Wheels for Forza...?

• Thread starter LANDO
  • 65 comments
I'm going to try and get a DriveFX on eBay. I've never liked force feedback in wheels I've used (mostly arcade machines) so vibration only won't bother me.

Is the DriveFX PS3 compatible, too?

I'm going to try and get a DriveFX on eBay. I've never liked force feedback in wheels I've used (mostly arcade machines) so vibration only won't bother me.

Is the DriveFX PS3 compatible, too?

As far as I know the only wheel that you can use on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 is the Fanatec 911 Turbo S. It has a big price tag but is a really nice wheel.

It also works on the PS2 or at least it does for GT4. :)

Edit: Is there a way to adjust the steering dead zone on the Turbo S ? I remember reading on the site it could be adjusted but I do not see it in the manual and now am thinking maybe that was the GT3RS wheel instead. I purchased the Turbo S so I could use it on the Xbox 360 as well but really need some dead zone for GT4 and GT5P.

Last edited:
As far as I know the only wheel that you can use on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 is the Fanatec 911 Turbo S. It has a big price tag but is a really nice wheel.

It also works on the PS2 or at least it does for GT4. :)

Edit: Is there a way to adjust the steering dead zone on the Turbo S ? I remember reading on the site it could be adjusted but I do not see it in the manual and now am thinking maybe that was the GT3RS wheel instead. I purchased the Turbo S so I could use it on the Xbox 360 as well but really need some dead zone for GT4 and GT5P.

Deadzone was added in the new firmware which is at 911wheel.de

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the new firmware but have not applied it yet. Since GT5 will be out next week I am just using the wheel on the XBox right now playing Forza 3. They just gave out a free sample car that turned out to be a 550 Porsche and I think it is only fitting that my Porsche wheel be broken in properly driving a classic Porsche :) That little car is tearing up the leaderboards over there and have had a lot of fun racing it with my friends. To bad we won't have one in GT5.

I'm just wondering how the new Fanatec GT2 differs from the GT3 RS? I havent seen a list of the differences on Fanatec's website.

I'm just wondering how the new Fanatec GT2 differs from the GT3 RS? I havent seen a list of the differences on Fanatec's website.

Not sure how it differs from the GT3RS, bt I have had mine for 2 days now (GT2) and while it is great in Forza3 (seriously the only wheel you can buy new with clutch and shifter for the XBox360) it has already crapped out on my twice in game.

I have had my G25 for 4 maybe 5 years and neverhad a hiccup ever. Played FM3 for about 4 hours yesterday, GT5 for about an hour and then played GT5 for about 4 hours tonight/this morning and as I say twice in game it jst "let go" and rolled toth eright 90* and the needed to be power cycled to "come back".

I fear that as good as these Fanatec wheels are, they may be "overly complexly" engineered - or I just may have abum GT2, it is I believe Serial #20 or so- essentially v1 I suppose.

But the bottom line is if you want a serious wheel for the XBox this is the only wheel you can get really - you get the PC and PS3 support as a bonus I say - I dont think Iwill be retiring the G25 just yet though.

Which game did the GT2 lock it's self at 90° to the right? If it was Forza then I am not suprised. I find the RF connection to the 360 to be problematic. A few of my friends have told me that their PWTS' had the same issues that the Microsoft WRW's had when connected to the 360, but none of those issues appeared on the PS3 and the PC when they used a wired connection.

That being said, hiccups with the 360 isn't going to deter me from getting the wheel because it is the only solid option for the 360 and I really like everything I have read and heard about the GT2 compaired to other wheels.

I just picked up the DriveFX off eBay. I only tried it for a few minutes last night, but so far it is ok. Not as nice as the DFP I use for the PS3, but close. Biggest difference is the "force feedback" is very week. Build quality is similar to the DFP/DFGT.

Seriously wondering what the hell is wrong with MS. They seem to let this situation exist where they don't have their own wheel anymore and the only available wheel for the 360 right now is a very high-end one that few people are willing to buy (due to the price being very high).

It just doesn't make any sense to me. If one wants to play racers with a wheel for a reasonable amount of money the current available items on the market pretty much dictate that one buys a PS3 + Logitech DFGT.

It's totally beyond me that MS allows this situation to exist. There's tons of racers available for the 360 and tons of people playing them.

You have to realize this is a business for microsoft. We are a very niche sector of their market. Release a peripheral that costs more than all 3 major gaming consoles...to use on a handful of games. Theyve tried with the ms wheel and im sure sales where not stellar. As a business proposition...its better for them to sit it out and let 3rd party companies fight for that crumb of the cake.

So after using my DriveFX for a few days, I've come to the conclusion that it pretty much sucks. I can't get used to the lack of resistance and feedback. Seriously thinking of picking up a Fanatec GT2 wheel so I can have one good wheel for both PS3 and Xbox.

I hear you man... I am considering getting rid of a bunch of old systems and controllers to make some head way into saving for a GT2. I hope I can get a decent dollar for all of my old stuff. I havent played the old systems in years. I might as well cut my losses and sell them. They are just taking up space.

The day there will be a new good bang for the buck wheel like the DFGT for the Xbox 360 I will buy a new 360 and Forza 3 & 4 but If they let this situation exist where a high end expensive wheel is the only option I won't. Simple.

