Where is the Gran Turismo spirit?

• Thread starter MacBaby
  • 77 comments
Denmark
Denmark
MacBabyDK
I've been a fan of Gran Turismo since I played GT 1 in my uncles house. What hooked me on GT in comparison to other racing games at the time, was that almost no matter what road car you had in real life, you were able to find it in GT, tune it up and race it. You could decide in detail which kind of exhaust you wanted, and change the parts individually as you liked. You could build a career in different class races, from the most niche British Classic Cars races, FF only, Tour of Japan or whatever you liked. You could take licenses and progress in your career. The game enhanced and developed these features in GT4, GT5 and until GT6.

In GT Sport it seems like everything has changed. Career mode is as good as gone? Until now, only 164 cars are confirmed, heck, even GT1 had more cars than that, and GT6 had over 1,200! Will over 1,000 cars magically be added in future updates? I highly doubt it. The detailed tuning is gone, now you tune the cars like in the most arcade-like games that exist, with a slider! Where is the spirit of Gran Turismo? The features that made Gran Turismo special, seem to have disappeared in GTS, and I am seriously thinking of just sticking to GT6, or move over to PC2, because I feel that GTS is a hit-and-a-miss in many aspects, and that it has developed into something that is very far from the previous GT-titles, and I fear that GTS will make many people abandon the series.

I've been a fan of Gran Turismo since I played GT 1 in my uncles house. What hooked me on GT in comparison to other racing games at the time, was that almost no matter what road car you had in real life, you were able to find it in GT, tune it up and race it. You could decide in detail which kind of exhaust you wanted, and change the parts individually as you liked. You could build a career in different class races, from the most niche British Classic Cars races, FF only, Tour of Japan or whatever you liked. You could take licenses and progress in your career. The game enhanced and developed these features in GT4, GT5 and until GT6.

In GT Sport it seems like everything has changed. Career mode is as good as gone? Until now, only 164 cars are confirmed, heck, even GT1 had more cars than that, and GT6 had over 1,200! Will over 1,000 cars magically be added in future updates? I highly doubt it. The detailed tuning is gone, now you tune the cars like in the most arcade-like games that exist, with a slider! Where is the spirit of Gran Turismo? The features that made Gran Turismo special, seem to have disappeared in GTS, and I am seriously thinking of just sticking to GT6, or move over to PC2, because I feel that GTS is a hit-and-a-miss in many aspects, and that it has developed into something that is very far from the previous GT-titles, and I fear that GTS will make many people abandon the series.
missed that GT sport disappointed me, i played gt1 to gt 5 and sport is bad !
i will miss legendary gt old school
also less car on gt sport

It's not GT7. It's GT Sport. That's why it's different. It wasn't meant to be the same. That's why the name change. This game is more geared around Motorsports and not around car encyclopedia and collecting.
Well, unless they release a GT7 promptly then, I'm convinced that they will lose a huge part of their fanbase, those who love the collecting and tweaking part, which I think is a lot.

It's not GT7. It's GT Sport.

This seems to be the thing. This game is a online racing game with offline training only; NOT Gran Turismo. Gone is what was always the soul for old-school GT fans: the campaign. It let you live the fantasy of being a race driver in every dream car -- and regular car -- you ever wished you had -- even if you weren't especially skilled.

I don't have a problem with this game conceptually. If this is the direction Polyphony wants to go, then great. I just feel like it would have been better to not embargo the reviews and make really clear communication to the fan base that this game is ONLY for those with the skills to play an online racing game. As it stands I think Sony wanted to make sure this game sold at the kind of volume a regular GT game will sell at; so they downplayed the lack of features.

Well, unless they release a GT7 promptly then, I'm convinced that they will lose a huge part of their fanbase, those who love the collecting and tweaking part, which I think is a lot.

More than likely the fans will dutifully wait a few years until the actual Gran Turismo (7) is released and then buy it. The old school fans playing since GT 1 are gluttons for punishment. We stoically suffer onward waiting for the game we really want.

As a busy person who was so looking forward to that old excitement at a new GT title; I was so sad last night. Even after playing many hours...it just felt dead to me. I basically was put though several hours of not-so-fun training for an online game I will never be good enough to enjoy. I'll keep trying; because I want to understand where they are going with this...but this game just makes me sad.

I just want a modern version of GT3/GT4...but I guess that is not to be.

What percentage of car enthusiasts really have the skills it takes to be online racing stars? What about those who just want to buy a game for fantasy escape from reality?

