Where are the Course Save Files? - Android Tablet/Phone

• Thread starter Imari
  • 119 comments
Here's a comparison of a simple track displayed with ryanjuckett's js on canvas versus the path editor.

I get that it's not perfect, but probably good enough.

P4U3BzF.png

Last edited:
Here's a comparison of a simple track displayed with ryanjuckett's js on canvas versus the path editor.

Hmm, very close indeed. Still not sure if it confirms that they generally use the "keeping d1 and d2 equal" approach (with exceptions), because there could well be another way to choose the joint position that gives pretty much the same result. But, with that comparison, it's looking ever more likely that they do. Thanks for doing that!

When someone gets round to writing some code, a good way to test different methods would be to try and reproduce the thumbnails - they're actually a decent enough resolution to show up any significant differences.

I get that it's not perfect, but probably good enough.
Great job, you know the saying: perfect is the enemy of good. ;)

I think PD uses something different, because ryanjuckett's way is very sensitive to both tangents almost opposite and both points almost colinear to the tangents, whereas PD's way is pretty smooth there:
upload_2015-10-26_7-50-32.png
I had to fiddle with custom d1 to get the blue line straight with rj's way, but PD seems to prefer one line almost straight there. Been fiddling with the math over the weekend, but nothing came out yet, stay tuned. :)

Great job, you know the saying: perfect is the enemy of good. ;)

I think PD uses something different, because ryanjuckett's way is very sensitive to both tangents almost opposite and both points almost colinear to the tangents, whereas PD's way is pretty smooth there:
View attachment 468456
I had to fiddle with custom d1 to get the blue line straight with rj's way, but PD seems to prefer one line almost straight there. Been fiddling with the math over the weekend, but nothing came out yet, stay tuned. :)

That straight blue line could be a byproduct of preferring a larger radius on the red curve, while keeping the total curvature minimised. But yes, it's difficult to see how they would adjust d1 to get what they want!

@PR1VATEJ0KER Your web tool is very interesting, I've been experimenting with files from my iPad! I'll be to share anything new if I find anything.

Just trying to zoom in on PC, I'll get there eventually!

Last edited:
Great work is getting done with the Bin files and other efforts re Heights @Outspacer & @PR1VATEJ0KER.

Has anyone taken a swing @ the Android APK to find the constant for track length and anchor limit? if we could discern those then that limit would essentially disappear and long tracks with many anchors would be a natural effort within the mod'd app.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out...after I'm done editing the track in the online tool, I replace it back into the root folder (data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker/files/) but when I open the app up, the original non-edited version of the track is still there. What am I doing wrong?

(Forgot to mention, I'm using a rooted BlueStacks)

I was wondering if anyone could help me out...after I'm done editing the track in the online tool, I replace it back into the root folder (data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker/files/) but when I open the app up, the original non-edited version of the track is still there. What am I doing wrong?

(Forgot to mention, I'm using a rooted BlueStacks)
Look at the name. The web tool prefixes the file name with C-- or C__ (Browser dependent) with a bin extension. You need to remove the C--/C__ and change the bin to Bin. If the windows file system adds a (1) to prevent an overwrite, that needs removal as well.

Look at the name. The web tool prefixes the file name with C-- or C__ (Browser dependent) with a bin extension. You need to remove the C--/C__ and change the bin to Bin. If the windows file system adds a (1) to prevent an overwrite, that needs removal as well.
Thanks! This solved the problem, but now when I upload some sort of long track, my game crashes...

Thanks! This solved the problem, but now when I upload some sort of long track, my game crashes...
I would suggest starting over and incrementally adjust with the web tool till you get the hang of it. At least you will have a clue what is crashing the game.

I've been playing around with moving a track to different locations on the map. As in, track designed in Eifel Flat with a reference image, then changed the theme to Eifel, no problem. Then modifying the x,y of the home straight and all anchors by the same amounts, to try and put the track on an area with nice elevation changes.

But quite often, the editor willl crash when opening the track. I can work around that by renaming the fileset, then it opens and transfers fine.

So... somewhere, the app is remembering some extra info about tracks (or at least the last one edited). This seems to include some height info, since one time it didn't crash I ended up with a track 'on stilts', really high off the terrain:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/friend/Outspacer/course/1649001/
(after renaming, it had exactly the same elevation changes along the track, but correctly sat on the ground).

There's nothing much unknown about the save files, and there's not a lot in the shared_prefs files either. Where else might an android app stash some data?

Last edited:
I've been playing around with moving a track to different locations on the map. As in, track designed in Eifel Flat with a reference image, then changed the theme to Eifel, no problem. Then modifying the x,y of the home straight and all anchors by the same amounts, to try and put the track on an area with nice elevation changes.

But quite often, the editor willl crash when opening the track. I can work around that by renaming the fileset, then it opens and transfers fine.

