Wheel help for PS4 on a budget

The T300 feels much, much better than the GT3 RS or the G27. Both of those are decent wheels but if your budget can afford the T300 then go with the Thrustmaster. After using the T300 for a while the GT3 RS feels very mushy and slow, I'd have a hard time going back to it. (Also, the GT3 RS has a horrible mounting mechanism and it puts the wheel at a weird angle.)

Does the GT3RS have a dual mount system like the Turbo S?
If so then yes the clamp mount is not very good but if you use the threaded mount it is rock solid.

I still have a Turbo S but upgraded to the CSR Elite shortly after its release.

Another Porsche wheel owner here... I still have my GT2 and can compare directly with the T300, T500 and G25....

Apart from the Alcantara rim, every other aspect of the GT3RS/GT2 (same internals, GT2 just has Xbox360 wireless support added) is worse than a T300. It has more resistance, less powerful and less informative FFB, uncomfortable 9:3 hand position, worse paddle shifters, dreadful desk clamp (you need to hard mount it or buy the expensive clubsport desk clamp). It is basically 3 years older tech, and that shows everywhere.

In addition the Porsche wheels are only guaranteed to work with pCARS on the PS4 at the time of writing. Future support for games like GT7 is entirely unknown. Maybe Fanatec will get PD to play along, maybe not. The T300 is officially PS4 licensed and *WILL* work in any future PS4 racer.

If you already own a Porsche wheel, then enjoy it with pCARS on the PS4, but if you are buying a brand new wheel I seriously advise budgeting for modern technology if you can afford it.

Another Porsche wheel owner here... I still have my GT2 and can compare directly with the T300, T500 and G25....

Apart from the Alcantara rim, every other aspect of the GT3RS/GT2 (same internals, GT2 just has Xbox360 wireless support added) is worse than a T300. It has more resistance, less powerful and less informative FFB, uncomfortable 9:3 hand position, worse paddle shifters, dreadful desk clamp (you need to hard mount it or buy the expensive clubsport desk clamp). It is basically 3 years older tech, and that shows everywhere.

In addition the Porsche wheels are only guaranteed to work with pCARS on the PS4 at the time of writing. Future support for games like GT7 is entirely unknown. Maybe Fanatec will get PD to play along, maybe not. The T300 is officially PS4 licensed and *WILL* work in any future PS4 racer.

If you already own a Porsche wheel, then enjoy it with pCARS on the PS4, but if you are buying a brand new wheel I seriously advise budgeting for modern technology if you can afford it.
I totally agree with this 👍

VBR
Because many people do not live in America. Here in Europe the bundles you mentioned are not on the Fanatec website. The GT3 wheel sells for 239.95 Euros which is $268.54. The CSR Pedals sell for 99.95 Euros which is $111.86. So the whole lot is 339.90 Euros which is $380.40 - PLUS SHIPPING!

I recently bought some second hand Fanatec stuff, waiting for that to be delivered.

:D

Ah, I figured it was available for everyone. I don't have the money to spend on a T300, and the fact I have a G27 now I would have to shell out for the pedals and lose my h-pattern shifter. For that money I would just build a PC.

If I can sell my G27 and pick up the CSR bundle with the side shifters it would only cost me about $110 plus shippinng. Way cheaper than a T300 or PC and I still get good (IMO) pedals and side shifters. FFB isn't a big issue for me. The FFB is better than the G27 on the Fanatec wheels from what I hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I figured it was available for everyone. I don't have the money to spend on a T300, and the fact I have a G27 now I would have to shell out for the pedals and lose my h-pattern shifter. For that money I would just build a PC.

If I can sell my G27 and pick up the CSR bundle with the side shifters it would only cost me about $110 plus shippinng. Way cheaper than a T300 or PC and I still get good (IMO) pedals and side shifters. FFB isn't a big issue for me. The FFB is better than the G27 on the Fanatec wheels from what I hear.

If you can get a cheap deal, go for it. Wish I lived in America sometimes!

👍

Are you sure it's just for pCARS? The Fanatec website shows PS4 support for the CSR. I'd find it hard to believe it would only work for one game.

Don't know if it's possible, but couldn't you theoretically replace the motor in the CSR with a brushless motor? Don't see why you couldn't.

You theoretically could but I imagine it would be a huge pain and more expensive than just buying a wheel with a brushless from the beginning. A brushed motor uses different controller than a brushless system, brushless requires back emf to control it. If someone was very familiar with brushless dc controllers they might be able to do for not to much money, but I suspect it's way more hassle than it's worth.

The FFB on the GT3 isn't really any better or worse than the G27. It's slightly different, but not better. If you want the best bang for your buck get the GT3 RS with the CSR Elite pedals and the CSR shifter kit. You'll be FAR happier spending a little extra coin on the load cell pedals (and faster) than you would be with the T300 and its craptastic pedals. Then down the road you can upgrade to the T300 (might be cheaper by then) and have excellent pedals with it.

