• Thread starter Stotty
  • 39 comments

Stotty

My other car's a Porsche
Premium
United Kingdom
London
GTP_Stotty
Played AC for the 1st time last night. A couple of hours, split between 991 Carrera at Nurb, a low powered single seater ‘special event’ (can’t remember the exact car/track, but it’s multiple laps with time running out - on page one of the events) and a Lotus (59?) at old Monza event (TT, on page one).

A few comments/questions (admittedly based on limited playing time)… PS4, G29, default wheel settings, auto clutch, auto blip, ABS, all other assists off.

Heard lots of positive comments about AC physics, but not really feeling it on 1st play… all 3 cars had a lot of understeer (on entry and mid corner), and seem to require a cornering strategy of turning in very early to get to the apex (which compromises exit line).

None of the 3 cars I drove had any ‘feeling’ of ‘rotation’ in to the corners.

Very little feel for braking grip threshold… important when trail braking.

Very little warning of late/sudden oversteer in the Lotus… particularly on the exit of Parabolica, where the car would feel to be gripping well under power, only to suddenly snap in to oversteer late in the corner.

The 3 cars I drove had a good feeling of weight, but I’m getting very little feel for weight transfer through the wheel – either lateral or squat/dive.

I know it takes time to get the feel for a game, but wonder if I’m missing something in the wheel settings that’s not giving me the right feedback – and I don’t want to waste valuable driving time (or spend hours tweaking wheel settings) if there’s a quick fix.

At this stage AC FF seems significantly less detailed than GT6, and I know and respect enough people on the AC threads to think I’m not getting the full experience.

Thoughts?

I'll second eclipsee 's comment. There's nothing like jumping in at the deep end with some of the hardest cars at the hardest track ;-)

I would suggest you try something a little easier like a GT3 car at your other favourite circuits.

I use a Thrustmaster T300 My wheel settings are:

FFB = 43 (G29 you may need to go higher)
Kerbs = 40
Road = 50
Slip = 20
Understeer = OFF (on makes it very slippery on the front)

I too have come from years of GT5/6 and know exactly what you are saying because I have felt the same way. Start to use the "slow in, fast out" method and the game will come to you.

Lastly, the old cars have "OLD" tyres on them that you wouldn't use on you wheelbarrow now so it is unlike GT6 where you could fit soft, modern tyres. You need to factor this in too.

Played AC for the 1st time last night. A couple of hours, split between 991 Carrera at Nurb, a low powered single seater ‘special event’ (can’t remember the exact car/track, but it’s multiple laps with time running out - on page one of the events) and a Lotus (59?) at old Monza event (TT, on page one).

A few comments/questions (admittedly based on limited playing time)… PS4, G29, default wheel settings, auto clutch, auto blip, ABS, all other assists off.

Heard lots of positive comments about AC physics, but not really feeling it on 1st play… all 3 cars had a lot of understeer (on entry and mid corner), and seem to require a cornering strategy of turning in very early to get to the apex (which compromises exit line).

None of the 3 cars I drove had any ‘feeling’ of ‘rotation’ in to the corners.

Very little feel for braking grip threshold… important when trail braking.

Very little warning of late/sudden oversteer in the Lotus… particularly on the exit of Parabolica, where the car would feel to be gripping well under power, only to suddenly snap in to oversteer late in the corner.

The 3 cars I drove had a good feeling of weight, but I’m getting very little feel for weight transfer through the wheel – either lateral or squat/dive.

I know it takes time to get the feel for a game, but wonder if I’m missing something in the wheel settings that’s not giving me the right feedback – and I don’t want to waste valuable driving time (or spend hours tweaking wheel settings) if there’s a quick fix.

At this stage AC FF seems significantly less detailed than GT6, and I know and respect enough people on the AC threads to think I’m not getting the full experience.

Thoughts?

So..couple of months later.
Still playing or is AC collecting dust? :lol:

So..couple of months later.
Still playing or is AC collecting dust? :lol:

Hey buddy 👍

Yes, still playing... mainly the hotlap and quick race events, with an occasional trip on line. Loving the Porsche's :)

"At this stage AC FF seems significantly less detailed than GT6"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: *facepalm*

Even though I enjoy the game, the way AC implements FF on a G29 is inferior to GT6. Car physics was a bit hit and miss in GT6, but FF implementation on G series wheels was very good. With AC, there's a massive FF deadzone that makes it over difficult to place cars accurately on turn in, and when trying to correct tiny slides on exits. I'm somewhat used to it now, but still frustrates from time to time.

