Where did PD go Wrong?

• Thread starter MaDHaX
  • 429 comments
In many videos (either for GT5P or GT5 or GT6) - i mean trailers or intros. Some cars sounds were just astonishing. Why is this missing from the ingame?

Because the sounds were dubbed after the fact. Hence why (as an example) there was that Tesla with the snarling engine note for one of the GT5 trailers.

But the strange stuff, like the moon mission, the weirder old cars that can barely make it up hills, and the car wash that does nothing are all the things that give GT it's personality. Look at how hard forza is trying to have personality by stealing top gear's personality. I would rather have a little less polish and a little more personality.
I respect your opinion and am glad that someone finds enjoyment from those things. I have nothing against it but I don't think the subject of the game should suffer for it.

This brings me back to the focus of Gran Turismo and the tagline "The real driving simulator." If Kaz really just wants to simulate driving then AI, tire/fuel use, pit stops, and practice/qualifying are all secondary features - unraceable/fantasy vehicles, star simulation, and the lunar surface are perfectly fine to focus on instead. I can't speak for you but I want a racing simulator, and I thought that's what Kaz wanted GT to be.

(Damn, I haven't been here in a while...just made a new account instead of looking up my old one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itasha

Actually...yeah, I do want such crazy Liveries on GT. Because why not? Some of us have different taste than you ya know. How dare people have fun! How dare people treat cars as canvases for art! How dare people not view cars as only good when utterly pristine!

And by the way, official Itasha exist:
Studie_GLAD_BMW_Z4_2008_Super_GT_qualifying.jpg

And besides that...there's plenty of real examples:

s3-2.jpg

tumblr_l3s8yvUpPb1qzqua1

(Yes, that's an Ita-Ferrari)

Stuff like the ability to create Itasha is why I eventually made the switch over to Forza. You know, besides the better physics, the rock-solid framerate, the idea that the devs actually listened to their fans....

I used to have a bunch of Itasha on FM4, you're lucky my account's pics have all disappeared due to age or I'd flood this post with them. I loved racing online with them, making people like you mad is hilarious.

By the way, as a Japanese game...GT would have WAY more Itasha than FM4 ever would.

Seriously, it is important to be able to map anime/manga graphics onto the cars?

Where did PD go wrong?

There are several issues regarding PD and GT6 and I'll try and state some of the more major issues off of the top of my head

• PD is understaffed which means either development time increases or cuts have to be made. The main aspect that is affected is the plethora of standard cars that still take up the majority of the cars in GT6. I don't know what they're going to do for GT7 on PS4 if the release date of 2015 is true, keeping standard cars is big no-no for next gen. On the other hand Turn 10 has around double the employees as PD do which is why premium cars take longer to model.
  • The AI fails to provide a challenge, some people may not have an issue with the AI but for me and plenty of others the AI is unsatisfactory. They slow down significantly in the final lap or two enough for me to wonder if the cars have oil leakages or other major issues :boggled:
  • Lack of grid starts, this may be linked to the AI as PD might have known the AI was shoddy and this was compensated by using rolling starts so they wouldn't be overtaken after the first corner.
  • The sounds - this is probably biggest gripe with this game, they sound too 'digital' and not authentic as sounds such as the physical sound of changing gears etc. and the sounds are made even worse when equipping certain tuning parts such as a racing exhaust or customisable transmission. IMO the best car sounds in a racing game/simulator is R3E, I love the way the Z4 GT3 sounds in the following video:

and here is a comparison between R3E and GT6 in terms of sound:

The only sound in GT6 that I've found to be remotely authentic is the Red Bull Jr X2014 which isn't even a real car

• No liver editor. The addition of a livery editor would mean that we could be able to recreate some of our favourite cars or replicate the look of a certain car, either way features such as this would be an addition that would've made less people think GT6 was just GT5 3.0
I'm sure there's something I've missed out but

They left thier roots instead if sticking to thier focus meaning the "GAME" itself they are focusing on GT Academy episodes etc.

I could almost swear all the employees quit and went to go work for Asetto Corza or Forza, it's unbelievable what has been going on with Gran Turismo they have become a cash cow ever wonder why they hav'nt come out with season races yet? Because they paid out the most money, they rather pay nothing to frustrate a person to go buy credits or play the game for hours on, I have children I can't focus all my time on a game for hours on as much as I like too.

