What's your preferred camera view in GTS?

• Thread starter Spade13
  • 170 comments

What's your preferred camera view?

• Cockpit View

• Third Person

• Roof View

• Bumper View

• Hood View

Results are only viewable after voting.
PRE VR, I always played Cockpit, and wouldn't even purchase car games that don't offer a cockpit view.

Since playing VR, I find playing cockpit on a flat screen too restrictive! So I play with bumper cam

Looking forward to the day when VR is the norm in racing games, it's so immersive and brilliant

The other reason I like bumper cam is my rig set up, I can see my wheel and hands so don't feel the need to replicate this in game

I would have used cocpit, but the fact that almost everyone uses either hood or bumber gives me a huge disadvantage. So I'm using bumber view.

PRE VR, I always played Cockpit, and wouldn't even purchase car games that don't offer a cockpit view.

Since playing VR, I find playing cockpit on a flat screen too restrictive! So I play with bumper cam

Looking forward to the day when VR is the norm in racing games, it's so immersive and brilliant

The other reason I like bumper cam is my rig set up, I can see my wheel and hands so don't feel the need to replicate this in game
I’d like to be able to turn the hands and wheel off like in PCars but it doesn’t bother me that much.

I’d like to be able to turn the hands and wheel off like in PCars but it doesn’t bother me that much.
You race in the marmite league right? As my PSN name is Legacy-8, yours stood out when I was watching a fellow league racer The_Bag_

I tend to be fastest in cockpit view but during races, I tend to use bumper just for safety.

The other views simply don't work for me, especially kite-cam.

This is my experience as well, I am much faster in cockpit view but the field of view in this game is incorrect and cockpit just doesn't work in a race. I use bumper view in the race but if you are right behind someone you really have to go on feel.

Previously I used bumper for speed and cockpit for fun. Same with TCS. For the last several months I’ve only used cockpit and zero TCS.

Getting the correct FOV, practice, and using your view buttons along with radar help.

I'm curious. Traditionally I used to play Project Cars 2 in cockpit view but when I got my PS4 Pro and GTS I found that most of the fastest racers were using either bumper cam or hood cam. Other sim racers like in iRacing use cockpit view. I realize that a lot of this boils down to personal taste but is there a common denominator with the fastest racers and bumper cam view?

Which view do you use and why? I float between bumper and hood in GTS and cockpit on PC2

Headcam is the only way. If cars were meant to be driven from right at the front, thats where the seats would be. DISCLAIMER: I BELONG IN D RANK, AND THIS IS AN OPINION

I drive cockpit for imersion and hood/bumper for serious racing. I personally just wish there were more consistency with the cameras... Hood cam changes so much bettween cars, are we on the roof or hood? For example. Cockpit seems to vary to much between cars also, even though you can tweak it a little. Can't tweak it anywhere near enough however...

I play on chase/third person.

I've tried racing on bumper and roof view, and it feels so uncomfortable for me. :(

Look, just boot up the game right now, time trial or whatever, cockpit view.

Pick the Dodge Viper road car, the newer one.

now rev hard. See that? Yeah, the tach just glowed red with a badass cobra all up in there. Uhuh. Now try tell me bumper is better.

Whatever view I'm in the mood to use to be honest. Usually cockpit in solo if the view is good, first person if it is not and Roof/Bonnet online.

I realize that a lot of this boils down to personal taste but is there a common denominator with the fastest racers and bumper cam view?

If i had to guess, I'd day Bumber view was the best option since GT1 and a lot of people got used to that, including me.

Hood view gives you a better view of the apex and road ahead but I prefer bumper to control the car for example.

You have people like @TRL LIGHTNING who uses bumper view. And @Igor Fraga who uses hood view.

It's a matter of getting used to one or the other IMO.

Last edited:
Look, just boot up the game right now, time trial or whatever, cockpit view.

Pick the Dodge Viper road car, the newer one.

now rev hard. See that? Yeah, the tach just glowed red with a badass cobra all up in there. Uhuh. Now try tell me bumper is better.
I would guess its a viper, not a cobra. Shelby might sue.

It used to be bumper camera at first because I couldn't stand the delayed steering wheel animations while steering with R3. I switched to interior view when I started steering with the controller's built-in motion sensor. Not only did it make my steering inputs far more precise, but my movements also translated perfectly to the steering wheel animation. So interior view it is, and in some cars I adjust the camera height to taste!

Was roof until I found you could reduce the transmission whine! Now it's bumper. Just couldn't stand the noise, so much better now!

Only two major objections to the cockpit view offerings:
1. Seat position and mirror visibility: inside and door mirror should be fully in-view, and unobstructed by lap info, OR a virtual mirror should be an option on all cars. I'll accept a little artistic license with mirror position realism for better rearward vision.
2. REFLECTIONS! I've driven a few cars (RS.01?) where the first thing that would happen after a shakedown lap would be the crew chief getting in the car with a can of flat black Rust-O-Leum and hosing down the whole dash top. I get that GTS has brilliant visuals, but the whole dash reflection thing is just overkill.

The first time I had to switch views was running nations (my first fia)
None of the cars I tried for gr1 had a decent view of apex. I went with hood view. I know the track well, but if I can’t even see the apex...
The gr1 I really like is the Nissan Lemans car, I could have used it in cockpit, and on fresh tires, I think it could have been a competitive car. Tire wear put me off the attempt tho.
One thing re side mirrors in cockpit, many seem pointless when you just hop in, but often they are useful to see behind when cornering in race due to the weird angle it seems like they have.

2. REFLECTIONS! I've driven a few cars (RS.01?) where the first thing that would happen would be the crew chief getting in the car with a can of flat black Rust-O-Leum and hosing down the whole dash top. I get that GTS has brilliant visuals, but the whole dash reflection thing is just overkill.
Yeah, this is unfortunately true. I love the Lexus LC500 for taking important conference calls about my investment portfolio whilst drifting with that absolutely gutteral v8 bouncing off the limiter, but the beige dash reflection is way too crazy so I haven't driven it in ages

Does anyone find themselves getting a little bored with the view mid-race and switching cameras on the fly?

It depends on the situation. Anyway, sometimes I switch to chase view for a brief moment, but the lack of camera rotation means I rarely bother.

Cockpit view in GTS is excelent in my opinion , the problem is that it's not as performant as bumper or roof view. (no 3 monitor option and not even the money to instal such system if it was possible)
I would like to see PD forcing the cockpit view for DR A events (just not for GR1 submarine cars)
I'm really waiting for the full VR PS5 game.
Also i don't like bumper view , i need to see something in front of me. Roof cam is my option for the moment , i don't understand why PD don't put miror or side view in this driving option , just for safety reasons.

Cockpit view in GTS is excelent in my opinion , the problem is that it's not as performant as bumper or roof view. (no 3 monitor option and not even the money to instal such system if it was possible)
I would like to see PD forcing the cockpit view for DR A events (just not for GR1 submarine cars)
I'm really waiting for the full VR PS5 game.
Also i don't like bumper view , i need to see something in front of me. Roof cam is my option for the moment , i don't understand why PD don't put miror or side view in this driving option , just for safety reasons.

Yes. I had a little trouble since I had to use it (roof) gr1. It’s not as easy to hit the lookback button if you are used to cockpit.

Latest Posts

Back