Where should the next Horizon Festival be held?

• Thread starter Populuxe
  • 59 comments
Crete(Greece) drove there, at my own risk, haha. North shore roads are twisty, hilly with an ocean view....

That might be very cool. I like the idea of driving through old villages and towns, with amazing architecture from the past. Greece is extremely beautiful as well and would provide amazing scenery. Would be something new and fresh.

That might be very cool. I like the idea of driving through old villages and towns, with amazing architecture from the past. Greece is extremely beautiful as well and would provide amazing scenery. Would be something new and fresh.

OR....a well groomed trail through the Samaria Gorge for a few miles. After all we're just dreaming. I agree that Greece would be new and eciting.

If it was Japan, they could start with Fujimi Kaido. Add more roads going in and out of FK, place the festival outside the small town at the base of the mountain, and build out from there. That could be pretty awesome.

I was thinking maybe somewhere in Eastern Australia; Sydney for example. The Blue Mountains out west has some great twisty and tight roads, and up North in the Central Coast; some of the roads there are great too.

If it was Japan, they could start with Fujimi Kaido. Add more roads going in and out of FK, place the festival outside the small town at the base of the mountain, and build out from there. That could be pretty awesome.

👍; Compress the Fujimi Kaido with the urbanization & highways of tokyo/yokohama and set the festival in the middle:P

Forza Horizon 2, stretching from Tokyo's shuto kousoku beltlines into the west, over the countryside, and to the city of Fuji, with Fujimi Kaido and others surrounding it?

shut_up_and_take_my_money.png

Since this is pretty much 'vote for where you live', I'll vote for the UK, preferably the West Midlands. We have some lovely road... works, and plenty of potholes. :P

In all seriousness, Japan would be awesome, especially if they added some Touge and a bit of the Wangan. :drool:

E28
Since this is pretty much 'vote for where you live', I'll vote for the UK, preferably the West Midlands. We have some lovely road... works, and plenty of potholes. :P

In all seriousness, Japan would be awesome, especially if they added some Touge and a bit of the Wangan. :drool:

This is a vote for somewhere I don't live...New Zealand, awesome in any direction around Christchurch.

I would love to see The Big Island Hawaii. I know there's TDU/TDU2 but I know these developers can do so much better! Hawaii has amazing scenery and elevation!

Australia, Greece, the Appalachians all sound great but not the UK please. I'm being selfish and hoping for a more escapist location.

If despite this they were decide to set it in the Peak District or something I hope they'd at least tweak the lighting engine so it was sunny at least some of the time. That said rain (and snow) would be awesome wherever the festival decides to pitch up next.

Florida would be horribly boring. Same goes for almost all of Texas. I think US east coast would be pretty awesome. If anyone has ever been to Maine, they would know there are some absolutely epic driving roads up there. In addition, it would dodge the typical video game paradigms, being a location very different from most places found in popular entertainment. For those that have never been, it's much like Newfoundland, where they host the Targa Newfoundland each year.

Should give you some idea:
Maine-Landscape-1.jpg

carriage-road-011.jpg

maine_roads_by_voyager01-d30rsz6.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Just think about this. How awesome would it be to be driving along a rocky coastal shoreline with a nor'easter storm blowing in, sending ocean spray over you as you hammer down the coast, windshield wipers on max and foglights peering through the dense mist.

👍

I agree just throwing it out there but yea a east coast involving several states would not be bad but someone brought up Greece, now that would be nice and great views with history.

I was shovelling snow off my driveway, for the fifth time this winter, when while watching cars go by that it occurred to me the next country should be Switzerland.

The game should also have two seasons.

Summer:= Green, grass trees, ice and dry.
Winter:=White everywhere and slippery. That way some us Northern: cold weather, slick ice, snow packed, fog ladened, four wheel drivers might actually have a chance winning a few races. haha.

We have no 'Life in the Fast Lane" in winter = slow going, road conditions.
We have no 'Life in the Fast Lane" in summer = old folks driving in it.

I think germany or japan would be nice. Japan for the wangan and mountain roads and germany for the autobahn.

Florida would be horribly boring. Same goes for almost all of Texas. I think US east coast would be pretty awesome. If anyone has ever been to Maine, they would know there are some absolutely epic driving roads up there. In addition, it would dodge the typical video game paradigms, being a location very different from most places found in popular entertainment. For those that have never been, it's much like Newfoundland, where they host the Targa Newfoundland each year.

Maine-Landscape-1.jpg

carriage-road-011.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Just think about this. How awesome would it be to be driving along a rocky coastal shoreline with a nor'easter storm blowing in, sending ocean spray over you as you hammer down the coast, windshield wipers on max and foglights peering through the dense mist.

👍

Wow, these ideas are brilliant. Locations like these would be a real treat in an open road game.

Especially that last suggestion... the ocean spray hitting your car... or even rain, hail or snow hammering down on you, as you negotiate a tight hilly road with beams and fog lights on full, wipers on max...couple all of that with day/night cycles... possibilities are endless. All this should of course reflect on the cars; getting caked with dirt or rain/snow.

Next-gen processors better bring this to the table! :D

Northern California and Oregon:::

Just think about this. How awesome would it be to be driving along a rocky coastal shoreline with a nor'wester storm blowing in, sending ocean spray over you as you hammer down the coast, windshield wipers on max and foglights peering through the dense mist.

