when GT4 hits the stores, are you going to camp outside the night before?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greyout
  • 85 comments
  • 3,149 views
Messages
665
With all the excitement around GT4, I can't help but remember the release of the PS2 itself:

I camped outside of 'Target' with my two roommates. We arrived at about midnight, and got in a line that was already building. We were about #17-#20. Other friends joined us, and other then drawing a short straw later in the night to go get food, I sat on the sidewalk until the store opened in the morning. By that time, there was quite a line. We had taken it upon ourselves to write a list of everyone's name in order, to avoid confusion, and that list was given to the store manager when she arrived.

After buying our playstations, one roommate returned home to find his EBAY auction ending, and sold his playstation for $950. I drove to a local Best Buy, which had 300 people lined up outside, along with a news crew. I strolled down the line with my PS2 in hand, and I was stared down like they were a bunch of hungry wolves and I was a ribeye steak. I said I'd give it up for $700, and was laughed at. I decided to go home, and as I was walking away, the best buy store manager came outside and passed out a voucher to the first 200 people in line - that was all the PS2's they had. After that, the 100 voucher-less people stopped laughing, and I sold it for $700 to the first person that walked over to my car.

My 3rd roommate kept his, and we all 3 used it. A few months later, I bought my own for normal price :)

The point of this: How long, if any, do you expect the line to be outside of your local gaming store, when GT4 hits?
 
No, I'm not. It doesn't happen here and we find the shops are well enough stocked so it's pointless. So I expect there to be a que inside the shop of maybe 10 people buying mainly GT4 but not all and it will take about 5 mins to get served.
 
~ i'm already camped outside for GT4 ~ :sly:
 
Is only one shop in Canada Lol.
 
I've heard some guys have done it when GT3 was realesed. I would love to do that but I can't do that :(
 
the shop is right next to the igloo where you can buy beer, peameal bacon (canadian bacon for all you americans), and get photographed with a mountie... so it will be a fun wait ;)
 
No, I'm too old to do that. I did that for the PS2. Kids there were looking at me kind of funny. "What's the old dude doing here?" I felt better when a 72 year old man showed up. He was getting one for his grandson for Christmas. What a great grandpa.
 
Preorder. At EB Games they always call a day or a few hours before anyone else would try to get the game. I got Vice City and UT2004 a day early.
 
Hell no. I wouldnt go to extremes like that for anything. But the first thing I do the day the game comes out is get that game.
 
phantasm
the shop is right next to the igloo where you can buy beer, peameal bacon (canadian bacon for all you americans), and get photographed with a mountie... so it will be a fun wait ;)

oh shoot, were going to have to use our dog sleds too eh...if its really cold we might even have to build a couple of igloos outside the store
 
Nope I'd never do that, especially not pay $700 for a PS2 when they came out :lol:

Should such an event ever occur (which for GT4 I doubt it), I'll just wait, I ain't quite that desperate :grumpy:
 
The first thing I'd do the day it comes out (if it comes out I think it could be a big build up to an April fools next year) is my day's work, once thats done and only once thats done would I go and get the game, if I niped out during the day I'd just put it on when I got back and then I wouldn't get anymore work done that day, which I wouldn't want.
 
well, im going to camp 2 days b4 it comes out in best buy parking lot, that means i will get it 7 days after camping, since if it comes out the 15th, the get it on like 20th, yes best buy is slow, when i went there to buy driv3r when it came out, they were 2 days late
 
I'd probably just mail order it. The nearest Game/EB is inside the 'Quadrant (mini mall) and it closes its doors kinda early.
 
Preorder it... no sense in standing in line for hours when you can just order it from the comfort of your own home and have it shipped to you when it is released, possibly before the stores even get it.
 
I'll just pre-order. Camping out for a object is just crazy in my opinion.
 
I'll wait a year after it comes out.
 
That game will be availabe everywhere in the US, You will still have to purchase a copy the first week I'm sure because of all the Hype and Highly anticipation!
 
Where did many of you order it ( In US) That will ship to your house. I want a store that will ship if anything on or before the release day to my house. But i must say. The ordered price is like 49.99. But ive seen video games for 55.00 On the first day.


Wait i just checked walmart and they already lowerd the price to 47.75?????

Its date is also august
31.??????
Should arrive by 09/01/2004
They just changed it???
 
Lamboracer
Wait i just checked walmart and they already lowerd the price to 47.75?????

Its date is also august
31.??????

:rolleyes: Here we go again... IT WILL GET HERE WHEN IT GET'S HERE.

Solid Lifters
No, I'm too old to do that. I did that for the PS2. Kids there were looking at me kind of funny.

That's pretty funny, anway, no I won't camp out for this game. All I know is I WILL have this game because $50 or whatever reasonable price it will be had has GT4 written on it.

HYBRIDLVR
That game will be availabe everywhere in the US, You will still have to purchase a copy the first week I'm sure because of all the Hype and Highly anticipation!

Wow, wouldn't that be scary if the only reason the game isn't around yet is because they arn't developing it still but because they have been making so many copies that when it got to the stores no one would have to wait because there would be one for everyone litterally. Wishful thinking I suppose, but there's going to be a **** load even after GT4 becomes "old news".
 
Camping out for the ps2 was diffrent than GT4. There was such a limited inventory of the consoles that many people (including me) had to wait until March of 2001 to get one (release was October 2000). GT4, on the other hand, will have plenty of copies on shelves and everyone should be able to get one no problem.
 
Hehe.. Nooo way im gonna be outside a whoe night in november. Im gonna be laying under the mailbox for like a week but..
 
This one is easy. No. I'm a gamer, but I'm not a devoted one. GT4 doesn't mean that my life will be any better. After all, it's just a game. I'd love to get one, if not reserve. But I'm not THAT jacked about it.
 
Just you wait John! We all are gonna look like this :crazy: when theres a couple of hours left untill we get it in our hands. :D
 
Ahh the bliss of such a thing called "Small town", the longest I've ever waited in line was 20 minutes when a register was broken:)
 
I don't see a reason to camp out or pre-order. This isn't October 26th, 2000 all over again. Games can be produced quickly and cheaply, there will be plenty for everyone.

The day GT4 is released:
  1. Walk into game shop
  2. Buy GT4
  3. Walk out of game shop
Simple as that.
 
Originally posted by Greyout
when GT4 hits the stores, are you going to camp outside the night before?
No. I pre-ordered the game. But it's gonna be sent to the last apartment I lived in. So I'll be camping outside thier front door. :lol:
 
Back