What's your preferred camera view in GTS?

• Thread starter Spade13
  • 170 comments

What's your preferred camera view?

• Cockpit View

• Third Person

• Roof View

• Bumper View

• Hood View

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is there ever going to be a cockpit view but further forward and without the wheel in view?

Forza and Project Cars can achieve this.

In GTS I play in bumper view,cause there are still cars without cockpit view as the Peugeot Vision GT GR.3 and in GT5 and 6 it was even worse with all standard cars.

Also GTS don't have proper V.O.F settings, only the possibility to upper or lower the camera or moving the camera a bit forward or backwards.

In other sims like Assetto Corsa, pcars and pcars 2 I do prefer cockpit cam with V. O. F settings.

I really enjoy both cockpit view and roof cam. I don’t like bumper nearly as much but the steering is just much more responsive so I change to it when I feel I’m disadvantaged.

each view has its pro/con,
cockpit has the best position for simulation, also I feel it is best for early detection of how the vehicle behaves, it also has the worst visibility for some cars.
I feel bumper is best for visibility, but you have to rely on tire sound heavily to know how your suspension is doing.
hood is kind the blend of the two, hood also can see better on surroundings comparatively..
ghost/chase camera is least of a choice for me, it feels like playing NFS lol..

I hope they integrate something atop of cockpit view which allows your field of view(camera) tilt toward the side of turn when you cornering to increase visibility, which in real life drivers always look at the inner apex when turning, at least to have this as option would be great.

I prefer in-car when I'm racing alone. In Sport Mode, I favour hood view because of the penalty system. Helps me judge distance between the car ahead.

It was very hard to choose between cockpit and third person, I choose third person view (with low position).
TPV in GT games has been always perfect, fixed to the center of the car and not front of the car wich looks very bad (like in Grid).

Bumper for me...i like that it has a rear view mirror and its easy on the wheel to look left and right so should have all the angles covered

Bumper cam. Cockpit is nice to look at and all but I dont have a huge tv and I already feel like im blinkered with bumper cam, so anything that takes away more of the limited visibility is a no go. Also the wheel in cockpit view is really off putting for me. I feel like I'm playing the game as a back seat driver with a remote control, the same goes for other views. The game would be really nice with multiple screens that wrap around though. OR one of these days I'll have to try VR. Does anyone know if it covers your entire field of view, I'm guessing not?

I usually use the hood view, but when I want to feel immersed into the lap and not just doing a fast lap I use the cockpit view.

I don't understand how can people use the bumper view. When I closely follow another car it's really difficult to do that.

Sometimes I will use cockpit view for fun and immersion, but if I need to drive fast or race people I really need the chase cam. It's the only way for me to know where the edges of my car are and keep my spatial awareness above absolute zero. I'm so glad they changed the chase cam during the beta to get away from that stiff and far nightmare that it was.

As for the other three views, I'd say the hood/roof cam would be the next choice to actually keep pace. The thing is I could never make sense of where the boundaries of my car are using any of the onboard views. This is something that extends to all games. I hate anything that is 1st-person because my brain just can't connect to the environment unless I can see the character or vessel interacting with it.

cockpit view all the way. It's most immersive and feels most realistic. Besides I play with HUD turned off so I have to use cockpit view.

In GT5 during the try of golding the sebastian vettel challenge with X2010 in Suzuka (remember? :cheers:) I had even tried in my desperation different views.
By that, I had the feeling I see with roof view turns better coming.

Never changed since.

I thought about go to bumper back again, cause in GTS its pretty well made and the sound is much better as by sitting on the roof. But during close racing you litteraly don't see the track anymore, so I think I'll stay with the roof view

I use hood or bumper view. I know some would say that the cockpit view is the most realistic, I disagree with that, when actually driving I'm looking out the window (up the road) not in the car.

Really i don't even look at the hood, i guess the most realistic view would really be the bumper view, but from the cockpit height.

I use cockpit view most of the time when I'm racing against the AI. When I go to Sport mode or when I'm taking part in any serious race with my friends I change to hood view.

Cockpit all day every day. Back in GT5 and 6, when I was ubber active in the drift scene, I used bonnet view, as it gave me the best view of my front corners for going door-2-door in tandems. For the last couple of years, I’ve been doing my racing in PCARS, where I forced myself to learn to use cockpit view. Now, anything but cockpit view feels completely naked :lol:

I do wish the right stick controls were a little better, for checking mirrors and looking around. I also wish that, like in PCARS, there was an option to assign seat adjustment buttons to a USB keyboard or button box, so that you can adjust the seating position inside the car. Also wish we had some options to adjust the FOV.

The only time I don’t use cockpit is in cruise and car show lobbies, where sometimes I’ll use 3rd person to check out other people’s cars. I really really wish that in 3rd person, the right stick could be used to circle the camera around the car. That’s one thing that really irritates me with GT games

I prefer the roof cam that they use in GtSport As I find it gives me a great view of the track infront allows an advantage over crests being higher, in more aware of my cars surroundings coupled with the radar I find it easy to work with, I also have a bigger field of view with cars beside me in my view
I can run really close to cars without my view being massively impaired and accureately place my car

It also gives me an orientation of the car with a slide so I can see the attitude directly of the car when I’m inputting steering or throttle or braking as well as feel (I use a wheel)

I could only use cockpit if I had triple screens or VR as not being able to look left or right or just have any field of view is really difficult for me to race with

I used to use bumper but since this view has been added to games I’ve stuck with it also since the graphics improved over the years seeing the car in the same shot is also nice to see, especially in gtsport with the livery you’ve worked for ages on or just downloaded that looks mega aha

I use hood or bumper view. I know some would say that the cockpit view is the most realistic, I disagree with that, when actually driving I'm looking out the window (up the road) not in the car.

