What's your preferred camera view in GTS?

• Thread starter Spade13
  • 170 comments

What's your preferred camera view?

• Cockpit View

• Third Person

• Roof View

• Bumper View

• Hood View

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can't see two steering wheels in my car either and yet I can in cockpit view, and by simply shifting my eyes I can see a whole central mirror and my side mirror in my car, not half the central mirror and virtually none of the side mirror as in cockpit view. Not very realistic either is it?
An option to turn off the wheel and hands in cockpit view would be greatly welcomed, but I don’t think the fact you see double wheel in cockpit view makes bumper view the most realistic.

Not all cars in racing games are race cars so they do have speedo's, and yes you can see your speedo in your peripheral vision but I would question how you can actually read your speedo without shifting your eyes to look directly at it. There's also a reason why shift lights are positioned as close as possible to a drivers line of sight in race cars, just as an head up display is. I don't know if you've ever used an head up display but if you have you'd know they're far from a gimmick.
If you’re racing, regardless if it’s a street car with a speedo, you don’t need to look at the speedo, it’s irrelevent information. If you’re Sunday driving, you should be able to glance at your speedo for a split second, just like you do with your mirrors.

Furthermore, you should learn your gauges. All you need to see out of your peripheral in regards to the gauges, is the needle. Based purely off the position of the needle, you should know roughly what speed and or rpm you are at. You should not have to get out the reading glasses to read the actual numbers on the gauges.

Shift lights are in all kinds of random places in cockpits. Sometimes, yes, they’re close to the driver’s LoS. Other times, it’s a simple light inside the Tach itself, in the dash. It’s not any different than your high-beam indicator. It’s a tiny light in the corner of your dash, but even when focusing out the windshield, you can still see that little blue light. Human eyes and brains have exceptional ability to detect motion in our peripherals - so you’ll notice a tiny little light inside the cockpit flick on, even if you’re starring at a braking marker 200m away, and that light can be quite far away from your direct line of sight.

The HUD in a roadcar, for speed and rpm info, it’s a gimmick man, they got you :P. If it’s a HUD that has night vision that can do things like highlight wildlife on the side of the road, then there’s some use for that in driving in public roads. Just speed and rpm though, that’s useless info on a hud.

I would seriously question what kind of driving you’re doing on public roads that you feel you need that info right in your face. I would highly doubt you’re redlining your car between stop lights on a regular basis, so you don’t really need to know specific rpm, you can just go off of sound and feel. If you’re respecting speed limits, again, you shouldn’t really need to monitor your speedo that closely with that much accuracy. In fact, I would argue that constantly having that info directly in a driver’s line of sight, causing the driver to pay more attention to it, is more distracting and less safe than an occasional split second glance at the dash.

If you’re taking your car to a track day.....all you need is a shift light. You don’t need to watch the rpm numbers jump up on a digital display, that’s just distracting. Watching your speedo on a track is also considered a no no. If you want to do things like study apex speeds, or exit speeds, get a data logger and check that info in the paddock, not while you have your foot to the floor at 170km/h.

And yes, I have driven a Cadillac that had HUD, and “gimmick” was literally the first thing that popped into my head.

Anyways, we’re pretty off topic here. End of the day, cockpit view in GTS could use some improvement, but in my opinion, it’s far more realistic than bumper view.

bumper: I can race on bumper, is better to see the track limits, but it feels like my ass is wiping in the asphalt and all cars are that same, I mean, there is no car at all, just the sound. But there is the amazing mirror.

hood: No mirror. Still I use it with back looking and radar, works ok if you get used, can say that now because I was able to avoid tons of bombers yesterday. The problem is on endurance, you need the radar, but you also want to change the engine power, so you have to cycle all around from radar to engine power - this eventually leads to breaking points missed, mirror should always be present no matter what - its a safety part of the car.

A tip for hood users: in the sound setting set the gears sound to max, it wont overcome all the rest of the audio like in bumper but you will hear the gears when they are really on high RPM`s - sounds so cool!

An option to turn off the wheel and hands in cockpit view would be greatly welcomed, but I don’t think the fact you see double wheel in cockpit view makes bumper view the most realistic.

If you’re racing, regardless if it’s a street car with a speedo, you don’t need to look at the speedo, it’s irrelevent information. If you’re Sunday driving, you should be able to glance at your speedo for a split second, just like you do with your mirrors.

Furthermore, you should learn your gauges. All you need to see out of your peripheral in regards to the gauges, is the needle. Based purely off the position of the needle, you should know roughly what speed and or rpm you are at. You should not have to get out the reading glasses to read the actual numbers on the gauges.

Shift lights are in all kinds of random places in cockpits. Sometimes, yes, they’re close to the driver’s LoS. Other times, it’s a simple light inside the Tach itself, in the dash. It’s not any different than your high-beam indicator. It’s a tiny light in the corner of your dash, but even when focusing out the windshield, you can still see that little blue light. Human eyes and brains have exceptional ability to detect motion in our peripherals - so you’ll notice a tiny little light inside the cockpit flick on, even if you’re starring at a braking marker 200m away, and that light can be quite far away from your direct line of sight.

The HUD in a roadcar, for speed and rpm info, it’s a gimmick man, they got you :P. If it’s a HUD that has night vision that can do things like highlight wildlife on the side of the road, then there’s some use for that in driving in public roads. Just speed and rpm though, that’s useless info on a hud.

