WheelSpin

• Thread starter Eric1512
  • 28 comments
United States
Pennsylvania
Redsuns_Eric_DRP
Has anyone had a car that you notice has way to much wheel spin? What are some ways to fix it?

Don't treat the throttle as an on/of switch, throttle modulation is your friend. That being said, stretching your gearbox (lower numbers) and lower rear spring rates (lets the car squat, thus increasing grip) will help tame it if additional modulation doesn't seem possible.

Longer gears to keep in the lower rpm range. Use a low rpm turbo, or stay all motor. What car is it? RX8 i presume.

Na sc300. I just about got it now.

The SC300 is one of the least grippiest cars on GT5 imo, no matter what you try to do to the tune. It just won't feel right, as in stable. The car slides way too much and you can't really drift it how you want to.

C63, Mustang, SC300. These car have been suchhhhhh a pain to tune because of the wheel spin lol. I've constantly went back to these car to try out many experimental tunes and test out my theories, but they always end in no success.

But for the ones that I was able to tune, figuring out the torque curve and stretching out certain gears does help. Also, alot of torque isn't always a good thing. Try limiting power so the torque curve kinda looks like this: /\

I hope that kinda makes sense hahaha

Edit: Let me reiterate that haha. Try to have your car make alot of torque midway through your RPM range, and don't have as much towards redline. That way you can have power to break traction when shifting gears, but only have the minimum amount of torque to keep the car drifting around redline.

Last edited:
C63, Mustang, SC300. These car have been suchhhhhh a pain to tune because of the wheel spin lol. I've constantly went back to these car to try out many experimental tunes and test out my theories, but they always end in no success.

But for the ones that I was able to tune, figuring out the torque curve and stretching out certain gears does help. Also, alot of torque isn't always a good thing. Try limiting power so the torque curve kinda looks like this: /\

I can vouch for Marc's list... We have all tried to get the C63 to be a drift car but its wheel spin is uncontrollable... We have found that wheel users have a better time with the car but not by much... One tap on the C63's butt during a drift and it has a mind of its own!

It's too bad because that car is soooo pretty!!!! :sly:

Edit: Let me reiterate that haha. Try to have make alot of torque midway through your RPM range, and don't have as much towards redline. That way you can have power to break traction when shifting gears, but only have the minimum amount of torque to keep the car drifting around redline.
I have found the C63 to be somewhat easy to tune. N/A is easy to stop wheel spin.
I can vouch for Marc's list... We have all tried to get the C63 to be a drift car but its wheel spin is uncontrollable... We have found that wheel users have a better time with the car but not by much... One tap on the C63's butt during a drift and it has a mind of its own!

It's too bad because that car is soooo pretty!!!! :sly:
It is pretty but turbo'd its a nitemare.

I have found the C63 to be somewhat easy to tune. N/A is easy to stop wheel spin.

It is pretty but turbo'd its a nitemare.

The C63 lacks that needed "umph" when its N/A... I need my cars to be fast!! I can't stand "pedestrian" drifting... :ill:

You are right though it is better without the extra "juice" but then the ISF and M5 blow it out of the water as far as sedans go...

The C63 lacks that needed "umph" when its N/A... I need my cars to be fast!! I can't stand "pedestrian" drifting... :ill:

You are right though it is better without the extra "juice" but then the ISF and M5 blow it out of the water as far as sedans go...

My C63 is angle based yet still quick enough to maintain a decent pace. I tune for angle not speed. But I have retired it, I've focused my efforts in to getting my ISF ready. But it also lacks the low end grunt that i like. So I'm trying to get my 6 speed Sergio tuned right.

Just lengthen the gears quite a bit, if you have to,add downforce in the rear. If it's not solved by then it's not the car that's the issue. :P

Eric1512
Has anyone had a car that you notice has way to much wheel spin? What are some ways to fix it?

Wheelspin is not that big of a problem because you need wheelspin to drift.if it got too much,then try to widen the gears more and firm the rear more

SC300 or Chaser (the older one). Both can provide endless headaches.