👍

Just saying....:lol:

Maine-Landscape-1.jpg

carriage-road-011.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

👍

Why oh why does everyone want Forza franchise to turn into Dirt, or all rally? What about the street races? I stay in my STI in game so I love both but don't want to be stuck in rally. I think there needs to be a good mixture of both for the game to be playable. Texas and Florida would not be completly boring Florida has the best roads I have ever been on IMHO IRL no potholes every 5 seconds. Texas on the other hand has lots of over passes in the Dallas and Houston area. If one was to really take Dallas seriously and do a complete replica of the roads out here there could be excellent rally roads and racing streets and tracks that can be made with the roads out here. To give you an example:

Dallas Built Corvette Video
Dallas-Fort-Worth-TX.jpg

Dal-High_Five_xchange.jpg

^I can already see the suggested line on this road :D
35_dnt_looking_s_at_635_2005-04-11_ADJ_900.jpg

TexasFarmersvilleDirtRoadStephenMichaels0204.jpg

256-WEB.jpg

guadalupe-mtn-500x333.jpg

dallas-skyline-at-night-jeremy-woodhouse.jpg

So Colorado, France/Italy, soon Australia...

What should be next?

My vote would have to go to Japan. The off-road options might be much more constrained there, but FH3 looks like it'll probably be the most off-road heavy Horizon game to date so it'll be a refreshing change of pace for FH4 to be asphalt-heavy.

Maybe as a substitute for fun off-road action, they can include RC cars since that's a big thing in Japan? That'd actually be kinda hilarious, especially if it was fully fleshed out with upgrading and everything rather than just a shallow gag like in Auto Modellista. This could even be used as the way to get off-road races into a Japan setting. :lol:

Japan is kind of an obvious and highly-wanted choice, so given PG/T10's recent track record, it will be the last place they'd ever put into a Horizon game. Or they'll troll people by setting the game in South Korea and then making a $20 expansion pack that takes you to one of Japan's nearby lesser islands.

I would gladly take a Horizon game based in South Korea. :D

But yeah, I'm thinking that the low off-roading opportunities would make Playground Games shy away from taking the series to Japan. They might feel that fans expect off-roading in a Horizon game at this point, and to a degree they'd probably be right. People here would be fine with a Horizon game that lacked it, but the average casual gamer might dislike the shift and feel that it doesn't fit with the rest of the Horizon series.

But to that, I say they can just go play Horizon 1-3. Horizon's appeal is open world racing in interesting locations, not being the rally racing alternative for the mainline series. :P

Last edited:
Horizon Asia sounds like a fair shout, South Korea or Japan being top locations.

Maybe South Africa could be a decent fit for Horizon 4?

Yeah, could definitely see something based around Cape Town. Just based off of some Googling, it looks like it might be a bit similar to FH2's setting. I'd personally prefer to see something a bit different and fresh for the next Horizon like an Asian setting or maybe something like Sweden, but it'd definitely be a suitable location for the series to explore at some point.

The series is overdue for a substantial range of elevation after blithely skipping out on notable hillclimbs into the Rockies or the Alps. At least FH1 had the Red Rock canyon road. FH2's map failed to deliver on its potential, doubly disappointing if you remember the mountain pass homespace in FM4. It only had bits and pieces of that kind of driving experience scattered across the map, not even as long as the gravel access road to the bottom of the Finley Dam in FH1.

Even casual players can get behind pretending to make tofu deliveries, or whatever the local foodstuff would be. Granted, the road would be as wide as a superfreeway, like Fujimi Kaido.

How long will I have to wait for an open world driving game with a hardcore map and hardcore physics?

With FM3 set in Australia, that'll mean we've had (or will have) settings that include dirt roads, freeways, countryside, jungle, desert, beaches, rivers, towns, villages, cities...so how about a location that also includes a fair amount of snow??

If it's in Japan, I believe a 1:1 replica of the Shuto expressway and Wangan of Tokyo, with generic Tokyo-esque cityscape with famous Tokyo landmarks like the imperial palace, Budokan, Akihabara, Tokyo tower, etc etc in the middle (and as the base of the Festival) in that area. Once you leave Tokyo, the expressway becomes generic until you come to a fictionalised version of Osaka with the Hanshin expressway and specifically Kanjo lines represented 1:1 with again fictionalised and condensed Osaka in the centre area. In the land between, there'd be mountainous terrain based on the mountains of the Gunma region (featuring touge based on Haruna/Akina, Akagi, Usui, Irohozaka, etc) along with fields and hills and perhaps even a fictionalised Mt Fuji and surrounding forest. And maybe little towns representing Nagoya and Kyoto, along with some villages of the Kanto region. A strong emphasis on Japanese cars of the 70s-90s in the car list.

Another idea is the Scottish Highlands, specifically Glen Coe and Loch Ness, the most iconic and scenic places in Scotland. And perhaps surrounding Glens and Lochs.

And a final idea is Iceland. Featuring lots of volcanic plains and tundra and snow and arctic lakes. with the festival based close to Reykjavík. Maybe even feature an active volcano.

Last edited:
Back