So after using my DriveFX for a few days, I've come to the conclusion that it pretty much sucks. I can't get used to the lack of resistance and feedback. Seriously thinking of picking up a Fanatec GT2 wheel so I can have one good wheel for both PS3 and Xbox.

Trust me, you won't regret the purchase. I am glad I got the GT2. Heck I even might play through Forza 2 again just so I can spend that much more time on the wheel, along with GT5 and Forza 3.

Fanatec GT2/3 are good wheels just not as good of a deal (especially for one game/series FM3) like those wheels for PS3/PC: G27 and DFGT. IMO this wheel only worth it if your are heavy into sim racing (like me). It's sad X360 doesn't have a affordable wheel for the more casual racers.

Last edited:
Fanatec GT2/3 are good wheels just not as good of a deal (especially for one game/series FM3) like those wheels for PS3/PC: G27 and DFGT. IMO this wheel only worth it if your are heavy into sim racing (like me). It's sad X360 doesn't have a affordable wheel for the more casual racers.

Best Buy sells a Mad Catz wheel that works for the Xbox 360. My first racing wheel was a Mad Catz that I used to play Forza on my Xbox. It was OK, but would not do the trick for me nowadays. For casual racers, however, a Mad Catz might be fine.

Best Buy sells a Mad Catz wheel that works for the Xbox 360. My first racing wheel was a Mad Catz that I used to play Forza on my Xbox. It was OK, but would not do the trick for me nowadays. For casual racers, however, a Mad Catz might be fine.

I don't think I ever bought a product from Mad Catz I didn't hate. I read some who bought the Mad Catz wheel and they said it was a waste of money.(no FFB) They rather use a controller. Now I haven't experience the wheel myself but it sound like the same results I've got from Mad Catz products in the past.

Last edited:
Fanatec is indeed the best wheel choice and value for racing on these consoles and PC.
Not best value since if you look around you can get a G27 and PS3 for the price of GT2 with CSP. Now CSP are made of metal while G27 pedal case are plastic vs Gt2 wheel is all plastic while G27 wheel has some metal. G27 shifter is better and not a loud as Fanatec all plastic shifter. G27 has a lot of interesting mods as well. Even the new Thrustmaster will not beat G27 when it comes to best value.

I have a G27, and a Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel. No question that the Fanatec is a better wheel. Not to mention value because it can be used on all three systems.

Not best value since if you look around you can get a G27 and PS3 for the price of GT2 with CSP. Now CSP are made of metal while G27 pedal case are plastic vs Gt2 wheel is all plastic while G27 wheel has some metal. G27 shifter is better and not a loud as Fanatec all plastic shifter. G27 has a lot of interesting mods as well. Even the new Thrustmaster will not beat G27 when it comes to best value.

The G27 might be the best value if you could use it on Xbox. Because you cannot, the GT2 is the best value for folks that need a wheel for PC, PS3 and Xbox.

I have a G27, and a Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel. No question that the Fanatec is a better wheel. Not to mention value because it can be used on all three systems.
I have them as well. Again the price to have a good X360 wheel will cost the same as G27 and a PS3 if you are a smart shopper. Thus X360 option itself is very expensive. Since most racing games are on PC and PS3 it doesn't make it the best value. I also think G27 is over all the better wheel as whole. (wheel,shifter and pedals)

I don't think I ever bought a product from Mad Catz I didn't hate. I read some who bought the Mad Catz wheel and they said it was a waste of money.(no FFB) They rather use a controller. Now I haven't experience the wheel myself but it sound like the same results I've got from Mad Catz products in the past.

I did not hate my Mad Catz and the lack of force feedback was a non-issue. I was a "casual" racer and so that did not matter to me. For serious racers like you and me today, a Mad Catz would not do the trick.

The G27 might be the best value if you could use it on Xbox. Because you cannot, the GT2 is the best value for folks that need a wheel for PC, PS3 and Xbox.
Well that the same as saying Thrustmaster is probably the best wheel for GT5 (as Gt2 for Forza) yet that doesn't mean it the best value.

P.S No doubt Gt2 is the best x360 FFB wheel on the market since it's the only wheel on the market.

Last edited:
I did not hate my Mad Catz and the lack of force feedback was a non-issue. I was a "casual" racer and so that did not matter to me. For serious racers like you and me today, a Mad Catz would not do the trick.
In Fm3 you really need ffb wheel since the ffb will tell you where on the wheel the sweat spot is to turn your car to the max in corners. Without ffb you are at a disadvantage over the controller or even X360 wireless.

I also think G27 is over all the better wheel as whole. (wheel,shifter and pedals)
You are the first person I have ever heard say this. Interesting. But yes, the Fanatec is no question the best value when sim racing on all three. It's also the best quality and has the best feel for a wheel and responsiveness.

You are the first person I have ever heard say this. Interesting. But yes, the Fanatec is no question the best value when sim racing on all three. It's also the best quality and has the best feel for a wheel and responsiveness.
I'm not even the first person mention this in this forum. As far as ffb feel it depends on the sim/game which is why I kept both. As far as best quality I don't know, time will tell. I've already had to repair my CSP yet had no problem with G27 pedals even with the nixim mod which puts a lot more pressure on the brakes. Of course that doesn't mean much since it could be just bad luck.

Back