I just had to quit on mine. Maybe after this thread will go back to my Chaser, working out from the scratch.

Lazy Liquid
SC300 or Chaser (the older one). Both can provide endless headaches.

I just had to quit on mine. Maybe after this thread will go back to my Chaser, working out from the scratch.

The Silvia is a good car to tune for drift

My C63 is angle based yet still quick enough to maintain a decent pace. I tune for angle not speed. But I have retired it, I've focused my efforts in to getting my ISF ready. But it also lacks the low end grunt that i like. So I'm trying to get my 6 speed Sergio tuned right.

ive been playing with setups for my c63 and it just loves getting angle but the wheels need to be spinning which is why i like to have the diff fully locked

The Silvia is a good car to tune for drift

We are talking about the Lexus SC300 OR the Toyota SOARER. I really don´t know why you´re comming here to say that S-Chassis are good cars to tune and drift. Did i lost something?

Backing on topics... specificaly about the SC300... its a really weird car, 65/35 weight balance. Im all against ugly wings in my cars, but this one deserves it. Also, i had to put some serious weight on rear to try to make it at least 60/40. Springs, dampers, anti-roll and toe also had been reworked to make the car not overspin at higher angles.

So now im in the midle of the way between have a nasty and tricky car or have a slow and heavy car.

EDIT: Everytime i wrote "Chaser", i wanted to say "Soarer".

Last edited:
From what I have found with my dealings with the SC300 is, no matter what you do it will always have a tone of wheelspin even when I was using CM's. The current setup I'm using on mine is decent enough for my style. It still has some wheel spin but I use the high rpm turbo, and a few mods the help mostly hp then use a power limiter to get the tq to pk in the higher end of the rpms. Then I have tuned the trans where I spend most of my time in 3rd gear rather than 4th which helps eliminate some of the wheel spin.

It's not about speed and the guys I know wait at sections so I don't see a proplem with wheelspin.

lldantell
Wheelspin is not that big of a problem because you need wheelspin to drift.if it got too much,then try to widen the gears more and firm the rear more

Firm the rear? It'll actually worsen the wheelspin issue.
The car have to squat in order to get optimal traction (kinda like drag cars). To achieve that a higher front ride height and softer rear springs actually are the things to do.

Also about the "it's not about speed" argument, it's true to an extent, if your car is wheelspin city and get 0 traction to the point of doing moving burnouts in 5th at 70km/h it's not drifting anymore. High level drifting isn't about wheelspin (contrary to what some people believe) but about traction.

Firm the rear? It'll actually worsen the wheelspin issue.
The car have to squat in order to get optimal traction (kinda like drag cars). To achieve that a higher front ride height and softer rear springs actually are the things to do.

Also about the "it's not about speed" argument, it's true to an extent, if your car is wheelspin city and get 0 traction to the point of doing moving burnouts in 5th at 70km/h it's not drifting anymore. High level drifting isn't about wheelspin (contrary to what some people believe) but about traction.

if you using comfort tires,firming the rear give you a little bit more traction.make it stiffer gonna make it looser

if you using comfort tires,firming the rear give you a little bit more traction.make it stiffer gonna make it looser

We are talking about a car that already had excessive wheel spin. A softer rear spring and compression damper will promote more traction.

eddyac
It's not about speed and the guys I know wait at sections so I don't see a proplem with wheelspin.

Lol I'm not worried about speed. It's just the sc300/Soarer has way to much wheel spin to even drift properly. But I got mine a lot better by changing the weight balance and lowering the power a bit. And yeah everyone I drift with waits too unless its some random room online. I was drifting with some people last night and it seemed to do fine now. So longer gears, less hp, Better weight balance does the trick.

The SC300 is one of the least grippiest cars on GT5 imo, no matter what you try to do to the tune. It just won't feel right, as in stable. The car slides way too much and you can't really drift it how you want to.

So true... my SC300 is a loose whip :lol:

i drift tuned the sc300 and i dont know why everyone having problems with the sc300 because it's such a controllable car

Last edited:
Back