When will you go online

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 49 comments
  • 1,618 views

When will you race GT4 online?

  • First thing I do when I fire it up will be to race online.

    Votes: 7 9.7%
  • I will race online as soon as I get use to the handling

    Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I will race online after I complete 25% of the game

    Votes: 10 13.9%
  • I will race online after I complete 50% of the game

    Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Racing online...I'm nt really looking forward to it. AI is more of a challenge

    Votes: 8 11.1%

  • Total voters
    72
Messages
8,077
Messages
GTP_Royalton
Being a very regular participant in online races, it is very annoying to see people who show up and say "Hi guys. Just got this game 15 minutes ago."

The bad part about that is that this game is a very tough sim, and this guy was about to run his first race with the game online vs 30 human opponents.

"I apologize ahead of time," he said, "for any crashes I may cause."

Well why not practice offline first? Why go online and ruin people's race because you are trying to learn when there is a perfect offline mode to practice with?

So, with the lure of putting your skills to the test online, and the lure of the ulra deep sim mode we know GT4 is going to offer, what will you do?

I think PD should make online like arcade mode, in the way how you have to unlock really ALL of the cars and tracks by progress in the game. You should be able to only race default cars in arcade mode, and only extra cars and track that you have unlocked, bought, etc
 
I´ll play online first thing when I get the game. :D
 
...nah.....i won´t buy the game just to play online.......so after 25% perhaps and after learning all tracks so that i´m very fast on them of course!!! :)
....but how will it be???....can we talk with headsets and if yes how???
...how how how do ya buddies think it´ll be???
 
""I apologize ahead of time," he said, "for any crashes I may cause.""

Let the guy have his fun, it's just a fricking game, and it's nice that he said sorry before hand.
 
code_kev
""I apologize ahead of time," he said, "for any crashes I may cause.""

Let the guy have his fun, it's just a fricking game, and it's nice that he said sorry before hand.

While he is having his fun I have the good fortune to try and put a ton of guys like him a lap down. They drive very sporadicly. They cant hold a line. I remember a hundred different times noobs racing online first without practicing causing a massive crash that ruins the race for everyone. Granted, some of them do a good job of getting out of the way, but the majority are landmines.
 
I'm looking forward to the online mode, though I will probably play GT4 alot before hand. No real "XX%" goal in mind, just getting to where I feel comfortable with the circuits and handling of a handful of cars.

I've raced online, via message boards like this one, never actual multiplayer online. I've enjoyed that but it took me a few years of playing GT3 to begin online racing. Granted I didn't know about it until about 18 months after I first started playing. I'd watch the race boards and run them on my own comparing my times to those people. When i got happy with a certian level I would join the racing. I suspect I'd do about the same with GT4.
 
Well if some one is being a landmine (bash em back if you must :D), just shoot past him, look in your rear view mirror and piss your self laughing as he tries to take a bend at 150 mph :D
 
I'll race online when i get used to the game, probably after finishing 50%.
 
kensei
I'm looking forward to the online mode, though I will probably play GT4 alot before hand. No real "XX%" goal in mind, just getting to where I feel comfortable with the circuits and handling of a handful of cars.

that´s the RIGHT attitude!! 👍 :)
this is a game at the end and it should cause FUN and human beings only have FUN when they feel comfortable and are not under pressure "to get this game played up to 100%" or "to beat the fastest lap times of other players"....
.......this just causes panik and makes unhappy!!! 👎 :yuck:
 
Earth, I like your idea of unlocking features online and only have a few tracks available when you first start.

How about GT4 RPG? Where PD could incorporate some RPGish elements where finishing races gives you credits which allow you to upgrade your car and after so many credits have been reached different tracks would be unlocked. But then again this comes from someone who enjoys playing RPGs and building characters and I fully understand others will have major issues waiting for the best cars/tracks to be unlocked.
 
Race when you want, I understand the newbies thing but hell you ain't the race king who smites down on everyone who isn't upto your level, you sound so pompous it's unbeliveable, let others have their fun, you wanna be anal so be it but some people play games for a laugh and don't act as if it's life or death, sure you'll get pissed at newbies, but you were one also too. Plus playing online helps you become a better player than offline as human players are more risk taking and diverse in finding methods to knock off split seconds from their time and their are sometimes even people who will help the newbie to improve rather than **** on them from the 'throne of gamingdom, my pc is quicker than yours no life' losers who wail and b!tch if they lose.
 
_aj
Race when you want, I understand the newbies thing but hell you ain't the race king who smites down on everyone who isn't upto your level, you sound so pompous it's unbeliveable, let others have their fun, you wanna be anal so be it but some people play games for a laugh and don't act as if it's life or death, sure you'll get pissed at newbies, but you were one also too. Plus playing online helps you become a better player than offline as human players are more risk taking and diverse in finding methods to knock off split seconds from their time and their are sometimes even people who will help the newbie to improve rather than **** on them from the 'throne of gamingdom, my pc is quicker than yours no life' losers who wail and b!tch if they lose.


Well said! 👍


As for me, I'll race online after I get bored racing offline...and who knows how long that will take. To me, it's just the next step to take after beating the game. I'm always like this though. For example, I just bought an XBOX and 5 games to go with it to tide me over until GT4 comes out. I've been playing one game, and have not touched the others..nor will I...until I'm finished with the current one. I enjoy getting everything I can out of a game, as opposed to rushing out and trying everything I can, but on a halfass level.
 
I'll probably go online within an hour of getting it. As for n00bs. It's all in fun. Even pros screw up and **** other drivers up. The only thing i don't like about n00bz is the ppl who hit you on purpose.
 
its pretty simple. Hosts should clearly mention in the servername if they want beginners, advanced or expert players in their game.
 
