Wheel Drift: Impossible

• Thread starter Mr_Nubinz
  • 113 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise that's not a real setup? Run 70-80% stiff upfront and around 50-65% still on the rear. Your setup suits a FWD car but will make a RWD understeer?

The reason I make the rear stiff is simple: I lock my diff because I want both wheels to spin at the same speed. I 'lock' the suspension because I want the weight on the rear axle to be averaged out as most as possible.

I make the front end looser because when touching curbs in GT6 cars tend to be unpredictable. The looser a suspension is, the more lee-way it gives for correcting mistakes.

The physics aren't though and neither are the fundamentals of drifting :lol:

On a controller, you need the car to drift a set curvature as well as it can with minimal controller input variaton.

On a wheel you have the sensitivity in the steering to have a large range of control allowing very personalised styles.

On GT5 I tried ono's setup on my s13 and I really couldn't manage with it! But then with us both on our individual setups we can follow an identical line and angle through a corner.

Trust me dude, two years of plentiful GT5 sessions on a DFGT and a few weeks in the middle where I was forced to my DS3, I'm not trying to BS you :P

Lol, stiff rear = no grip, considering we all use plastic tires aka comfort hard it's quite funny.

By the way you make the rear spring rate lose because in return you make your ARB stiff.

I have two years of real world drifting/tracking experience with my 240sx, and I have to say gt6 is doing a proper job of modeling how cars behave. That being said I'm noticing how now, my g27 seems to only interpret what the front wheels are doing. Ive used my g27 since day one on gt5 and I confirmed by playing gt5 today that the wheel would give you a feel of the cars overall balance. I understand that the new suspension and physics modeling are now more acurate than ever, but it seems they forgot that we no peripheral vision or having an ass-ometer relay the cars g forces to us. So we are going in with half the feel and a quarter of the vision. It makes it difficult. What I would stress to you is using a tune from a real life version of your vehicle if you can find one. Kaz has a twisted view of what drifting is given his experience in yoshiharas competition car. A fully purpose built high grip, high power vehicle designed purely to slide. Those of us using street ready missles have our cars set up for grip, and I mimicked my actual cars tune to my 240 in the game and am now making better progress with the transition control that's been plaguing us for the past few days. Hopefully this helps in some way, its not entirely easy to explain.

I have 3 years of drifting in my 240sx Coupe.
10/8 coil-overs, lowered ride height, welded diff, SR20det on 11psi,
Strut bars, 17" wheels, and fully adjustable suspension.
I'm a consistent, controlled, and precise driver.

GT6 Sucks

I'm going back to GT5.
"GT5 Hacked" is the true GT6.

The reason I make the rear stiff is simple: I lock my diff because I want both wheels to spin at the same speed. I 'lock' the suspension because I want the weight on the rear axle to be averaged out as most as possible.

I make the front end looser because when touching curbs in GT6 cars tend to be unpredictable. The looser a suspension is, the more lee-way it gives for correcting mistakes.

Just stop typing.

You do realise that's not a real setup? Run 70-80% stiff upfront and around 50-65% still on the rear. Your setup suits a FWD car but will make a RWD understeer?

That person your quoting knows nothing about what they are talking about, don't you realize that?
LOL!

Everyone drifts diferently mate.

I personally use a very balanced setup technique, but I can see how dom's would work, giving good control in the rear wheels.

+ you don't use a wheel :P, everythings very different!

Um no, there is no way to "Drift differently".
There is only one way to drift and if you do not do it right, you are not drifting. This isn't digital art where you can come up with ur own way of drawing. Drifting has a way that needs to be done by everyone in the same manner and fashion regardless how you do it. If you do not do it right, then you are not doing it right, period.

I have two years of real world drifting/tracking experience with my 240sx, and I have to say gt6 is doing a proper job of modeling how cars behave. That being said I'm noticing how now, my g27 seems to only interpret what the front wheels are doing. Ive used my g27 since day one on gt5 and I confirmed by playing gt5 today that the wheel would give you a feel of the cars overall balance. I understand that the new suspension and physics modeling are now more acurate than ever, but it seems they forgot that we no peripheral vision or having an ass-ometer relay the cars g forces to us. So we are going in with half the feel and a quarter of the vision. It makes it difficult. What I would stress to you is using a tune from a real life version of your vehicle if you can find one. Kaz has a twisted view of what drifting is given his experience in yoshiharas competition car. A fully purpose built high grip, high power vehicle designed purely to slide. Those of us using street ready missles have our cars set up for grip, and I mimicked my actual cars tune to my 240 in the game and am now making better progress with the transition control that's been plaguing us for the past few days. Hopefully this helps in some way, its not entirely easy to explain.

Most people here probably don't even have a drivers license.

I have 3 years of drifting in my 240sx Coupe.
10/8 coil-overs, lowered ride height, welded diff, SR20det on 11psi,
Strut bars, 17" wheels, and fully adjustable suspension.
I'm a consistent, controlled, and precise driver.
GT6 Sucks

I'm going back to GT5.
"GT5 Hacked" is the true GT6.

Cute.

Last edited:
There is only one way to drift and if you do not do it right, you are not drifting. This isn't digital art where you can come up with ur own way of drawing. Drifting has a way that needs to be done by everyone in the same manner and fashion regardless how you do it. If you do not do it right, then you are not doing it right, period.
You obviously didnt get his point...

Drifting is a performance, a dance, an art.

As an example, it's the same way that in skateboarding;

To do a kick-flip, the board must leave the ground, roll 360 degrees and land back on it's wheels.