So... somewhere, the app is remembering some extra info about tracks (or at least the last one edited). This seems to include some height info, since one time it didn't crash I ended up with a track 'on stilts', really high off the terrain:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/friend/Outspacer/course/1649001/

There's nothing much unknown about the save files, and there's not a lot in the shared_prefs files either. Where else might an android app stash some data?
I would try clearing the apps cache, them opening the track. May or may not help but I would at least try it.
Next I would scan for updates folders/files after a normal track save to see if Course Maker is saving some info in a secret location like it's app apk or an SQL database somewhere.

I would try clearing the apps cache, them opening the track. May or may not help but I would at least try it.
Next I would scan for updates folders/files after a normal track save to see if Course Maker is saving some info in a secret location like it's app apk or an SQL database somewhere.

I see this more as an opportunity to get more control, than a problem! The cache folder just contains some shaders, unless you meant somewhere else? The apps folder has no databases subfolder :( I know the app has permissions to write to its own data folder, and the sdcard, but I can't spot anything changing in those.

I see this more as an opportunity to get more control, than a problem! The cache folder just contains some shaders, unless you meant somewhere else? The apps folder has no databases subfolder :( I know the app has permissions to write to its own data folder, and the sdcard, but I can't spot anything changing in those.
I meant Manage Apps>Course Maker>Clear Cache via device settings. Leave data alone though.

I meant Manage Apps>Course Maker>Clear Cache via device settings. Leave data alone though.
Ah, ok, thanks. That clears the cache folder I was looking at. I can't think of anywhere else to look, but it must be storing it somewhere!

Wow. I am so far behind it's not even funny. You guys have been hard at work here as it's easy to see wall the hard work you've all done. Im running a rooted version of bluestacks since I cannot afford a phone at the moment and my current one is dead and in need of a charger. It seems we just upload to the web address ryanjuckett and outspacer have and from there we can modify the tracks? I have been looking for the root folder within Windows, but Windows says it cannot find the folder. I have typed in the path manually as Windows does not show it (hidden):

data/data/jp.co.polyphony.GTCourseMaker/files/

and C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks\UserData\SharedFolder is as far as I can go befor I turn up empty. Literally. Any suggestions? I hate to bother, but of all the reading and asking around I have done, no one wants to help. It's frustrating so I'm hoping you all would be so kind to assist if it isn't much trouble. :)

Wow. I am so far behind it's not even funny. You guys have been hard at work here as it's easy to see wall the hard work you've all done. Im running a rooted version of bluestacks since I cannot afford a phone at the moment and my current one is dead and in need of a charger. It seems we just upload to the web address ryanjuckett and outspacer have and from there we can modify the tracks? I have been looking for the root folder within Windows, but Windows says it cannot find the folder. I have typed in the path manually as Windows does not show it (hidden):

and C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks\UserData\SharedFolder is as far as I can go befor I turn up empty. Literally. Any suggestions? I hate to bother, but of all the reading and asking around I have done, no one wants to help. It's frustrating so I'm hoping you all would be so kind to assist if it isn't much trouble. :)

from the app store get root explorer
that will let you access the
folder in bluestacks

put a check mark in the box to the right of the files you want to copy
click on the copy Icon
then switch to the files tab

browse to the shared folder
then click copy here

now from Windows, you can see the file you just copied out of bluestacks in the
C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks\UserData\SharedFolder
folder

after you use the on-line track editor
just reverse the copy process.

here is an unlisted video I made of the process.

Note: when I save my edited track, I just use the same name as the existing track.
Capitalization in the name and .Bin extension is important.

1.0.2 released today. Update Details

Since it hasn't been mentioned here I thought I would, wonder if they counter act the simplicity of editing the track files like they did with game saves.

Last edited:
from the app store get root explorer
that will let you access the
folder in bluestacks

put a check mark in the box to the right of the files you want to copy
click on the copy Icon
then switch to the files tab

browse to the shared folder
then click copy here

now from Windows, you can see the file you just copied out of bluestacks in the
C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks\UserData\SharedFolder
folder

after you use the on-line track editor
just reverse the copy process.

here is an unlisted video I made of the process.

Note: when I save my edited track, I just use the same name as the existing track.
Capitalization in the name and .Bin extension is important.

Thanks a ton! I will get to this as soon as I have spare time. Been busy with the holiday and other things springing up here and there. Trying to decide on what classes to take next semester too. I will get back to this thread as soon as I give it all a try.

As for PD moving files around, I think it may have happened as someone wanted a modded track I downloaded from a friend and he said it wasn't in the track lists. Maybe sharing the modded tracks had now been blocked for the time being until they can release a patch to stop us from adding these tracks to our game? Just my speculation, if it means anything. :)

Back