Where are the Course Save Files? - Android Tablet/Phone

• Thread starter Imari
  • 119 comments
Australia
Adelaide
Neomone
The reason I ask is that the actual saves themselves must be tiny, with how fast they're being uploaded. It's possible that they might not be too hard to decode, and it's possible that there might be more to be got out of the course maker "manually" by hand editing the files that the user friendly UI doesn't allow.

Or I could be barking up a totally stupid tree, but it seems like an entertaining thing to try. While I quite like the course maker, the tracks that it allows me to make are a little dry for the most part. I'll accept some graphical glitches if I can trick it into some tighter corners, or maybe even some elevation.

Can anyone who knows more about the Android system than me help me find the files? I figure it'll be like hybriding, for courses. Could be fun. :)

Here, have a car ornament for your trouble.

May-16-2012-00-12-04-xJwcB.jpeg

Capture-4.jpg
👍

I copied the folder into the Bluestacks shared folder and this is what shows up with only one track created [3 main files per track it seems] the files are very tiny indeed.

Capture-2.jpg

Doesn't look like there is much to fiddle with, the meta file is only a short line...

Code:
GT6TEM   g            (2015_0930_183648   @Ãm6QÇ|   !    V
Š 2015_0930_183648

The bin file seems empty [powerISO] or gets an invalid format message [ultraISO]

This is the lib folder....

Capture-3.jpg

These files stay the same size no matter how many courses you create.

what do?

Interesting. Mine looks different. I might have a look on my phone and see if it's similarly odd.

Edit: Phone is the same. I wonder why? Windows 10 for Bluestacks, Samsung S3 sideloaded with the app. ES File Explorer for file management.

upload_2015-10-2_22-45-46.png

The track data will have to be in the .bin I assume, but I'd be looking at it in a text editor. It's going to be an actual binary instead of an image file, it's way too small for that.

3K is probably more than enough information for the track though. All it technically needs is start straight, and location and orientation of your anchor points.

If you want to throw the .bin up I'll have a look, but I'll need to find mine ideally to get this working unless it's really easy. The best way to figure it out will be to get a saved track, move one point, then compare the files before and after the change to see what and how it changed.

On an interesting note, I did poke briefly into the .apk. Made with Unity. :D I suppose there's no point being fancy when you can just use Unity to accomplish the same job fast. ;)

You will not find them unless your devices are rooted.

data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker .. is the path.

Found them, thanks. My phone is rooted, but I wasn't triggering ES File Explorer to go into root mode.

I'm out for the day, but I'll start working on the files when I get home tonight.

579761138_2384373a41_m_d.jpg

Well I haven't got far, but it looks possible :D

Code:
//--------------------------------------
//--- 010 Editor v3.1 Binary Template
//
// File: TrackEditor.bt
// Author: Outspacer
// Revision: 1.0.0
// Purpose: cracking the tracks
//--------------------------------------

struct FILE
{
  struct HEADER
  {
    char fileid[6];
    int version; // =105 version???
    byte unknown[6]; // ={0,0,0,0,0,0}
    int name_section_start; // offset from start of file
    int name_section_count; // =1
    int info_section_start;
    int info_section_count; // =1
    int path_section_start;
    int path_section_count; // = number of anchors + 2 ???
    int section4_start;
    int section4_count;
    int section5_start;
    int section5_count;
  } header;

struct NAME_SECTION
  {
    char name[header.info_section_start - header.name_section_start];
  } name_section;

struct INFO_SECTION
  {
    int theme; // 1=death valley, 2=Eifel, 5=Eifel Flat, 3=Andalusia
    double track_width;
    byte unknown[6];
  } info_section;

struct PATH_SECTION
  {
    struct HOME_STRAIGHT
    {
      byte type; // =1
      double x;
      double y;
      double a;
      // (missing byte here breaks the pattern of the path_section)
      byte type; // =1
      double x;
      double y;
      double a;
      byte unknown; // =0
    } start;
    struct ANCHOR
    {
      byte type; // 0=straight, 1=curve
      double x;
      double y;
      double a;
      byte unknown; // =0
    } anchors[header.path_section_count - 2];
  } path_section;
} file;

Presumably sections 4 and 5 are trackside objects and kerbs, not looked yet.