Now charging $ online for a garage & credits, whats next Charge for interior cars & rims? I can just see a GT6 come out soon on PS4 & PD charging everything all over again, from the Disc to garage & DLC again, I been with them since day one and have never seen anything like this in a game I play many titles.
"HOW THE MIGHTY HAS FALLEN"

Yes it's very sad. As radical as it might sound, GT as a game itself no longer seems to be the #1 priority for PD. And it's only getting worse, I'm afraid. GT6 is still salvageable, but I foresee something really bad happening in the future with GT7. Be prepared to spend at least $200 in DLC + disc to get a game with probably no more than half the content GT6 has. That's IF PD and Kaz are not busy playing race car drivers in real life, filming movies, playing with boats or just putting the GT logo in things that no one cares about.

But seriously Forza has awful driving experience compared to the real life counterparts. I work as a valet driver and I've had my chances to drive a lot of the cars in Gran Turismo and Forza. A big example is the Toyota Supra RZ. When I tried it in Forza 4 it felt...light. It just flew into an oversteer slide every time I turned the car. In real life, the Supra's torque-y engine and heavy chassis gives it some understeer before snap oversteer when you accelerate into said corner.

This is one of the reasons why I never use valet parking.

This is one of the reasons why I never use valet parking.
U can't base a game on one silly experience valet parking you say? What did you do turn at 3 miles phr. Down a parking slope into the parking space, you call that racing.

Bottom line the racing experience is better on Forza then GT Series look at all the reviews etc.

U can't base a game on one silly experience valet parking you say? What did you do turn at 3 miles phr. Down a parking slope into the parking space, you call that racing.

Bottom line the racing experience is better on Forza then GT Series look at all the reviews etc.
I'm guessing you've never been a valet or knew anyone who was.
If you think your car is in good hands, being driven 3mph to the nearest empty parking spot, think again.

I think they should have focused more striking a balance between features and performance. In order to get an acceptable frame rate I need to downgrade from 1080p to 720p, from cockpit to bumper cam, and from normal quality to sharpen. I'm ok with that but it's kind of funny considering that GT4 runs smoothly on a PS2 in 1080i, looks good, and is a lot of fun to boot.

The hard truth may be that they were never right in the first place.

Of course the first Gran Turismo was revolutionary at the time but the majority of the faults we see today applied to that game back in 97. There was just no comparable competition so we dealt with it (and the qualities of the game blew our mind so we accepted its faults).

Now you have at least one direct competitor which while not beating GT in every area beats it on a significant number of bullet points and especially does right quite a number of things that GT does wrong (engine sounds, for the most blatant one). And on top of that most of the faults that were already noticed at the time were never fixed (seriously go reread some of the GT1 reviews and you'll read a number of interesting stuff like "no damage at all" and "brain dead AI"). And by never I don't mean it in some come and goes kind of way with some of the games having half decent AI or introducing some form of damage. No. No GT in past history have had : decent sound engines, remotely acceptable AI, damage modeling that would go beyond just screwing with your steering, or even a good UI (god GT1 UI was already awful).

So we have a series which improved the graphics and the physics with every game, and nothing else (adding Rallying is nice and all but it's only a graphics and physics update).

So yeah, the series is stale from the beginning. At that point I just don't see how this franchise could be saved anymore, I mean other than by going back to the drawing board and rethinking everything.

And I'm not talking of technicalities such as standard cars and engine sounds or framerate and stuff which could always be improved. No I'm talking of rethinking the entire game so it doesn't feel like a patchwork of thrown-up ideas with no sense of direction at all.

Last edited:
Seriously, it is important to be able to map anime/manga graphics onto the cars?

It's important to be able to map graphics onto cars, full stop.

If as a byproduct of that, some people have the chance to map anime stuff onto cars, then so be it. It's hardly a strike against the concept. Give people the opportunity to decorate cars as they wish, and they'll put whatever is attractive to them on it. Many will stick to racing liveries, simplistic designs, or plain colours of their choosing (must...make...Cherry Black...Shinka...). A few will do itasha and other "crazy" stuff.

That people would use a livery editor for artistic purposes is a GOOD thing. You might not like looking at it, but the player enjoyed making that livery. Fostering creativity is a great thing for a game to do.

PD definitely went wrong on the whole concept of getting money. Why don't the Seasonal Events give us 1 million for gold like they used to? Right they want us to buy the stupid ass micro-transactions which I believe shouldn't even exist! I just want better pay for Online races, Shuffle Racing, Random option under Course Vote, and all together more ways to get money fast without having to grind the damn red bull races.

PD definitely went wrong on the whole concept of getting money. Why don't the Seasonal Events give us 1 million for gold like they used to? Right they want us to buy the stupid ass micro-transactions which I believe shouldn't even exist! I just want better pay for Online races, Shuffle Racing, Random option under Course Vote, and all together more ways to get money fast without having to grind the damn red bull races.

I find it entertaining that there's always one race that pays substantially more than the others. You'd think they'd learn eventually to make all the races (or at least all of the end game races) mostly equal in terms of money per time invested, so that people could just grind whatever they wanted instead of the PD assigned grindy race.