I would seriously question what kind of driving you’re doing on public roads that you feel you need that info right in your face. I would highly doubt you’re redlining your car between stop lights on a regular basis, so you don’t really need to know specific rpm, you can just go off of sound and feel. If you’re respecting speed limits, again, you shouldn’t really need to monitor your speedo that closely with that much accuracy. In fact, I would argue that constantly having that info directly in a driver’s line of sight, causing the driver to pay more attention to it, is more distracting and less safe than an occasional split second glance at the dash.

If you’re taking your car to a track day.....all you need is a shift light. You don’t need to watch the rpm numbers jump up on a digital display, that’s just distracting. Watching your speedo on a track is also considered a no no. If you want to do things like study apex speeds, or exit speeds, get a data logger and check that info in the paddock, not while you have your foot to the floor at 170km/h.

And yes, I have driven a Cadillac that had HUD, and “gimmick” was literally the first thing that popped into my head.

Anyways, we’re pretty off topic here. End of the day, cockpit view in GTS could use some improvement, but in my opinion, it’s far more realistic than bumper view.
All this babble is for what? I never said bumper view is the most realistic, so I stopped reading at that.

All this babble is for what? I never said bumper view is the most realistic, so I stopped reading at that.
A few paragraphs is too much to handle? Must be rough :(

Most of what I wrote was in regards to your claims that a HUD in a road car is not a gimmick, which it is.

A few paragraphs is too much to handle? Must be rough :(

Most of what I wrote was in regards to your claims that a HUD in a road car is not a gimmick, which it is.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. From my perspective anything that keeps peoples eyes on the road more often is an safety feature (they don't just display tacho and speedo). I have my reasons for this and it revolves around distracted drivers, but I don't see continued discussion of this getting us anywhere in relation to this thread.

IMG_20180807_083708.JPG

Bumper view

I prefer cockpit in most sims except for GTS due to lack of a virtual mirror. A proper mirror is essential imo when racing other cars. So i use bumper instead.

Why this game doesn't have dash cam, have they ever explain the reason? They should at least make better adjustable cockpit cam, so you can move the camera further.

Last edited:
I started out using bumper cam but I had a difficult time after they added Sarthe, it seemed like you were always driving slightly uphill and often couldnt see the road and apex in front of the car so I switched to roof cam. But then after a while I tried the in car cam and call me weird if you want but it almost seems that its easier to drive with the in car cam because PD slows down the speed of the game, I found out that I was a little quicker and found the car easier to drive precisely. The biggest problem with in car cam is that on some cars the reflection from the inside of the windshield is so bad that you can hardly see the track at some sun angles. If it want for that glare on the inside of the windshield I would probably use in car all the time.

Hood view all day for competition, the rest are for fun. Seriously, try and enjoy all views but you must learn to race in hood if you want to claim the last tenths.

Almost always dashboard view. Few rare situations I use bumper cam, due 2D dashboard of some cars limits view so badly there's no other choice.

If I would have almighty sorcerer powers, I would forbidden and ban all chase camera usage from driving games altogether. Chase cam for driving is all wrong. For sure I would allow it for replays.

Dash view 95% of the time.

The other 5% is bumper cam.

The problem is that with some tracks dash view obscures where the track goes on certain cars.

Yes chase cam is all kinds of wrong... this isnt GTA5 etc.

I do get that there are certain advantages with chase cam esp. in online situations vis a vis. situational awareness but its not reallly driving a 'sim' is it.

The same argument about bumper cam is that every car you're driving feels like a very fast version of a Toyota Hi-Ace.

I use bumper cam when competing in our Gr.4 endurancerace races because we have a strong policy on clean racing and sometimes cockpit view is not the best. The rest of my game play is always in cockpit view.

Last edited:
I wonder how good it would be if you could have the option to "lock" the camera view when creating a room. It seems a bit draconian but...

Thoughts?

Nice. The 60 lapper at Grand Valley. Wonderful memories.

I find all but the chase view uncomfortable. Probably dates back to my RadRacer days.

I use Bumper cam 100% of the time, I want to like the Hood cam because it’s higher and seems like it would be better in traffic but I can’t get used to it, maybe someday. :)

I wonder how good it would be if you could have the option to "lock" the camera view when creating a room. It seems a bit draconian but...

Thoughts?

That's one of many options I would like to see added into the lobby Settings.

There might be no benefit to it other than pure immersion but that's what would make it cool knowing everyone in your race is driving from the same perspective. I have to admit though there are other options I would much rather see in the game before something like this.

There was only 1 car ever made that could do that (that I'm aware of). Can you guess the model?
Hint: It was made by Lexus.

I always use cockpit view or bumper cam if the car has no interior view. I don’t know why you’d want to use the roof or exterior views. I know of at least one person who plays with a wheel but uses exterior view, what a fool.

I always use cockpit view or bumper cam if the car has no interior view. I don’t know why you’d want to use the roof or exterior views. I know of at least one person who plays with a wheel but uses exterior view, what a fool.

I have tried chase cam a few times and I still cant understand why someone would use that view. It's like you are standing on the decklid of the car and trying to drive.

I generally use third person but will often switch to bumper especially on the nurburgring north. Never use any of the others.

Back