Sorry. I know everyone is sick of whiners. I apologize if this game is what you hoped for; and wish you the best in the extensive online racing experience that Polyphony has poured so much into promoting.

I see where you're coming from, but it's called Gran Turismo Sport & not Gran Turismo 7 for a reason.

Apart from only being able to save your game if you're online, I love the new approach. It's fresh, very polished & graphically beautiful. The gameplay is very competitive & refreshing. The car list doesn't matter, it's the fun factor & quality which counts. And Gran Turismo Sport has both of those things.

*In my Opinion*.

The car list doesn't matter, it's the fun factor & quality which counts.
More content can always be added, but it's very hard to fix something that has broken fundamentals. I think their approach is right this time. 👍

It's not GT7. It's GT Sport. That's why it's different. It wasn't meant to be the same. That's why the name change. This game is more geared around Motorsports and not around car encyclopedia and collecting.

There are countless amounts of people here that seem to ignore this. It isn't part of the main series - it's a standalone title with the spirit of GT baked onto it.

There are countless amounts of people here that seem to ignore this. It isn't part of the main series - it's a standalone title with the spirit of GT baked onto it.
GTS is Gran Turismo now, not a standalone title or offshoot.

I understand that you could maybe say, that is it not a part of the series, but in that case, they could have for instance launched GT7 as a successor of the GT-series, and maybe at more or less the same time launch GT Sport, which would be based at the same game, but with that arcade-like theme that GTS apparently has. Or vice versa. Bottom line is, that I think it's wrong to release a totally different kind of game, four years after GT6, where you'd expect GT7 to lunch. But well, I don't work for PD, so it's not my call.

Now I understand! I just wish they made it all together instead of separating SPORT and a possible GT7 for the near future. I was dedicated to purchase g29 steering wheel so that I can race with my favorite classic cars.

In the community. I mean in the big growing GT drivers' community. The new feel was started by GT5 Prologue and here we are now. Less than one hour from the start. The spirit is kicking high!

That's correct. Sort of like what Horizon is to FM. Question is will there ever be an actual GT7 or has the series forever turned the corner into this direction.

Now I understand! I just wish they made it all together instead of separating SPORT and a possible GT7 for the near future. I was dedicated to purchase g29 steering wheel so that I can race with my favorite classic cars.
Funny thing, I actually bought a G29 today, and expected to buy the game at launch at midnight. After I read about what people told about their experiences with the game, I returend the wheel, and I'm not planning on picking up GTS right at this moment.

Same. It's got that GT5 Prologue vibe to it, which is great. 👍

This 👍

Not a bad thing for me, as GT5P was the most fun I have in any game since GT1 (and what a revolution that was!).

I've not enjoyed GT on line since GT5P. But really clicked with GTS in line in the beta.

I'll enjoy the license tests and missions as much as always, and the 'Ring will be ever present (particularly as I can now drive Porsche in GT for the 1st time!), but looking forward most to many hours on line in the months and years to come.

That's correct. Sort of like what Horizon is to FM. Question is will there ever be an actual GT7 or has the series forever turned the corner into this direction.

Where have PD actually stated this is not a GT6 sequel? Is everyone just assuming so because it's not called GT7?

I think the biggest change is that without internet connection you can't access anything except Arcade mode and progress won't be saved. That's terrible.

People are so forgiving of Kaz and co even though they constantly overpromise and underdeliver and create lots of lovely reasons why it's a-ok :/

People don't like change. The formula that people fell in love with since the original Gran Turismo in1997, that formula is changing. There will be resistance, but resistance is futile -- GT SPORT IS HERE. I just can't stand it when people are already criticizing the game as a whole on the very first day of release. Good grief, give it a chance.
Kaz has stated repeatedly that GT Sport is the beginning of a new era for Gran Turismo. That is a big statement, and it is showing in this latest release. People will eventually adjust and learn to love it, and the Gran Turismo spirit will live on :D
See you on the track!
P.S. Game updates will bring huge content. Be patient.

Where have PD actually stated this is not a GT6 sequel? Is everyone just assuming so because it's not called GT7?

It's plain as day. It's in the name. There is a reason they called it Sport instead of 7. I'm pretty sure if I recall correctly it's been explained by Kaz himself.

I quick search found this on geek.com

Screenshot_20171017-165044.png

And I'm sure If we got another glorified Car collecting time trial app of a game with better graphics people complain even more about no changes and how the game has been the same old nonsense since GT5. Atleast PD is actually doing something fresh and new for better experience and car culture in general.

Latest Posts

Back