Really i don't even look at the hood, i guess the most realistic view would really be the bumper view, but from the cockpit height.

You look out the window and at the cockpit, how would you know when to shift precisely otherwise? Unless you drive automatic...

You look out the window and at the cockpit, how would you know when to shift precisely otherwise? Unless you drive automatic...
Tbh you can listen to the car
Also you have a hud so you can see the revs but as a realistic view point it is better as all you are doing in cockpit view is narrowing your view due to not being able to move your head
I know what your saying though but the only way in my opinion that cockpit is the most realistic is with triple screen or VR as it gives you the dimension to look around and see more realistically

Initially with no experience I used bumper. Next bonnet. Now I prefer cockpit more feedback from the car.
Wheel user.
Also hello GT Planet. Mid 40’s guy here. Use the wheel because it would be impossible for me with all those buttons haha. The last video game I played was street fighter 2. This game is very fun. BS at moment.
As far as view I am fastest in car and enjoy in car most-no brainer.

There's a reason why more and more cars have head up displays these days. I have both tachco and speedo displayed on my road car windscreen so I don't have to take my eyes off the road and look down at the instrument cluster.

head-up-display.jpg

I also use bumper cam in GT Sport but much prefer a proper bonnet/dash cam in games where it's an option (hint hint PD).

There's a reason why more and more cars have head up displays these days. I have both tachco and speedo displayed on my road car windscreen so I don't have to take my eyes off the road and look down at the instrument cluster.

View attachment 757075

I also use bumper cam in GT Sport but much prefer a proper bonnet/dash cam in games where it's an option (hint hint PD).
Doesn’t matter how much HUD info you have on the windshield of your car....that windshield is held up by A-pillars that don’t disappear from sight. You learn to look through them, but they’re there. Saying bumper view raised to cockpit height is the most realistic is silly.

Unless you have complete tunnel vision while driving your car, you’ll see the A pillars, the bonnet, the top of the steering wheel, the dash, your side mirrors, your gauges, etc, in your peripheral vision. Bumper cam offers none of this, making it very unrealistic.

Anyone who’s half decent at driving a car doesn’t actually need to look at the gauges directly, you can easily keep track of the tachometer with your peripheral vision (or a simple shift light), and in racing, speedometers aren’t used. Putting HUDs into road cars that display RPM and speed are nothing more than a gimmick.

If a person has to literally take their eyes off the road to check their speed or rpm, I would question whether or not that person should be driving.

The fov that one is actually focusing on is really small. So, if you don't sit 10 meters away of your TV, what you describe from driving a real car also happens in cockpit view. You focus on the window and look outside.

What bumper view does is, it gives you the opportunity to look at stuff that you wouldn't see sitting in a real car. That's not realistic, that's convenient.

Problem with both views is, you can't turn your head. That makes cockpit view unrealistic as well, but it's a problem both camera options have.

In some cars, the windshield reflections are so bad you can hardly see anything, so I use hood/roof cam (same cam just varies per car where they put it). On formula cars I prefer the cockpit view most of the time.

Doesn’t matter how much HUD info you have on the windshield of your car....that windshield is held up by A-pillars that don’t disappear from sight. You learn to look through them, but they’re there. Saying bumper view raised to cockpit height is the most realistic is silly.
I didn't say it was. I was referring to this quote ''You look out the window and at the cockpit, how would you know when to shift precisely otherwise? Unless you drive automatic''. The fact that I do not look at the cockpit in my car I look out the window and can still see my tacho on that window, thus no need to drive an auto.
Unless you have complete tunnel vision while driving your car, you’ll see the A pillars, the bonnet, the top of the steering wheel, the dash, your side mirrors, your gauges, etc, in your peripheral vision. Bumper cam offers none of this, making it very unrealistic.
I can't see two steering wheels in my car either and yet I can in cockpit view, and by simply shifting my eyes I can see a whole central mirror and my side mirror in my car, not half the central mirror and virtually none of the side mirror as in cockpit view. Not very realistic either is it?

Anyone who’s half decent at driving a car doesn’t actually need to look at the gauges directly, you can easily keep track of the tachometer with your peripheral vision (or a simple shift light), and in racing, speedometers aren’t used. Putting HUDs into road cars that display RPM and speed are nothing more than a gimmick.

If a person has to literally take their eyes off the road to check their speed or rpm, I would question whether or not that person should be driving.
Not all cars in racing games are race cars so they do have speedo's, and yes you can see your speedo in your peripheral vision but I would question how you can actually read your speedo without shifting your eyes to look directly at it. There's also a reason why shift lights are positioned as close as possible to a drivers line of sight in race cars, just as an head up display is. I don't know if you've ever used an head up display but if you have you'd know they're far from a gimmick.

I also stated this ''but much prefer a proper bonnet/dash cam in games where it's an option (hint hint PD)''. I do however use cockpit view in some open wheeled race cars in GT Sport.

Back