What's your opinion on GTS car sounds? (poll)

• Thread starter Fabr_123
  • 45 comments

The sounds are...

• Perfect, PD nailed it!

• Very good overall

• Regular, could be better

• Not good

• Terrible. What are they doing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ah yes the topic in which I find much to complain about.

As it stands now its a 7.5/10 for me.

When it comes to actual engine tone accuracy I would say PD has finally started putting attention to what engine the cars have (v8, v12 etc...). But they sometimes fail to produce the same pitch (some cars sounds higher pitched then they should).

Judging by the characteristic or distinctive/special/unique tone these engine produce is where PD sometimes fail to reproduce aswell on some specific cars ( the 2008 GR.2 GTR en SC430, R92CP ). The IDLE sound of some cars seems to be wrong sometimes aswell.
I can go on and on but I am sure most of these flaws gets fixed in patches most of the time so its a plus for me.

The engine volume itself tho in my opinion is too low although we have options to increase the audio, it also has to do with the fact that they tend to sound artificial and muffled/tame in some cases too.
I hope we could get better quality as the years progress or for the next instalment.

As much as I have enjoyed the Doppler effect/Fly By sound the GT series always had I do not like the overly tunnel like effect GT has.
When the cars starts approaching the camera's at a certain point you should start hearing the engine tone much clear and louder instead of a constant muffled tunnel like effect GT currently has (although it creates a good reverb sound it is too consistent in GT Sport and I feel like GT6 had this pretty spot on while missing a proper reverb and whoosh like effect).

So if the sound where to get improved I hope this one does too.

One last thing I feel like GT misses is sound occlusion, you dont really tell or hear much of a difference when approaching close environments with walls or guardrails and so on..
Only when driving in a tunnel you can hear the sound echoing through as you zoom by but it also needs to sound louder imo.

In order to increase immersion sound occlusion plays an important role in recreating realistic sounds (other racing games and non racing games tend to have a better sound occlusion recreation than what GT has imho).

These are mostly the points in which determines my answer for it to be "regular but could be better".

Ah yes the topic in which I find much to complain about.

When it comes to actual engine tone accuracy I would say PD has finally started putting attention to what engine the cars have (v8, v12 etc...). But they sometimes fail to produce the same pitch (some cars sounds higher pitched then they should).

That's one of the strong points of GTS, IMO. Improved a lot compared to GT6. Using interior view, some cars sound incredible realistic (AMG GTS, all Skylines, BMW M4 to name a few).

As much as I have enjoyed the Doppler effect/Fly By sound the GT series always had I do not like the overly tunnel like effect GT has.
When the cars starts approaching the camera's at a certain point you should start hearing the engine tone much clear and louder instead of a constant muffled tunnel like effect GT currently has (although it creates a good reverb sound it is too consistent in GT Sport and I feel like GT6 had this pretty spot on while missing a proper reverb and whoosh like effect).

So if the sound where to get improved I hope this one does too.

One last thing I feel like GT misses is sound occlusion, you dont really tell or hear much of a difference when approaching close environments with walls or guardrails and so on..
Only when driving in a tunnel you can hear the sound echoing through as you zoom by but it also needs to sound louder imo.

In order to increase immersion sound occlusion plays an important role in recreating realistic sounds (other racing games and non racing games tend to have a better sound occlusion recreation than what GT has imho).

An area that needs a lot of work. I don't think their reverb is that bad, it just doesn't work well because it's very difficult to emulate a sound that moves in an environment, and it only makes it more difficult because GTS doesn't seem to have enough sound sources (Intake, Exhaust absent). I wonder if they will add more sources in the next game.

The SOUND of car is a key part of what makes a car magical to us. It makes us look up, look around, thinking "what in the hell was THAT" when a new GT350R rips past. It's what makes you roll the window down when you pull up behind a '69 GTO at a light. It's what makes you smile when the kid two doors down rolls up in his NISMO-piped G35. It's why STI's and BRZ's and 86's are so unique. It's what makes you hold 3rd with your foot in it all the way to 60 instead of shifting. Very few cars in GTS can do that for me, yet. One listen is worth 1000 words...

One of the highlights of the game is the vastly improved sounds in GTS, leaps and bounds over GT6/PS3 era (though GT6 post 1.21 is worse...). Sure they're not perfect, there's a few offenders still, with the Beat being one, but on the whole it's fantastic. Finally up their with it's competitors in that regard.

Of the many improved sounds, it's particularly satisfying to hear to Diesel cars in GTS (specifically the prototypes; 908, R18 etc.) modeled correctly. Finally sound like they have the right engine. If anything I'd say they perhaps need to be a bit quieter in tone, with the growl of the engine being shrouded by the whoosh of it's Turbo's. Least that's the sound I associated with the Diesel Audi LMP's for years

It's not the just the raw car sounds, but all the additional FX like the chassis creaks, pops, bangs, etc , subtle things but make the difference. Though there is still a little bit more room to improve how things sound "outside" the car, with fly-by's and Doppler effect, just lacking a bit of atmosphere, plus transmission noise is still a tad too loud for most race cars. But regardless of that, the hard work PD put into improving the sounds has finally paid off once more.

Last edited:
DP seems to add the high pitch noise to every (race) car, which is exactly what I heard when watching 919 in Le Mans.
Kind of strange.

On the original Gran Turismo I used to do the license test at SSR5 all the time because I liked the sound, even though I was pretty certain that Vipers didn't sound the way that one did, especially in tunnels.

It was growly enough for me to suspend my belief for the 90 seconds of trying to avoid the walls though.
GT6 I would spend ridiculous amounts of time on SSRX (the long windy track) specifically just to rev the cars and do standing starts in the tunnels.

So now the sound has evolved to what we have in GTSport, which I think is pretty good, on first hearing it it reminded me of Race Room (not a bad thing) so kudos to PD in their quest for improvement.

As others have said though, the sound of the transmission needs winding back a bit.

But I will let them off (this time)

The SOUND of car is a key part of what makes a car magical to us. It makes us look up, look around, thinking "what in the hell was THAT" when a new GT350R rips past. It's what makes you roll the window down when you pull up behind a '69 GTO at a light. It's what makes you smile when the kid two doors down rolls up in his NISMO-piped G35. It's why STI's and BRZ's and 86's are so unique. It's what makes you hold 3rd with your foot in it all the way to 60 instead of shifting. Very few cars in GTS can do that for me, yet. One listen is worth 1000 words...

I don't think any game has got this sound right...

Nice video!!!

Adding to your comment Steve: Gran Turismo's sounds do not give you goosebumps on the neck when you play... They never have and I fear they never will.

I really don't want to discredit PD because they took a big step forward with GT Sport. Cars sound better than previous titles. That's a given but still, they are not nearly as good as other games in the market.

If you people can, try to play with the Ford Sierra Cosworth in pCars2. That thing sounds marvelous! Or any Mustang... or the McLaren F1 GTR...

P.S: I am not a pCars fanboy but credit where is due. Forza sounds are very good as well!

I hate the artificial distortion and weird electronic noises I hear in pCars and Forza. I think AC is more accurate but GT has the best sound production (onboard at least) and decent level of accuracy. I especially like the gr2 Nissan loud on headphones!

Loud is key when it comes to GTS IMO.

It's not perfect, but I really like GTS's car sounds overall :)

Some good, its better now you can eliminate the Tyre squeal and gearbox whine in options, dunno what they have done with some of the Viper sounds, they don't sound like anything I've seen on video or in real life, my fridge has a more stirring engine note.

Back