstones, to the pitting sequence sounds solid.

Last edited:
It felt so good when finally GT has good sounds.

For me I'd say this is very good. All I just want is improvement on the sounds and ending the vacuum cleaner jokes and hence this happened with GTS having good sounds. Not perfect but miles better than before.

Sound design means more than just how the cars sound.

You're right, but car sounds are one of the most dominant aspects of racing titles. They're what we hear the most during a race and will resonate with us a lot more while other categories are either underappreciated or unnoticed altogether.

With GT Sport they have improved a lot the sounds of the engines, this without doubt compared to the old GT, but it must be said that not all cars are still perfect with sounds and some sound worse, but they will most likely adjust over time... so great job Polyphony ! 👍

The general sound design is top notch imo.

Many of the engine sounds are very much lacking though:

Lack of proper intake sound.
Race cars sound too tame and dull in general, like road cars with a sport exhaust.
Flat plane V8 engines with cross plane sound.
Many V12 engines lacking complexity and dynamics, sounding like dull V6 engines.

There are some magnificent sounding cars in the game so PD can and should do even better.

With that being said, they've come a long way since previous titles. Just don't stop striving now.

Nowhere near as good as the GTPlanet Christmas decorations
Yeah :) Or the Santa hat smilies :gtpflag: :cheers:.

I voted "very good overall" due only for my lack of personal experience with any of the cars in the game, otherwise I'd possibly change it to "Perfect, PD nailed it!".
I have seen plenty of video of a few of the cars over my years and even a few being driven in a far more "controlled" and conservative manner in person. And for me, they have done a real good job, a huge improvement over the last couple of games 👍. Some of the older cars especially, sound amazing to me :drool:. Especially in interior mode with headphones.

Is there room for improvement? Undoubtedly. But considering these are digital recordings and there for missing some of the finer details of sound, they can still send the right signals to my insides :D.
A huge 👍 :bowdown: and :cheers: for the much needed effort by the guys in the sound department!

:cheers:

P.S (...And only somewhat related.) The option to adjust the various volumes was a pretty nice touch too 👍.

Cars that were at launch game are 50/50, only half of them sound good/realistic. DLC cars instead for the most part sound really good, main problem in game for me it’s the gearbox sound, it’s simply too loud.

There has been a decent improvement over previous titles. Some cars sound very good (SuperGT) while there are some awful examples (Diesels) too.

Much progress has been made but much work can still be done. Overall I'm fine with the quality as it is moving in the right direction.

Out of every car in the game, I have to say, the WRX Gr. 4 has the best sounds. There are also quite some cars with some nice turbo blow-off valve sounds as well, such as:

Subaru WRX Gr. B Road Car
Porsche 919 Hybrid (2016)
Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione

I chose "regular, could be better" because some sounds are very good, whilst others miss the mark completely. But it's the best we've ever had in a GT game, which isn't such a bad thing. Yet there are still some improvements to be made.

I'd say very good overall, remembering GT5 & 6's kitchen appliance sounds for so long. Painful buzzy memories.

The Pantera and DB11 have got to be near the top of my favourites list in GTS. No idea if the sound is accurate to the real cars but I don't really care. They sound great.

Sound design means more than just how the cars sound.

Certainly. What your thoughs on GTS sound design?

I'd say very good overall, remembering GT5 & 6's kitchen appliance sounds for so long. Painful buzzy memories.

The Pantera and DB11 have got to be near the top of my favourites list in GTS. No idea if the sound is accurate to the real cars but I don't really care. They sound great.

The Pantera is one of my favorites too, along with the Skyline R33.

The sounds are distinctly Gran Turismo, like all the sounds in this game. There's no mistaking them in a blind fold test. I do quite like the inclusion of the dog box whine.

I’d say they are above average and better than the previous games of course, and god bless them for granting us the option to turn down the grating and literally nauseating tranny whine.

The only odd occurrence when wearing headphones is when passing other cars, they sound in the opposite ear of the side they’re on. Passing a car on the left sounds in the right ear and vice versa, e.g. At least that’s my experience.

Headset on backwards?:D

Yeah you never know. :lol:

I think it has something to do with the lack of surround sound due to technical limitations with my buttkicker setup since my headphones are plugged directly into the TV via 3.5mm jack. Speaking of which, the sounds work great in unison with the BK device. Of course some cars are better than others, but you get good feedback over rumble strips, bumps, and the bridge seams on Tokyo circuits are nicely done.

Back