wheel drifting.

Northern Ireland
ireland
Xxshenaniganx
how long did it take people who switched over from the ds3 to wheel to learn to drift again, i ve had my wheel now a week or so and i can not get the hang of it at all, i cant initiate a drift i can hold a drift and even by some chance i get a small drift going when i come out of the drift the car fly's off the track.

i tried countless of cars from a standard s13,s14,ae86, rx7 fd and fc all with around 200-250 bhp with drift set ups and no set ups and even tried some cars with a little more bhp and still no good, i can drift fine with the controller no problems.

now i no it can take a while to get use to but even after a week i should be seeing some improvement shouldn't i?

could nearly rip the wheel off the stand and throw it away.:grumpy:

Xxshenaniganx
how long did it take people who switched over from the ds3 to wheel to learn to drift again, i ve had my wheel now a week or so and i can not get the hang of it at all, i cant initiate a drift i can hold a drift and even by some chance i get a small drift going when i come out of the drift the car fly's off the track.

i tried countless of cars from a standard s13,s14,ae86, rx7 fd and fc all with around 200-250 bhp with drift set ups and no set ups and even tried some cars with a little more bhp and still no good, i can drift fine with the controller no problems.

now i no it can take a while to get use to but even after a week i should be seeing some improvement shouldn't i?

Well more than a week man. It will take a month before you start getting the hang of it.

It took me at least a few months to get the hang of it; to be able to hold a drift well. I got my wheel in January and just this week I started being able to link corners and use the handbrake effectively to link a whole track. It's definitely a whole new ball game.
edit-But once you get it it's such a great feeling throwing the wheel into a nice slide, just keep with it.

Lucky for me, I learned how to drift with a wheel from switching to a ds3 in about half a day. For some people it may take a little longer to get used to it.

I am also a GTP Driving and Drifting School instructor; there's no need to rip the wheel apart in frustration. I can give you drifting lessons using your wheel if you like.

EDIT: A good drifting tip is to make sure that you have easy access to a handbrake, as you will need this for drifting like a pro.

I sucked big time in my first few weeks (maybe month) so a few weeks is nothing. Keep at it, it's all about steering and throttle control. When you can figure out (subconsciously) how to use the both together, you'll do better.

It will take some people, if not most, well over a month to pick it up. I've been at it for a little over 2 months on and off (with the clutch) and now see vast improvements. I also find that you shouldn't "overkill" it, take breaks, don't try to be a pro so soon. I usually went about an hour or so at a time then stopped. If I find myself making stupid mistakes (that I know shouldn't happen ordinarily), I'd stop.

One huge tip is, make sure you have your wheel on something very solid. I was using a tv tray table that was wobbly and had a hard time with the countersteering and exit, I now mounted it to my desk and it made a HUGE difference.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Even after switching to a wheel for racing, I alternated between it and DS3 depending on whether I was racing or drifting. I think it ultimately took me longer to get used to the wheel for drifting but it may have been a smoother transition because I knew what not to do, that should be done for the fastest lap times.

Even after switching to a wheel for racing, I alternated between it and DS3 depending on whether I was racing or drifting. I think it ultimately took me longer to get used to the wheel for drifting but it may have been a smoother transition because I knew what not to do, that should be done for the fastest lap times.

One tip for learning how to drift with a wheel: Put your DS3 out of sight so you are not tempted to use it for drifting. Otherwise you will never learn how to drift with a wheel. I drift with my wheel so much, I can't even drift properly with a DS3 anymore. I now use my DS3 as a handbrake.

It depends on the frequency of how much you play the game, but I'd suggest getting used to racing with a wheel before trying to drift.

One tip for learning how to drift with a wheel: Put your DS3 out of sight so you are not tempted to use it for drifting. Otherwise you will never learn how to drift with a wheel. I drift with my wheel so much, I can't even drift properly with a DS3 anymore. I now use my DS3 as a handbrake.

Weird outcome for me, I can drift on my DS3 and G25.

Been a while since I last used DS3 for drifting, I now use my T500RS exclusively for racing and drifting.

Thanks, I still desperately need a TH8RS though.

g1338829017243160175.jpg

Last edited:
rotflmao.gif

It's true though, the T500 has the paddles and I didn't take into account how much I love to row (especially when drifting). Plus the TH8 isn't exactly cheap.

The wheel isn't cheap either :lol: . And it isn't compatible with a lot of games on the console compared to other wheels. It should be compatible with all racing sims on the PC though 👍 .

Oh but i did XD

To the OP it took me about a month to start getting the hang of it 2 months before i could kinda tandem with people and 3 months before i really felt comfortable behind the wheel.

I took me almost a month to get the hang of my dfgt because I try to drift full throttle ad then i notice I need to be care ful with my throttle control and steering control

Back