When do you stop hot lapping?

• Thread starter iCyCo
  • 46 comments
Barbados
Barbados
iCyCo
GT5: The Ultimate
When do you guys stop hot lapping? Do you set a certain amount of laps or time? I find myself not wanting to stop until my fastest and optimal times are the same, stopping knowing that I have a few tenths or what left I know I can get if I just string the lap together properly is killing me. Also that's when I feel like I have tamed that particular car on that particular track.

If I plan on doing multiple cars on the same track I set a lap limit but find myself doing way more laps if there's more time to be had.

Currently enjoying Dragon Trail II in N600-1000 , what's your favorite car/track combo?

I stop when I'm 1 second or less behind top 10, usually this gives me a good position which is really important while having in mind the havoc in mid pack, especially in some tracks (e.g. Interlagos - my favourite track - but it is a mess when people do not how to drive and overtake). If I'm not able to achieve this time - well, I'm simply not good enough on the track and I keep practicing :)

Usually after the first lap, I don't enjoy hot lapping. I tend to jump into races first without qualifying then when I'm used to the car and track, do a qualifying lap to start at my actual race pace. When my laps in the race are faster than my qualifying time then I do another qualifying lap.

I stop when I'm 1 second or less behind top 10, usually this gives me a good position which is really important while having in mind the havoc in mid pack, especially in some tracks (e.g. Interlagos - my favourite track - but it is a mess when people do not how to drive and overtake). If I'm not able to achieve this time - well, I'm simply not good enough on the track and I keep practicing :)

If it's a one make race I may do this, try to get as close as possible to the leaders, if it's garage car, I just do what I am comfortable with the car I like, don't just drive whatever is at top of leaderboards. Owned the Beetle GR3 for weeks and haven't even got in it.

Usually after the first lap, I don't enjoy hot lapping. I tend to jump into races first without qualifying then when I'm used to the car and track, do a qualifying lap to start at my actual race pace. When my laps in the race are faster than my qualifying time then I do another qualifying lap.

Was doing this couple mornings this week with the 4C and another car (cant recall) dailies. Set a time to see where I stack up, race and then set another as I get to grips with car and track in race

It depends on the time available and the car/track combo. If I have time and I like the car/track, I can spend a day hotlaping and not even going to the race. This rarely happens but when it does I often put a top10 lap together. Top1 is rare but I stop if I get 1st. ^^

5 to 10 laps and then I switch cars or go race. I lap Suzuka, exclusively.

You're the dude from GT6 and the extensive Suzuka time trials, just noticed from your signature. How's it going in GTS?

It depends on the time available and the car/track combo. If I have time and I like the car/track, I can spend a day hotlaping and not even going to the race. This rarely happens but when it does I often put a top10 lap together. Top1 is rare but I stop if I get 1st. ^^

I'm always 4 to 6 seconds from top ten, sometimes even more on a bad day. Just like hot lapping in arcade mode

You're the dude from GT6 and the extensive Suzuka time trials, just noticed from your signature. How's it going in GTS?

Yup, that's me! So far I'm just setting some baselines, because who knows if/when PD decides to mess with the physics code again like they did for the v1.06 patch. I put some time in today for the first time all week. Got some times for the LaFerrari, Corvette, and Evo Final Edition. The Ferrari on Sport Hards is capable of at least 55 second laps at Suzuka East. Wonder if the Veyron can beat it, but I don't have the cash for that yet!

Similar to others, I find my best is within 3/4 sec of the top times. Which is usually consistent with me lapping 3/4 laps with in a few 100’s of sec between each lap, which is what I generally aim for before I join a race.

I'm the same when it comes to Sport Mode.
I find it gives you an advantage come race time.

l think many take this approach for one reason or another.
And unfortunately l think it explains much of the mayhem seen in many Sport Mode races.

The joy for me is in racing so as long as I learn the track enough to not screw up then I'll jump straight into racing. There's always warm-up and following faster drivers too, if there are any in the race.