Even though I enjoy the game, the way AC implements FF on a G29 is inferior to GT6. Car physics was a bit hit and miss in GT6, but FF implementation on G series wheels was very good. With AC, there's a massive FF deadzone that makes it over difficult to place cars accurately on turn in, and when trying to correct tiny slides on exits. I'm somewhat used to it now, but still frustrates from time to time.
Is there a way to reduce the degrees of rotation of G29 with cars that have such a problem,to see will this help.
I'm not rude,it was just a question.
Ok :)

Hey buddy 👍

Yes, still playing... mainly the hotlap and quick race events, with an occasional trip on line. Loving the Porsche's :)

I've got the exact same issue with Assetto.It just seems that something is not quite right with the g29 ffb implementation,I keep coming back on every update hoping that they've got rid of the huge central deadzone that just kills the game for me,only to be disappointed.

I've got quite a few online friends running Thrustmaster who are enjoying the magical handling that I so want to find,but the more setups I try the more I'm thinking there's either a G29/AC problem or this just isn't going to be the racing game for me.

I've got the exact same issue with Assetto.It just seems that something is not quite right with the g29 ffb implementation,I keep coming back on every update hoping that they've got rid of the huge central deadzone that just kills the game for me,only to be disappointed.

I've got quite a few online friends running Thrustmaster who are enjoying the magical handling that I so want to find,but the more setups I try the more I'm thinking there's either a G29/AC problem or this just isn't going to be the racing game for me.
I would say its a G29/AC issue rather than a general issue with AC.

I'm running a T300 and have no deadzone issue at all (apart from cars that should in reality have a degree of deadzone - i.e. the old Maserati's).

I would say its a G29/AC issue rather than a general issue with AC.

I'm running a T300 and have no deadzone issue at all (apart from cars that should in reality have a degree of deadzone - i.e. the old Maserati's).

Given G series wheels worked perfectly on GT games in the past, I'd say how AC interfaces with the G29 is the issue... the wheel is capable of running with zero FF deadzone, just not in AC.

To clarify... it's not a steering deadzone (the cars steer when you move the wheel), it's a FF deadzone (as in there's no FF until you have c.10* of lock applied).

Given G series wheels worked perfectly on GT games in the past, I'd say how AC interfaces with the G29 is the issue... the wheel is capable of running with zero FF deadzone, just not in AC.

To clarify... it's not a steering deadzone (the cars steer when you move the wheel), it's a FF deadzone (as in there's no FF until you have c.10* of lock applied).
I would agree its an issue with how AC talks to the G29, however no FF at all until you get to that level of lock is just odd and certainly not something I've found with the T300 (or my old T150).

Hey buddy 👍

Yes I recognise your experience.Haven't played long enough if it''s an issue with certain cars/tires or if the wheel does cause this.
I missed your tag in the seasonal rankings of GT for a while and was wondering what you were runnin' these days :lol:
Race on mate:tup:
:cheers:

The thrust master gives better feedback indeed compared to the G.Unfortunately I blew 2 of these wheels in a month time,so the experience was a bit short to notice the dead zone story for this type of wheel :lol:

Yes I recognise your experience.Haven't played long enough if it''s an issue with certain cars/tires or if the wheel does cause this.
I missed your tag in the seasonal rankings of GT for a while and was wondering what you were runnin' these days :lol:
Race on mate:tup:
:cheers:

I hadn't played GT in months, and had no real desire to start racing again until my brother-in-law gave me an old PS4 at New Years (when he upgraded to a Pro)... then I picked up a G29 for £129, so it was cheap enough even if I ended up not playing it that much.

It's an enjoyable game (the physics are decent, and it has Porsche :D), but there are a lot of details in AC that could be so much better for virtually no effort.

Frustrations are forgotten when I jump in the 991GT3 Cup car for some laps though :)

Hi Stotty, what settings for ffb within AC main menu are you using, I am like you in being quite disappointment with the experience. I got hooked on PC version, VR is awesome, upgraded to PS4 recently just to get this game as Pcars didn't appeal

I am really struggling to get the decent FFB and the over steer on some cars is crazy, I am a decent driver and know how to apply throttle on corner exit etc and the basics, but I am at a point after 4 weeks of almost firing up the PS3 and going back to GT6.

what settings are you using for FFB?? sorry meant to add that, the good number of hours i put in on my mates PC was using same wheel, g29, this was back before Xmas though, so a few updates ago, but Im sure the deadzone wasn't as bad on PC.