I've tested editing a file by changing the width of a track (downwards) - the App didn't moan when reloading it, and showed the altered width. So it looks like there's no tamper-checking :D

What will happen when the track data is invalid (re. tight turns etc)? I don't know yet. That'll be a problem for alternate editors; working out all of the rules for a 'correct' track.

Last edited:
You will not find them unless your devices are rooted.

data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker .. is the path.

Just out of curiosity: I have managed to install GT6-TPE on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (for which I'm told in the Play Store it is not compatible, but that's a lie).
Would you know how I can copy the tracks I have built on my tablet to the Note 4?

And as we are talking about tampering with the App:
Would anyone know how to make it possible to use underlying pictures in the other 3 designs as well, not only on Eifel Flat?
Eifel Flat is a bit boring after a while and as there is no possibility to change elevation...
...building underpasses, tunnels or flyovers (see Suzuka) to build an "8"-form track would be the next big thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity: I have managed to install GT6-TPE on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (for which I'm told in the Play Store it is not compatible, but that's a lie).
Would you know how I can copy the tracks I have built on my tablet to the Note 4?

Your devices MUST be 'rooted' and have a 'root explorer' file manager type app installed, and you need to have removable storage (micro SD card) in order to do so.

You copy the folder to the SD card and swap it to the other device and copy/merge the folder into the correct path.

You could also try to connect the devices via bluetooth to transfer the folder.

If you do not have root access but you would like to have it, may I suggest that google is your friend here. ;) FYI .. It can be a bit of hassle to get it done, and with risk of bricking your devices.

Your devices MUST be 'rooted' and have a 'root explorer' file manager type app installed, and you need to have removable storage (micro SD card) in order to do so.

You copy the folder to the SD card and swap it to the other device and copy/merge the folder into the correct path.

You could also try to connect the devices via bluetooth to transfer the folder.

If you do not have root access but you would like to have it, may I suggest that google is your friend here. ;) FYI .. It can be a bit of hassle to get it done, and with risk of bricking your devices.

Rooting my Android devices is ALWAYS the first Thing I do!
I just have Problems to get to grips with those Android paths, I'm more a Windows type of guy... :D
Thus I'm about unable (too stupid) to find the Folder where all the necessary fles reside.

Don't understand the question (which is OFF TOPIC).
There are 4 themes. Period.
I thought when the path to the file was found and there was posted the bin i suppose to ask on what i saw there. I guess you didnt look into spoiler in my quote because then you would see why i am asking this "off-topic". There are themes numbered: Death Valley - 1, Eifel - 2, Andalusia - 3, Eifel flat - 5. Where's the number 4?

@EmaNymton being you root all your devices I would suggest Titanium Backup & then get the pro key.
  1. Backup Course Maker
  2. Back out to the app list
  3. Long click Course Maker
  4. Select Send latest backup
  5. Select either App+Data or Data Only
  6. Select an email client & email it to your other device
  7. On your other device open the email and download the attachment.
    1. It should show up in your notifications.
  8. Follow Titanium's prompts.
To merge tracks between both devices is far more complicated but doable. I use Software Data Cable & a PC based FTP client to move files about between devices. All done over WiFi eliminating cables and driver issues.

@EmaNymton being you root all your devices I would suggest Titanium Backup & then get the pro key.
  1. Backup Course Maker
  2. Back out to the app list
  3. Long click Course Maker
  4. Select Send latest backup
  5. Select either App+Data or Data Only
  6. Select an email client & email it to your other device
  7. On your other device open the email and download the attachment.
    1. It should show up in your notifications.
  8. Follow Titanium's prompts.
To merge tracks between both devices is far more complicated but doable. I use Software Data Cable & a PC based FTP client to move files about between devices. All done over WiFi eliminating cables and driver issues.