I stop once I've gone a few laps without being able to beat my best time. Even if I know I can gain another half a second if I get all my fastest sector's into one lap. It's just not worth it.
You might set a faster time but then end up further down a grid of faster people. But with a slower time end up at the front of a grid of slower people.
Since our opposition is not set in stone a few tenths here and there isn't going to make much of a difference to your starting position. And as I said you could end up just making it worse by ending up at the back of a grid full of aliens.

Last edited:
Ideally when youre constant lapping within 3 or 4 tenths of your best and optimal is less then 3 tenths quicker. Thats usually a pretty good sign you reached your limit. By then i am usualy 1-1.5 from 1st and 0.3-0.8 from tenth, only reached top 10 once (4th in EU yaayh). It takes me about half a hour to a hour depending on car/track combo but this is without assist (ABS only). When time is short i take whatever time is left before the next race to try and do a decent lap, if i feel it should get me top half of the field and i can complete a race i join one.

Ideally when youre constant lapping within 3 or 4 tenths of your best and optimal is less then 3 tenths quicker. Thats usually a pretty good sign you reached your limit. By then i am usualy 1-1.5 from 1st and 0.3-0.8 from tenth, only reached top 10 once (4th in EU yaayh). It takes me about half a hour to a hour depending on car/track combo but this is without assist (ABS only). When time is short i take whatever time is left before the next race to try and do a decent lap, if i feel it should get me top half of the field and i can complete a race i join one.

Pretty much same for me... I'm aiming to be within a second of #1 ranked time, lapping within a few tenths every lap.

I only race Suzuka/Nurb GP/Brands/Interlagos, and it normally takes me 30-60 mins to get where I want to be.

I normally put 4 laps in, I like my hot lap to be close to or worse than my race pace, I much prefer mugging the car ahead than being mugged left right and center from behind.
When I look at my PS4 friends times I see what car they have used and put my smug face on.

That said, I normally hot lap past the start time of the next race doh! why can't it warn you with a race start reminder.

Untill I get to constantly lap within 0.3 to 0.5 from my best time so far and I feel I can’t improve anymore. That’s my first wall.

If I feel like, I go online and check people hotlapping the same combo/track and try to learn something else to shave some more tenths. If I improve from here, ok. If I don’t, then it’s my second and last wall.

Checking your PSN/GTP friends lap times is also a good ideia, we always know where we (should) stand among them.

I hotlap and set better and better times, then I try to be consistent with the fastest lap. When the consistency is there, it's easier to go even faster.

Almost always do 5-10 laps before jumping into the first race, but my rule of thumb is when I can get a good hot lap and be able to run a consistent pace without errors. Normally this consistent pace is 5 tenths off my qualifying hot lap before im confident.

It depends on the track but I don't do online races as much too stressful, only qualifying laps or arcade time trials, so usually a maximum of 5 laps depending on the track. For me, I start to lose concentration after then so my times tend to deteriorate after 5 laps anyway. Plus I only ever have limited time for gaming and want to vary it as much as practical.

Untill I get to constantly lap within 0.3 to 0.5 from my best time so far and I feel I can’t improve anymore. That’s my first wall.

If I feel like, I go online and check people hotlapping the same combo/track and try to learn something else to shave some more tenths. If I improve from here, ok. If I don’t, then it’s my second and last wall.

Checking your PSN/GTP friends lap times is also a good ideia, we always know where we (should) stand among them.

Where do you go to check? Really wish they add community time trials to the game. Can't be hard, daily races for racers and time trials for those who don't like the online racing.

For me, it’s a Monday evening at about 11:59 GMT. That is of course, because I only usually hot lap in the GT Planet WRS (cough: shameless plug)

Was going to start back doing that but the fact they started with the 'arcade' cards made me feel it'll be limited to just those, plus I want to accumulate the miles on my garage cars not borrowed cars.

Back