If you're going to splurge on anything, splurge on the pedals. The CSR Elite's are fairly reasonable on price and are a very good bit of kit, and a good brake pedal makes a bigger difference than a better wheel. The box even says so, as you open it the flaps say "A good wheel feels nice, but good pedals make you faster". 👍

So I'm someone who has been using a G27 on PS3, but I need to get a new wheel. I don't have much knowledge on Fanatecs, but I would like to know how they feel compared to a T300? Or maybe someone could point me in the correct direction to find the information I need? :)

Type T300 and fantec GT3 review into YouTube there are plenty out there to give you a good idea how you want to part with your cash

The FFB on the GT3 isn't really any better or worse than the G27. It's slightly different, but not better. If you want the best bang for your buck get the GT3 RS with the CSR Elite pedals and the CSR shifter kit. You'll be FAR happier spending a little extra coin on the load cell pedals (and faster) than you would be with the T300 and its craptastic pedals. Then down the road you can upgrade to the T300 (might be cheaper by then) and have excellent pedals with it.

If you're going to splurge on anything, splurge on the pedals. The CSR Elite's are fairly reasonable on price and are a very good bit of kit, and a good brake pedal makes a bigger difference than a better wheel. The box even says so, as you open it the flaps say "A good wheel feels nice, but good pedals make you faster". 👍

I'm on an extremely tight budget so I'm looking at the cheapest way to get onto pCARS already owning a PS4 with a G27. I like my G27, it feels good. I don't need the top of the line wheel, never have. I used my DFGT until about 2 years ago. If I sell my G27 for $200 (thats what I see them going for in good condition) and pick up the CSR wheel and pedal combo for $250 plus the CSR shifter set for $60 that puts me on pCARS for PS4 for a total of $170 including the game.

It may not be brushless motor FFB or load cell pedals, but for me it's more about immersion and training. I get a good wheel for cheap with all the options (clutch, h-pattern, and sequential) and I like how you can adjust spring and damper settings on the fly and the pedals are fully adjustable.

I'm on an extremely tight budget so I'm looking at the cheapest way to get onto pCARS already owning a PS4 with a G27. I like my G27, it feels good. I don't need the top of the line wheel, never have. I used my DFGT until about 2 years ago. If I sell my G27 for $200 (thats what I see them going for in good condition) and pick up the CSR wheel and pedal combo for $250 plus the CSR shifter set for $60 that puts me on pCARS for PS4 for a total of $170 including the game.

It may not be brushless motor FFB or load cell pedals, but for me it's more about immersion and training. I get a good wheel for cheap with all the options (clutch, h-pattern, and sequential) and I like how you can adjust spring and damper settings on the fly and the pedals are fully adjustable.

Not sure what pedals that combo comes with but if you can get the CSR Elite's with the load cell it will be the single biggest improvement you can make to your rig and your racing experience. Plus, it will make you faster and more consistent. 👍

Not sure what pedals that combo comes with but if you can get the CSR Elite's with the load cell it will be the single biggest improvement you can make to your rig and your racing experience. Plus, it will make you faster and more consistent. 👍

It comes with the base CSR pedals. Comparable to the G27 pedals IMO.

It comes with the base CSR pedals. Comparable to the G27 pedals IMO.

If there's any way you can upgrade to the Elite's (they have the load cell and share a lot of their components with the big daddy ClubSport pedals) I can promise you won't regret it. Upgrading my pedals was by far the best thing I've ever done for my sim racing hobby (right up there with going to triple screens). It's probably not very much to upgrade to the Elite's, it will be some of the best money you've ever spent because it makes a huge change (for the better) to the overall experience. HUGE! I came from the G27 pedals, inverted in a custom enclosure and with the Nixim mod, I loved those pedals but the Elite's are in a higher class and I'd go back to my G27 wheel before ever giving up my CSR Elite pedals.

Not trying to harp on it or anything, just making sure you're aware. If you can't afford them then the standard pedals will be fine, but if you want to really improve the experience I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend grabbing the Elite's. 👍

:cheers:

If there's any way you can upgrade to the Elite's (they have the load cell and share a lot of their components with the big daddy ClubSport pedals) I can promise you won't regret it. Upgrading my pedals was by far the best thing I've ever done for my sim racing hobby (right up there with going to triple screens). It's probably not very much to upgrade to the Elite's, it will be some of the best money you've ever spent because it makes a huge change (for the better) to the overall experience. HUGE! I came from the G27 pedals, inverted in a custom enclosure and with the Nixim mod, I loved those pedals but the Elite's are in a higher class and I'd go back to my G27 wheel before ever giving up my CSR Elite pedals.

Not trying to harp on it or anything, just making sure you're aware. If you can't afford them then the standard pedals will be fine, but if you want to really improve the experience I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend grabbing the Elite's. 👍

Ok ok you've convinced me! :lol:

Ok ok you've convinced me! :lol:

I eagerly await your review! The brake pedal is stiff, and it needs a week or so to "break in" and lose some of that stiffness. It will take a little while to get used to but eventually you'll learn that it's not how far you push it but how hard you push it.

If I play on the PS3 I have to use the Thrustmaster pedals which have a very soft pedal with a lot of travel. When I put the Elites back on the pedal feels so stiff I wonder how I ever race with it, but after a half dozen laps I've adjusted to it and it feels natural again.

Back