I'll obviously try out online the same night I get the game. But I won't play competitively until I believe I can kick all of your asses ;)
 
Yo, first off, I'd like to say, Hello Im a new guy here. Nice boards ya guys got. I highly doubt anyone will know me but I do frequent the PS2, Gamespot, and Teamxbox forums...CobraGT should recognize me as we are always getting into arguements lol. Yo Cobra!

Now, as for the topic at hand. I, like many others, will wait to go online with GT4 til I feel I am ready. I want to get comfortable with the handling and tracks before I go online. Also, Im not sure how online would work...if it involved using cars you've unlocked offline (like PGR2 or RSC2), then I will try to unlock a fair amount of good cars before going online as well.

As for people going online the second they get GT4...I understand what you mean, it can get frustrating when people who dont know what they're doing crash into you. But at the same time, its just a game, you have to look back on it and just laugh. Have fun with it. Also, you can try giving the newbie some advice and tips before the race starts or simply let them know before the race starts what to expect. In PGR2, it wasnt so much a problem since you could spot a new guy in a room by his Kudos Rank. In most rooms I played, if a new dude with a low ranking would come in, the host would let him know what was going on like "hey man, this is a serious racing room. if you know what your doing and can keep up then cool" and most times by his own free will, the new guy would leave. Hell, sometimes I would leave too since rooms like that (unless I knew the host) are filled with obnoxious people, everyone makes mistakes, but some people take them WAY too seriously.
 
Hey H3RO welcome to GTP and a very nice first post, also I think you and code_kev are gonna get on great seeing as the cobra arguments are common. Good point too, will GT show you the players % of completion or even their Win % to determine first-sight ranking in the pits. (How cool would it be if you saw you're car in a pit garage when chatting or waiting for a race?)
 
Voted after i complete 50%.By that time i should be well aquainted to the new physics and learned most of the tracks.After that it's just about perfecting my skills Online and Offline.
 
I am going to rule all of GT4 land, remember my name my friends, remember it well.....and If I don;t rule...well....thats just not something I want to talk about. I canbeat my sister, my wife and my dog ( she lays on the controller
 
I'll probably go online as soon as I can. I'll probably have a new computer just after I get GT4. But then I gotta get my adad to allow me to put a wire through the entire house. The lucky thing for me is there are already cables using teh routes I plan to, so my dad can't complain about "more and more cables" being spread around the house.
 
From what I said it may seem that I have a big head etc but the reason why I am against new guys going straight online is that, in the sim I run, it has a points system

It keeps track of how many wrecks you have been in, it gives you a LPI (laps per incident) number, and rankings (You could be ranked a 7 on road courses but a 3 on ovals)

Alot of the servers put limits on LPI, for example, some servers say you must have a miimum of 20 laps per incident. Or a rating of 4 etc etc

I hope GT has a system like this. Finishing races earns you points, winning earns even more, finishing behind a driver of your same rank loses you points, finishng behind a driver of a higher rank loses you less, finishing ahead of a driver with a higher rank than you earns you even more points then finishing ahead of a driver with the same rank etc etc

Host should be able to set rank/skill whatever you want to call it levels to a game.

And I sure hope they keep track of your finish positions wins etc
 
I'm not gonna be a "landmine", so yeah I think I'll practice. When I finally get the physics, I'll try my hand at drifting. When I know that all my original skills are back, THAT'S when I'll go online. Because when you finally DO see my screen name online, you can bet your not getting anything less than my best performance. Because I don't intend to drive half assed. I'm just not that type of person. I know I'll be giggling like a little girl when I see the online part of the game, but I promise you, until you spot my red Levin riding your rear on the 'Ring, I'll be quite happy in single player mode. It's just a wild guess, but maybe 25% into the game, I'll be in good enough shape to take down a few online newbies, maybe a fast driver here and there.
 
It's ok guys, you dont have to worry about me flying in you coz I will never play online, my copy of GT4 will never see the day of light on the net, down to the fact that Im not really a big fan of online racing, coz i played PGR online at a friends house and also the pub, but didn't enjoy the time, I found it to be chalengeing, but dull at the same time because there was only one insentive and that was to beat the ass off people, and im not a competative person so it lacked something for me. But i guess if i ever did decide to venture onto the net with it i will be at least 50% or more done in the game.

(200th post :) )
 
I too like the idea of earning the right to play on-line. I don't think for a moment that it will be that way, but I like the idea nevertheless. Just as we can't progress too far if we don't have the qualifications in GT3, we should have to prove our abilities, to some degree, before we can play with others on-line.

On the other hand, playing with others will raise you up the learning curve faster, so...

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
i like to race with other people
but the pt is there's no support for PS2 online in hong kong, so i have no choice other than wait
 
:) :sly: I'm gonna hop online once I start mastering some of the harder races with ease. After that, I'm hoppin' online, so all of you guyz (AND girlz) had better watch out. BIG JOHN is comin' your way, and when I come your way, you'd better bow down the me, because I, AND ONLY I, will RULE ALL!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! :sly: :)
 
I'll be going online, on the night that the onlines servers open to the public.

I've played Destruction Derby Arena's online.. (all tho it's not much of a racing game, and the cars handle poorly) I've played some very good racers, who stick to there racing lines and end up knocking me off the track. :scared:

I find it more fun to race real people than computer A.I.

~Çiao
 
I'll go online when I feel comfortable driving the cars with my DFP and when I feel that I'll have some chance of winning.

I would imagine that might take some time, it depends on how difficult GT4 is. I'm looking forward to this game like no other - several friends at work are GT fans also - it's fun to see GT4 screens up as backgrounds.

See you on the track - someday.

Gil :dopey:
 
Back