Last edited:
If i remeber correctly, Stotty is one of the quick alien guys in GT6?? I remeber your names from the seasonal events threads in GT6.

Anyways, I also played GT6 before this. The biggest difference i found is not related to FFB but grip level. GT6 has unrealistically too much grip and that is why spinning out is less of an issue when exiting the corner when there is still plenty limit on grip. Another is suspection physics. AC will punish driving style which is not smooth. Pay close attention to tire noise, once you hear it, you are reaching the limit. A bit more push will spin you out. Certain cars are just too crazy. KTM will spin out when you slightly brake during turning. Some cars just does not allow trail braking in stock settings. Another is tire temp, in the first lap without tire blanket, you will be slower than when the tire is warm.

In regarding FFB settings, turn off everything because they are canned effect and will just saturate the feel to be numb. Just put the main setting somewhere between 60 to 70. I gurantee you that you will see a major improvement.

Last edited:
Do the consoles have a minimum force adjustment in the FFB controls? That should help with the deadzone.
You know console players don't need that sort of thing*...

Just marvel at our "Advanced" menu. :sly:

Lh0Jt5N.jpg

* Said someone at Kunos.

Bizarre. I know PC didn't have it for a long time but it's a very useful option that's pretty common in most PC sims and would help address the deadzone issue. What an embarrassing state the console version is in...the PC version is already pretty bare bones and when you take half of that away I'd struggle to find a reason to play it.

Sorry for delayed response... haven't been back to this thread in a while!

Hi Stotty, what settings for ffb within AC main menu are you using, I am like you in being quite disappointment with the experience. I got hooked on PC version, VR is awesome, upgraded to PS4 recently just to get this game as Pcars didn't appeal

I am really struggling to get the decent FFB and the over steer on some cars is crazy, I am a decent driver and know how to apply throttle on corner exit etc and the basics, but I am at a point after 4 weeks of almost firing up the PS3 and going back to GT6.

what settings are you using for FFB?? sorry meant to add that, the good number of hours i put in on my mates PC was using same wheel, g29, this was back before Xmas though, so a few updates ago, but Im sure the deadzone wasn't as bad on PC.

I'm using just the main setting (all others at zero)... set to c.75% (for me, some cars are better on 100, some on 50, but I'm not constantly changing FF levels)

Deadzone causes 2 specific issues for me...

1) Corner entry to fast bends (that require minimal steering lock)... as I apply lock there's no resistance... then I suddenly get all the FF... which massively changes with rate of wheel rotation and results in it being hard to place the car precisely.

2) Corner exits... feel a tiny bit of oversteer, apply a tiny amount of counter steer, but no feel for where the right amount of lock is until suddenly you get full FF... which usually results in a vicious snap back.

Doesn't ruin the game, but can be frustrating with some cars.

If i remeber correctly, Stotty is one of the quick alien guys in GT6?? I remeber your names from the seasonal events threads in GT6.

Anyways, I also played GT6 before this. The biggest difference i found is not related to FFB but grip level. GT6 has unrealistically too much grip and that is why spinning out is less of an issue when exiting the corner when there is still plenty limit on grip. Another is suspension physics. AC will punish driving style which is not smooth. Pay close attention to tire noise, once you hear it, you are reaching the limit. A bit more push will spin you out. Certain cars are just too crazy. KTM will spin out when you slightly brake during turning. Some cars just does not allow trail braking in stock settings. Another is tire temp, in the first lap without tire blanket, you will be slower than when the tire is warm.

In regarding FFB settings, turn off everything because they are canned effect and will just saturate the feel to be numb. Just put the main setting somewhere between 60 to 70. I gurantee you that you will see a major improvement.

Ah, thanks for the praise... could always get a decent TT ranking, but I've always been a level below the proper Aliens :)

See above for FF settings/thoughts 👍

My thoughts after a couple of months with the game...

For me, the difference between GT and AC is a combination of tyre model and physics. I could criticise GT, but in all honesty I had 1,000's of hours of enjoyment playing the various versions of GT over the years... it's an awesome franchise IMO.

IMO, the main difference for me between AC and GT is not the amount of grip, but the way the 2 games model the grip limit...

In GT, the grip limit is super wide... meaning, at the limit, the car always felt like it was sliding to some extent. This allowed you to 'back the cars in to a corner', using the screwed up tuning model to build huge amounts of rotation in to pretty much anything. This always felt a touch unrealistic to me.

In AC (some cars are are exceptions to this), the grip limit is much more defined, and for the most part this feels more realistic. However, there are some oddities to how the cars handle which still don't feel right to me - not sure if this is the physics model, the tyre model, or how FF is implemented on a G29.