It'd take a lot of the grind out of grinding if you could just do whatever.

Yes it would be nice if there were more races that pay well. I would love to have a 2 lap race around the Ring in Street Cars under 600PP on Sport Tires that would pay say 125K 250k with the 200% bonus. I would run that one over and over again but as is there is no race ont he ring other than the 24 minutes race which pays well and While weather and day night are good additions I really don;t want to drive at night in the rain every time.

Would be even better if we had the PP difference bonus in there as well

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Have you driven any of the cars in real life that are in both Forza and GT? Well I have, and I can confirm that GT's cars handle and feel much more like they're real life counterparts. All the FR cars in Forza just slide because they can and Supercars are the easiest things in the world to drive. They aren't.

And subpar physics engine? Are you being serious right now? Compared to 5 and Forza, the physics engine alone makes GT6 worth buying. Cars have actual body roll now and tuning actually works for your own setup like say a real car. And what's not realistic about an accurate star map and a lighting engine that actually has some people confuse the game for reality? Say whatever you want, but I'd play GT in a heartbeat.

That's one thing they did get right the physics. If you own a car in the game you'd know for sure that no game comes close. I've owned 4 but besides that if you know cars and have driven plenty or are around them or go to the track a lot (me) you wouldn't have anything to say about the physics of the game. PD has something golden there.

As has been stated.. Taking a feature out that was in GT5 and making it a "future update".. PD overshot on their feature list for GT6 and to this day web retailers still list the promised features that have NOT been added to the game. PD should be a bit ashamed of this and correct the advertising for the game (at least put an asterisk next to the features that are still unavailable) and give a definitive statement on where these features stand. As of now I can't say for sure if I'll ever trust anything that Kaz or PD say about their game.. I don't want to feel like that but I also don't like false advertising.

That's one thing they did get right the physics. If you own a car in the game you'd know for sure that no game comes close. I've owned 4 but besides that if you know cars and have driven plenty or are around them or go to the track a lot (me) you wouldn't have anything to say about the physics of the game. PD has something golden there.
I will give you that the physics in 6 are much better than 5, but they did not model all the cars right. The E-Type Jag is one of the more "tail happy" cars in the game, in real life it is not even close. Mine was a 68 convertible instead of the coupe in the game , but was still a series 1 E-Type with the same 4.2 I6. As a matter of fact, all the Jags I have owned, driven and tracked, 54 XK120 - 68 E-Type and the 90 XJS stick to the road like glue and it is difficult at best to break the rear end loose even when trying.

I will give you that the physics in 6 are much better than 5, but they did not model all the cars right. The E-Type Jag is one of the more "tail happy" cars in the game, in real life it is not even close. Mine was a 68 convertible instead of the coupe in the game , but was still a series 1 E-Type with the same 4.2 I6. As a matter of fact, all the Jags I have owned, driven and tracked, 54 XK120 - 68 E-Type and the 90 XJS stick to the road like glue and it is difficult at best to break the rear end loose even when trying.
I don't know if they corrected it, but the F40 was a dog to drive in GT5, whilst in real life it isn't. I bet the more people you can find here that owned rather particular cars (not the average grocery runners), you would find that although the physics engine in GT is very good, the cars don't mimic their real life counterparts in a lot of cases.

Anyway we need a couple of more GTP'ers that would know both real life/ in game cars to find that out.

When GT6 released i thought great!! A game that will build on GT5's shortcomings and keep me busy well into 2014, I had great hopes and reasonably satisfied with the game when it released with the promised of many updates and features that were advertised before launch!

Now into march 2014 and PD has fail to deliver any of the updates/dlc's that were promised way before march! I fear that when the updates finally come and DLC is released i won't care much for GT6 as to be honest i haven't played it in weeks.

A life long GT fanboy here very unsatisfied with PD's actions.
I mean if certain features are a long way away from being released don't advertise the game with them before launch! thought they would've learned this after the GT5 release delays drama.

The worse part of it is the communication coming from PD is next to none so no clue what to expect and when...
I still love the game but GT has always been a game where i play for months and months after launch and this time around i've stopped playing GT6 within the first 2 months.

Yes it's very sad. As radical as it might sound, GT as a game itself no longer seems to be the #1 priority for PD. And it's only getting worse, I'm afraid. GT6 is still salvageable, but I foresee something really bad happening in the future with GT7. Be prepared to spend at least $200 in DLC + disc to get a game with probably no more than half the content GT6 has. That's IF PD and Kaz are not busy playing race car drivers in real life, filming movies, playing with boats or just putting the GT logo in things that no one cares about.

Best post ive read for ages..

I am so out now, gt6 is an incomplete joke..

Back