Thanks,
I have Root and Titanium BackUp Root.
And I have the GT6-TPE installed on both devices. That is not the problem.
The problem is, that I don't find a way to "copy" the tracks I have built to my 2nd device.
I also copied the whole folder of the Track Path Editor to my external SD-Card, then put that SD-Card in my Smartphone, but I cannot copy the folder to ist correct location there (not even ES-File Manager (root) lets me do it!
But as I said in another thread: doesn't make much sense to work with the GT6-TPE on a Smartphone, even when it has a 5,7 Inch Display.

I thought when the path to the file was found and there was posted the bin i suppose to ask on what i saw there. I guess you didnt look into spoiler in my quote because then you would see why i am asking this "off-topic". There are themes numbered: Death Valley - 1, Eifel - 2, Andalusia - 3, Eifel flat - 5. Where's the number 4?

Yes, I saw your Spoiler, but still don't understand the question nor where these
"Death Valley - 1, Eifel - 2, Andalusia - 3, Eifel flat - 5. Where's the number 4"-numbering could be found?

Is there missing number 4 in the layouts list? Space for additional layout?

Edit: i meant themes?

Good question ;) I don't know. Could guess at it being one they tried and found unfit for release. Likewise, 0 might be considered missing as well. Plenty of space above 5 for them to add more themes in the future.

Now, here's a worry... if we start revealing that stuff PD didn't intend is possible to do, will they crack down on it?

Yes, I saw your Spoiler, but still don't understand the question nor where these
"Death Valley - 1, Eifel - 2, Andalusia - 3, Eifel flat - 5. Where's the number 4"-numbering could be found?

In my spoiler, post #11 :)

Thanks,
I have Root and Titanium BackUp Root.
And I have the GT6-TPE installed on both devices. That is not the problem.
The problem is, that I don't find a way to "copy" the tracks I have built to my 2nd device.
I also copied the whole folder of the Track Path Editor to my external SD-Card, then put that SD-Card in my Smartphone, but I cannot copy the folder to ist correct location there (not even ES-File Manager (root) lets me do it!
But as I said in another thread: doesn't make much sense to work with the GT6-TPE on a Smartphone, even when it has a 5,7 Inch Display.

Hmm, I'm just using ES with root to copy sets of files to and from data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker/files, rather than folders. Maybe that would work for you?

Last edited:
In my spoiler, post #11 :)

Yes, I saw that, but still don't understand the issue.

Hmm, I'm just using ES with root to copy sets of files to and from data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker/files, rather than folders. Maybe that would work for you?

I only used ES to copy the folder from the internal card to the external SD-Card (which worked perfect)
Then I swapped the external SD-Card to my Smartphone and tried to do the same, just the other way round: from the external SD to the internal location of the TPE, and this does not work (don't know why).

Yes, I saw that, but still don't understand the issue.

Maybe theme 4 is implemented and usable, just hidden on the theme selection screen. Probably not, but it's worth a look!

I only used ES to copy the folder from the internal card to the external SD-Card (which worked perfect)
Then I swapped the external SD-Card to my Smartphone and tried to do the same, just the other way round: from the external SD to the internal location of the TPE, and this does not work (don't know why).

On your smartphone does ES let you browse into the data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker/files folder OK? If it does, you should be able to copy just the actual data files. I don't know if something might stop you copying the whole folder... or are you trying to copy all of data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker? Maybe try Force Stop on the editor first? In any case, the 'files' sub-folder is all you need to copy tracks.

On your smartphone does ES let you browse into the data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker/files folder OK? If it does, you should be able to copy just the actual data files. I don't know if something might stop you copying the whole folder... or are you trying to copy all of data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker? Maybe try Force Stop on the editor first? In any case, the 'files' sub-folder is all you need to copy tracks.