I've always been a smooth driver rather than the 'chuck it in and sort it out' kind... and the FF deadzone doesn't help here.

You certainly can't slide the cars around like in AC like you could in the GT series!

In relation to the above discussion... I just ordered a T300.

Will come back with feedback once I've had time to play and get used to it... hopefully the end of the deadzone.
@Gravitron has AC on PC, and uses my old T500. I'm not sure how the available settings compare between PS4 and PC, but it would probably be worth it to get his settings from him and try them out.

I bought AC for PC as well, but have not spent much time on it. I thought the cornering feedback was pretty good, but was struggling with braking.

That's of course with the Fanatec Clubsport, so a totally different realm to the G29.

EDK
@Gravitron has AC on PC, and uses my old T500. I'm not sure how the available settings compare between PS4 and PC, but it would probably be worth it to get his settings from him and try them out.

I bought AC for PC as well, but have not spent much time on it. I thought the cornering feedback was pretty good, but was struggling with braking.

That's of course with the Fanatec Clubsport, so a totally different realm to the G29.

Hi buddy - long time no speak!! Still plumcrazy? Still racing?

Setting options will be same as for G29... so basically just FF strength unless you want to add artificial overlays... I'm just trying to get rid of the permanent FF deadzone on the G29... once some lock is applied the G29 is OK, but the deadzone is a constant irritant.

What struggles did you have with braking?

Hi buddy - long time no speak!! Still plumcrazy? Still racing?
Yeah, moved to Boise 18 months ago, so the Challenger gets a winter break. It's under the cover that came with the car in the garage with a battery tender hooked up, I expect to get it out in the next couple of weeks. Have to go get a smog check done anyhow.

Still racing, here's some rain slicked Laguna Seca action from a couple months ago. It might be July before my next race, though. Scheduling conflicts for the teams I normally run with.

What struggles did you have with braking?
Struggles with braking..........it was not GT6? :lol:

It might be we are describing something similar, I normally trail brake to aid initial turn in on GT, and could not get the same sensation. It felt like I was braking early, but if I braked any later, I could not make the corner.

EDK
Yeah, moved to Boise 18 months ago, so the Challenger gets a winter break. It's under the cover that came with the car in the garage with a battery tender hooked up, I expect to get it out in the next couple of weeks. Have to go get a smog check done anyhow.

Still racing, here's some rain slicked Laguna Seca action from a couple months ago. It might be July before my next race, though. Scheduling conflicts for the teams I normally run with.

Struggles with braking..........it was not GT6? :lol:

It might be we are describing something similar, I normally trail brake to aid initial turn in on GT, and could not get the same sensation. It felt like I was braking early, but if I braked any later, I could not make the corner.

That looks mighty slippery!!

I trail brake too, and I don't get the same feeling of knowing right where the grip limit is in AC I got with GT... you do have to brake earlier in AC (vs GT) as the braking distances are longer... try the events... if you can gold them (well, some of them), you're on the right lines.

That looks mighty slippery!!
It was the starting stint on a Sunday, the track had been soaked overnight and I got some mist in the stint as well. Maybe a 40 car field and I passed all but 2 of them (An E36 and a Miata). It was one of those stints that I knew what position I was in getting out of the car, didn't need to be told we were in 3rd. :)

It was slick for sure, but manageable. The car stepped out in predictable places, bascially the watch out points in the rain are the same as in the dry. Much nicer than some of the other rain racing I've done, no totally unpredictable snaps.

I trail brake too, and I don't get the same feeling of knowing right where the grip limit is in AC I got with GT... you do have to brake earlier in AC (vs GT) as the braking distances are longer... try the events... if you can gold them (well, some of them), you're on the right lines.
Yeah, I will give it more of a shot at some point. Still doing the WRS thing, and it's hard to change between games.

EDK
It was the starting stint on a Sunday, the track had been soaked overnight and I got some mist in the stint as well. Maybe a 40 car field and I passed all but 2 of them (An E36 and a Miata). It was one of those stints that I knew what position I was in getting out of the car, didn't need to be told we were in 3rd. :)

It was slick for sure, but manageable. The car stepped out in predictable places, bascially the watch out points in the rain are the same as in the dry. Much nicer than some of the other rain racing I've done, no totally unpredictable snaps.

Yeah, I will give it more of a shot at some point. Still doing the WRS thing, and it's hard to change between games.

3rd... great job 👍 You've come a long way since you started racing!

I only play one game at a time for that very reason.

Back