Wheel & Pedals: What do you wear to race?

United States
United States
I've come from a background of track racing and have found the new video games a really great substitute when I can't get on the track--which is never enough. While I spend most of my time on Project Cars, FM7 has some great cars that I love.

But, as I work to get better wheel and pedals (I have a TX-XW Sparco wheel and TP3A pedals now), I'm curious as to what people wear when they race with wheel and pedals? Shoes, socks, barefeet, or...?

I wear a pair of normal socks and then on top of those I wear heat holder "grips" (rubber pattern on the sole). I find shoes impossible with a sim racing wheel & pedals.

I wear a pair of normal socks and then on top of those I wear heat holder "grips" (rubber pattern on the sole). I find shoes impossible with a sim racing wheel & pedals.

Yup. Gotta have socks or bare feet. Its funny because my racing booties are right there next to my computer, but i'm not lacing those up and i don't need the fire protection (hopefully my computer doesn't spontaneously combust!) Usually my heel and toes are straight up "big toe, little toe" affairs, but its also kind of hilarious how good of a touch you can have on the brake pedal with all the feel provided by no shoes.

Someday i'll be able to include VR goggles into the whole getup, but we're not quite there yet (with VR being cheap and available enough for me to make the purchase.)

I've come from a background of track racing and have found the new video games a really great substitute when I can't get on the track--which is never enough. While I spend most of my time on Project Cars, FM7 has some great cars that I love.

But, as I work to get better wheel and pedals (I have a TX-XW Sparco wheel and TP3A pedals now), I'm curious as to what people wear when they race with wheel and pedals? Shoes, socks, barefeet, or...?

I hate the feel of my bare feet against pedals so I must wear socks, but at the same time I don’t like using shoes on my pedals so yeah. No gloves unless I had a very nice rim attatched like the TS-PC rim but I normally use the standard T300RS one so no need.

In real life (In Karting at least) I have no issues using gloves and shoes. Not because it’s the regulations though haha

Edit: Just regular socks I might add, whatever I was wearing last.

Since I am using a pedal without a loadcell brake and a digressive clutch pedal, I wear socks. I use to wear a pair of Fireside Slippers, but they were years old, and I tossed them out a few months ago. Now that the snowy season is back I'll be able to find them at the store pretty easily.

Yup. Gotta have socks or bare feet. Its funny because my racing booties are right there next to my computer, but i'm not lacing those up and i don't need the fire protection (hopefully my computer doesn't spontaneously combust!) Usually my heel and toes are straight up "big toe, little toe" affairs, but its also kind of hilarious how good of a touch you can have on the brake pedal with all the feel provided by no shoes.

Someday i'll be able to include VR goggles into the whole getup, but we're not quite there yet (with VR being cheap and available enough for me to make the purchase.)

Yeah, I'm finding that socks are way better for brake pedal feel as well. And, I agree, I hope you won't be needing that fireproof equipment for sim racing. :)

Since I am using a pedal without a loadcell brake and a digressive clutch pedal, I wear socks. I use to wear a pair of Fireside Slippers, but they were years old, and I tossed them out a few months ago. Now that the snowy season is back I'll be able to find them at the store pretty easily.

I'm finding that the load cell people wear shoes (makes sense given the more realistic feel) and everyone else with pedals are mainly socks or super thin sole shoes/slippers.

I'm finding that the load cell people wear shoes (makes sense given the more realistic feel) and everyone else with pedals are mainly socks or super thin sole shoes/slippers.

Really? I always use socks with my pedals load cell or not (i have a fanatec setup with a load cell, but it disagrees with forza, so i use my old Logitech setup a lot of the time)

Barefoot because that's how I am at home most of the time. When I'm on a road trip in my real car I take off my shoes and wear socks only. I feel my pedals so much better, and there's less fatigue because I can flex my toes easily.

Back