But every skater has their own style and personality to how they skate. However minuscule in variation and skill level, there's always a unique style, if not only visually, but as a mentality when planning to complete the trick/initiation/transition/tandem.

I've never seen someone talk so strongly about a completely contradictory theory to what drifting is all about!

You obviously didnt get his point...

You obviously didn't get mine.

Drifting is a performance, a dance, an art.

To you, that is probably what drifting is... But it is not what drifting stands for.
There is only one way to drift, drifting doesn't have any styles and doesn't have any art. The reason this stands is because drifting consist of fundamental techniques that everyone needs to use. You can't just make up your own special technique to drift. Every car that "drift" just looks the same exact way... Sideways while entering the curb, straight while coming out. If it doesn't look like that... You are not drifting. When I used to drift back in my speedway when I opened it for the public to use, everyone loved me because of one unique thing I would do before hitting the curb. I would do a full 360 (clockwise) before coming to the curb, by the time I get into the curb, my car is already "dancing" sideways. I lay down the manual clutch control and just side-swipe glide the curb perfectly, once I'm coming out of the curb my car was already in perfect line to just accelerate out. Now that is drifting "with" style/art/dance/whatever you want to call it. The only way you can make yourself "unique" while drifting the "normal" way is how you time the things you do. Timing isn't exactly something that is unique, again... You either get it right or you don't.

To make things even more clear to you of the point I am getting at, on a skateboard you can see a person's body, you can see what they do, you can see how unique they can be while doing what they do. In a car, you only see the car, you don't see the person's body, or the face they make or anything like that. Only way you make yourself unique in a car is based on the things you do before the main event.

Last edited:
This is one the more upsetting things I've read on the forum.

If you fail to see the varying styles of drifting, I'm not sure you are looking at it in the right perspective. What's the point in competition or even doing it at all if its not a form of expression.

Last edited:
Oh I would love to see car drifting that dosen't take the curb sideways while sliding... People still don't understand what my point is; "Every drift looks the same when done right".

I agree. Anyone who's payed attention on a global scale will recognize that styles are distinct between not only countries but the class of vehicle used.

And deeper than that!

Oh I would love to see car drifting that dosen't take the curb sideways while sliding... People still don't understand what my point is; "Every drift looks the same when done right".

You are defining 'right' as a set path in a competition round?? Because ooh boy there's a lot more to drifting than that :D

Hey this is drifting, not drag racing. It's all about angle and speed should not be mentioned.

Speak for yourself, while drifting is not about speed if you drift slowly you're boring to watch.
A good drifter can get both speed and angle. By the way my comment about grip wasn't inducing the speed factor but more the fact that with a poorly setup car you're more doing moving burnouts than actual drifting.

You obviously didn't get mine.

To you, that is probably what drifting is... But it is not what drifting stands for.
There is only one way to drift, drifting doesn't have any styles and doesn't have any art. The reason this stands is because drifting consist of fundamental techniques that everyone needs to use. You can't just make up your own special technique to drift. Every car that "drift" just looks the same exact way... Sideways while entering the curb, straight while coming out. If it doesn't look like that... You are not drifting. When I used to drift back in my speedway when I opened it for the public to use, everyone loved me because of one unique thing I would do before hitting the curb. I would do a full 360 (clockwise) before coming to the curb, by the time I get into the curb, my car is already "dancing" sideways. I lay down the manual clutch control and just side-swipe glide the curb perfectly, once I'm coming out of the curb my car was already in perfect line to just accelerate out. Now that is drifting "with" style/art/dance/whatever you want to call it. The only way you can make yourself "unique" while drifting the "normal" way is how you time the things you do. Timing isn't exactly something that is unique, again... You either get it right or you don't.

To make things even more clear to you of the point I am getting at, on a skateboard you can see a person's body, you can see what they do, you can see how unique they can be while doing what they do. In a car, you only see the car, you don't see the person's body, or the face they make or anything like that. Only way you make yourself unique in a car is based on the things you do before the main event.

Sorry I'm just going to say it you're obviously new here... No one likes what you have to say as it's all complete and utter garbage/personal opinion.

To the OP. Sorry I dont have anything constructive to say other than keep practicing, I actually have been enjoying the new physics.

Sorry I'm just going to say it you're obviously new here... No one likes what you have to say as it's all complete and utter garbage/personal opinion.

Coming from people that probably never touched a car in his/her life.

Elexy just means cars must have wheels to drift.

You are actually close to my point, but not 100%.
:P

:lol: Oooooooh is that what she means? :dopey:

Edit: What do you know about my driving past again?? Oh nothing that's right. :dopey:

Let me try this, here we have 2 different drivers, what's the difference between the 2 other than they are driving different cars:
side-by-side-drifting.jpg

Nothing.
Because they are both drifting the only way drifting is meant to be done. If you doing something wrong, your car won't look this perfect.

Enough said.
If you can't understand that, then you are simply either 13 years old, or have your head stuck on NFS and other video games instead of real life. There is only ONE WAY to drift and it only looks ONE WAY when done right.

I agree with the drifting style issue.
As in, you are either good or reaaaally good.
Meaning perfect, no gas lift, maximum speed and angle, tail to the wall, and nose on the apex.
That's what we strive for.
But there are 2 variations that I can really see which are smoothness and aggression level.
But, aggressive is what I think we should aim for.
I'm more of a smooth driver myself.
If I'm swigging back caffeinated drinks, then I'll be more aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back