I don't even find a folder named "files" on my tablet!!!
I only have a "jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker-1"-folder which is at
mnt/asec/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker-1
and in that folder is a "pkg.apk" and 2 sub-folders:
"lib" and
"lost+found".
In the "lib"-folder are 4 files:
libmain.so
libmono.so
libsecompanionutil.so
libunity.so

The "lost+found".folder is empty.
No "files"-folder as far as I can see.....
or am I just too stupid to find it? :confused:
I always fight against the Android file System! I'm more the Windows type of guy! :D

:banghead: :confused: :banghead:

I don't even find a folder named "files" on my tablet!!!
I only have a "jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker-1"-folder which is at
mnt/asec/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker-1
and in that folder is a "pkg.apk" and 2 sub-folders:
"lib" and
"lost+found".
In the "lib"-folder are 4 files:
libmain.so
libmono.so
libsecompanionutil.so
libunity.so

The "lost+found".folder is empty.
No "files"-folder as far as I can see.....
or am I just too stupid to find it? :confused:
I always fight against the Android file System! I'm more the Windows type of guy! :D

:banghead: :confused: :banghead:

Ohhh... did you move the App to SD? Don't do that!

That is not the folder you need to copy, there are no track data files in that one.
The one you want is that which is in the path I posted above......
nowcontrol said
data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker .. is the path
👍

Well, first of all I tend to think that before "data" something must be missing in the path!?
Which folder contains the folder "data"?
In "Device" I have a folder "data", but that one is empty.
I also have "data_1", "data_2" and "data_3", but they are ALL empty... :confused:

Ohhh... did you move the App to SD?
Don't do that!

Well, not to my knowledge and not deliberately!
Since KitKat I suppose all Apps are installed internally!?
I just downloaded the App from the Play Store, tapped on "Install" and that was all I did.
Nobody asked me WHERE to install it to.
However, on my external SD-Card I DO have a folder, but it is not named
"jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker"
but
"jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker-1" instead!
Dunno why, and this folder does not contain a subfolder "files" either! :banghead:
I'm at the end of my knowledge and as I said:
not that it really mattered, the App works okay, but I hate it when I don't know what my computers do and where they store their data!

Well, first of all I tend to think that before "data" something must be missing in the path!?
Which folder contains the folder "data"?
In "Device" I have a folder "data", but that one is empty.
I also have "data_1", "data_2" and "data_3", but they are ALL empty... :confused:

Is 'Root Explorer' turned on in ES's menu? Without that on, I see an empty data folder under Device. With it on, there's stuff in there including another data folder. (Turning it on gives me the full screen 'allow root access?' prompt).

Well, not to my knowledge and not deliberately!
Since KitKat I suppose all Apps are installed internally!?
I just downloaded the App from the Play Store, tapped on "Install" and that was all I did.
Nobody asked me WHERE to install it to.
However, on my external SD-Card I DO have a folder, but it is not named
"jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker"
but
"jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker-1" instead!
Dunno why, and this folder does not contain a subfolder "files" either! :banghead:
I'm at the end of my knowledge and as I said:
not that it really mattered, the App works okay, but I hate it when I don't know what my computers do and where they store their data!

Beyond my knowledge too. I just found that mnt/asec is something to do with Move to SD (and maybe other uses as well).

Is 'Root Explorer' turned on in ES's menu? Without that on, I see an empty data folder under Device. With it on, there's stuff in there including another data folder. (Turning it on gives me the full screen 'allow root access?' prompt).

I checked, but in my ES File Manager I cannot find a setting "Root Explorer"!
Isn't the whole ES File Manager an App that automatically requires root? :confused:
Anyway... it must have root privileges, since every time there is an update to ES File Manager and I open it up the 1st time after the update, I am asked if I allow root acces for this App.
I didn't find an extra setting in the menu.

Back