Wheel Offset

United States
MN
JFRESH651
Hey everyone, feels weird posting here again after so many years. Anyways, I was wondering if there are any specific wheels that have a little more poke or like a lower offset...gotta set up the whips gangsta status. :)

drifterboy77
Hey everyone, feels weird posting here again after so many years. Anyways, I was wondering if there are any specific wheels that have a little more poke or like a lower offset...gotta set up the whips gangsta status. :)

Nope, you're stuck with the tragic stock offset. No +45 gangster ish unfortunately...

Yeah, only a few cars have anything half decent. I won't drive the s15 silvia because it looks so ridiculous with the offset of the rear wheels. It would be a nice to add a feature to change wheel offsets.

nah the best looking car in the game is the s13 K's in lime green two tone with stock rims and painted carbon hood,

lowered to like 12 / 10

all I do is drive back and forth up and down the hairpins in eiger short track for like an hour in a 99 lap 1make race,
then I crack a beer and take photos

Yeah, only a few cars have anything half decent. I won't drive the s15 silvia because it looks so ridiculous with the offset of the rear wheels. It would be a nice to add a feature to change wheel offsets.

Is the width the same thing as the offset? Cause on the S15, it needs more of both. The car looks like a sheep..

Is the width the same thing as the offset? Cause on the S15, it needs more of both. The car looks like a sheep..

The width and offset are not the same thing, but a wider wheel with the same offset would have a similar effect to a lower offset wheel.

To elaborate, width is from lip to lip and the offset is from hub to outside lip. Negative offset would mean there is more dish to the wheel because the hub to outside lip measurement would be greater than the hub to inside lip, and vice versa for positive offset wheels.

Jesus
To elaborate, width is from lip to lip and the offset is from hub to outside lip. Negative offset would mean there is more dish to the wheel because the hub to outside lip measurement would be greater than the hub to inside lip, and vice versa for positive offset wheels.

Offset is actually the distance from the center line of the wheel to the "pad" or the part of the wheel that actually touches the hub. Positive offset moves the "pad" to the outside, making a smaller "lip". Negative offset does the opposite and gives a larger "lip".

Offset is actually the distance from the center line of the wheel to the "pad" or the part of the wheel that actually touches the hub. Positive offset moves the "pad" to the outside, making a smaller "lip". Negative offset does the opposite and gives a larger "lip".

Yes but thats way too confusing if you're explaining it to someone, plus you can't actually move (lets call it) the plate on the wheel so no one gets confused. You can alter technical offset with spacers though.

Yes but thats way too confusing if you're explaining it to someone, plus you can't actually move (lets call it) the plate on the wheel so no one gets confused. You can alter technical offset with spacers though.

I'll admit, it can be a hard concept to grasp with just words. So maybe this link would help.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WheelOffsetCalc.html

The point I was trying to make is that offset has nothing to do with the distance from the pad / plate to the lip of the wheel.

Unlike the S15 there are a few cars with decent stance/wheel fitment in my opinion
5214106702_88dafa1e48_b.jpg

Kyoto%20-%20Gion_2.jpg

5473814033_c542493df6_b.jpg

*not my photos

I'm not sure if this is on topic, as the focus seems to be on how sucky the s15 looks . . .
it IS a question related to offset:
In downhill skateboarding we use offset wheels. The offset is such that more of the wheel is to the outside of the hub than the inside, except unlike cars, when you turn on a downhill skateboard your weight is on the inside wheel. Without this offset (if it was center set), your weight while steering would be too much on the outside edge of the inside front wheel. with this offset the weight is more evenly over the contact patch.

Now, most rims I see on cars are backwards from this, the hub is almost all the way to the outside of the wheel and the brakes are in behind, so it would seem the outside front tire while turning would not be weighting the inside half of the tire as much, unless of course there was suspension with some camber.

so my question is : the more the hub is inside the wheel on the car, then you don't need this expensive suspension, and you can weight the whole contact patch more evenly more constantly,
or is camber desirable for having on the inside tire while you countersteer in a drift
- if so, is there any performance value for offset or is it just to make this car look better?

This is basically as full suspension setup as you get, with lots of equipment to ensure the best grip by adjusting everything and anything.

gallery_33905_3638_12369.jpg

In everyday driving its not really a problem as you aren't going fast enough to cause understeer or huge roll. In time attack you can just adjust the suspension to dial it out.
When it comes to drifting, however, it's inevitable.

jag_0002

sooo offset just comes down to if you want to run wider tires but don't want the hub all the way on the outside then you use a rim thats' got the same distance from the hub to the inside ?

sooo offset just comes down to if you want to run wider tires but don't want the hub all the way on the outside then you use a rim thats' got the same distance from the hub to the inside ?

It doesn't matter how big the wheel is. But if you where to run a wider wheel you would run a lower offset so it will fit under the arches.

> .>
<. <
> .>
<. <
who says you want them to fit > .>

U know what though ? I'm just not gonna worry about it until it's a tuning option in the games, or I have the money make a fun car.

> .>
<. <
> .>
<. <
who says you want them to fit > .>

U know what though ? I'm just not gonna worry about it until it's a tuning option in the games, or I have the money make a fun car.

If they're too far in the arches, they will look stupid. If they're further out than the arches, it's illegal to have on the road and some race venues.

Back